New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1264 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Strangely enough, the Creature in the Darkness has already witnessed Redcloak casting this spell, without wondering what "Gate" he was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    probably was distracted by mistaking desert for dessert!
    Yes, MitD is facing Xykon and focused on the possibility of delicious food, ignoring the cleric casting the 9th level spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So... What other costs are Redcloak talking about regarding this spell?
    If the summoned creature can't take care of the request quickly, they must be paid. Sometimes in coin, sometimes in other things. I wonder if Redcloak is about to offer MitD in exchange for a horde of Modrons. I linked to the SRD for the Gate spell above.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, if the EULA (sorry, ESLA) is chanted in full, doesn't that mean the Order have weeks to plan before TE can do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    If the summoned creature can't take care of the request quickly, they must be paid. Sometimes in coin, sometimes in other things. I wonder if Redcloak is about to offer MitD in exchange for a horde of Modrons. I linked to the SRD for the Gate spell above.
    I doubt it. If we assume it'll take less than an hour, it's 500gp per HD of the modron he called (any secondary ones who come along for the ride are gravy), half that if we consider mapping to be "non-hazardous". (I doubt it'll take longer than an hour). If CR matches the number of Hit Dice, that would be 7000gp for a Quinton (3.5k if "nonhazardous).

I think Redcloak can afford that.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2022-08-11 at 04:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Jo View Post
    I actually fully laughed out loud at "what gate?". Very unexpected callback.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I like the "what gate" gag resurfacing.
    When I've told my husband that I was laughing at a joke made today that was prepared almost 20 years ago, he's called me "neuroatypical"

He was teasing me because I've taught him that word today; but I wonder if it takes some degree on the spectrum to remember a callback to a non-plot-relevant detail from that long ago, or if it's just a sign of love for an amazing work if fiction.
    Last edited by TuringTest; 2022-08-11 at 04:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Wait, if the EULA (sorry, ESLA) is chanted in full, doesn't that mean the Order have weeks to plan before TE can do anything?
    Nah, no way the Order’s getting THAT lucky. This should give them at least an hour or two though.

I doubt it. If we assume it'll take less than an hour, it's 500gp per HD of the modron he called (any secondary ones who come along for the ride are gravy), half that if we consider mapping to be "non-hazardous". (I doubt it'll take longer than an hour). If CR matches the number of Hit Dice, that would be 7000gp for a Quinton (3.5k if "nonhazardous).

Given the location they’re mapping has monsters Xykon can gain XP from, it will certainly be hazardous. But yes, Redcloak can certainly afford that in gp; the only question is if the Modrob requests payment in any unusual form of currency or not.
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2022-08-11 at 04:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

I, Elan's Modron, have come out of Forum-retirement to express my hearty approval of this comic. [Cube modrons like me appeared in the comic - a long time ago. And my name's also a reference to Belkar's straitjacketed angel/good conscience from another strip a million years back]
    I loooooove it whenever TOotS gets Planescapey....
    Love the rendering of the big modron dude - he looks great in your art-style, Rich!
    Last edited by Elan's Modron; 2022-08-11 at 04:54 PM.
    Avatar courtesy of the excellent Neoclassic!
    (& R.I.P., Planescape...)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuringTest View Post
    I wonder if it takes some degree on the spectrum to remember a callback to a non-plot-relevant detail from that long ago
    If that's the case I ought to get tested.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Plus 1k xp is mostly trivial at that level
    You do still have to have it available to spend however. He might have been burning a bunch of Greater Restorations in there too on himself and Oona for all we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    For the 1000 XP, do you think that he De-Dinged back to Lvl-8 spells?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    This.

The comic calling out the XP cost (and the pain it causes) is likely intended to explain why RC doesn't just Gate as soon as initiative is rolled in every fight, as well as why he hasn't used this tactic for exploring the dungeons until now.

Talking chanting is a free action

Looting an entire city certainly pays your casting bills for a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, Modrons? That was unexpected. So this is less for combat and more for divinations I assume.

Also technically Redcloak has cast this spell once, just not for the summoning usage.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hmm, Modrons? That was unexpected. So this is less for combat and more for divinations I assume.

Also technically Redcloak has cast this spell once, just not for the summoning usage.
    Quintons have really great divinations (including Legend Lore which would only demand a few hours to cast), but I suspect what Redcloak is after is the army of modrons following it.

Also, depending on the Giant's reading (and the quinton's feat selection), the quinton's 200-miles telepathy may let it detect that there are not enough creatures behind the doors and that the gate must be somewhere else.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I get the feeling this is going to go to a showdown where Durkon can understand the ESLA better than Redcloak, and thus gains some advantage (like, "Agree to Thor's terms or I will invoke subsection 5, paragraph 3, clause ii, which states that failure to provide angel food cake acts as your declaration of war against Mechanus").

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    this shuts down the theory that cloak is NE
    That was a theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Quintons have really great divinations (including Legend Lore which would only demand a few hours to cast), but I suspect what Redcloak is after is the army of modrons following it.
    Why do you suspect that? I think between Redcloak's comment on specifically needing some Lawful summons, and that his goal is to find the Gate, it's likely those divinations are what he's hoping to use.

12. - Top - End - #132

Kobold

Well, the Order has three Lawful characters at least.

failure to provide angel food cake
    A heinous crime, indeed.

I think between Redcloak's comment on specifically needing some Lawful summons, and that his goal is to find the Gate, it's likely those divinations are what he's hoping to use.
    Wonder how he'll feel when it tells him, "Your princess is in another castle."

I assumed after Zzdrit's "Parody is Free Speech" then everything is back on the table.
    Zzdrit is a parody of Drizzt. Sunny being called a beholder is not parody. It's a trademark violation. Ditto mind flayers.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2022-08-11 at 06:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Talking chanting is a free action
    Not if you're particularly verbose. I think a EU/SLA qualifies :p

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Why do you suspect that? I think between Redcloak's comment on specifically needing some Lawful summons, and that his goal is to find the Gate, it's likely those divinations are what he's hoping to use.
    A big army can split up and look for clues.
    Last edited by Reboot; 2022-08-11 at 07:07 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

... but I wonder if it takes some degree on the spectrum to remember a callback to a non-plot-relevant detail from that long ago, or if it's just a sign of love for an amazing work if fiction.
    I'm not convinced it's non-plot-relevant. I suspect that once we know what the MitD is, all of the gate-related comments will make perfect sense, and we'll wonder why we didn't figure it out based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RblDiver View Post
    I get the feeling this is going to go to a showdown where Durkon can understand the ESLA better than Redcloak, and thus gains some advantage (like, "Agree to Thor's terms or I will invoke subsection 5, paragraph 3, clause ii, which states that failure to provide angel food cake acts as your declaration of war against Mechanus").
    The crucial issue is that angel food cake is served on a doily, which is indeed the gateway ("Gate? What gate?") to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

A big army can split up and look for clues.
    If you're just looking for a big army, there's no specific reason to use a Lawful summoning instead of an Evil one.

16. - Top - End - #136

Round, green-skinned, one-eyed, yellow-eyed, overly wordy, and three digits on each hand? There really IS an uncanny resemblance!

Also, I'd kinda forgotten he had the Law domain, given his surprise at the High Priest of the Twelve Gods having that spell prepared and available (which is weird given that the HP resided in a town so Paladin-dominant).

17. - Top - End - #137
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    Strangely enough, the Creature in the Darkness has already witnessed Redcloak casting this spell, without wondering what "Gate" he was talking about.
    But Redcloak said he never cast that spell before. Has the Giant made an error?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Did not expect this, but nice! And there goes another of Redcloak’s 9th level spell slots.

But this is nuts.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    A lot of things fly via magic but the wings might be where the magic is. Like Dragons do NOT have the wingspan to hold themselves and it's addressed in 2nd Ed and I believe in the Draconomicon in 3.X. The wings are where the magic around their flight is, so you can damage wings and ground them, but they're not just using aerodynamics and physics.

As for Primus. Primus is on par with a greater deity with some variances. We're talking at least on the level with Thor and Redcloak's god to grab from the source in question.

A Greater deity relies on mortal faith and is tied to it. Their own domain and the material world where their followers are. Primus, or the other head exemplars (examples: Asmodeus, Zaphkiel, Talisid, The Oinoloth, Morwel, etc) Are the pinnacle of what they are. They have the power of deities, People pray to them and get spells, though it's the concept they embody that grants the power. The Primus IS mortal, it dies periodically, a Secundus replaces it and so on down the line.

It was actually a major plot point in 2nd Edition, Orcus was killed, became a deity, killed a Primus and became Primus for a time in order to regain its life. BUT, Orcus is also a Demon Prince on par with Primus, Asmodeus, etc from the get go, so...
    Isn't demogorgon the most powerful demon lord? Plus what do you mean by on par? What planes do the other people you mentioned rule? Would lords of the feywild, shadowfell, and elemental planes be that powerful(such as tasha, ogremech, or strahd.) On a side note there, wouldn't that make mordenkainen as powerful as a god(on par with tasha, an archfey). And finally, are the other demon lords (for example, my favorite, fra'zz urbluu) as powerful as asmodeus? If you can't answer all of these that's fine, but if you can that would be awesome thank you. I can't find anything(no matter how hard I look) in the 5e main source books on the rulers of the other planes(does limbo even have one?) And yet I can't find anything about the astral, ethereal(though those probably don't count) feywild(besides archfey), shadowfell(aside from strahd, the raven queen(she's the shadowfell ruler now that I think about it) and the bone lords), plane of air(Ruler of aaracockra? Yan-C-Bin?), water(olhydra?), Fire(Immix is that elemental evil guy right?) or earth(ogremech?) besides maybe the respective genie kings; Celestia is the solars. Bytopia no Idea. Elysium no idea. Beastlands no idea. Ysgard no idea. Nine hells has asmodeus. Carceri has merlow(Just guessing from the names mood) The abyss is all of the demon lords??? Pandemonium and carceri I don't even know the fiend type that dwell there, Hades nothing outside of the obvious, and ghenna I don't know besides maybe that yugoloth guy from the monster manual. Now I haven't read every source book so I could be missing somthing. Sorry about all the questions.
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-08-11 at 08:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Nevermind. I looked up the rules, and the XP cost isn't required for dimensional travel. So when Redcloak said he never used that 'exact' spell before, he meant he's never used it to summon creatures until now.
    Last edited by Edward15; 2022-08-11 at 08:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Wait, if the EULA (sorry, ESLA) is chanted in full, doesn't that mean the Order have weeks to plan before TE can do anything?.
    Maybe this is the Daveed Diggs of Modrons.

Oh and I thought Redcloak was lawful but did not have the Law domain.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooray, first time seeing Modron in Order of the Stick.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

23. - Top - End - #143
    Spamalot in the Playground

Not if you're particularly verbose. I think a EU/SLA qualifies :p
    Right, but even "particularly verbose" uses up a few rounds per your own link. Not "weeks." :p

Quote Originally Posted by Edward15 View Post
    But Redcloak said he never cast that spell before. Has the Giant made an error?
    He never used this function of it before (Calling outsiders.) The transport function drains no XP.

(Presumably he used a few castings of {Greater} Planar Ally to crush the resistance.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So... What other costs are Redcloak talking about regarding this spell?
    My suspicion is that this has little to do with DnD and more that The Giant doesn't want to leave an open question as to 'why didn't Redcloak summon another army' later in the comic, the DnD explanation works very well but only for people who can be bothered with worrying about DnD 3.5, the it eats his soul explanation works for everyone else.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

If you're just looking for a big army, there's no specific reason to use a Lawful summoning instead of an Evil one.
    Yeah, I admit to not being certain of the mechanics behind it, but Redcloak isn't exactly vague that he is very specifically getting Lawful summons here and doesn't think summoning some devils is a good enough substitute. "Muscle" is probably not his goal here.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

26. - Top - End - #146

Ha, modrons are great. This made my night.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    Yeah, I admit to not being certain of the mechanics behind it, but Redcloak isn't exactly vague that he is very specifically getting Lawful summons here and doesn't think summoning some devils is a good enough substitute. "Muscle" is probably not his goal here.
    I definitely am not deeply familiar with D&D mechanics at all-- the large majority of what I've learned is through the course of trying to better understand this comic-- but with what everyone's said about Legend Lore and similar powers, that makes total sense to me as why Redcloak would specifically be summoning Lawful creatures.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

I definitely am not deeply familiar with D&D mechanics at all-- the large majority of what I've learned is through the course of trying to better understand this comic-- but with what everyone's said about Legend Lore and similar powers, that makes total sense to me as why Redcloak would specifically be summoning Lawful creatures.
    I was thinking that Legend Lore might not be effective as a means of gathering information that was held as a close secret by the Scribblies. But then I remembered that the dungeons were constructed by crews... or at least Dorukan's was, and we saw Serini supervising the delivery of a cage of monsters. (The literal accuracy of that page is uncertain.) It would depend on whether Kraagor's Gate was hidden before the dungeon work began.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-08-11 at 11:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    Partially agree. If he just wanted muscle, he'd probably get devils like vs the Resistance. Here, he wants the info-gathering and collation the Quinton can give him PLUS he gets an army of Modrons that's going to be individually underwhelming but phenomenally well organized and virtually endless. He could probably send a squad of low level Modrons through every single door simultaneously, know exactly which doors are clear and have a detailed map of the initial part of the entire complex in like 5 minutes. I mean, 5 minutes after the chanting is done, however long that takes.

The point being, the Modrons give him flexible, coordinated muscle plus info gathering.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

30. - Top - End - #150

When I've told my husband that I was laughing at a joke made today that was prepared almost 20 years ago, he's called me "neuroatypical"

He was teasing me because I've taught him that word today; but I wonder if it takes some degree on the spectrum to remember a callback to a non-plot-relevant detail from that long ago, or if it's just a sign of love for an amazing work if fiction.
    It is a running gag, a line which has been used 5 times previously by the MitD, and twice by others.