New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: IC: Commoners

1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: IC: Commoners

”Fighting has a way of finding me, so far at least. And I’ve got nowhere to go after running from the last fight, hell running from the last fight just made a lot of things worse. If I’m going be doing it I want to be doing it in a way that helps people, and that’s right here."

For a second, Dufandir takes a long breath, and wishes he’d gone to the innkeepers for a drink before this, his hands still shaking from the earlier violence.

“If you’ve got a destination, a home out there to get to, I’d say you ought to get there quick as you can. But I’ve got to learn to fight these battles, that’s what I’m doing here.”
    Last edited by JbeJ275; 2022-09-12 at 03:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

With Twinforge disarmed, Skittles takes the rest back up the stairs for identification by the Bard, and redistribution: Satria taking Twinforge's Crested Belt (apparently magicked to make her dwarf-like, or make Dwarves like her? She didn't exactly follow that part...), Rhubarb taking the Runed ring of Protection, and Dufander taking most of the weapons and Twinforge's nice leathers.

Skittles' new cloak is apparently magicked as well, to protect her from mishaps... Which seems lucky for her current track record. Hearing the other two's misgivings and possible work-arounds with Dufander's hellbent on joining the Resistance, Skittles ponders more.

"I've got my family shop downtown, been there for a generation... It's well-known enough, but a hotspot for the Rangers as they buy my wares. So long as we keep this under wraps, we could use that as a base for operations, with Satria keeping up her traveling sales. The Rangers wouldn't expect their longtime local store to be an immediate threat..."

Having finally interacted with the Bard for the first time, she notices the Pink and Purple Ring he's clearly trying to offhand onto someone else. Asking after the story, she hears that the others were "pure of heart" and takes the ring in hand, reading the inscription within.

"There is nothing good nor bad
    Thinking makes it so...

Well, no-one would call me pure of heart, good or bad. I'm just me."
    And with that, she slips the pretty, colorful ring onto her finger, admiring the pink and purple against her red scales.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Coral, briefly enraptured by all the strange sights and experiences, turns back to look at Inanna. This time a good, long look.

It seemed both girls were in consensus.

They agree to swim deeper into the cave, provided there is still some light to see.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    And I had almost forgotten. I bet Inanna can see better than Coral here too.
    All marine creatures
    Swim in the same direction
    When paths both left and right open
    All travel together
    When choices are many
    Only one choice is made

Inanna takes Coral by the hand
    Following the crowd
    As the light disappears
    Coral swims in darkness
    Broken only by the occasional pulse
    Of purple or orange bioluminescent light

The creatures all stop
    Within an immense underwater cavern
    Nearly spherical but appearing
    To have been carved by nature

At the centre
    Seated upon a narrow elevated pillar of volcanic rock
    Surrounded by underwater vents
    Is a humanoid creature seated in meditation
    All life circles the individual
    With reverence

The one in the centre
    Is blind
    Or more accurately
    Has no need of eyes

Fins upon its arms and legs
    Through gills it breathes
    Skin translucent like a jellyfish
    Glows upon command
    An aura of blue-white light
    Illuminates the surrounding environment

4. - Top - End - #394

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    "So long as the Baroness doesn't know I was involved I can still run trade. But that being said, her supporting such a lawless man suggests much about her."

Satria's features are grim annoyance as she speaks, grabbing a few of the items and keeping the ones she'd already nabbed. It had been the wildest night of her life, and yet things weren't over quite yet.
    It is still before the break of dawn
    Satria’s cart loaded with barrels of ale
    In addition to what she purchased
    Along with sacks of flour
    Waits in an outbuilding
    Her mule
    Rested and fed

A cargo still waits for Satria in Needlemeer

Casa the innkeeper greets Satria
    With a common elven greeting
    Warm and sympathetic to the merchant’s plight
    An alibi she offers
    None need know what happened

She has an order for goods
    To provide her with official business
    Along with a note
    Taken from the body of the thief
    Marked with official seals

5. - Top - End - #395

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    With a thankful nod to Stringfellow, Rhubarb likewise begins to absentmindedly pick up and stash away a couple of smaller, lighter items. She likes to think she's earned them and she'd be ready to fight for some, such as the lead ranger's survival kit, useless as it may seem to the others. Didn't mean to stay, here or with the lot here. ahe admits somewhat nervously while at that. You're bad luck, both of you. she looks at Satria and Dufander in turn. Not sure what I'd do instead's the issue. This place is much. More than I can handle. Alone, I'd have died twice. she laments. You really want more fighting, dwarf?
    The dwarf intends
    To join the rebellion
    Against the Baroness’ authority
    Along for such folly
    He would like Rhubarb to join
    Skilled they were
    A fighting chance they might have

Their meeting is interrupted
    By a most insistent villager
    With a message

Ug-Ton, [Ranger level 2]
    Demands to die
    By the hand of the fearsome warrior
    Who defeated him
    Rhubarb

6. - Top - End - #396

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]”Fighting has a way of finding me, so far at least. And I’ve got nowhere to go after running from the last fight, he’ll running from the last fight just made a lot of things worse. If I’m going be doing[ it I want to be doing it in a way that helps people, and that’s right here.”/COLOR]

For a second, Dufandir takes a long breath, and wishes he’d gone to the innkeepers for a drink before this, his hands still shaking from the earlier violence.

“If you’ve got a destination, a home out there to get to, I’d say you ought to get there quick as you can. But I’ve got to learn to fight these battles, that’s what I’m doing here.”
    Stringfellow the bard
    Swears he was uninvolved
    In the entire affair

His recognition
    Can not be tarnished
    With the hint of disloyalty
    For his is a name that shall be spoken for a thousand years
    Of this he is quite certain

Appreciate that his life was spared
    By their heroics
    He offers only platitudes
    And the strange suggestion
    To widely publicize
    The deeds done

7. - Top - End - #397

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ripptor View Post
    With Twinforge disarmed, Skittles takes the rest back up the stairs for identification by the Bard, and redistribution: Satria taking Twinforge's Crested Belt (apparently magicked to make her dwarf-like, or make Dwarves like her? She didn't exactly follow that part...), Rhubarb taking the Runed ring of Protection, and Dufander taking most of the weapons and Twinforge's nice leathers.

Skittles' new cloak is apparently magicked as well, to protect her from mishaps... Which seems lucky for her current track record. Hearing the other two's misgivings and possible work-arounds with Dufander's hellbent on joining the Resistance, Skittles ponders more.

"I've got my family shop downtown, been there for a generation... It's well-known enough, but a hotspot for the Rangers as they buy my wares. So long as we keep this under wraps, we could use that as a base for operations, with Satria keeping up her traveling sales. The Rangers wouldn't expect their longtime local store to be an immediate threat..."

Having finally interacted with the Bard for the first time, she notices the Pink and Purple Ring he's clearly trying to offhand onto someone else. Asking after the story, she hears that the others were "pure of heart" and takes the ring in hand, reading the inscription within.

"There is nothing good nor bad
    Thinking makes it so...

Well, no-one would call me pure of heart, good or bad. I'm just me."
    And with that, she slips the pretty, colorful ring onto her finger, admiring the pink and purple against her red scales.

Now that the danger has past
    Stringfellow strongly urges
    Skittles not to place the ring upon her finger
    Not needing to take such a risk
    Even recommending she return it to him
    He cringes when Skittles cavalierly slips it upon her finger

She does not die
    Several tense moments pass
    She does not die

Stringfellow feels an enormous weight lifted
    Thice a pattern
    Twice only coincidence
    He releases his guilt

The ring
    Such a pretty stone
    Swirls organically with light
    Alive
    Perhaps even intelligent
    The stone
    Desires to be touched

To look upon it
    Would cause Stringfellow
    Far too much pain
    He wishes well
    To its new owner

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Were it not for Coral's comfort with swimming, she would not be wanting to be swimming in such darkness at all, though the occasional faint lights and Inanna's hand guide her.

Once in the large spherical chamber, Coral has no clue what is going on. But perhaps it is best to simply stop among the other marine creatures, finding their own place in that circle, and wait. Coral finds herself holding her breath.. not due to being underwater, but simply from anticipation.

Where had her imagination brought her, and to whom?

9. - Top - End - #399

GnomePirate

Were it not for Coral's comfort with swimming, she would not be wanting to be swimming in such darkness at all, though the occasional faint lights and Inanna's hand guide her.

Once in the large spherical chamber, Coral has no clue what is going on. But perhaps it is best to simply stop among the other marine creatures, finding their own place in that circle, and wait. Coral finds herself holding her breath.. not due to being underwater, but simply from anticipation.

Where had her imagination brought her, and to whom?
    Pulses of light
    Move towards and past Coral
    Once or twice a minute
    Leaving her in darkness
    Otherwise

All oceanic minds
    Harmonize as one
    Clicks and song
    Flashes of colour
    And pulses of light
    Becomes a living language
    All around her

Coral can Speak with Animals
    An ability Inanna lacks
    “Peculiar, most peculiar”
    An octopus leans in closer
    To examine Coral
    A lesser life-form
    Somehow able to communicate

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

The clicks and lights were incomprehensible to Coral at first, but in retrospect, perhaps it was just as much unintelligible as the din of a chattering crowd.

When one focused on one particular thing... Coral hears the octopus nearby. Was the octopus a lesser life form at all? (I hear they can be very smart!)

Coral doesn't move much as the octopus draws closer to examine her, only a bit closer to Inanna if they had separated. Coral was as curious about the octopus as it was of her.

"Hello," she tries to say, but maybe speaking underwater was a bit different than in the air. She slowly waves a free hand as well.

"Please don't mind us, we are only visiting."

11. - Top - End - #401

GnomePirate

The clicks and lights were incomprehensible to Coral at first, but in retrospect, perhaps it was just as much unintelligible as the din of a chattering crowd.

When one focused on one particular thing... Coral hears the octopus nearby. Was the octopus a lesser life form at all? (I hear they can be very smart!)

Coral doesn't move much as the octopus draws closer to examine her, only a bit closer to Inanna if they had separated. Coral was as curious about the octopus as it was of her.

"Hello," she tries to say, but maybe speaking underwater was a bit different than in the air. She slowly waves a free hand as well.

"Please don't mind us, we are only visiting."
    Coral may not consider the Octopus
    To be a lesser life-form
    But after a short conversation
    It becomes obvious
    The octopus most certainly
    Considers Coral lesser than he

With a patronizing vocabulary
    He does declare Coral to be
    Welcomed into their assembly
    Yet the dragon must leave

The octopus unravels one of its long tentacles
    In the direction of Inanna
    She refuses to harmonize
    Her chaos
    Would cause too much distortion
    For all to be heard

Coral may stay but the dragon must go
    Declares the cephalopod
    Folding its tentacles
    In a bunch before it
    As a person might fold their arms

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

"Dragon..? What? Coral asks, looking behind her, over at Inanna, confused.

What was this crazy octopus on about? Or perhaps, there was more to Inanna's heritage in the waking world? Coral couldn't know for sure, but she didn't want to leave her friend far behind.

"She is my friend," Coral says. "How far does she need to go?"

13. - Top - End - #403
    Firbolg in the Playground

Rhubarb's little face twitches slightly when Dufander makes his intent even clearer than before. To the halfling, this grim resolve appears almost spiteful and certainly reckless, far too reckless. On the other hand, ever since she was snatched away from home, the world's been quite consistently trying to kill her, one way or the other. The last few days were harsher than any before and by quite the margin, but if it was the land and its lady, from what she've heard, she'll likely have to travel the same land for a while now. And she doesn't have Mica. And she doesn't know the way.

Her mouth half-opens as she weighs her options: she knows she'll have to say something; but that only makes the sudden distraction so much more welcome. Will come back, to speak more. she assures the conspirators as she stands to follow the messenger outside, strange and ominous as the request made may sound.

She approaches the bound half-orc cautiously, with her eyes narrowed, her grip on the spear's smooth shaft tightening somewhat. They tell me you'd die? A stupid death too. she addresses the ranger, her voice betraying more suspicion than she intended to reveal. Why's that?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Bugbear in the Playground

"If any of you want I'll be happy to take you on as guards. We can help in more subtle ways. Don't need to fight direct." Satria knew a few for some days, and even with the slight encouraging success with her bow, she didn't want to be alone on the road.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Skittles stares at the small ring on her smaller finger, swirling colors as the Bard sighs relief and smiles at the burden now lifted. At his suggestion to publicize the night's events, Skittles looks back up. "It's likely best we keep this between ourselves, for now. The Baroness and her men won't much fancy heroic tales of their own deaths. Keep yourself safe, now."

As Rhubarb leaves to deal with her own Ug-ton issue, she remarks, "Those rangers face death if they return, now. Better to die here than die slowly later. Or," looking to the now battle-crazed Dufander, spoiling for war, "Perhaps they would look for this Twinhammer fellow with you, as well. Signing up for the only side which may take them, if they could even be trusted." Looing back down at her new ring, she almost absent-mindedly adds, "Or just kill them and be done with it. Safer, too."

The swirling colors seem to call to her, as she looks down into them once more. Raising it up into the light of the rising sunout the window, she touches the stone with interest...

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    In for a penny, in for a pound... If this thing is intelligent, she'll be happy for the Will save boost.

Lets activate the ring, pointing it out the back window. In case it matters and/or rips her hand/arm off, she's wearing it on her right and touching it with her left.

Fingers crossed...

16. - Top - End - #406

GnomePirate

What was this crazy octopus on about? Or perhaps, there was more to Inanna's heritage in the waking world? Coral couldn't know for sure, but she didn't want to leave her friend far behind.

The octopus expands its body
    Reaching out with all its limbs
    Grabbing hold
    Of Coral’s wrists and ankles

A million shades of colour
    Does its body cycle through
    His gigantic red eyes
    Showing a highly evolved intelligence

Reaching out for Coral’s temples
    Suction cups latch on
    Gripping her head tightly from both sides
    Harmonizing with her mind
    The message is delivered as clearly as possible

The dragon is

“AN INVADER”

Inanna is shaken awake by Caretaker Olum
    There is no time
    Fighting can be heard
    Many voices shouting
    From the grand hall below

Caretaker Olum
    Places a pair of delicate slippers before Inanna
    Woven from spider silk
    Instructing his ward to quickly put them on
    And follow him out the window

Inanna receives
    Slippers of Spider Climbing: When worn, a pair of these slippers enable movement on vertical surfaces or even upside down along ceilings,
    leaving the wearer’s hands free. Her speed is 20 feet.
    Severely slippery surfaces—icy, oiled, or greased surfaces— make these slippers useless.
    The slippers can be used for 10 minutes per day, split up as the wearer chooses.

Faint transmutation; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, spider climb; Price 4,800 gp;Weight 1/2 lb.

17. - Top - End - #407

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Rhubarb's little face twitches slightly when Dufander makes his intent even clearer than before. To the halfling, this grim resolve appears almost spiteful and certainly reckless, far too reckless. On the other hand, ever since she was snatched away from home, the world's been quite consistently trying to kill her, one way or the other. The last few days were harsher than any before and by quite the margin, but if it was the land and its lady, from what she've heard, she'll likely have to travel the same land for a while now. And she doesn't have Mica. And she doesn't know the way.

Her mouth half-opens as she weighs her options: she knows she'll have to say something; but that only makes the sudden distraction so much more welcome. Will come back, to speak more. she assures the conspirators as she stands to follow the messenger outside, strange and ominous as the request made may sound.

She approaches the bound half-orc cautiously, with her eyes narrowed, her grip on the spear's smooth shaft tightening somewhat. They tell me you'd die? A stupid death too. she addresses the ranger, her voice betraying more suspicion than she intended to reveal. Why's that?
    Ug-ton speaks In a loud voice

“The boy is innocent
    Impressed into service
    Three nights ago
    By Twinforge
    I saw it with my own eyes
    He could be anyone of you
    Allow him return to his family”

Rhubarb comes upon the captured ranger making this plea

His eyes never leave hers
    A sign of respect
    To the victor

“I was Ug-Ton
    Now, I have no name
    You have taken my name
    I demand you accept my death
    In exchange for my name
    For I must die as Ug-Ton

I have nowhere to return
    Here or in the afterlife
    Without a name
    I can not be at peace”

He pauses for as long as possible
    Before adding

“If my death is of no value
    I have much I can share”

Raising one eyebrow
    Hoping to intrigue the halfling

18. - Top - End - #408

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    "If any of you want I'll be happy to take you on as guards. We can help in more subtle ways. Don't need to fight direct." Satria knew a few for some days, and even with the slight encouraging success with her bow, she didn't want to be alone on the road.
    The road to the east
    Is a proper road
    Though fields and estates
    Banditry though not impossible
    Is kept to a minimum

Along the way are country houses
    Ready to receive and open to trade
    If time is used efficiently
    Satria may make it to Needlemeer
    Before sunset

19. - Top - End - #409

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ripptor View Post
    Skittles stares at the small ring on her smaller finger, swirling colors as the Bard sighs relief and smiles at the burden now lifted. At his suggestion to publicize the night's events, Skittles looks back up. "It's likely best we keep this between ourselves, for now. The Baroness and her men won't much fancy heroic tales of their own deaths. Keep yourself safe, now."

As Rhubarb leaves to deal with her own Ug-ton issue, she remarks, "Those rangers face death if they return, now. Better to die here than die slowly later. Or," looking to the now battle-crazed Dufander, spoiling for war, "Perhaps they would look for this Twinhammer fellow with you, as well. Signing up for the only side which may take them, if they could even be trusted." Looing back down at her new ring, she almost absent-mindedly adds, "Or just kill them and be done with it. Safer, too."

The swirling colors seem to call to her, as she looks down into them once more. Raising it up into the light of the rising sunout the window, she touches the stone with interest...

Show
    In for a penny, in for a pound... If this thing is intelligent, she'll be happy for the Will save boost.

Lets activate the ring, pointing it out the back window. In case it matters and/or rips her hand/arm off, she's wearing it on her right and touching it with her left.

Fingers crossed...
    WOOSH
    A great gust of wind
    Swirls around the room
    Knocking everything from its place

The inn shutters
    As a whirlwind is contained
    Within an upper bedroom
    There are shouts of panic
    As debris circles about

The whirlwind does slow
    Condensing into the form of a dwarf
    Old, grizzled, with a long grey beard
    He carries a knotted staff taller than he

“Greedy mortal
    Now you’ve done it
    If you ever
    Take that ring
    Off your finger
    I’ll kill you”

Speaks Enki the Djinni

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Well ****." Says Dufandir in response to the creatures sudden appearance. "Who the hell are you and what are you doing here?"

21. - Top - End - #411

GnomePirate

"Well ****." Says Dufandir in response to the creatures sudden appearance. "Who the hell are you and what are you doing here?"
    I’ve been here the whole time
    I saw what you did
    “Ruthlessly efficient”

He smiles maliciously
    “I’m here to serve
    As long as you follow my rules

The ring must be worn
    By one who is not bound by morality
    Once put in place
    It can never be removed
    Or she’s dead
    If she has a change of heart
    She's dead
    If she tries to do good or bad
    She's dead”

An outburst from Stringfellow
    “You killed my beloved”

The bard lunges forward
    But begins twisting and turning
    As he catches flame
    And does scream in a most horrible way
    As his body is reduced to ash

“I want nothing to do with mortal affairs
    You’re all so conflicted
    You have no idea what you want
    Why don't you just leave me alone

I won’t do it anymore
    Can you imagine
    How often I’m called upon
    To undo some evil
    The very evil
    A warlord used me to accomplish
    Its exhausting”

The old man takes a seat

“Be your greedy
    Little mortal selves
    And I’m at your command”

With but a minor demonstration of his power
    He does produce an abundance of fresh food
    "Enki
    Djinni of Fortune"

Enki uses Scorching Ray on Stringfellow
    Evocation [Fire]
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: One or more rays
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Enki uses Major Creation
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Duration: See text
    Last edited by NihilisticGnome; 2022-09-12 at 04:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

As the Djin burns the entertainer to ash, Dufandir backs slowly out of the room, and proceeds at a quick pace out of the inn, warning the people downstairs to leave as well for magic beyond their understanding had happened and threatened to do great harm.

23. - Top - End - #413

GnomePirate

As the Djin burns the entertainer to ash, Dufandir backs slowly out of the room, and proceeds at a quick pace out of the inn, warning the people downstairs to leave as well for magic beyond their understanding had happened and threatened to do great harm.
    Many common folk do flee
    With Dufander
    Strange magics afoot
    Away from the inn
    Into the cold night

Rhubarb
    Stands before a pair of captured rangers
    With a group of villagers
    Skittles for now
    Remains upstairs in the inn

None having taken her offer
    Satria hears commotion
    While attending to her cart
    Last edited by NihilisticGnome; 2022-09-12 at 05:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414

GnomePirate

At the temple of the dead
    High atop the Felinian mountain
    An event most strange
    When Coral’s body
    Prepared for burial
    But without proper ritual
    Does resume her mortal existence

Opening her eyes
    Sitting up upon the stone table
    For the druids much confusion
    But Wave does embrace her friend
    Happy to see her again

Behind Coral’s eyes
    Inanna does live
    Masquerading as her naive friend
    In full control
    Of what once was Coral’s body

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Inanna, or Coral (?). The one with the elf body in the great tree, awakens with a start, bleary, disoriented, utterly confused. Then the "reality" dawns on her. She puts the slippers on, as she is told, and follows Olum out.

As she's doing so, a thought occurs to her. Much like before, when she was awoken one time, her naivety, trustfulness, panic being preyed upon.. could what she was being told be trusted? Head whirling from side to side, Inanna first skitters to the central of the chamber near the stairs, looking down. Something in her had to be sure whatever this emergency was, was really happening.

Though in hindsight, perhaps later she would think that leaving this place was exactly what she would have wanted anyway.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2022-09-12 at 06:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wanting to leave this inn behind before any more violence emerged Dufandir struck off into the woods. He knew of one bandit campsite, perhaps the signs of that would could potentially lead him to finding others. On the way he attempted to spot the rangers, with it being night and then being human they’d have a poor chance of spotting him before he spotted them, and no reason to ambush his either way. He made sure to sheath Twinforge’s weapon at least for the moment.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Suddenly alone with the suddenly Djinn, Skittles takes note of Rhubarb and their two prisoners below before addressing the Outsider, weighing her words carefully in her head before she speaks.

"Greedy? Is it greed to accept reward after saving a life?" Sitting down at the well-laden table with him, she takes a bit off a leg of meat before continuing, "Is it Greed to admire the beauty of a diamond? The shape of a well-hewn sculpt? The craftsmanship of a masterwork crossbow? To want such things when it's your due?"

Leaning back in the simple chair, she savors another taste of cooked meat, for the first time in a while. "Greed is evil, but self-interest? Taking care of me and mine? That's just the natural order of things. Survival of the fittest. But a bloated, glutinous greed? That takes more than needs, than it can handle? Unfit. A bird too fat, which can no longer fly. Destined for another's dinner."

And a third bite, taking the last of the meat from the bone before leaving the thigh on the plate. Now full, without getting fat. "If you just want to ride along and watch as I do my best to survive, then you can join the bandwagon..." Raising an eyebrow at the Djinn, "Alas, you must have some self-interest of your own? Something I could do for your-self, such that you would do something for my-self?"

Show
    No Bluff check, these are Skittles true thoughts, to live the best life she can without going overboard. To have nice things, to have good friends and family, and to ensure the security of that life. She knows she has to share to have friends, and to not go overboard or invite enmity and internal rot. True, evil greed (The sin of Gluttony) consumes from everyone around itself, until finally consuming itself.

Hoping to establish a give-and-take relationship with the Djinn... He seems to be trying to take control of his situation, after having no control for so long, used up in a cycle of Good and Evil, undoing his last doing with little-to-no say in the matter. Perhaps I can trade favors, or at least keep him entertained enough to keep him appeased?

28. - Top - End - #418

GnomePirate

Inanna, or Coral (?). The one with the elf body in the great tree, awakens with a start, bleary, disoriented, utterly confused. Then the "reality" dawns on her. She puts the slippers on, as she is told, and follows Olum out.

As she's doing so, a thought occurs to her. Much like before, when she was awoken one time, her naivety, trustfulness, panic being preyed upon.. could what she was being told be trusted? Head whirling from side to side, Inanna first skitters to the central of the chamber near the stairs, looking down. Something in her had to be sure whatever this emergency was, was really happening.

Though in hindsight, perhaps later she would think that leaving this place was exactly what she would have wanted anyway.
    Inanna steps out the large open window
    Onto a thick tree branch
    Caretaker Olum offering an hand
    The ground
    Hundreds of feet below
    Is nothing but a dizzying blur

So massive is the branch
    It is wide enough to run upon
    And run they must
    For close behind are their pursuers

Caretaker Olum laments his failure
    Pleading with Inanna to trust him
    As he steps off the branch
    His slippers gripping on to the underside

“You must do the same”
    He says
    Offering his hand

29. - Top - End - #419

GnomePirate

Wanting to leave this inn behind before any more violence emerged Dufandir struck off into the woods. He knew of one bandit campsite, perhaps the signs of that would could potentially lead him to finding others. On the way he attempted to spot the rangers, with it being night and then being human they’d have a poor chance of spotting him before he spotted them, and no reason to ambush his either way. He made sure to sheath Twinforge’s weapon at least for the moment.
    Covered by the night
    Dufander slips past hovels
    Lit with the warmth of home
    Traveling through fields of grain
    Past watchful shepherds minding their flock

Shunning the road
    Dufander escapes
    The forest is alive with sound
    Nocturnal predators stalk the underbrush
    None dare challenge the determined dwarf

Through rough terrain
    Moving overland as well as any ranger
    All through the night
    Until at the break of day
    Dufander comes upon
    Vultures tearing at the flesh
    Of three bandits
    Dead in their camp

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

At first Inanna thought they would be rappelling straight down the trunk of the tree. Then she thought they'd simply be running along the branches.

Then she sees the clever ruse, hiding directly under a large branch, with no visible clues to give them away.

She takes Olum's hands, closes her eyes, and begins to walk upside-down.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    By the way, in my last post I may have delayed slightly looking down at the commotion. Did Inanna see anything?