New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Completely Random Speculation on Future Products

Hello, everyone. Its been quite some time. I sincerely hope you've all been quite well!

For those a bit unfamiliar with myself, someone once said the following statement:
    "If Jeremy Crawford said it was false, and jaappleton said it was true, I'd call Crawford a ****ing liar."

I was kindly asked to not leak things anymore. Previously, I was happy to provide rather informed opinions on things that I knew regarding upcoming products and releases.

For a variety of reasons, I shall happily oblige in not leaking things.

That being said, please enjoy these totally rampant speculations about the future of D&D 5e... and future... Products.

-Enjoy an anthology adventure on heists this upcoming winter

-Behind door number two you'll be able to enjoy a lovely vacation in the world of Planescape / Sigil in 2023, quite possibly a 3 piece book set similar to Spelljammer

-Dragonlance content coinciding roughly with the release of the upcoming film, of course, though is this honestly speculation? C'mon, you all saw this coming.

-A book centered on Giants, similar to Fizban's Treasure of Dragons sounds like it could be fun, if it were actually happening. Remember, I only talk in hypotheticals here.

-Seen those UAs where Feats have level requirements? Those aren't going away. Get used to them.

-Ever wondered what a new virtual tabletop could be like, fully and completely integrated into D&D Beyond now that WOTC owns them? What if it was all in the Unreal engine? Then D&D One is for you. Get used to something called D&D One. You could say its whats... Next.

-Even MORE MtG crossover content

-Hypothetically, if the next iteration of D&D releasing in 2024 were to begin playtesting later this week, you could look forward to seeing your background giving you a Feat become the standard operating procedure, along with partial ability score adjustments.
    EDIT: NEXT ITERATION OF D&D RECEIVES ITS FIRST PUBLIC PLAYTEST MATERIAL THURSDAY, if I were a betting man.

Please remember everyone, this is all purely random speculation. This isn't gospel. After all, I've never said anything you can absolutely take to the bank.

ADDITIONAL EDIT MORNING OF AUGUST 17TH: There is one more piece, and this is... Different. I attended PAX East back in April. While there, I met some very lovely people I look up to that I'd always wanted to meet, and they were all absolutely terrific. Legitimately, they all spoke to me like we'd been friends for years, though it was my first time formally meeting them. Two of the people I'm talking about were cast members in a popular D&D stream helmed by one Christopher Perkins. Something happened regarding two cast members, and the show was cancelled. However... At PAX East, I was told by those two cast members that the show was returning with the whole original cast. They told me that would be announced back in June, but it wasn't. WOTC just officially ended their support for another streamed show of theirs, due to budget reasons (Think it was Rivals of Waterdeep?). I'm connecting the dots (HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING) that the ended support for that show to clear room in the budget for Perkins show to return. If you know the show I'm talking about, you can look up the guest list from PAX East, you'll see exactly who told me, I'm not saying more. I've left more than enough breadcrumbs on that one. >_>

YET ANOTHER EDIT: In the "next iteration of D&D playtest" that could come out WHENEVER, maybe even tomorrow, one of the parts could involve how much more tied in the Background is. Also could include rough rules regarding making half races. Half Gnome and Half Orc? Could rules for that be included in such a hypothetical playtest? Maybe, I don't know, just speculating. Wouldn't expect much in this first playtest regarding alternative class features or class tweaks, though. Could expect to see just one big ol' spell list.

YET EVEN ONE MORE EDIT: LOT of emphasis on the multiverse in the new UA. Oh, and if you like Animalfolk...
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2022-08-18 at 10:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Completely Random Speculation on Future Products

The VTT baseless speculation has me salivating.

Planescape, Dragonlance, or Giant stuff wouldn't surprise me given the recent UAs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Going to put it to rest right now before anyone asks:

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to hazard a guess, Dark Sun is unfortunately still a ways away. Sorry.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2022-08-16 at 03:22 PM.
    Avatar courteously cleaned up by thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Please remember everyone, this is all purely random speculation. This isn't gospel. After all, I've never said anything you can absolutely take to the bank.
    Y'know, I very recently got into The Venture Bros., and every time Jefferson Twilight was on screen, I half expected him to turn to the viewer and start dropping previews of the his wild and unsubstantiated ravings as to the near future of the 5e product line.

Even with some misgivings and minor gripes towards recent stuff, he said, waving at his thread grousing about the lack of suggested personality trait/ideal/bond/flaw tables in the new Spelljammer backgrounds, I gotta admit a few of these rampant scattershot complete guesses are getting me hyped.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Behind door number two you'll be able to enjoy a lovely vacation in the world of Planescape / Sigil in 2023, quite possibly a 3 piece book set similar to Spelljammer
    Yeah for Planescape but I will be sad if it once again means wasting a third of the product on an adventure. More setting infos, player options and monsters please.

Dragonlance content coinciding roughly with the release of the upcoming film, of course, though is this honestly speculation? C'mon, you all saw this coming.
    I didn't, because the movie appears to be set in the Realms.

Ever wondered what a new virtual tabletop could be like, fully and completely integrated into D&D Beyond now that WOTC owns them?
    You mean automatically getting the virtual copy of any physical product you buy? Oh am I glad it is finally happening.

Even MORE MtG crossover content
    Fine by me. They have been teasing news about the machine world, which looks very interesting, and I hope it is a D&D book.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Polyphemus View Post
    Y'know, I very recently got into The Venture Bros., and every time Jefferson Twilight was on screen, I half expected him to turn to the viewer and start dropping previews of the his wild and unsubstantiated ravings as to the near future of the 5e product line.
    Sorry, Jefferson Twilight only hunts Blackulas.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Going to put it to rest right now before anyone asks:

Hypothetically speaking, if I were to hazard a guess, Dark Sun is unfortunately still a ways away. Sorry.
    Honestly, I don't expect to see Dark Sun this edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Honestly, I don't expect to see Dark Sun this edition
    I agree. While it's not particularly my jam, I feel bad for those that crave it.

Hope we are both incorrect, but alas.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't have Spelljammer yet but it was apparently going to include "Athaspace" which was changed to "Doomspace" and may or may not still be about Athas?

Anyway, people are now complaining that it gives no info on Realmspace, so...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hello, everyone. Its been quite some time. I sincerely hope you've all been quite well!

For those a bit unfamiliar with myself, someone once said the following statement:
    "If Jeremy Crawford said it was false, and jaappleton said it was true, I'd call Crawford a ****ing liar."

I was kindly asked to not leak things anymore. Previously, I was happy to provide rather informed opinions on things that I knew regarding upcoming products and releases.

For a variety of reasons, I shall happily oblige in not leaking things.

That being said, please enjoy these totally rampant speculations about the future of D&D 5e... and future... Products.

-Behind door number two you'll be able to enjoy a lovely vacation in the world of Planescape / Sigil in 2023, quite possibly a 3 piece book set similar to Spelljammer

-Dragonlance content coinciding roughly with the release of the upcoming film, of course, though is this honestly speculation? C'mon, you all saw this coming.

-A book centered on Giants, similar to Fizban's Treasure of Dragons sounds like it could be fun, if it were actually happening. Remember, I only talk in hypotheticals here.

-Seen those UAs where Feats have level requirements? Those aren't going away. Get used to them.

-Ever wondered what a new virtual tabletop could be like, fully and completely integrated into D&D Beyond now that WOTC owns them? What if it was all in the Unreal engine? Then D&D One is for you. Get used to something called D&D One. You could say its whats... Next.

-Hypothetically, if the next iteration of D&D releasing in 2024 were to begin playtesting later this week, you could look forward to seeing your background giving you a Feat become the standard operating procedure, along with partial ability score adjustments.

Saw tread tittle and author
    read the 1st paragraph
    eddit: 3rd paragraph
    Last edited by Rafaelfras; 2022-08-16 at 10:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rafaelfras View Post
    Saw tread tittle and author
    read the 1st paragraph
    So you have not been doing well? I am sorry to read that.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

So I just updated the first post.
    I felt I could take an additional guess.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'd believe that, though I'm very surprised how many DS monsters made their way into SJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: NEXT ITERATION OF D&D RECEIVES ITS FIRST PUBLIC PLAYTEST MATERIAL THURSDAY, if I were a betting man.
    Time to see if it is truly 5.5 or is in fact 6e, I guess.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Hehe

Ooh, 5.5e hype!

"Partial ability score adjustments?" Wonder what that means. More ASIs?
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

works for me
    And {censored} Dragonlance/Krynn material. The UA was garbage.
    Get used to me not buying any more products. That is a terrible idea.
    Get out the pitchforks and torches.

I might sign up for the play test, though.
    Hypothetically speaking, if I were to hazard a guess, Dark Sun is unfortunately still a ways away.
    The devs and Hasbro are gutless.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-08-16 at 07:49 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I'd believe that, though I'm very surprised how many DS monsters made their way into SJ.
    Psionics aren't currently being worked on.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I believe you (fine by me, they've been done poorly so many times). Kinda worried what they'll do to PS after the hack job they've done to the cosmology in SJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That stinks.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

21. - Top - End - #21

Isn't "psionics" just componentless spellcasting in this edition anyways? Judging not just by Aberrant Mind here, but also by the MotM stuff like Gith, Duergar, the Elder Brain etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey look, Appleton's back, y'all! Missed you, man. I'm deeply bored by the VTT conversation, but I'm a technophobe, so that's to be expected. I am very interested in more MtG material and the first iteration of the public playtest for 5.5E, though!

Thanks for the wild speculation!

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    surely you jest

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I wonder will there be a "martial artist" background/feat where any class could get some type of unarmored defense.

Or perhaps a Kara-Tur guide.

Maybe the MTG/DND will have a Tarkir realm expansion.
    Last edited by dndkungfu; 2022-08-16 at 10:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by dndkungfu View Post
    I wonder will there be a "martial artist" background/feat where any class could get some type of unarmored defense.

Or perhaps a Kara-Tur guide.

Maybe the MTG/DND will have a Tarkir realm expansion.
    I suspect Tarkir in D&D is more likely than people give it credit for, as Tarkir was mentioned once or twice in Fizban’s, despite for now being entirely a MtG world.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    I suspect Tarkir in D&D is more likely than people give it credit for, as Tarkir was mentioned once or twice in Fizban’s, despite for now being entirely a MtG world.

Good catch.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd call Crawford a ****ing liar."
    Simplifies everything to keep it at this.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Isn't "psionics" just componentless spellcasting in this edition anyways? Judging not just by Aberrant Mind here, but also by the MotM stuff like Gith, Duergar, the Elder Brain etc.
    No, whilst they do lazily rely on spellcasting too much, psionics can also be seen telekinetic, telepathic, Soul Knife Rogue, and Psi Warrior Fighter. Whilst spells pop up in parts there, they have a lot (most for the subclasses) that are not spells.

I'm still in the camp of 'polish the Mystic and ship it.' But that horse is probably already glue.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rafaelfras View Post
    surely you jest
    Yeah, it was a joke over the concept of "first paragraph" when there is a line jump after two sentences.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Enjoy an anthology adventure on heists this upcoming winter
    The last few anthologies have been fairly boring, short, and easy. You're not my Dad. Don't tell me to enjoy things. Besides, it's probably not even real.

Behind door number two you'll be able to enjoy a lovely vacation in the world of Planescape / Sigil in 2023, quite possibly a 3 piece book set similar to Spelljammer
    Lovely vacation? In Sigil? ...Now I know you're making stuff up.

Dragonlance content coinciding roughly with the release of the upcoming film, of course
    Of course we know that they cut out Weis and Hickman if such a thing was ever even real. So I'm...Wary.

A book centered on Giants, similar to Fizban's Treasure of Dragons sounds like it could be fun, if it were actually happening.
    Hooray! In another thread I opined that maybe Fizban's was maybe the latest good book...So more like Fizban's would be great.
    However, if it's written like current books I'm probably all hyped over nothing;

'Did you know that Giants exist? Great. Now you do the rest because if we speculate on Giant culture or traditions or alignment Twitter losers will call us mean things. So here are some stat blocks and nothing else.'

Seen those UAs where Feats have level requirements? Those aren't going away. Get used to them.
    I don't want more Feats.
    I want more access to Feats.

Ever wondered what a new virtual tabletop could be like, fully and completely integrated into D&D Beyond now that WOTC owns them? What if it was all in the Unreal engine?
    I'm so glad that nothing you say could be true because if this happens I can just play video games.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome