New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Fatal Flaws

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Fatal Flaws

A team of 6 characters.

All of them have 5 20s...and a 6.

Each must put their 6 in a different stat...

So there's str 6 guy, dex 6 guy, con 6 guy, int 6 guy, wis 6 guy, and cha 6 guy.

What should each of the 6 characters play?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Fatal Flaws

6 Con should be a Moon Druid, probably. Or at least a Druid of some stripe.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

6 con - moon druid
    6 dex - paladin
    6 int - sorcerer/warlock/bard/monk/fighter
    6 str - monk/rogue/ranger/dex fighter
    6 cha - artificer/cleric/wizard
    6 wis - wizard/fighter

Just some suggestions :) ... but several of the options work almost equally well for multiple classes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was considering barbarian for one of the mental dumps. With the fatal flaw setup, Barbarians and monks will start with AC 20 naked.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe berserker barbarian for wis 6? Since you can't be charmed in a rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Since they have 20s in everything except the 6, I suggest choosing a relevant stat as the flaw. The characters will be powerful enough that you can have some fun with it, rather than try to ignore the flaw.

6 Con is a Necromancer.
    They are rightfully afraid of death and are thus seeking power to overcome death.
    6 Dex is the Barbarian.
    The lumbering giant understands the taller they are, the harder they fall.
    6 Wis is the Warlock.
    Let's go sign another deal. I heard there is a time share seminar today.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-08-14 at 02:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Since they have 20s in everything except the 6, I suggest choosing a relevant stat as the flaw. The characters will be powerful enough that you can have some fun with it, rather than try to ignore the flaw.

6 Con is a Necromancer.
    They are rightfully afraid of death and are thus seeking power to overcome death.
    6 Dex is the Barbarian.
    The lumbering giant understands the taller they are, the harder they fall.
    6 Wis is the Warlock.
    Let's go sign another deal. I heard there is a time share seminar today.
    I see what you mean, but putting the 6 Dex on a Melee character that can't wear heavy armour is not just relevant, it's crippling. Maybe on a medium armor cleric that will avoid melee? AC 15 is not that bad in that case, but it's still significant.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-08-14 at 03:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

6 Str : Wizard. Makes up for physical frailty with arcane power.

6 Dex : Paladin. Knight in shining armour that disdains the use of missile weapons and has plate skin and faith to protect him.

6 Con : Rogue. Scabby and disease ridden, but with unexpected wiry strength and the cunning and insidious charm of a spider. Who needs HP when your foe doesn't even know you're there?

6 Int : Cleric. Warrior Priest with blind devotion. A dangerous fanatic who follows dogma because they can't conceive a better path for themselves.

6 Wis : Bard. A string of foolish adventures and compulsive actions are saved only by their other raw talents and pure charisma.

6 Cha : Fighter. An unwashed and unlikable mercenary who prefers their actions to speak for them. Words are for politicians and poets, not killers.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    A team of 6 characters.
    6 STR - Wizard (any)
    6 DEX - Wizard (War); Add INT to Initiative so you don't slow down.
    6 CON - Wizard (Bladedancer); Add INT to your AC, and add INT to CON for Concentration.
    6 INT - Cleric (Life); Y'know...Just in case.
    6 WIS - Wizard (any)
    6 CHA - Wizard (any)
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

The one that is toughest to optimize for is probably the 6 Con; the best solution is probably the Kensei Monk Sharpshooter; you have high speed, insane range, Evasion, 20 AC and Deflect Missiles, so it'll be hard for you to be hit in the first place, making your low HPs not that bad.

A Bladesinger? I'd have to check the math, but I'm not sure even Absorb Elements would make him survive a Black Dragon's breath weapon.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-08-14 at 06:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

6 STR/6 INT/6 CHA really isn't that detrimental. You can make all kinds of viable builds with any of those, provided you're not actively hamstringing yourself with something like a 6 CHA Sorcerer or a 6 STR GWM Fighter or the like. So I'll focus on the three stats that are harder to deal with/mitigate:

6 DEX: Harengon Twilight Cleric with heavy armor and the Shield Master, Resilient DEX, and Alert feats. (At -2+5+PROF+Advantage, your initiative is likely better than any of the 20 DEX party members... And your DEX saves are manageable thanks to Resilient DEX, Shield Master, and Lucky Footwork: -2+PROF+Shield Bonus+1d4 if needed on a failed save.)

6 CON: Hill Dwarf Moon Druid with the Resilient CON, Warcaster, and Alert feats. (You're going to be spending most of your time in a Wild Shape form anyway.)

6 WIS: Undead Warlock 1/Devotion Paladin X of any race with Fey Ancestry (racial Charm Advantage + class WIS save proficiency + class Fear Immunity during Form of Dread + eventual total immunity to Charm and Fear)

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    The one that is toughest to optimize for is probably the 6 Con
    Not really. 6 CON is only -2. There are ways to counteract that -2. For example, a Hill Dwarf Draconic Sorcerer is roughly equivalent in capabilities to a 10 CON character right out the gate at Level 1:

Hill Dwarf = +1 HP per level
    Draconic Sorcerer = +2 to CON saves thanks to proficiency, and another +1 HP per level

Plus your CON save would scale up with Proficiency. And picking up the Tough feat would then effectively give you HP equivalent to a 14 CON.

But I do think the best way to mitigate a low CON like that is with a Moon Druid like I described above. Wild Shape forms allow you to adopt the STR/DEX/CON of the beast, and your Wild Shapes recharge on a Short Rest. More importantly, Wild Shape gives you a massive reservoir of extra available HP. So having a low CON only matters in the very occasional combat when you've run out of Wild Shapes, or are ambushed before you can Wild Shape. And going with a Hill Dwarf with the Resilient CON and Warcaster feats helps counteract the low CON when not in Wild Shape, plus your 20 DEX and the Alert feat help ensure that you're going first and can't be surprised, so you're not soaking up hits before you can Wild Shape.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2022-08-14 at 10:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    I see what you mean, but putting the 6 Dex on a Melee character that can't wear heavy armour is not just relevant, it's crippling. Maybe on a medium armor cleric that will avoid melee? AC 15 is not that bad in that case, but it's still significant.
    The Barbarian starts with a Con of 20, so they start with an AC of 15 (with a shield) instead of 17 but more health. It is similar to the Necromancer having a Dex of 20 but a Con of 6, their AC increased by 3 and their health shrank by 50%.

The main idea was putting the 6 in a score than won't be ignored but also is not the primary ability. If you think a cleric satisfies this harder answer to the OP's question, then sure.

Honestly finding a place for Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma is a bit hard under this metric. I think it would need to be a Cha 6 Paladin, Int 6 Artificer, and Str 6 on dwarf using heavy armor with encumbrance rules?
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-08-14 at 10:59 AM.