New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Unsugared Frosting Substitution question

...baking counts as a science, right? Anyhow, I'm making a cake for a friend's birthday, and in order to be a bit nicer to their guts, I'm trying out some sugar-that-isn't to make it sugar free. I located some allulose (least disagreeable sugar substitute I've found to date, pretty good), and a test run of the cake base shows it works just fine for the sponge. Does anyone know if alluose can just be swapped out for sugar when making (buttercream type) frosting, though?
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Unsugared Frosting Substitution question

You could probably use it for making icing.

Frosting, however, usually requires powdered sugar for texture. If you can get a powdered version of your sugar substitute, I forsee no difficulties. If not...

You might see if America's Test Kitchen or Milk Street Radio have any suggestions.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unsugared Frosting Substitution question

If you have access to something like a spice grinder, mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, or even a good blender or food processor you can probably grind just about anything down to the level of fineness of powdered sugar/confectioner's sugar given sufficient time.

..note you can probably make a frosting or icing without doing so - the difference will be primarily in the texture of the resulting product. Larger crystals of sugar or sugar substitute will be more likely to not integrate completely and potentially leave your frosting feeling crunchy or gritty, which can be unpleasant to eat and may cause it to not spread or cover your cake as easily.

One of the other things to monitor will be your ingredient balance - looking it up it appears allulose is less sweet than standard sugar (which is interesting, most alternative sweeteners are notably more sweet than reference sucrose.) This suggests if you want to reach the same level of sweetness as a standard recipe you will need to use more allulose, so your resultant frosting will probably come out denser and heavier feeling, and it may be harder to whip or beat it into fluffiness if that is your desired texture.