New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Share your stories of how a questionable campaign premise crumbled!

So I tried to run a game for 5 players that decided they wanted to be 5 Drow Necromancers, all siblings, and adhering to Drow lore of AD&D. I had them roll initiative to select birth order because the eldest was defacto in charge in a Drow family. They all lived in the family home in a small city.

They had some reason to go across town for the afternoon (all their own wishes I hadn't even gotten to a plot element yet) and they started arguing over which was stronger and who would be the leader etc. They flexed ability scores, arm wrestled, and finally it turned into a rumble in the house. PvP free for all. Magic Missiles through windows. Shocking Grasp tag. The whole thing took 2 hours and we had the eldest brother end up last man standing. Yay! Still the leader. Sole owner of the house. 4 bodies to Necromance.

So tell me how a campaign idea turned out to be just as bad as you knew it would be!
    Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFurith View Post
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Share your stories of how a questionable campaign premise crumbled!

Gotta admit it was thematically appropriate.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

Wouldn't the eldest daughter be the leader? Or was the matriarchy a 3.X addition to the lore?
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Wouldn't the eldest daughter be the leader? Or was the matriarchy a 3.X addition to the lore?
    Parents must have tried for a girl and failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    So I tried to run a game for 5 players that decided they wanted to be 5 Drow Necromancers, all siblings, and adhering to Drow lore of AD&D. I had them roll initiative to select birth order because the eldest was defacto in charge in a Drow family. They all lived in the family home in a small city.

They had some reason to go across town for the afternoon (all their own wishes I hadn't even gotten to a plot element yet) and they started arguing over which was stronger and who would be the leader etc. They flexed ability scores, arm wrestled, and finally it turned into a rumble in the house. PvP free for all. Magic Missiles through windows. Shocking Grasp tag. The whole thing took 2 hours and we had the eldest brother end up last man standing. Yay! Still the leader. Sole owner of the house. 4 bodies to Necromance.

So tell me how a campaign idea turned out to be just as bad as you knew it would be!
    Tried to run a ADnD module that involved a forced TPK which lead into a it was all a dream revelation. It was a Ravenloft module involving a battle with Strahd at the start to set up creepy crap happening. Problem is I ran this game on a 3.5 organized play server where everyone made TO characters. So what was suppose to be 5 minutes turned into a four hour long slot fest of players not dying. The end was them waking up to find themselves in a peaceful town. Problem was this was a one shot and no one could finish the game. Moral of the story, never make a suppose to loose boss in a 3.5 game. Really I guess never run a suppose to loose boss in dnd period, that was a terrible idea on the writers part.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-08-13 at 11:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Don't remember the son vs daughter thing, but all 5 were boys anyway lolz!
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    Don't remember the son vs daughter thing, but all 5 were boys anyway lolz!
    In modern lore at least Drow are a matriarchy, I can’t remember the ADnD lore but I think the matriarchy thing started as a forgotten realms thing and eventually made its way to the default.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    In modern lore at least Drow are a matriarchy, I can’t remember the ADnD lore but I think the matriarchy thing started as a forgotten realms thing and eventually made its way to the default.
    That's depends on the dominant religion: while Lolth, Kiaransalee, and Eilistraee worshipers are matriarchal, Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur are don't concerned with gender of their servants
    Among the Hidden, the only female drow are wererat and half-drow (neither of which is the leader);
    Ilthivaar Daemonscar is male;
    Jaezred Chaulssin is patriarchal;
    Ka'Narlist was the ruler of Atorrnash;
    In the Llurth Dreier (AFAIK), all known authority figures were male;
    Misstyre is male;
    Solom Ned'razak became the ruler of Szith Morcane;
    Vokkrzyr Rualfren was leader of the drow settlement in Ultoksamrin, and leader of the Vault of Cloaked Midnight...
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2022-08-14 at 09:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Since “Drow” means “follower of Lolth”, all Drow are matriarchal, since forever afaict. Also, iirc, noble houses are limited to two males (not sure about commoners).

So… if it was a noble Drow house with 5 brothers? They were long overdue to be stamped out.

9. - Top - End - #9

I told them like " hey guys you know Drow traditionally just kill each other to get ahead right". They were like no way we'll resolve things with other types of contests... Like a fight to the death contest I guess 😂