New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Jagras, Shamos, and Girros from Monster Hunter!

So I saw some monster hunter fans on this forum recently, so I decided to make some humanoid Girros, Jagras, and Shamos as the leaders of a cities defences (they are the greats though great shamos and jagras look like normal. They have minions like the greats do as well.)
    These are individual characters, I will be making races and Stat Blocks for the standard Jagras, shamos, and Girros as well as the races
    For the moment all I have is The great girros, so bear with me over the next few days as I make more.

Terran(the great girros): Terran is brutal, powerful, and stands for no insurgence within his part of the city. He runs the Effluvian defence force, making sure that the city runs in perfect order without any outside force wrecking what he considers a utopia. However, while off duty, his demeanor changes to that of a gentle giant. No matter on duty or off, he hates young people (people in between 18 and thirty)

Large Humanoid, Lawful Neutral
    Ac: 21 (+3 plate that does not grant disadvantage on stealth checks)
    HP: 320 (20d10+ 200) (tough feat)
    Sp: 30ft, climb 20 feet
    Str Dex Con Int Cha Wis
    24 12 26 16 14 20
    Skills: Athletics: +13 Perception: +11
    St: Str: +13 Con: +14 Wis: +11 Dex: +7
    Damage Immunities: Poison
    Condition Immunities: Charmed, Frightened, Paralyzed
    Senses: Blindsight 60 ft, Passive perception 21
    Languages: Common, undercommon, Girros
    CR: 22
    Magic Weapons
    Legendary resistance 2/day: When Girros fails a saving throw, he can use this to succeed instead.
    Actions:
    Multiattack: He Makes 5 glaive and 3 flip attacks, 1 spit venom and 3 javelin attack, 4 javelin attacks, or 3 claw, 3 tail, and 2 bite attacks; He may replace any one of these attacks with an astounding leap.
    +3 glaive: +17 to hit; 3d10+10 slashing damage. Reach 10 feet
    flip: +16 to hit; 3d4+10 bludgeoning damage; reach 10 feet
    Claw: +14 to hit; 3d6+7 slashing damage. Reach 5 feet
    Bite: +14 to hit; 3d6 +7 piercing damage; Reach 5 feet; On hit: The target must make a DC 23 Con save or be paralyzed until the end of their next turn.
    Tail: +14 to hit; 3d8+7 bludgeoning damage; reach 10 ft
    Javelin: +14 to hit; 3d6+7 bludgeoning damage; range 50/150ft(he is strong enough to throw this far) Hit: The hit creature must make a DC 19(Venom is less potent when not injected in the large quantities that his fangs can) Constitution saving throw, on a failure, the creature is paralized until the beginning of its next turn.
    Venom spit(Recharge 5-6) He chooses a point within 120ft of him, each creature within 10 ft of that point must succeed on a DC 23 Con save or be paralyzed until the beginning of their next turn.
    Astounding Leap(Reharge 6) : Terran moves up to 90 feet in a straight line. While doing so, he can enter Medium or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever Terran enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw.
    On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of Terran. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.
    On a failed save, Terran enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 22 (5d8) bludgeoning damage and is knocked prone. Terran cannot end his turn in another creature's space.
    Reactions: When girros hits a creature with an opportunity attack, its speed becomes zero and girros regains his reaction for this round.
    When a creature moves within girros' reach, he may make an opportunity attack against it.
    Move: When a creature within 30ft of him starts his turn, he may move up to twenty feet toward it and regain his reaction for this round. He cannot take this reaction again this round.
    Bolster: When a Jagras, Shamos, or Girros starts it's turn within 90ft of him, he may allow it to take an additional action on it's turn. He than regains his reaction for this round but cannot use a different reaction until the beginning of his next turn.
    Attack: When a creature starts it's turn within 10 feet of him, he may use multiattack on it.
    Legendary actions: Terran may take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. he regains these at the beginning of his turn, and may only use them when a creature within 120ft of him ends it's turn:
    Bite: He makes a bite attack
    Slice: He makes a glaive attack.
    (Costs 2 actions) Call of the wild: He casts summon beast at fourth level. (Con as spell ability)
    (Costs 2 actions) Call from the dark: He casts summon abberation, summoning a slaadoid. (Con as spell ability)
    (Costs 3 actions) Spit venom: He recharges spit venom and uses it.
    Equipment: At his home, Terran has a Mirror of Life Trapping. Terran's Glaive is a Weapon of Warning that he is attuned to. He is also attuned to and wears a Ring of Spell Turning

Normal Girros:
    Medium Humanoid, Neutral
    Ac: 18(plate)
    HP: 95 (10d8+50)
    Sp: 40ft
    Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
    20 14 16 10 14 10
    Saving Throws: Str: +8; Dex: +5; Con: +6
    Skills: Intimidation: +6; Perception: +5; Athletics: +8
    Damage Resistances: Poison
    Condition immunities: Poisoned, Paralyzed
    Senses: Blindsight 10ft, Passive Perception: 15
    Languages: Common, Undercommon, Giross
    CR: 6

Multiattack: This creature makes 2 javelin, 1 bite and 2 claw, or 2 glaive and 1 flip attacks
    Javelin: +8 to hit reach 5ft or range 20/60ft 1d6+5 Hit: The hit creature must succeed on a DC 11 Con saving throw or be paralyzed until the end of it's next turn.
    Claw: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d6+5
    Glaive: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d10+5
    Flip: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d4+5
    Bite: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d8+5; Hit: The hit creature must succeed on a DC 14 Con saving throw or be paralyzed until the start of it's next turn.
    Reactions:
    Polearm Master: Girros makes an opportunity attack against a creature that enters his reach.
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-09-24 at 02:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Jagras, Shamos, and Girros from Monster Hunter!

Response to the crunch:

I'm getting a defensive CR of 18 and an offensive CR of 24, which averages out at a total CR of 21. The offensive CR is higher if we calculating him biting a target, that target failing their save, and then him wailing on it for the rest of the round. Since they're paralyzed, he can guarantee they start their turn within 10 feet, and wail on a paralyzed PC again on their turn.

Mechanically, this sounds like Terran is a terror at close range and a joke as long as you can stay away from him. If the goal at the table is the PCs try to sneak around him and you want a hypothetical chance to escape at being caught this could work pretty well.

Response to the fluff:

A grim guard is kind of cool, but I'd focus either on making him more able to do the job.

For ideas for things Terran can do beside damage, some kind of buff for your regular Girros as an action or bonus action might fit well. Maybe some damaging miasma that follows him around (based on the one Vaal Hazak has) as a mark of him being an authority figure in the city?

At an absolute minimum (given he's a humanoid girros) I'd give him some paralysis javelins for a bit of range. That makes him a bit more fearsome at range, as he can trap a PC beside himself without needing to get within 5 feet in the first place.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Jagras, Shamos, and Girros from Monster Hunter!

That is a lot of stuff for a early game mob, holy heck. That’s something like CR 20 something eyeballing it. I can’t picture anything related to those as much higher than CR 5-7 personally
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New Jagras, Shamos, and Girros from Monster Hunter!

I'm not in a mood to do the math again right now, so I'll just leave some qualitative suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    Venom spit(Recharge 5-6) He chooses a point within 120ft of him, each creature within 10 ft of that point must succeed on a DC 23 Con save or be paralyzed until the beginning of their next turn.
    Astounding Leap(Reharge 6) : He moves 90ft, any creature within his space must succeed on DC 22 Dex save, taking 4d8 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful save. Either way, the creature is pushed out of terran's space.
    Reactions: When girros hits a creature with an opportunity attack, its speed becomes zero and girros regains his reaction for this round.
    These seem like an improvement design-wise. Although I would steal the language used for the Gelatinous Cube's Engulf for Astounding Leap. Something like the following:
    Terran moves up to 90 feet in a straight line. While doing so, he can enter Medium or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever Terran enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 22 Dexterity saving throw.

On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of Terran. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.

On a failed save, Terran enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 18 (4d8) bludgeoning damage and is knocked prone. Terran cannot end his turn in another creature's space.

Multiattack: This creature makes 2 javelin, 1 bite and 2 claw, or 2 glaive and 1 flip attacks
    Javelin: +8 to hit reach 5ft or range 20/60ft 1d6+5 Hit: The hit creature must succeed on a DC 11 Con saving throw or be paralyzed until the end of it's next turn.
    Claw: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d6+5
    Glaive: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d10+5
    Flip: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d4+5
    Bite: +8 to hit; Reach 5ft; 1d8+5; Hit: The hit creature must succeed on a DC 14 Con saving throw or be paralyzed until the start of it's next turn.
    The Claw and Flip attacks feel superfluous. The attacks all have +8 to hit and very slight changes in damage, so you really don't need five separate ones. In Monster Hunter the different attacks have different ranges and wind-ups, but you just don't get the same effect in D&D.

Reactions:
    Polearm Master: Girros makes an opportunity attack against a creature within his reach.
    Was this meant to be bonus action? If not, it should have a trigger telling the DM the conditions under which the Girros can take this reaction.