A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are you Playing 7: Deadly Sims

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Oh the art is beautiful, yes.

Since I've never played a Dark Eye game as tabletop, is the "crapsack, ungrateful world" attitude just as prevalent there as well? Because after saving the day in Chains, Geron gets crapped on a LOT by NPCs...
    I think I played the CRPG Drakensang(?) back in the day, which had more of a generic fantasy air. This adventure series is as crapsack as it can be though, yeah.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I realize that when I play "Minecraft", I am really playing "Housing and Urban Development, with Legos."

I find a village. I set up shop (sometimes making my own, sometimes stealing from a local), and the proceed to improve the town. Build stairs everywhere. Make work tables and set them up, then start boosting local businesses by levelling up the craftsmen. This requires raw materials, so I delve deep underground. Then, eventually, I either
    1) Get bored, because the town is good
    or
    2) Die horribly while exploring (to a fall, since I'm on peaceful)

Sometimes, I make new houses.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I've never played a Dark Eye game as tabletop, is the "crapsack, ungrateful world" attitude just as prevalent there as well? Because after saving the day in Chains, Geron gets crapped on a LOT by NPCs...
    Aventurien, the world of DSA (Dark Eye), is a lot of things but "crapsack, ungrateful world" are not prevalent themes as far as I can tell. You can definitely tell dark stories in this world. But it is not a dominating theme in the tabletop publications.

For the "ungrateful" part you could make an argument that this is connected to the wider DSA culture as there is a negative stereotype regarding DSA GMs (and published adventures advising them to) that they tend to keep the player characters small instead of letting them be the Big Damn Heroes.
    I'm not convinced that the fate of Geron in Chains is a reflection of that, because a) I think it is a slightly different issue and b) there is a much simpler explanation for why Chains is the way it is.

The DSA video games are pretty divers in tone. Consider the old Nordland-Trilogie (Realms of Arkania) on the one hand, the Drakensang games on another, Blacksguards on yet another and the two Daedalic adventure on yet another hand. All of them complete different form each other in tone. So the individual game developers preferences play a big role.

And that is in my view the actual reason: Chains and Memoria are as dark as they are because that was the kind of game Daedalic were making at that time.

Although in comparison I found Memoria to be much tamer then Chains which in turn was downright depressing. By the end of Chains I was in tears.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I realize that when I play "Minecraft", I am really playing "Housing and Urban Development, with Legos."
    I alternate between this, and setting up the dwarfiest underground compounds I can think up that are completely self sufficient without having to go topside (post initial seed and sapling gathering). Works best when I can play with others and trade for things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I've got Blackguards on my Steam log, but I'm not ready to play it yet. Loved how snarky Iratus was and I really wish Daedalic would do a follow-up to Night of the Rabbit (as they teased at the end of that particular game).

But yeah, for Geron and Nuri's storyline, it's pretty damn bitter. Mind you (and I don't know if it's the fault of the writing or the voice actors) I never really got the sense of "love" between the two even before
    Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    the forgetfulness permanently strikes Nuri

But if Daedalic ever follows up what Sadja does now in the aftermath of Memoria, I'd be curious to see...

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

But yeah, for Geron and Nuri's storyline, it's pretty damn bitter. Mind you (and I don't know if it's the fault of the writing or the voice actors) I never really got the sense of "love" between the two even before
    I take you didn't play it in german, then?
    For me the subtext was pretty clear. But sure, the game can be subtle at times, and subtlety is easy to become lost in translation.

7. - Top - End - #937

SamuraiGirl

English here. My knowledge of other languages is woefully inadequate (outside of food).

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Blackguards is more than a bit rough round the edges, but it's a pretty solid tactics game. DSA is crunchy as all getout, and the conversion here is pretty faithful, which gives a substantial amount of depth to things. You can also see Daedalic's adventure game background shining through, as the environment is unusually interactive for an RPG, particularly of this period.

It's also a bit odd feeling from an American perspective, mostly due to the very different emphasis on magic. DSA mages are noy great at damage dealing, have to focus on a couple spells to advance, and are much more multiple attribute dependent than anything you see come out of D&D style games. This doesn't make a spellcaster useless or underpowered, but they cannot dominate the game.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Firbolg in the Playground

English here. My knowledge of other languages is woefully inadequate (outside of food).
    It's a funny experience trying to read German as someone who also doesn't speak German, because I can usually get most of the way through a paragraph with solid comprehension before suddenly coming across a word that isn't immediately apparent from context or being similar to English.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of languages: I've just started A Plague Tale: Innocence. A french game set in 14th century France.
    If I could I would play it in french. But I can't. I struggle with pronouncing the names of the wines I have in my cellar, playing a game in french is pretty much out of the question.

I'm left to choose between english and german and I chose german because why not. So far lines and voice acting are adequate but could be better.

Any experience with the english localization?

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    It's also a bit odd feeling from an American perspective, mostly due to the very different emphasis on magic. DSA mages are noy great at damage dealing, have to focus on a couple spells to advance, and are much more multiple attribute dependent than anything you see come out of D&D style games. This doesn't make a spellcaster useless or underpowered, but they cannot dominate the game.
    True, if the spellcaster in question is a player character. NPCs on the other hand... *cough*Archon Megalon*cough*Kobolde in general*cough*Borbarad*cough*
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2023-01-24 at 04:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #941

The English cast and performances are quite good, retaining the French accents and being overall solid to listen to.

Then for some reason in the sequel everyone swaps to having a British accent even though the actors are the same. Utterly baffling.

TBF the latter is the actors' natural accent, so maybe it's to produce a better performance? But I thought they were fine in the first game and the switch is jarring.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2023-01-24 at 05:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #942

SamuraiGirl

I didn't have trouble with the voice actors in the first Plague Tale, though, some of the word choices the writers/translators used for the English script were a bit anachronistically jarring at times.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I alternate between this, and setting up the dwarfiest underground compounds I can think up that are completely self sufficient without having to go topside (post initial seed and sapling gathering). Works best when I can play with others and trade for things.
    I'm 100% off-line. Personally, I'd love to see an expansion of villagers... ones who live in underground, for example.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

I made a dialogue choice I regretted in P3P, rebooted the game, and realised I'd have to grind two of Elizabeth's requests again (a 'defeat strong enemies one' and a 'actually catch a golden shadow' one). Which were annoying enough the first time round, so I'm giving the game a break before I decide if I want to bother doing them again.

But I was still craving Persona, so I caved, checked my bank balance, and actually bought Persona 5 Royal. I'm not sure what to make of it so far, the dungeon exploration is a lot better but I've not got to any of the social link stuff (due to still being on the first Palace), and that's really going to be what places this game on the Persona tier list.the opening and tutorial just drags on and on, ending up something like two hours longer than P4's, and without the option to skip the combat tutorials like you can in P3. What's worse is that at the very beginning you get briefly introduced to the dungeon mechanics, but don't get to fully play around with them for about five or six hours (leading to moments of having to try and stealth before having the ability to hide).

As I've said there's good stuff. Dungeon traversal feels a lot more interactive and dynamic, almost certainly helped by the fact we're not using randomly constructed floors anymore, the return of a more oppressive P3 style atmosphere, the 'ripping off a mask' thing is cool and evocative, and I really appreciate the convince features and starting with a load of costumes (now if the only applied to curscenes I'd definitely but Joker in swim trunks). Oh, and I like the nice touch of Joker's Velvet Room cell having padded walls. On the other hand the game takes a little bit too long to take it's hands off the reigns, including not letting you do stat raising activities for an entire week. Plus I'm fairly certain I'll be disappointed when there's not a single gay romance link again. Not that I dislike the canonical love interest, it's nice that she's been introduced early this time, but more husbandos please!
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing about P5 is that procedurally generated dungeons are not gone, they're just used for the side dungeon, Mementos. Which takes the worst part of Tartarus and makes it harder to see anything. Blessedly the floors are smaller, at least. But it's important since main dungeons can't be returned to once you beat the boss. And if you want the good ending you're gonna have to go through every floor of Mementos eventually.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Not that I dislike the canonical love interest, it's nice that she's been introduced early this time, but more husbandos please!
    Now I'm curious which character you're reading this way; I didn't see any of them as particularly canonical or even particularly strongly implied by the game.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SerTabris View Post
    Now I'm curious which character you're reading this way; I didn't see any of them as particularly canonical or even particularly strongly implied by the game.
    Thirty quatloos on the new girl for royal, the redhead with a rapier.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I don't know about canonical, but the correct choice is introduced pretty early, even if it takes her a little while
    Spoiler
    Show
    to get off her good-girl high horse and onto her motorcycle

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

But I was still craving Persona, so I caved, checked my bank balance, and actually bought Persona 5 Royal. I'm not sure what to make of it so far, the dungeon exploration is a lot better but I've not got to any of the social link stuff (due to still being on the first Palace), and that's really going to be what places this game on the Persona tier list.
    In fairness, the dungeons in the other games were randomly generated. Pre-designed dungeons are going to be better to explore than corridors and box shaped rooms pretty much every single time. You'll start to get Confidants pretty quickly, and soon, however.

the opening and tutorial just drags on and on, ending up something like two hours longer than P4's, and without the option to skip the combat tutorials like you can in P3. What's worse is that at the very beginning you get briefly introduced to the dungeon mechanics, but don't get to fully play around with them for about five or six hours (leading to moments of having to try and stealth before having the ability to hide).
    Also in fairness, Persona 5 is at least twice the length of Persona 3 and 4, and Royal adds at least tenish more hours on top of that. Persona 5's got a lot of systems in place, a lot more than its predecessors. The opening dungeon wasn't really a tutorial for the dungeon mechanics, but just how to move through dungeons and the game environment as a whole. Also fits the vibes and themes.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    One thing about P5 is that procedurally generated dungeons are not gone, they're just used for the side dungeon, Mementos. Which takes the worst part of Tartarus and makes it harder to see anything. Blessedly the floors are smaller, at least. But it's important since main dungeons can't be returned to once you beat the boss. And if you want the good ending you're gonna have to go through every floor of Mementos eventually.
    Not just the good ending. The ending period. If you don't, it puts you back so you have to redo it. You have to beat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Demiurge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I don't know about canonical, but the correct choice is introduced pretty early, even if it takes her a little while
    Spoiler
    Show
    to get off her good-girl high horse and onto her motorcycle
    Spoiler: True Love Interest
    Show
    While there is no canon one by word of Atlus, it's pretty obvious that Makoto is as close to one as there is. The anime and side material around the game also pertty much put this forward.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

1) great, so the random dungeon floors have returned. I guess I'll be able to suffer through it, but after how well constructed this first Palace has been that's annoying.
    2) I'm presuming that like Yukari and Rise, Ann being the Lovers social link is the 'more canon' love interest.

I really should look up the romance options and pick my waifu for this run.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

21. - Top - End - #951

Flumph

1) great, so the random dungeon floors have returned. I guess I'll be able to suffer through it, but after how well constructed this first Palace has been that's annoying.
    2) I'm presuming that like Yukari and Rise, Ann being the Lovers social link is the 'more canon' love interest.

I really should look up the romance options and pick my waifu for this run.
    If you go by arcana symbolism the Lovers actually wouldn't be the canon love interest it would be the High Priestess. It's one of those "none of the arcana are what they obviously represent" things.

That said the social links themselves aren't all that romantically coded so it never feels like there's a "canon" one. (And Strikers does not imply one).

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

TBH, ever since FES/P3P added her social link, Aigis is probably the 'more canon' p3 love interest, if it's anyone.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryOgre View Post
    Same honestly. :D

I just managed to get a zombie villager cured and made him a librarian, selling dirt cheap mending books. He also buys squid ink at 1e each, which is too easy to come by. Pretty much set on the money side (and making quick exp).

My only troubles with urban development is that these darn villagers is that despite me placing their jobs outside their houses, they keep moving around and steal each other's beds. Ah well, what ev.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Sparks, kobold wizard

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    If you go by arcana symbolism the Lovers actually wouldn't be the canon love interest it would be the High Priestess. It's one of those "none of the arcana are what they obviously represent" things.

That said the social links themselves aren't all that romantically coded so it never feels like there's a "canon" one. (And Strikers does not imply one).
    As I said, I'm mostly going by trends. In vanilla P3 there's pretty major signs Yukari was the originally intended love interest, apparently the reason she's not is the addition of social links where it seems like the Protagonist can't be friends with any women over 15.

Honestly I suspect the Harem Route is actually 'most canon', but as a poly the way Persona handles dating multiple people really pisses me off. It would be more than reasonable for Joker to have everything above board and have at least some of the ROs agree to open relationships, I can even see Joker/Ryuki/Ann as a triad. But no, I've looked it up and apparently it's a route where Joker is a scumbag and gets bailed out by somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    TBH, ever since FES/P3P added her social link, Aigis is probably the 'more canon' p3 love interest, if it's anyone.
    I really need to get a playthrough of P3P past November.

Show

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

So Forspoken got mixed enough reviews to be intriguing, and I felt like some magic to mix things up.

First up, we gotta talk writing, mostly because the game starts you off with a big slab of it. Seriously, the game fires off with like 20 minutes of basically walking between cutscenes. I should hate this.

I liked it a lot. There's a fair amount of clunk, but it does a decent job of establishing Frey, the protagonist, as someone who does not trust people, is extremely prickly and defensive, but desperately wants to be accepted. There's one scene where, finally alone, Frey just emotionally falls apart, that I found extremely affecting. Characters in videogames don't do that, they snarl something empty and generic and badass. And this was so raw and genuine to the character and was such a blindside it really nailed me. It also did a huge amount to justify and contextualize why Frey is so unpleasant and sarcastic. She's not supposed to be a witty jerk Aala Tony Stark*, she's a sarcastic pain in the ass to keep people at bay. This makes her somewhst antagonistic relationship with Cuff, the magical, um, cuff, make a lot of sense. She both desires and fears people, and she's got one more or less telepathically stitched into her brain. This is terrifying.

I'd read a lot of complaints about how she is "unlikeable." Well, yes, that's kind of the point, and thank heavens for it. I find her interesting, which is 100 better than likable. A character based around likability tops out at "I wish this cool fake person was my friend" which is both very limiting narratively and the source of buckets of awful self insert fan fiction, but an interesting character makes me think.

But once you finish strolling between cutscenes, there's the combat. You shoot spells at stuff. This looks good and is fun. It's pretty simple, at least so far, but as a wizard power fantasy it's quite solid. It seems pretty easy, even on hard, and I'm good with that.

*(actually just a jerk)
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

26. - Top - End - #956

SamuraiGirl

Yeah, I'm wondering how many of the mixed reviews are legit concerns versus trolls going "eww, woman of color is the main character!"

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Canon love interest in P4G is obviously Marie.

Spoiler
    Show
    As a goddess she's the one who can screw you over the most if you offend her.

28. - Top - End - #958

Yeah, I'm wondering how many of the mixed reviews are legit concerns versus trolls going "eww, woman of color is the main character!"
    Most of the reviews hit the barebones combat and cringe dialogue; the latter of which was a focus from the time the last trailer came out, with its "Wow, so THAT'S a thing I do now!" speech.

I don't think anyone gives a **** that she's a PoC, it's not like she'd be the first or anything.

As far as I can tell this is a rare case of critical reviews and user reviews being pretty much in line with each other, which is pretty shocking. Around a 6.5 to 7 review score on average from all sides. It's okay but not great.

29. - Top - End - #959

Regarding Forspoken the issue is probably also the price. It's... rather steep, especially for a game that doesn't appear to be all that great.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    There's like.. two of them where the girl confesses to you, in most of the other ones Joker kind of randomly goes 'hey you wanna be my girlfriend?' and the recipient just responds with 'uh? um. Ok I guess, if you're sure that's what you want.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Major exceptions with Haru, who is one of the ones who directly confesses/asks Joker to date her .. and who I legitimately felt bad for turning down because her reaction is "oh. I thought.. no, it's ok. I'm.. gonna go cry privately for a while now."
    With Ann, because the romance option there isn't really obvious that you're selecting to romance her - the dialogue option that does it is just another one of the 'don't worry, I'll support' you choices that the game has been leading you to select to get more confidant points in every other discussion.
    And Makoto, who you spent the last three or four confidant advancement steps performing Be My Pretend Boyfriend Hijinks with, and the romance split is basically "hey, acting like your boyfriend felt really good, do you want to do that for real?" - it's the most 'natural' lead into romancing her out of all the confidants, which I think is a big part of what makes her feel like the intended choice.