New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Galar's New Heroes! [IC]

It's a big day, in Wedgehurst. The Pokémon League is starting soon this year, and Champion Alfonzo is visiting your little town. It's been a while since he's been here-despite being good friends with Professor Sonia and her assistant Hop, he's been being kept busy with one thing after another. Chairman Rose's sudden departure has left a bit of a vacuum, and while he's no politician, he's a celebrity with a good heart. He's been working to keep all of Galar safe and secure.

The train pulls in... And out steps a tall black man. He's dressed in a similar outfit to the old champion Leon, though he has foregone the cape. He waves his hands, and is greeted with a thunderous round of applause and cheering!

You all cheer too, but Ben spots something. The Champ doesn't look quite the same. He turns to look around, basically the only person to do so, and sees a man with the same skin color, but of a little more average height, with a Lucario leading him. He's dressed in simple pants and a jacket, with no shirt under the jacket. His eyes lock onto Ben's, and he smiles, swooping by your guys' spot near the back of the crowd. "Walk with the champ?" he asks.

Walking with him, he explains briefly "I get tired of all the crowds. I really appreciate how much people care about me, but man, it gets exhausting. So I hired a stunt double. Speaking of which, uh, don't tell anyone about this, okay?" he asks sincerely.

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-08-19 at 10:33 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Galar's New Heroes! [IC]

Ben gave a hesitant nod, popping out his earbuds and slinging them around his neck in one quick motion as he fell into step beside the champ.

Bellerog got up from where she'd been dozing at Ben's feet, stretching, yawning, and then giving a brief, silent doggy laugh as she followed the pair. She tended to take a fairly relaxed view of whatever antics the crazy humans were up to, at least those who weren't part of her adopted pack.

Then Ben flashed a quick, lopsided grin at the champ.

"Just me, of course, but I'd've kept the cape."
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2022-08-19 at 09:49 PM.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nick

Nick meanwhile is more distracted by the obvious show of the event, finding a nice rock, or ledge... something sturdy to stand up to get a better. As it seems his new partner is wont to do, Eevee is sitting on his shoulder for both comfort and to get a better view without being crowded out. After a bit of squirming, Nick holds up Eevee to make sure it gets the best view.

"Can you see everything?"
    "Vee!"

Then suddenly Eevee squirms out of his grip and heads over more towards where the others were standing. Nick chases after.
    "Hey why did you-"

And that's about where the fanboy circuit of his brain has a short
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

It was the fashion, lately, to keep one of your pokemon out at all times. As long as they were a reasonable size, of course. Kei didn't care much for fashion, but certainly didn't mind an excuse to be able to hold onto Star more, something that the skitty certainly seemed to appreciate, occasionally mewling happily, though she wasn't able to see much of anything. Between paying attention to her and trying to keep his eyes on the champ, he didn't notice Ben leaving, before Nick called out. Then, curious, he followed along, too.

5. - Top - End - #5

"You think?" Alfonzo asks. "Aurora," he gestures to his Lucario, "thought it was a bit gaudy."

He picks up the pace a bit, making sure no one else spots him before you're away from the crowd. The trek to Sonia's lab is a short one, and you see Hop outside playing a game of fetch with his Dubwool. "The heck-" he starts, not sure why anyone is bothering with the lab when the champ is visiting, but then he spots Alfonzo. "Dude!" he yells, and rushes over to give the slightly-taller man a hug. "It's been too long! How's it been? Everything under control?" He looks down at Aurora. "He behaving, miss? Treating you right?"

"Rio!" Aurora says in affirmation.

Alfonzo chuckles. "Yes, it's been going fine. Kinda stressful, honestly, being the champion, but that's why I hired Earnest."

"Earnest?" Hop asks.

"The stunt double currently signing autographs for me," Alfonzo informs him. "I was lucky that only this bunch spotted me, and they kept quiet."

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

"What's the fun of being champ if you can't have a little flash?" Ben asked with another quicksilver half-grin.

After that, though, he was content to remain quiet while Alfonzo met with his old friend, absently skritching Belle under the chin while he waited to see what was expected of them.
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2022-08-19 at 09:50 PM.
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

7. - Top - End - #7

"Uhm..." Kei raised his hand. "Hi... sir? Speaking of which... It's kinda hard to say, with everything, but will we be allowed an autograph, too? A proper one?" He wasn't even sure what he would do with an autograph, but he felt like it was the kind of thing what one should ask for when meeting a celebrity.

"Skitty, skitty," Star seemed to agree.

"Right?" Kei continued. "And, also, why did you bring us here?"

8. - Top - End - #8

Alfonzo fishes for a pen in his jacket's pocket, and pulls one out. "Sure-although honestly, Earnest has better handwriting than I do," he says with a chuckle. "And it's not 'sir', it's Alfonzo. I'm just a guy."

"Why did you bring them with, Alfonzo?" Hop asks.

He replies "Look at 'em. Think to about ten years ago-your brother just came home, and he had-"

"He had a Riolu for you, and a Grookey for me! Yeah, man... That was the start of something big," Hop says.

"Exactly!" Alfonzo says. "You already had this guy by your side," he gestures to the Dubwool that's come up to nuzzle at Hop's side, "but Aurora was my first Pokémon. And, well... Don't they kinda remind you of what we were like back then?"

Hop nods. "Yeah... Yeah, I see it. Couple of youngsters-none of you have really started finding your own places in the world. Well... I can relate to that."

It's by now that Sonia comes out. "Hop, what's with all the talking?" she asks, before spotting Alfonzo. "Hey champ!" she calls over.

Spoiler: Images
    Show

Hop

Sonia

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Nick

Nick trying to compose himself to say anything follows along for a moment. Realizing that there would be extended walking, Eevee re-perches itself with a smug smile. Finally unable to keep himself from speaking due to his nature, the young trainer explodes after Kei get his autograph.

"Is it true that the lake pokemon made you the kings of Galar, and the longest day was a space monster from Alola,"

Someone better interrupt him, there are a lot of rumors about the champ.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #10

"Alfonzo," Kei repeats with a bright smile, clearly thrilled about being on a first name basis with the champ. He quickly fetched out whatever he could find that he had on him and could be used to write on and handed it over, Star gracefully leaping onto the ground while he was doing so, and then leaping back into his arms the moment that he was done, the motions so fluid and natural, that it was clear that they had done them countless times already.

11. - Top - End - #11

Alfonzo says "Hold it-I know there's a lot of rumours about what happened. It's not all my story to tell, but I can give you the basics."

"We all know the old chairman Rose made some bad decisions. He was trying to tap into something he really shouldn't've-a primordial Pokémon better left to its own devices. Leon beat it... but it didn't stick. But," Alfonzo says, gesturing to Hop.

"Two other Pokémon from early in Galar's history teamed up with us to take it down! After that, there was two weirdos with the bad hair, who apparently were descended from actual Galarian royalty. But they were just some stuck-up buttheads causing trouble," he says.

Alfonzo finishes, with "They did technically abdicate the throne to me after they were taught the errors of their ways. But, uh... I don't want it. And we don't really have a monarchy anymore. So... I'm just Alfonzo. No honorifics needed."

Quote Originally Posted by Kinro View Post
    "Alfonzo," Kei repeats with a bright smile, clearly thrilled about being on a first name basis with the champ. He quickly fetched out whatever he could find that he had on him and could be used to write on and handed it over, Star gracefully leaping onto the ground while he was doing so, and then leaping back into his arms the moment that he was done, the motions so fluid and natural, that it was clear that they had done them countless times already.
    He scribbles something that's technically writing on a notebook-it's maybe legible?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-08-19 at 09:06 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Ben shifted awkwardly, while Bellerog gave him a slightly concerned look.

Then he smirked as a thought hit him.

"You know, we could probably cripple most of the villainous teams if we shut down all the hair gel factories."

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

13. - Top - End - #13

Kei was glad enough for the messy autograph as it was. It was the act, after all, that mattered more. Or, at least, that's was how he understood it.

14. - Top - End - #14

Hop and Alfonzo look at each other. Then at Sonia.

They all burst out laughing. "Oh my gosh, do you think-" "It might-" "That could-" they all talk over one another, thinking about Ben's words. After a few moments, the laughing subsides, and Alfonzo talks again. "I actually have to talk to Sonia for a bit-hope you guys don't mind too much."

Sonia nods. "Why don't you all come in? Hop can make some tea while me and Alfonzo talk."

You follow the three into the laboratory, where Hop heads to start putting some tea together. Sonia and Alfonzo head upstairs. "So," Hop says, "I know you all have your own Pokémon. Have you thought about trying for the League?"

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Nick

"That's the plan. Going to get my name out there!.." Nick exclaims before trailing off a bit. Eevee shifts a bit on his shoulder. "But Eevee isn't quite ready for battle by itself yet, but I'm sure we'll be ready by the time the season starts."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Kei nodded. "I've thought about it, of course, and me and Star have been doing some training on the side, but it's not that easy, right? You need... a sponsor and things like that. I hear it's rare for anyone to even just assemble a whole team.

17. - Top - End - #17

"You're never gonna get better if you keep waiting for the right time," Hop tells you. "There's never gonna be a moment where you know you're ready-you just gotta go for it!" he says, forgetting the need for sponsorship.

When he's reminded of that, he looks sheepish. "Er, right. Sponsorship. Well, the rules are kinda limited in how many people you can sponsor. Anyone who's been through the league can sponsor two people, and I've been so busy helping out Sonia that I haven't found anyone I want to get in the league yet. But with what he said... Tell you what! Let's step outside, and you guys show me what you got. A little friendly sparring."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Imma roll initiative for everyone in the OOC thread. We don't have to enter combat yet, but we should be doing that shortly.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-08-19 at 10:59 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

"Uhm... Alright. Are you up for it, Star?"

"Ski! Ski!" Star exclaimed excitedly.

Kei nodded. "Alright, just be careful not to get hurt, ok?"

"Skitty!"

Another nod. "We're ready. Though... I don't think we can do much against a league champion."

19. - Top - End - #19

Ben nodded, once, and gave the quiet tongue-click he used to alert Belle that it was time to battle.

The houndour stood, shook herself vigourously once, and let out a long, quavering howl that ended with a mean-looking grin at the other pokemon present.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

20. - Top - End - #20

"Um..." Hop lets out. "I meant you all. I don't doubt your Pokémon have great potential, but you're still inexperienced. Untested. I meant for you guys to face each other-sorry for not being clear!"

He takes the tea off the boil, setting it down, and leads you guys outside. There's a small battle space in the yard, which hop gestures to. "Now, you won't usually be seeing a four-way ruckus, but I say give it a shot. Do your best, all!"

Show
    Eevee is up first.

Following League rules, the trainers should act at the end, not in between Mons.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Having followed his friends, Syrus whispered to his partner Gale. "Gale, can you think about how awesome Aurora is, and how nice it would be if she could give us some advice? Perhaps about a training method for you? I've read that Lucarios can read our minds and I'm curious to find out whether it's true!"

Thinking about the same and wearing a silly smile on his face, Syrus stood to the side absent-mindedly as the others conversed. That is, until he heard something about showing off in front of the champ. Is this for real? Am I dreaming?

Then, turning to Gale, his eyes became firm. "Gale, let's show them our potential, alright? Let's show them your swift pounds and tenacious will. We can do this. I believe in us." With that, Syrus gave Gale a fist-bump. The two exited the room, and nodded in the direction of Key, Ben, Nick, and their partners. Now, let's formulate a strategy…
    Last edited by Opsimos; 2022-08-20 at 10:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Nick

"You ready for this Eevee?" Nick asks, placing his partner pokemon on the ground, who in respond does a warm-up stretch. Eevee still can't battle by itself, but in a group its moves become much better. There's still the matter of what to actually do.

"Eevee, helping hand!"
    Nick points over to Bellerog and Eevee begins to do what can only be described as a "happy dance", jumping around and clapping its little front paws together.

Show

Move goes at +5 priority
    The houndour gains 2 Extra Dice on its next Skill, Accuracy and Damage Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Hop, not the champion, is the one watching. But you see Aurora, who is currently sitting on top of Hop's Dubwool, taking an interest as well.

Spoiler: Insight (Alert) DC 1
    Show
    You also spy Alfonzo in a window above. He's chatting with Sonia, but he's looking down at the field. He's interested!

Bellerog is next.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-08-20 at 11:08 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Ben was feeling awkward- he'd been a late bloomer when it came to Poke-stuff, despite his fascination with it, and being the oldest of the group made him a bit self-conscious. Still, he was going to do his best.

Eevee's antics brought a genuine, albeit brief smile, and he nodded his appreciation to Nick. Then he turned his attention to his partner.

"Alright, Belle. Ember!" he commanded, inclining his head towards Gale. The fighting-type was the greatest threat to Bellerog, and it would be wise to take it out first, if at all possible. Especially after the boost Eevee had given.

Spoiler: Please Ignore this, I screwed up
    Show
    (7d6)[21](7d6)[29]
    Last edited by TeChameleon; 2022-08-20 at 06:13 PM.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Seeing the glow of Houndour's fiery embers manifest, Syrus' facial expression hardened. Nonetheless, a plan took form in his mind while he yelled in a bright clear voice,

"Gale, dodge to the front-right!" This way, Gale can evade even a cone-shaped flame… You can do this, Gale!

26. - Top - End - #26

Gale's grit and determination are there. The Mienfoo has every intent to dodge the flame... But fails to do so. Unused to the quick reactions needed in combat, and with Belle being helped by Eevee, Gale takes a nasty blow.

Show
    Ben then Star are up next.

4 damage on Gale.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

The combination of Gale and Eevee is a surprisingly effective one. Nothing that could be used in a one-on-one, of course, but still something one that is would be advantageous to break up. "Star, target Bellerog first!"

Star, who had been pretending to wash herself and not care about combat, suddenly lept into action, rushing at Bellerog and leaping into the air to swing her large tail at him
    Last edited by Kinro; 2022-08-20 at 10:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ben heard Kei's shout, and gave the quick three-tone whistle pattern he used to warn Bellerog to dodge to the left.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Great effort, Gale! You almost dodged it!"

Syrus' mind worked at full speed to find the best strategy for Gale and him.

This looks really bad. I underestimated the power of their combination attack. Now, if Gale attacks Belle, Star might take her out and Gale may not be able to defeat Star in time, even with a Helping Hand. Attacking the cute Star seems more promising.

"Gale, I believe in you. Show them what you've got! Attack Star with your One-Inch Pound!"

Shrugging off the burning pain, Gale attempted to close in on Star to strike her. But jumping through a stream of fire took its toll on the amount of strength Gale could force into his legs. He failed to match the feline's agile moves. Seeing this, Syrus' seemingly mutated into a cheerleader, jumping up and down and shouting loudly in an attempt to encourage Gale.

Don't worry, Gale, the fight is not over yet. You can do this! Stay strong, Gale!"

Show
    Move: Pound
    Accuracy: (3d6)[4][2][2](8)
    Damage: (4d6)[4][3][6][2](15)

30. - Top - End - #30

Thankfully, for Star, at least, despite Syrus's calculations, Gale missed Star without any effort needed from her. She tried to retaliate in kind, but her attack on Belle and the unexpected attack from the mienfoo had pushed her too far off balance. She was just about able, however, to regain her balance and ready herself for the next wave of attacks. Where would it come from? The weakened Belle? The still ready Gale? And where would Nick place Eevee's attention next? Despite not actually attacking, the small pokemon was making itself a crucial part of this match.