Titan in the Playground

Default D&D In Another World - Jeriah

D&D In Another World OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    Spoiler: Real World
    Show
    Reina Rathbone Age: 27 Reina has always prided herself on her intellect and adaptability, taking every opportunity to improve her knowledge while also focusing on mental exercises to improve her processing and reaction times. This effort shows in the strength and flexibility of her strategic and tactical thinking. Though highly creative, Reina channels her creativity into planning meticulously for the future, though her plans are usually relegated to complete fantasies—like a zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, or being isekaied into a game-like world. Reina never really documents these plans but seems able to recall even the most minor detail of them at a moment's notice. Unfortunately, she also struggles to remember normal details of everyday life, causing her to struggle to function at times. Reina has always had a problem with authority, and he biggest motivator in life has always been someone in authority telling her that she can't do something. She always believes that her ideas are better than whatever someone else suggests, and she's right just often enough that she has come to believe herself to be nigh infallible. Reina is willing to stand against almost anyone for no reason other to prove them wrong, even when it's completely irrational. She's rather be fully committed and wrong than to give in and join those who are right. "If you just wrong it hard enough, it'll work out somehow."
    Spoiler: In Game
    Show
    Reina has long played competitively in e-sports and has seen quite a bit of fame in the MOBA genre under the screenname LetKhaosReina. Her team was set to win a nation championship, until Reina decided that she knew better than the coach. Taking things into her own hands, she managed to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory and subsequently be fired from her team. With nowhere left to go an no competitive team willing to take a player like her, Reina turned to MMORPGs to get her gaming fix. Thus, she finds herself struggling to find ways to get that adrenaline high in games that tend to be more about grinding than fast paced action. Perhaps a good raid boss might do it for her?
    Spoiler: The Event
    Show
    Ever looking for her next gaming fix, Reina decided to sign up for a "Full Dive VR Game," whatever that means. The advert promised a gaming experience unlike any other, and she signed up without hesitation. Luckily, Reina was in the first round picks and was one of the first to get to try it out. As the lid of her VR immersion pod closed, she was in for a rush like she'd never experienced before.

The VR pod boots up, and a surge of energy spikes through Reina's body, triggering a massive rush of adrenaline, endorphins, and other chemicals she's been desperately missing.

As the euphoria dissipates, Reina finds herself in what feels like the loading screen... except that there are no visuals. An endless, blank white space expands seemingly infinitely in every direction.

Just as she begins to become uncomfortable with the lack of visual input, the sensation of her body slowly returns, Reina only now realizing that she could feel nothing for a time. Looking down, however, she finds only a bizarre, green wireframe model approximating a humanoid form.

System Notice
    Welcome Back to The Realms!
    Error: No saved character profile on file.
    Action: Contact Realm for character data.
    Error: No associated Realm on file.
    Action: Load recent player data.
    Error: No player record on file.
    Action: Read embedded player data.
    Error: No player data embedded within this entity.
    Action: Begin player integration system.

System Notice
    Welcome to Creation and Integration!
    Would you like to customize your integration options?
    If you decline this choice, your starting choices will be randomized based on your lineage, past deeds, and projected development path. If you fail to make a choice, you will be deemed non-sapient and treated as if you had declined this choice—options for non-sapients may become limited.
    Yes
    No
    Representative
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D In Another World - Jeriah

"Whoa. It's totally like I'm actually here. This is legit tech.

Huh. They just throw us in here with no guidance and then offer a representative to help out? Psh. Yeah, buddy, you're going to come work for me. No just sitting back and watching."

Reina starts to jab the Representative button but hesitates. She looks around in the void, an idea starting to form.

"If this is a beta, then I'm sure there's some sort of dev tools left in game..."

She picks a random direction and attempts to move that way, trying to find anything she can.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

You find yourself able to move through the void... or at least it feels like you're moving. There's no visual clues to identify movement. However, when you shift speed or direction, the screen takes a fraction of a second before it can reposition into your new facing.

After a bit of time passes, a countdown timer begins. You instantly understand that you are about to run out of time on this decision and be deemed non-sapient...
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A bit disappointed she didn't uncover anything, Reina taps Representative but continues attempting to explore. She decides to head straight up, if possible.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You're yanked to a stop, as if a leash were wrapped around your whole body. Turning, you find a wobbly, knock-off Ikea desk stacked high with messy piles of paper and various office supplies. Sitting behind the paperwork poking at a gaming tablet is a somewhat geeky looking kid wearing what appears to be his dad's white dress shirt and tie.

He looks up at you blinks twice and curses.

"Look, it's my last day. Can you, like, just get this done with?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"What? Your last day is the first day of the beta? That seems poorly timed. You get a better job or something?"

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"Look, lady, I'm just an intern. I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for the equal credit. I don't get paid jack, my boss is an idiot, and everything here sucks. Just... pick your stuff and let's move on. Okay? Here, fill this out."

System Notice
    Player Registration
    Name: Reina Rathbone_

You find that you can edit your name but not your age. When you focus on Occupation, you get a selection of three possible options: Academic, Athlete, or Hermit.

You feel an overwhelming sense that any decisions you make here will be permanent and irreversible.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2022-08-14 at 03:42 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Reina, having always loved her name, left it as is. For Occupation...

"What can you tell me about the Occupations? I'm leaning towards Athlete, but..."

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

He sighs, flips open a folder, and shuffles a few papers.

"Academic will give you +1 bonus to three different skills from a limited list.

Athlete will give you +1 to two skills and a bonus feat, which you don't pick.

Hermit gives you +1 to three skills and a bonus feat, but the options are worse than the other two.

Hermit will give you the most, but Athlete is almost certainly the best pick, unless you want bonuses towards being left the hell alone... which actually makes Hermit pretty damn attractive... Hmm.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Reina considers this information briefly but realizes that she just doesn't have enough information to make an informed decision.

"Can you tell me what skills and feats might be granted by Athlete and Hermit?"

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The intern sighs, slams the folder shut, and gives you a slightly malicious smirk.

"Nope. You're an Athlete. Moving on...

Oh. Right. This is probably going to sting juuuuust a bit.
    "

System Notice
    Player Registration Complete

System Notice
    Beginning Integration
    Action: Selecting starting Realm.
    System Message:
    Welcome to Endless Acres
    Action: Loading Realm attributes and requirements.
    Action: Integrating attributes with player.
    Error: Realm-Entity Attribute Incompatbility. ERR_012a.
    Action: Rectifying . . .
    Intense pain flows through your body and mind, like fire burning away the impurities. Spasms wrack your body as little bits of what make you yourself are ripped away, foreign energies jammed in to fill the tiny voids left behind.

You gasp one last time, struggling to resist blacking out. Then the pain is gone.

System Notice
    Integration Complete
    Begin Character Creation

Realm Notice
    Welcome to Endless Acres!
    As a recently established Frontier Realm, Endless Acres is largely unknown and unexplored. This Realm contains many of the standard fantasy elements one would expect from a High Fantasy Realm, but there seems to have been a significant divergence from the norm at some point in the not so distant past.
    Warning! The rules and conventions of Endless Acres are in flux as the Realm continues to be established by The System. Players may be presented with System Choices that modify the underlying systems governing the Realm.

Spoiler
    Show
    (5d6)[5][5][6][3][4](23)
    (5d20)[1][12][2][4][7](26)
    (5d30)[24][2][28][18][18](90)
    (5d100)[35][85][85][97][2](304)
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Realm Notice
    Congratulations!
    You have received two (2) Greater Boon.
    You have received one (1) Epic Boon.
    A representation of the major races appears standing nude in front of you. Or rather, you see yourself in front of you, altered to appear as each of the major races but still clearly yourself.

Realm Notice
    Select Your Race
    Dwarf
    Gnome
    Golem
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Human
    Kobold
    Halfbreed
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    _
    Apply Boon to Race
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Why you cute little ba... MMM. That hurt."

After gritting her teeth through the pain, Reina opens her eyes to a bit of a shock.

"Is that... me? Damn. I am fine.

Oi! You! Enjoying the peep show, ya creeper?"

Ugh. If only there was some way to hide those nude versions of herself. Clothes would be awesome about now...

With a bit of disgust, Reina snaps her fingers to get the intern's attention.

"Hey! Hey, you! Pay attention over here. What can you tell me about these boon things? Is two greater and an epic any good?"
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2022-08-14 at 09:12 PM.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

As you try to will clothes into existence, you find that is exactly what happens. A pair of baggy sweat pants and oversized sweater that completely hides the various races' forms appears on them. In fact, a similar set also appears on your wireframe body, though this set is similarly composed of green wireframe and doesn't do much while you look like some high school kid's first attempt at a 3d model.

The intern looks deeply disappointed that you've ended his... "entertainment," but he also turns bright red in embarrassment.

"Uh... yeah. That's good. Uh. That's pretty much, um, the best random roll I've seen for boons. Uh. Good job."

He tries to play it cool with a cheesy grin and a thumbs up.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"I ought to leave you a nasty performance review, but... I suppose I could find a way to forgive you if hook me up with another couple of those boons. Please..."

If the figures respond to her will, Reina attempts to will the baggy clothing to slowly becomes a little tighter and shorter, not enough to reveal anything but just enough to try to catch the intern's eye with the change.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think... I uh." He starts rapidly flipping through papers. "That is to say, uh, I don't... I'm not sure that's possible. I... hmm."

He sorts through a few more papers and manila folders before finally settling on one and starting to read through it. Tossing it down, he grabs his tablet and pokes at it a few times.

"Well, damn. Apparently, I do have access to some extra Boons that I'm supposed to have been giving out. The trainer never mentioned that... Huh. It seems that if I don't give them out, my boss gets to take them when I depart. Well screw him."

He taps something and motions towards you, but nothing happens.

"System Error? Hmm. Oh. Oh, I see. I can't just give you Boons, but I can spend them on your behalf in exchange for mandatory Quests that you'll have to complete for me once to get into the Realm. Interesting...

Well, I don't have any presence in Endless Acres, and I'm not getting anything out of this job anyway. So... Hmm.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Impatient, Reina tries hard not to tap her foot.

"So, what does that mean?! Like, I promise to do something and you spend one of your boons instead of mine? What kind of boons are we talking about here? And, like, can I combine boons somehow?

So, like, if I have these two greater boons, can I spend them both on the same thing, or can I spend one and you also spend one or what? I get that you just found out about this and don't have all the answers, but surely you know something."

Reina focuses on the message about gaining her boons. Logically, the most likely thing would be merging two boons of the same level into a boon of a higher level. She focuses on the two greater boons and mentally tries to will them together into a single, stronger boon.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"Ugh. Don't make things so complicated."

He pinches the bridge of his nose for a second, then rubs his temples as he sighs.

As he has his minor stress attack, you receive the expected popup.

Realm Notice
    Boons Merged!
    You have two (2) Epic Boons.

"Look, I'll give you," he starts before coming to a complete stop as he notices what you've done. "That shouldn't be possible... Huh."

He fiddles around with his tablet.

"Oh... Oh! Nice. And then, can I... Yes! YES! OH HELLS YES! Merging them changes the ownership metadata, and I can assign the merged boons to myself! Woo!

Let's see. That's... three Divine, two Legendary, an Epic, and a Greater! Uh...
    " he glances up at you as if just remembering you're still here.

"Right. Uh. Since I can freely assign these. Uh... Thanks. This is for you. Anyway, I quit. So... Peace out!"

He clicks two more times on the tablet then slams it down on the desk, causing the wobbly thing to creak, threatening to collapse. With a slightly maniacal laugh, the intern starts to walk away, disappearing into the ether. The desk phases out of existence a few seconds later.

Realm Notice
    Congratulations!
    You have received one (1) Greater Boon.
    You have have two (2) Epic Boons.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2022-08-14 at 10:34 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ookaaaay... What?" Reina chuckles nervously while looking around the void in confusion.

She snaps out of it just as the desk starts to fade and darts towards it in hopes of snagging that tablet.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

You just barely manage to snag it... but it fades away into nothing anyway.

Realm Notice
    Select Your Race
    Dwarf
    Gnome
    Golem
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Human
    Kobold
    Halfbreed
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    _
    Apply Boon to Race
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Freaking tease! That tablet could have been really useful! She should have grabbed it faster rather than standing around all confused. Dang it, Reina, get your head in the game!

So... I could merge these into... Legendary? That would be cool. But then I'd only have a Greater for class. Or I could spend Greater here and go Legendary on class. Ugh! This is so hard to decide! I need more information to make a plan!

Reina struggles while trying to figure out a plan with so little information. She doesn't even know what the boons do. So, how can she make a good plan?!

Okay, if I knew this system better, I would go for a minmax approach and go all in on one thing I know will pan out. But, hell, this is just a beta anyway. Everything is going to get wiped pretty quick, so there's no big deal here.

Oh! Information! Reina clicks "Information" under each of the races.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Dwarf
    Dwarves are industrious craftsmen who typically live deep underground. They have a warrior heritage that honors fallen heroes of old in a form of ancestor worship. Dwarves have a high resistance to magic of all types, which unfortunately makes it difficult for them to use most magic themselves.

Gnome
    Gnomes are brilliant tinkers, builders, engineers, and artificers, always seeking to discover the underlying principles that govern the world around them and then using those principles to create something new.

Golem
    Golems are servitors created by the other races for menial labor or as guardians. Sometimes through chance, mishap, great skill, or a dark ritual, a golem becomes sapient and, it is argued, acquires a sole. These lone creatures often have a sad fate, dismissed by the mortal races as a mere object. However, the benefits of agelessness and the potential to upgrade themselves is unparalleled.

Human
    Humans are the most common race through most of the Realms. They are far more adaptable than any other; however, they tend to have poor relations with the non-human races.

Kobold
    Kobolds proudly claim kinship to dragons, but the comparison often leaves them with a profound sense of inadequacy. Though they are hardworking, clever, and blessed with a natural talent for mechanical devices and mining, they are known spend their days nursing grudges instead of celebrating their own gifts.

Halfbreed
    Halfbreeds are born from a union of two of the common races and often have the strengths of both parents. The parent races are assigned at random.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so obviously Human is the only real choice here... unless "adaptable" means the devs decided to go with the whole "humans get nothing, cause everyone else is a special snowflake" design that's so played out lately... Halfbreed could be worthwhile if the parent races weren't randomized... Ugh! I know I'm going to regret this.

Reina holds her breath as she jams Apply Boon, adding an Epic boon to her race.

If the information option pops up again, she'll hit information on all the races she can choose from.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Realm Notice
    Select Your Race
    Aberrant Duergar
    Mad Scientist Gnome
    All-Purpose Golem
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Ancient Talaire
    Prismatic Dragonkin
    Halfbreed
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information

Aberrant Duergar
    Dwarves are industrious craftsmen who typically live deep underground. They have a warrior heritage that honors fallen heroes of old in a form of ancestor worship. Dwarves have a high resistance to magic of all types, which unfortunately makes it difficult for them to use most magic themselves.

Duergar is a Tier 2 race. Duergar typically live deep below even the deepest dwarven mines. They survive through a combination of great prowess and natural psionic might.

Aberrant Duergar is a Tier 3 race. Whether warped by powers in the deep or the result of cross breeding with eldritch creatures, the aberrant duergar is seen as a piteous existence but one with great potential.

Mad Scientist Gnome
    Gnomes are brilliant tinkers, builders, engineers, and artificers, always seeking to discover the underlying principles that govern the world around them and then using those principles to create something new.

Madboy Gnome is a Tier 2 race. Overcome by a desire to CREATE, the madboy has lost the ability to function in normal society while gaining the ability to design, engineer, and build like none other.

Mad Scientist Gnome is a Tier 3 race. Having overcome the creative fugue state of the Madboy, a Mad Scientist Gnome is no less insane but has managed to systematize that insanity into a productive outlet. Unfortunately, this allows him to be an even greater danger to those around him.

All-Purpose Golem
    Golems are servitors created by the other races for menial labor or as guardians. Sometimes through chance, mishap, great skill, or a dark ritual, a golem becomes sapient and, it is argued, acquires a sole. These lone creatures often have a sad fate, dismissed by the mortal races as a mere object. However, the benefits of agelessness and the potential to upgrade themselves is unparalleled.

Dual-Purpose Golem is a Tier 2 race. A dual-purpose golem was crafted by the very wealthy, very powerful, or very lucky. It was not designed or built with only a single predefined role.

All-Purpose Golem is a Tier 3 race. An all-purpose golem exists only as a result of mad genius, perfectly aligned stars, and divine intervention all coming together to create the impossible: A living machine with a soul equal to that of any other mortal. An All-Purpose Golem can become anything it desires.

Ancient Talaire
    Humans are the most common race through most of the Realms. They are far more adaptable than any other; however, they tend to have poor relations with the non-human races.

Talaire Human is a Tier 2 race. Descendants from the ancient Talaire bloodline have innate psionic talent. They receive a randomly selected bloodline from the six available to their race which determines the exact nature of their psionic powers. Beyond their mental prowess, they are indistinguishable from a normal human.

Ancient Talaire is a Tier 3 race. You possess the pure blood of the ancient Talaire nobility, granting you powerful psionic ability far beyond the average human.

Prismatic Dragonkin
    Kobolds proudly claim kinship to dragons, but the comparison often leaves them with a profound sense of inadequacy. Though they are hardworking, clever, and blessed with a natural talent for mechanical devices and mining, they are known spend their days nursing grudges instead of celebrating their own gifts.

Prismatic Kobold is a Tier 2 race. Having taken on dragon blood, Prismatic Kobolds have become true dragon kin. Their entire outlook on life is upbeat and cheerful, far different from their lesser kin.

Prismatic Dragonkin is a Tier 3 race. Blessed with closer ties to the Shining Dragon, a Prismatic Dragonkin is more dragon than kobold.

Halfbreed
    Halfbreeds are born from a union of two of the common races and often have the strengths of both parents. The parent races are assigned at random.

At Tier 2, you are able to select one of the parent races. Acquired traits are randomized.

At Tier 3, you are able to select both of the parent races. Acquired traits are randomized.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so, my choices are:
    • Dwarf but an Aberration
    • Mad Scientist Gnome that is insane and dangerous
    • Warforged(?)
    • Psionic Human
    • Dragonwrought Kobold(?)
    • Halfbreed of Questionable Parentage

I want to pick the Halfbreed of Questionable Parentage, but I'm certain I'll get screwed over somehow. It doesn't say whether the parents are Tier 1, 2, or 3. So, I'm worried I'll end up with a Tier 1 race, or mix thereof.

The Mad Scientist Gnome sounds awesome from fluff, but... I don't really want to play someone that insane. It could be fun, but if it makes me do random crap it would get really annoying really fast. I'm not sure how else a game would model insanity beyond just screwing with you...

So, I'm thinking boring ol' human is my best bet

"Better to just pick the boring option first time around in these things. I can also pick something nutty on my second character."

Reina wills the selection of Ancient Talaire.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

The other races disperse into mist, which beings to swirl around the Ancient Talaire. A powerful force draws you inexorably into the human, until you find yourself looking out through its eyes. Intense body dysmorphia makes you incredibly uncomfortable for a few seconds, made worse when the body becomes pliable and... fluid. The flesh warps and shapes itself to match your internalized ideal for the character until you find yourself perfectly at home in your new avatar, perhaps even a bit more comfortable than you ever were in your own skin.

Realm Notice
    Assign Your Ability Scores
    You have three (3) Ability Points.
    Strength
    Dexterity
    Constitution
    Intelligence
    Wisdom
    Charisma
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh. Wow. That's lame. I need like... 30 more points.

Reina attempts to apply her Greater Boon here, if possible.

If not, Reina does the only sensible thing: Two points to Constitution. One point to Intelligence.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

You are not able to apply a boon at this stage.

Realm Notice
    Select Your Class
    Aegis
    Paladin
    Soulknife
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Stalker
    Vizier
    Wizard
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    Select
    Information
    _
    Apply Boon to Class
    Last edited by Rizban; 2022-08-15 at 12:49 AM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"What. ... No, really. What? What kind of stupid selection of classes is this? Where's the Fighter or Monk or Cleric or... what even is a Vizier?

Reina hits Information on all of the classes.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Aegis
    The aegis uses psionic power to form ectoplasm into a suit of astral armor, granting unparalleled defense.

Paladin
    Martial champions of the gods, paladins seek to advance their deity's cause wherever possible, through force if necessary.

Soulknife
    Never caught unarmed, the soulknife is the literal interpretation of using the power of the mind as a weapon.

Stalker
    Combining stealth with martial arts prowess, the stalker is a trained warrior and assassin.

Vizier
    Serving as advisors and educators to royalty and the noble class, viziers often wield their akashic magic from a position of prestige.

Wizard
    Through great effort and study, a wizard learns to cast arcane spells. Though their potiential for growth is neraly unlimited, the time dedicated to research often seems overwhelming.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List