New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Yakuza: Like a Dragon: Like a Video Game

So, Yakuza: LaD was free this month with Playstation Plus. I'd played a few Yakuza before, but generally didn't enjoy the brawler gameplay for very long, so, I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I knew it was an RPG, but I didn't know how much of one.

I love this game, y'all. It's on the same level as Persona 5 for me, but without the boppin' soundtrack. I love the job system and the clever way that realistic jobs analogue with traditional RPG classes. Like, the Homeless Guy class is a Black Mage, obviously, based on the skills. But, the little class symbol that looks like a hoodie but could also be mage robes? Chef Kiss.

If you haven't enjoyed this game, oh, gosh, please treat yourself. The story is more interesting than many RPG stories. It's a fun game, it's a funny game.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Yakuza: Like a Dragon: Like a Video Game

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    So, Yakuza: LaD was free this month with Playstation Plus. I'd played a few Yakuza before, but generally didn't enjoy the brawler gameplay for very long, so, I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I knew it was an RPG, but I didn't know how much of one.

I love this game, y'all. It's on the same level as Persona 5 for me, but without the boppin' soundtrack. I love the job system and the clever way that realistic jobs analogue with traditional RPG classes. Like, the Homeless Guy class is a Black Mage, obviously, based on the skills. But, the little class symbol that looks like a hoodie but could also be mage robes? Chef Kiss.

If you haven't enjoyed this game, oh, gosh, please treat yourself. The story is more interesting than many RPG stories. It's a fun game, it's a funny game.
    Like A Dragon is one of the best games I've ever played. It's not only a fantastic (if, at times, very difficult/overtuned) RPG... and also one of Yakuza's best stories, and this is a series renowned for having amazing stories.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Like A Dragon is one of the best games I've ever played. It's not only a fantastic (if, at times, very difficult/overtuned) RPG... and also one of Yakuza's best stories, and this is a series renowned for having amazing stories.
    Well...depends on the game. 3 is pretty awful (in almost every respect), 5 drops the ball at the finish line, and 6 was actually boring enough (along with the clunky newer gameplay) I never finished it.

LaD I've been holding off on getting in part because I didn't finish 6, and in part because I actually liked the brawler gameplay and the last time I finished a turn based game was...a long time ago. I guess I finished MOST of Bravely Default 2, but cut off not long before the "true ending".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You're definitely supposed to grind a bunch in LaD (since the static bonuses gained from increasing job level are sustained even when changing away from that job, which means you need to level up a bunch of jobs on each character). In particular, it's extremely helpful to run through the arena repeatedly, since it provides significant quantities of XP and rare materials needed to craft the best weapons.

The game also wants you play its many, many minigames. In particular, the game expects you to spend a truly immense quantity of money, far more than you can reasonably gain from enemies. The solution: gambling. Play poker, earn millions, buy everything you need.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Well...depends on the game. 3 is pretty awful (in almost every respect), 5 drops the ball at the finish line, and 6 was actually boring enough (along with the clunky newer gameplay) I never finished it.

LaD I've been holding off on getting in part because I didn't finish 6, and in part because I actually liked the brawler gameplay and the last time I finished a turn based game was...a long time ago. I guess I finished MOST of Bravely Default 2, but cut off not long before the "true ending".
    Yea 3 is rough, to the point I've been slowing down my replay of the series going through Kiwami 2 just because I'm really not looking forward to it. I think by the half way point when it's story really starts going it's at the top of the franchise, mostly because it has the best villain. As for Like a Dragon, I still haven't touched it. Part of the reason I'm replaying the whole things is to work up the energy to finally give it a shot really. I adore turn based rpgs though, and it's a nice touch to see a series move towards it late in life rather then the usual pattern of turn based strategy games having their souls sucked out and turned into bland lifeless action games. It's just that the Yakuza gameplay itself isn't something you see as much, especially with such consistently high execution. So I'm sad to see it go. Yes I know about Fist of the North Star I can't afford a PS4.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    You're definitely supposed to grind a bunch in LaD (since the static bonuses gained from increasing job level are sustained even when changing away from that job, which means you need to level up a bunch of jobs on each character). In particular, it's extremely helpful to run through the arena repeatedly, since it provides significant quantities of XP and rare materials needed to craft the best weapons.

The game also wants you play its many, many minigames. In particular, the game expects you to spend a truly immense quantity of money, far more than you can reasonably gain from enemies. The solution: gambling. Play poker, earn millions, buy everything you need.
    The gambling minigames are such a chore, but I feel that way whenever I have to play real-world gambling in a video game. But, I enjoy all the other mini games quite a bit. Can Quest is repetitive, but its a great way to farm for the bugs you need for crafting. I was surprised at how fun the business management minigame is; I've got a ten year old, a chef and a chicken running a very profitable upscale brothel.

Also, Breaker is the best class and gets its best skill pretty early. Always have a breaker in the party.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
    The gambling minigames are such a chore, but I feel that way whenever I have to play real-world gambling in a video game. But, I enjoy all the other mini games quite a bit. Can Quest is repetitive, but its a great way to farm for the bugs you need for crafting. I was surprised at how fun the business management minigame is; I've got a ten year old, a chef and a chicken running a very profitable upscale brothel.
    The business minigame is practically a game in its own right, since it takes several hours to beat (I waited a while while I accumulated high rarity staff and then blasted through it all at once). It's also extremely important to do, since completing it unlocks the final party member.

Also, Breaker is the best class and gets its best skill pretty early. Always have a breaker in the party.
    My vote for most essential class would be Idol, since it quickly unlocks a cheap full party heal. Musician is also useful, since it provides a full-party regeneration effect that is incredibly valuable against bosses (also, hearing your members attempt to sing out 'Endless Love' in the middle of battle is hilarious).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Yea 3 is rough, to the point I've been slowing down my replay of the series going through Kiwami 2 just because I'm really not looking forward to it. I think by the half way point when it's story really starts going it's at the top of the franchise, mostly because it has the best villain.
    Weirdly, I have the exact opposite opinion. Yakuza 3 is at its best when the "plot" is just Kiryu kicking around Okinawa and helping orphan kids with their problems. But a lot of that is sidelined so he can fight an actual cartoon character masquerading as a CIA agent.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-08-17 at 04:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I never really felt like 7 expected me to grind. There's only 2 difficult fights in the whole main game which are the ones against
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kiryu and Majima
    . Maybe some of the side content I didn't see might require it. The option is certainly there to grind 100 different bars, but it's a Yakuza game so that's expected. I didn't feel like it was necessary to win.