New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1265 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The punchline is funny, but it feels a little more like the kind of short term pop culture reference that the strip doesn't do as often. Not sure how it will age.
    You are on the internet by no less that 15 years, so I don't understand why you consider this a "short term" reference.
    It's old as smartphone apps, and not going to end in the near future.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The punchline is funny, but it feels a little more like the kind of short term pop culture reference that the strip doesn't do as often. Not sure how it will age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    You are on the internet by no less that 15 years, so I don't understand why you consider this a "short term" reference.
    In Futurama, there's an episode (A Bicyclops Built for Two) where the characters log onto the internet. Fry exclaims in shock, "my god! It's full of ads!" This episode aired in 2000.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine how well the OotS ad joke age.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-08-19 at 09:35 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Mechanus View Post
    Put it another way, Redcloak stated a perfectly reasonable set of parameters based on the assumption that each door is leading to a physical locale directly within the cliff face. This is an incorrect assumption, but he doesn't know that, and the quintus is in no way obligated or inclined to provide him with extra services beyond that which Redcloak has requested.
    First of all, amazing call with the username, considering you signed up over a month before the strip with the summoned Quintus.

Second, I think that Redcloak already realized long ago that he's being teleported around, he just doesn't realize when the teleport is happening and how. After clearing out several dozen (or several hundred) dungeons, you would notice that it's impossible for all of them to be in the same location because they don't leave any room to change direction if at least some of them aren't just single rooms.

Remember that Redcloak is paranoid, he doesn't know how much modrons know and/or don't know, so he will not share any details that might give the Quintus an idea of what they're looking for.

Having said all of that, it seems entirely possible that Redcloak will realize this, and it seems a given to me that the quintus will be aware of these facts but simply not note them as it was not related to the terms laid out. It may request additional payment for the additional services or it may not.
    If Redcloak is already aware of the teleport, he just needs the Quintus to give him a map and thinks that once he has a map, he'll figure out where the teleport is and how it's working. But Redcloak won't ask the modron what he thinks and Redcloak will ignore anything useful the Quintus might tell him simply because he considers himself a superior intellect that doesn't need any help from anyone other than what's explicitly stated (like needing an arcane caster).

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    In Futurama, there's an episode (A Bicyclops Built for Two) where the characters log onto the internet. Fry exclaims in shock, "my god! It's full of ads!" This episode aired in 2000.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine how well the OotS ad joke age.
    The current strip strikes me as the sort of punchline that wouldn't have necessarily worked (or at least not so well) in the era when OotS was a new webcomic, but it does today.

Like, yes, we had internet ads including pop-ups, but smartphones, streaming, etc. were in their infancy at best.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I feel like Redcloak is going to figure it out whether the quinton spells it out explicitly or not. The fact that he asked for the room geometry suggests he already has an inkling that something doesn't make sense. He's been tunnel visioned on clearing the dungeons, but when the math is thrown in his face I think he'll figure it out.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I wonder if the Quinton would even understand the goal. I mean, obviously if it was explained to them, but since the Outsiders get mind-wiped I'm guessing they wouldn't even know about the Snarl. Without knowing that-- and obviously without Redcloak going to the lengths of explaining "we're going to perform a magic ritual to weaponize a god-killing abomination"-- even giving the modrons as much detail as "seize this magical Gate for my god's purpose" probably isn't objectionable.
    Well yeah, that vague would probably be okay for it. There’s a good chance TDO is LE anyways. I meant “if it specifically knew what precisely Team Evil’s goal was” though.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #127

Kobold

At least the ad wasn't a political ad. "President Primus - doing a good job? Let us know!"
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2022-08-19 at 10:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

So.... not asking the Quinton to just legend lore? Maybe he doesn't want the Quinton to know what they're looking for, and they are afraid if he casts legend lore it will betray his core purpose?

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    At least the ad wasn't a political ad. "President Primus - doing a good job? Let us know!"
    Single, 18+ adventurers in your area are looking to party with you!
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

It just felt a little specific to what mobile ads look like right now as opposed to just making a joke about ads in general. If nothing else it stands out a since it's not the usual.

Who wants to bet the EULA on Modron summoning changed recently and Redcloak just made a terrible error.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It just felt a little specific to what mobile ads look like right now as opposed to just making a joke about ads in general. If nothing else it stands out a since it's not the usual.
    Id agree, except if mobile ad formats change it'll still come across as an ad joke, just not a recognizable-as-a-niche one.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-08-19 at 10:44 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #132

I'm curious, which is the typical payment to Primus agents for such a task?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes, many loopholes. Just like prophecies. Just like wishes. I am surprised that a sketch of a monkey paw was nowhere in this strip.
    That was the supposed fifth arm of the quinton in the previous page.

Quote Originally Posted by toughluck View Post
    Second, I think that Redcloak already realized long ago that he's being teleported around, he just doesn't realize when the teleport is happening and how. After clearing out several dozen (or several hundred) dungeons, you would notice that it's impossible for all of them to be in the same location because they don't leave any room to change direction if at least some of them aren't just single rooms.
    The setup is physically possible with no dimensional / teleporting shenanigans whatsoever. All that's needed is for the dungeons to have long corridors between the door and the rooms, so they can spread outwards and downwards from the cliff face.

We also know that the area is composed of "dimensional stone", whose properties are unknown. Some forumites have suggested that it means nothing more than that there's a mass of stone in the corresponding space on the ethereal plane, which would be sufficient to block effects like ghostform travel. My take is that it's involved in the packing of the rooms into a too-small volume and the trap lines at the doors: a single effect with multiple useful consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Single, 18+ adventurers in your area are looking to party with you!
    Our party is too low-level; a level 18+ addition would preclude our getting XP.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by durron597 View Post
    So.... not asking the Quinton to just legend lore? Maybe he doesn't want the Quinton to know what they're looking for, and they are afraid if he casts legend lore it will betray his core purpose?
    that's not a maybe, the quinton explicitly asks what they're searching for and RC told him that he doestn't need to know that

also I'm not sure how much legend lore will help here, yes it fits the requirements but the less people know about it the less details legend lore can give you and the gates and the scribbles themselves have been fairly succesfull at keeping all of this under wraps
    I think if you want anything usefull to show up with legend lore it'd require the quinton to understand that he's looking at part of a whole which would require telling him about the other gates and I think that's a situation which RC definitly wants to avoid

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    standard payments for outsiders
    1) gold or magic items to apropriate temples (I don't kow how much nodroms care about that)
    2) gifts to the creature itself (I don't think any non-corrupted modrons have things that can be described as wants outside of doing their job)
    3) actions that'll help it's cause (for a modron this could be for example the deaths of various chaotic creatures)

so yeah, I'm curious as well what the required payment will be

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    also I'm not sure how much legend lore will help here, yes it fits the requirements but the less people know about it the less details legend lore can give you and the gates and the scribbles themselves have been fairly succesfull at keeping all of this under wraps
    If a construction crew was involved in hiding the gate, there may be lurking information about its location. We know that a construction crew built Dorukan's dungeon, and we saw Serini taking delivery of a crate of monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by a_flemish_guy View Post
    standard payments for outsiders
    [...]
    3) actions that'll help it's cause (for a modron this could be for example the deaths of various chaotic creatures)

so yeah, I'm curious as well what the required payment will be
    Destruction of Xykon, after his role in the ritual is finished..?

17. - Top - End - #137

In hyper lawful news, I'm worried the Redcloak said "Skip!" four times, when he only wanted to skip twice. What horrible (or tedious) things might have been skipped.

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    I've heard energon crystals would be optimal for Primus.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

18. - Top - End - #138

OOTS has had several instances where characters have their requests backfire because of loopholes in how they asked them. I am not sure if the Giant plans on the Quinton seeing the teleport and not mention it, or if he intends to have the Quinton inform Team Evil.
    Either way, I hope it moves the plot along.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

It seems most likely to me that the Quinton will note the teleportation effect after searching several doors. Either that, or it will search the teleported area of one door and then ask if it should also investigate the "real" tunnel.

After all, it doesn't know what Redcloak is looking for, so for all it knows their target could be located in one of the teleported-to rooms. But figuring out the trick does move the plot along to its next beat faster than having it search every door and only THEN telling Redcloak about the teleportation.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    The setup is physically possible with no dimensional / teleporting shenanigans whatsoever. All that's needed is for the dungeons to have long corridors between the door and the rooms, so they can spread outwards and downwards from the cliff face.

We also know that the area is composed of "dimensional stone", whose properties are unknown. Some forumites have suggested that it means nothing more than that there's a mass of stone in the corresponding space on the ethereal plane, which would be sufficient to block effects like ghostform travel. My take is that it's involved in the packing of the rooms into a too-small volume and the trap lines at the doors: a single effect with multiple useful consequences.
    And I think you're reading into this too much. It's made fairly explicit that the swapovers might as well be capable of sending people who cross over... basically anywhere else on the Material. Also, if it was basically a Dungeon of Holding I think that would have pinged on the Detect Magic.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Dear all,

I'm surprised by you forumites, I haven't read any mechanistic rumination.

i.e. despite the fact that Quinton can produce "wall of force" at will, could Sunny's eye still dissolve them? the magical destruction effect of Roy's sword, should it break WoF?

what I fear most, is that hem* might spam clairvoyance/claroudience into hem path, and cause to our side to lose surprise?

also, hem has access to Cleric spells in "Law, War, and Protection" domains. I'm not sure which spell levels, but if I'm interpreting the CR (14) correctly, it means access to seventh level spells like Dictum, Repulsion, Power Word (Blind), and I'm frankly afraid for my beloved PCs and NPCs.

Certainly blackwing will bring back the problem, but how much, the LSSOOOTS will be ready to counter? exciting!

* hem: he/she, but for Modrons

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    It seems most likely to me that the Quinton will note the teleportation effect after searching several doors. Either that, or it will search the teleported area of one door and then ask if it should also investigate the "real" tunnel.

After all, it doesn't know what Redcloak is looking for, so for all it knows their target could be located in one of the teleported-to rooms. But figuring out the trick does move the plot along to its next beat faster than having it search every door and only THEN telling Redcloak about the teleportation.
    I'm imagining it going like this, at a suitably dramatic moment:

"Wait. Why is this room on your projection differently colored?"
    ⚙️: "That is not a room, that is a region overlapped by two rooms from the baseline observation point."
    "How is that possible?"
    ⚙️: "The end points of the respective teleportation effects are necessarily not aligned with respect--"
    "Teleportation?!?! When have we been teleporting?"
    ⚙️: "Each doorway contains a spacial translocation zone."
    "And you didn't think to tell me?"
    ⚙️: "You necessarily traversed one to get to the location where you summoned me."
    "And that means I was supposed to know?"
    ⚙️: "Are you not familiar with Gear'rdus Mercator's Treatise on Higher-Dimensional Topology?"
    "...you thought it was obvious we were exploring a teleportation-linked complex, because we were inside a teleportation-linked complex."
    ⚙️: "Correct."

(Unicode gear emoji not to scale, probably.)
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Dear all,

I'm surprised by you forumites, I haven't read any mechanistic rumination.

i.e. despite the fact that Quinton can produce "wall of force" at will, could Sunny's eye still dissolve them? the magical destruction effect of Roy's sword, should it break WoF?

what I fear most, is that hem* might spam clairvoyance/claroudience into hem path, and cause to our side to lose surprise?

also, hem has access to Cleric spells in "Law, War, and Protection" domains. I'm not sure which spell levels, but if I'm interpreting the CR (14) correctly, it means access to seventh level spells like Dictum, Repulsion, Power Word (Blind), and I'm frankly afraid for my beloved PCs and NPCs.

Certainly blackwing will bring back the problem, but how much, the LSSOOOTS will be ready to counter? exciting!

* hem: he/she, but for Modrons
    First of all, "they" is probably enough, though most sources tend to use "it".

Second, Wall of Force is explicitly indestructible if it's not one of the explicit abilities that can pop it. Sunny's antimagic cone and disintegration ray would work(as would the Disintegration spell). Roy's magic sword doesn't do jack unless he's taken like ten levels including one in an epic prestige class since the last time we saw him or if his sword has a property similar to an Angelwing Razor(which it isn't depicted as, likely a good thing as said artifacts are made by honing the edges on the wings of captive celestials).

Third, CR is Challenge Rating. It has nothing directly to do with caster level. If you've got a source, it probably lists what level of cleric casting a Quinton has access to. Also, it's not contracted for helping Team Evil against the Order anyways.

I don't know where your sources are from anyways - five quatloos says that it's from dandwiki, which is notoriously full of homebrew, since I don't think there's been any official supplement in 3.x with Modron statblocks.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don't know where your sources are from anyways - five quatloos says that it's from dandwiki, which is notoriously full of homebrew, since I don't think there's been any official supplement in 3.x with Modron statblocks.
    Modrons appear in one of the web enhancements for the 3.0 Manual of the Planes. You can keep your quatloos, if you like.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Modrons appear in one of the web enhancements for the 3.0 Manual of the Planes. You can keep your quatloos, if you like.
    Got a link? Can't seem to find it.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Got a link? Can't seem to find it.
    Ooh neat, archive.org backed up the zipped PDF from WotC's 3.x pages.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Second, Wall of Force is explicitly indestructible if it's not one of the explicit abilities that can pop it. Sunny's antimagic cone and disintegration ray would work(as would the Disintegration spell). Roy's magic sword doesn't do jack unless he's taken like ten levels including one in an epic prestige class since the last time we saw him or if his sword has a property similar to an Angelwing Razor(which it isn't depicted as, likely a good thing as said artifacts are made by honing the edges on the wings of captive celestials).
    ok thanks, this means Sunny is going to have a seriously big target painted over heb (he/she but for beholder? ) back

Third, CR is Challenge Rating. It has nothing directly to do with caster level. If you've got a source, it probably lists what level of cleric casting a Quinton has access to. Also, it's not contracted for helping Team Evil against the Order anyways.
    I checked the 3.x source, and, when I read "as a 20th-level cleric". I normally expect is the Caster Level for Dispelling purposes, not descriptive of the number of spell slots and spell known. but I never played a 3.x so please let me know.

If the Team Evil has such arsenal now with an expense of 1000px from R.C. it seems to be a very good investment for a little bald man

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    I checked the 3.x source, and, when I read "as a 20th-level cleric". I normally expect is the Caster Level for Dispelling purposes, not descriptive of the number of spell slots and spell known. but I never played a 3.x so please let me know.

If the Team Evil has such arsenal now with an expense of 1000px from R.C. it seems to be a very good investment for a little bald man
    No, it really means that it has the casting abilities of a 20th-level cleric. Ironically, this thing is even better at casting Cleric spells than its summoner.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    "...you thought it was obvious we were exploring a teleportation-linked complex, because we were inside a teleportation-linked complex."
    ⚙️: "Correct."
    I mean when he puts it like that...
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #150

I like the unbridled optimism that ads are going away sometime soon!
    Last edited by Eric the White; 2022-08-19 at 02:26 PM.