New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241

Default Re: OOTS #1264 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    It may be that he didn't know the 12 Gods gave out moral domains, especially if he's got enough Knowledge: Religion to know the Giant's stance that they are basically all True Neutral anyway.
    I'd say its just that the Giant missed one. Not a big deal, its got to be a nightmare to have every little thing all lined up just in case in 700 strips you want to have someone know/not know something.
    Last edited by Eric the White; 2022-08-14 at 06:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't think there's any rule against a pitcher playing consecutive games. The bigger issue is just that pitching is very tiring; it's not very often a relief pitcher is ready to go in consecutive games, especially if he pitches more than one inning. And most teams have a rotation of five starters to give them enough time to rest and recover.

What is true is that a player who leaves a game can't come back in. So if you bring your closer in early and he pitches as long as he can, but you fail to close out the game, you could be in trouble in the final innings.
    It's kindofa good misconception, actually. It's not a rule per se, but nowadays (as it becomes a higher priority to avoid injury instead of just using up and discarding players) good managers should make rest mandatory to the point that it seems like a "rule".

If you put in a pitcher who's tired and/or their body hasn't had time to repair the micro-injuries that occur at the cellular level when you repeatedly hurl an object 100mph, the odds quickly climb that they'll aggravate micro-injuries into larger (but still tiny) ones that take longer to heal. And if you keep going they can escalate to minor tears that become a long-term problem, or even into major tears that can end a season or even a career. (Not to mention scar tissue is almost always weaker and less functional than the tissue it replaced.)

~~~

Going back to the roach metaphor that started this: As a baseball fan, it drives me half-mad* to see managers get their heads stuck so far up their "defined roles"... that they send in a subpar reliever to face the other team's best hitters in the 7th with the bases loaded (because "you have to save your closer for the 9th/last inning"). Then they console themselves with the fact that the closer wasn't really needed anyway, because that 4-3 lead became 4-9 against them.

So, smart move on Redcloak's part to put in his closer when he can do the most good (instead of saving him for the 9th because reasons).

* - I suspect the Giant might harbor similar feelings of lesser intensity, given the metaphor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashDash View Post
    I don't think he has Law domain.
    Note this strip
    Redcloak wonders how he got the "Hold Monster" spell, and the other guy says "Law Domain"

You'd think Redcloak would know that if it's his domain.
    Criminally-underrated delayed-punchline joke: 30 strips later, "Wait a minute, I had a 22!"

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0486.html (fifth panel)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2022-08-14 at 08:11 PM. Reason: adding in a reply
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post

* - I suspect the Giant might harbor similar feelings of lesser intensity, given the metaphor.

Criminally-underrated delayed-punchline joke: 30 strips later, "Wait a minute, I had a 22!"

It's not underrated. It's a classic.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2022-08-14 at 09:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Who has said that joke is underrated?
    Says I, because I love it and therefore if it doesn't get frequent mention... then in my inerrant supreme judginess of comedy, I decree it's been underrated. (^_~)
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel_Kitsune View Post
    A lot of things fly via magic but the wings might be where the magic is. Like Dragons do NOT have the wingspan to hold themselves and it's addressed in 2nd Ed and I believe in the Draconomicon in 3.X. The wings are where the magic around their flight is, so you can damage wings and ground them, but they're not just using aerodynamics and physics.

As for Primus. Primus is on par with a greater deity with some variances. We're talking at least on the level with Thor and Redcloak's god to grab from the source in question.

A Greater deity relies on mortal faith and is tied to it. Their own domain and the material world where their followers are. Primus, or the other head exemplars (examples: Asmodeus, Zaphkiel, Talisid, The Oinoloth, Morwel, etc) Are the pinnacle of what they are. They have the power of deities, People pray to them and get spells, though it's the concept they embody that grants the power. The Primus IS mortal, it dies periodically, a Secundus replaces it and so on down the line.

It was actually a major plot point in 2nd Edition, Orcus was killed, became a deity, killed a Primus and became Primus for a time in order to regain its life. BUT, Orcus is also a Demon Prince on par with Primus, Asmodeus, etc from the get go, so...
    I think the purpose of becoming primus wasn't so much more power but so he could call the great march early in order to search for his rod, this proved to be really troublesome to the modrons once the orcus primus was replaced by a regular one

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

I wonder what pantheon the Primus belongs to or whether he even is a god.
    Last edited by andowero; 2022-08-15 at 06:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by andowero View Post
    I wonder what pantheon the Primus belongs to or whether he even is a god.
    I always assumed Primus was just a very powerful outsider.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

also if this truly is a quinton then if RC can ask for it's full cooperation there will also be
    1 hexton
    1 septon
    25 pentadrones
    64 quadrones
    81 tridrones
    and an unknown number of duodrones and monodrones (I suspect it's a lot)

I suspect in the limitations of the comic we're only going to see the duodrones and monodrones though (technicly the quinton shouldn't even be able to give orders to the singing monodrone as the modrons can only understand another modron of the same rank or one higher or lower)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    I always assumed Primus was just a very powerful outsider.
    I think he's an avatar of the plane of mechanus itself

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    also if this truly is a quinton then if RC can ask for it's full cooperation there will also be
    1 hexton
    1 septon
    25 pentadrones
    64 quadrones
    81 tridrones
    and an unknown number of duodrones and monodrones (I suspect it's a lot)
    Considering that Modrons probably don't sit on their hands all day and have business to attend to, I doubt Redcloak can afford all of that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Considering that Modrons probably don't sit on their hands all day and have business to attend to, I doubt Redcloak can afford all of that.
    New idea for monster. Handsitter. They have no native environment and do nothing all day long. They are bored to tears and live in the hope that some day they will be summoned to perform a task to add some variety into their lives. They are so desparate their payment is typically trifling though made up to appear as if valuable. Due to their neediness weirding out the spellcaster summoning them, the summoner suffers a -10 to all charisma checks as long as the Handsitter is performing its task.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-08-15 at 12:00 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

that's why the "if he can get full cooperation" is there
    and probably also the reason why he'll only get the monodrones and duodrones and perhaps some at-will abilities from the quinton

13. - Top - End - #253

I'd missed that -- I didn't notice that it was the same guy, and thought that the wizard was a random ex-Azurite complaining about something that had happened off-screen. Thank you!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New idea for monster. Handsitter. They have no native environment and no nothing ask day long. They are bored to tears and live in the hope that some day they will be summoned to perform a task to add some variety into their lives. They are so desparate their payment is typically trifling though made up to appear as if valuable. Due to their neediness weird ing out the spellcaster summoning them, the summoner suffers a - 10 to all charisma checks as long as the Handsitter is performing its task.
    What is my purpose?
    -You pass the butter.
    -HURRAY!
    -Sheesh, you have issues!
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ... Considering that the Cloak actually... doesn't seem to have that impressive abilities for an artifact of that much importance...
    Immortality and knowledge of deity ending ritual is not impressive enough? From gamer perspective it isn't really impressive, but the person wearing it may appreciate those qualities.
    Avatar by Shoreward. See his comic, here on forum, Cursed of course.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by andowero View Post
    Immortality and knowledge of deity ending ritual is not impressive enough? From gamer perspective it isn't really impressive, but the person wearing it may appreciate those qualities.
    As a plot device, yes, it's very impressive. Artifacts usually do tend to have a bit more of a punch than that though. Especially since I suspect this is a major artifact.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I'd missed that -- I didn't notice that it was the same guy, and thought that the wizard was a random ex-Azurite complaining about something that had happened off-screen. Thank you!
    Ditto the first time around, tbh. I don't remember how many rereads it took to put two and two together.

(Or in his case, to put 1 and 21 together... when he belatedly remembered an oddball bonus that was rarely relevant.)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

As a plot device, yes, it's very impressive. Artifacts usually do tend to have a bit more of a punch than that though. Especially since I suspect this is a major artifact.
    It's plenty of punch. It's just that the punch is for a story and not for a game.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #259

It's plenty of punch. It's just that the punch is for a story and not for a game.
    Having read one too many TSR novels mass-market paperbacks back in the day, some of which outright described gaming sessions in game mechanics , I can attest that mechanics punch (for punchkins?) and what makes a story effective are not necessarily synonymous.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2022-08-15 at 02:53 PM. Reason: correction

20. - Top - End - #260

New idea for monster. Handsitter. They have no native environment and do nothing all day long. They are bored to tears and live in the hope that some day they will be summoned to perform a task to add some variety into their lives. They are so desparate their payment is typically trifling though made up to appear as if valuable. Due to their neediness weirding out the spellcaster summoning them, the summoner suffers a -10 to all charisma checks as long as the Handsitter is performing its task.
    Höndzittar

Rather than legs it has two backwards arms, with large oversized palms where it's buttocks would be.

A group is called an Indolence and it's leader, the Sinecure.

They serve the eternal sweepersleeper but don't know what it's agenda is.

Defeats players through their own paranoia. Players will encounter the monster doing absolutely nothing, and make wild assumptions about what it's trick is, ultimately giving up.
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2022-08-15 at 03:08 PM.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Höndzittar

Rather than legs it has two backwards arms, with large oversized palms where it's buttocks would be.

A group is called an Indolence and it's leader, the Sinecure.

They serve the eternal sweepersleeper but don't know what it's agenda is.

Defeats players through their own paranoia. Players will encounter the monster doing absolutely nothing, and make wild assumptions about what it's trick is, ultimately giving up.
    I can't believe you didn't go for the joke of a group of them being a committee.

...although perhaps that should be a group of Thumbsitters?
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2022-08-15 at 03:13 PM. Reason: belated thought

22. - Top - End - #262

I can't believe you didn't go for the joke of a group of them being a committee.
    The junior members don't attend the regular committee meetings, they only attend the all hands meetings.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

23. - Top - End - #263

The junior members don't attend the regular committee meetings, they only attend the all hands meetings.
    Truly, that pun is almost worthy of the
    Spoiler: groan of ultimate suffering.
    Show

(^_~)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Artifacts also tend to be dangled in front of players as a reward that can eventually be obtained with a great deal of power. It doesn't seem to me like anyone else wants the Crimson Mantle, and frankly if you want to assume it's also providing various other nice benefits to Redcloak to supplement his own abilities, there's not really an argument against it. But it doesn't seem like the thing would suddenly become more important if he mentions it gives him +5 to all saves.

Especially since, you know, Redcloak is going to pass or fail save based on the needs of the story, not a roll of the dice.
    "But it always seemed weird to me to get mad about things going wrong, as if everything turning out OK was promised to anyone, ever. There wouldn't need to be paladins if the world was, like, fair." -Lien

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Howard Johnson Dame_Mechanus is right
    I get to be a favorite today!

25. - Top - End - #265

What is my purpose?
    -You pass the butter.
    -HURRAY!
    -Sheesh, you have issues!
    Reminds me of the toaster from Red Dwarf.

That's hard to call. It's the only known artifact/creation of TDO, who's a new god. In story terms, one could justify its having any kind of power level.

Classically, artifacts tend to have unpleasant side effects from long-term use or when a major power is invoked. Have we seen anything like that from the Mantle?

Höndzittar

If it can find its butt with both hands better than, say, 12 times out of 20, it would be more effective than several people I've had to deal with.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-08-15 at 06:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

If it can find its butt with both hands better than, say, 12 times out of 20, it would be more effective than several people I've had to deal with.
    That's how you know which ones are worthy of promotion. Those that can, at least occasionally, find their buttocks with both hands are too good at their job to promote, and those that can't won't reduce productivity by being moved up the corporate ladder.

Another indicator of promotability: a large mouth eternally pursed into a 'kiss'. Such creatures are virtually certain to be committee members.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Classically, artifacts tend to have unpleasant side effects from long-term use or when a major power is invoked. Have we seen anything like that from the Mantle?
    Well, it has esentially stunted Redcloak's emotional growth.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Considering Redcloak was a fresh initiate before he put the Mantle on, and was throwing out mid-level spells immediately afterwards, it's safe to say it has some kind of spellcaster-boosting property.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A lot of artifacts have per-day castings of mid level spells, and while they tend to be unimpressive for high-level wielders, these abilities are very powerful in the hands of low-level wielders.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larsaan View Post
    Considering Redcloak was a fresh initiate before he put the Mantle on, and was throwing out mid-level spells immediately afterwards, it's safe to say it has some kind of spellcaster-boosting property.
    He did? I do think it boosted his Destruction domain ability at least... Or it could use a fixed number of spells X times per day, like a lot of items do in 3.5e I guess? But yeah, I do kinda think that it's probably doing more than the direct plot progression abilities, even if they aren't really something you'd know by looking at the comic.

Just my headcanon I guess.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.