New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Monster abilities spreadsheet

Hello everyone!

I always find myself wondering if there are monsters in 3.5 that do this or that thing.
    "Is there a Humanoid creature with more than 20 Str?"
    "Is there a creature with SLAs from all nine schools?"
    "What is the monster with the highest amount of natural attacks that I can Alter Self myself into?"
    There are already a few monster searchers but none that allow to search for specific kinds of abilities. That's why I decided to make my own! You can find below my sortable and filterable spreadsheet of all abilities, qualities and sources of 3rd edition D&D monsters!!

Click here to see the spreadsheet!
    Link 2: OpenDocument Spreadsheet
    Beni's personal link

This sheet currently follows the LA-assignment thread and covers the Monster Manual 1, Monster Manual 3, Heroes of Horror, Tome of Battle, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Fiend Folio, Libris Mortis and a chunk of the online monsters listed in Thurbane's "Monster Manual 6".
    For each monsters are listed:
    - General informations, including number of RHD, ability scores, types and subtypes, senses and movement speeds.
    - Combat abilities, including natural attacks, other actions, auras, breath weapons and various abilities that may be relevant
    - General other traits, including defensive abilities, innate spellcasting and a gross estimation of SLAs (maximum level of SLAs, CL and accessible schools)
    - Summary of general abilities of the monster with the roles it can fill and how it would be able to contribute in a party or as an encounter.

I didn't include class skills for each monster. It seemed like a hell of a lot of work for a small reward. I might do it someday if many people ask for it.

If you want to contribute (and I and the community would immensely appreciate if you do), you can follow the link below and find the editable spreadsheet. I will update the archive sheet every once in a while to match the public one.

If you want to add a few more monsters to the list, thank you!

What do you think of it? Would you like it if I add other informations about monsters? Which ones? Is there something I did wrong? In any case, enjoy, and, since it is how they say in these threads, Please Examine And Critique Honestly.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2023-11-04 at 10:29 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Monster abilities spreadsheet

Great idea ! I hope I'll find the time to contribute.
    Thks Beni

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is excellent! Thank you, Beni

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

This seems quite handy.

It may be a near-impossible ask, but a 'extraoordinary attacks' column would be helpful for polymorph.

I noticed that when sorting on range, the second header column gets sorted also. Is there a way to avoid that?

A minor correction: the hobgoblin should not have an armor bonus of 10.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    This seems quite handy.

It may be a near-impossible ask, but a 'extraoordinary attacks' column would be helpful for polymorph.

I noticed that when sorting on range, the second header column gets sorted also. Is there a way to avoid that?

A minor correction: the hobgoblin should not have an armor bonus of 10.
    I think it would make things even messier than they are to further sort them between (Ex), (Su), (Na)... (Not to mention very tedious). The even more complete Polymorph thread and the Shapechange handbook might be interesting for your purposes. Otherwise, most (Ex) attacks are in the "Unique natural weapon", "grappling" and "Other Combat Abilities" in my sheet. If you have doubts (is the Nightmare's Smoke (Ex) or (Su)?), then you should check the monster's statblock.

For the sorting, I changed a few things, and I'm not sure it's completely fixed, but now when I right-click on the header ("A8"), I can sort the column while keeping both headers. Don't know how to do that when using the Filter option to sort the column.

Thank you for the hobgoblin. Corrected.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, Beni, hats off to you. This would have been an absolutely miserable slog to create, and it's an insanely useful resource. Thank you so much, and out of gratitude I certainly will stop by to add entries, hell, you deserve that for just the effort alone.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    I think it would make things even messier than they are to further sort them between (Ex), (Su), (Na)... (Not to mention very tedious).
    Definitely tedious.

The polymorph thread is a great option summary, but it would be nice to be able to (effectively) create the summary on the fly or for unusual circumstances. For example, Reserves of Strength.

The Shapechange handbook is quite comprehensive.

Incidentally, the spreadsheet is missing Crucian (Sandstorm), which is particularly useful for Alter Self.
    For the sorting, I changed a few things, and I'm not sure it's completely fixed, but now when I right-click on the header ("A8"), I can sort the column while keeping both headers. Don't know how to do that when using the Filter option to sort the column.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me---right click on header and sort still leaves the secondary header sorted. Is it viable to embed the first header into the second and just have one header?
    Thank you for the hobgoblin. Corrected.
    Another minor---the hobgoblin should be goblinoid.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, Beni, hats off to you. This would have been an absolutely miserable slog to create, and it's an insanely useful resource. Thank you so much, and out of gratitude I certainly will stop by to add entries, hell, you deserve that for just the effort alone.
    Incidentally, the spreadsheet is missing Crucian (Sandstorm), which is particularly useful for Alter Self.
    I just found a semi-obscure thread from 2015, the Monster Compendium with somebody that did the same thing as me, but actually completed his excel sheet. Not quite as detailed as mine, and doesn't discriminate between (Na), (Ex) and (Su), but it has all the monsters from basically all the sources you'd want, including Web and Dragon Magazine (notably the Crucian, isn't it great!?), and does list abilities as special attacks and special qualities. I thought I'd share it here, since that's probably where it has the most chance to find people interested.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me---right click on header and sort still leaves the secondary header sorted. Is it viable to embed the first header into the second and just have one header?

Another minor---the hobgoblin should be goblinoid.
    I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that while keeping the two headers as they are currently, with "general" headers and more specific ones.
    (and yeah, hobgoblin is now a goblinoid, congrats to him)

Also, I added monsters up to the modrons on the sheet.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I just found a semi-obscure thread from 2015, the Monster Compendium with somebody that did the same thing as me, but actually completed his excel sheet.
    Nice, although not as detailed as you note. Is there a way to import as a start and fill in more detail?
    (and yeah, hobgoblin is now a goblinoid, congrats to him)
    Hobgoblin still say natural armor is 10 in my view?

Also, I noticed that Gravetouched Ghoul's type is misspelled.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nice, although not as detailed as you note. Is there a way to import as a start and fill in more detail?
    Absolutely! Not as immediate as I would like‚ but copying whole columns for each book is pretty easy and faster to do than filling them by hand. I'll get to it after I change something that's been bugging me since the beginning : my natural weapon section doesn't show how many of each specific weapon a creature has‚ which is something I should have done from the beginning.

Hobgoblin still say natural armor is 10 in my view?

Also, I noticed that Gravetouched Ghoul's type is misspelled.
    Yeah‚ it's almost like I reloaded an older version at some point and it removed some of the things I had changed.... Corrected (again)