New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What Are you Playing 7: Deadly Sims

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Return to Monkey Island is a disappointment.
    If you haven't played any of Wadjet eye's games, I highly recommend them for anyone who enjoys point & click adventures. Primordia is probably my favorite with post apocalyptic robots and a lot of computer/nerd humor, but the Blackwell series is also really good, particularly if you like Noir style stories and Resonance is an interesting techno thriller. Really need to get back to finishing Gemini Rue...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    If you haven't played any of Wadjet eye's games, I highly recommend them for anyone who enjoys point & click adventures. Primordia is probably my favorite with post apocalyptic robots and a lot of computer/nerd humor, but the Blackwell series is also really good, particularly if you like Noir style stories and Resonance is an interesting techno thriller. Really need to get back to finishing Gemini Rue...
    I have played at least a dozen Wadjet games, actually, and not enough people talk about them. I might need to get a few more of them. Agreed Primordia is probably the best. I also like Unavowed, which you haven't mentioned.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-09-29 at 08:36 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Arguably its Siege of Dragonspear that takes place right in the sweet spot of character power, unfortunately its story is rather weak and unmemorable.
    It was a nice idea to have an obviously good antagonist, but they did somewhat undermine it by making her second in command slightly more obviously evil than **** Dastardly. And about as effective a threat.

(Plus it had that mid period modern dialogue "nice, nasty, snarky" three choices in every dialog)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

I have played at least a dozen Wadjet games, actually, and not enough people talk about them. I might need to get a few more of them. Agreed Primordia is probably the best. I also like Unavowed, which you haven't mentioned.
    Didn't realize that was even a thing. Will have to look into it (probably should just see which games of theirs I don't have and add them to my wishlist). Even their Puzzlebot game, while simple and short, felt really well put together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

arrrrrgggghhhh.

My game, when hanging out on my wife's laptop (while she knits or draws), has been Shadowrun Returns. Played it several times, and I've got a favorite character: Troll Rigger/Decker with just enough Physad to cover some gaps (since you're carrying two drones and a deck, your only real option is unarmed... so, with Killing Hands, Magic Protection, and Stride, you're doing pretty well).

However, just as I'm about to go to the mental hospital? Hangs on the loading screen. Several times, now.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Have you tried turning it off and on again verifying your game files?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    arrrrrgggghhhh.

My game, when hanging out on my wife's laptop (while she knits or draws), has been Shadowrun Returns. Played it several times, and I've got a favorite character: Troll Rigger/Decker with just enough Physad to cover some gaps (since you're carrying two drones and a deck, your only real option is unarmed... so, with Killing Hands, Magic Protection, and Stride, you're doing pretty well).

However, just as I'm about to go to the mental hospital? Hangs on the loading screen. Several times, now.
    Probably not a bad jack of all trades, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up the ability to equip top tier drones or the Xcalibur. I could see doing something similar with an ork though.

Not sure I could do another run of Returns though, Dragonfall is so much better. Which I returned to today to continue my human rigger/decker run (with emphasis on the rigger side, as so far I've come across relatively few matrix portions). I've decided not to do the Lodge missions this run, so the end might be a bit more difficult.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #278

Dragonfall kind of bounced me when a side mission railroaded me into a fight against enemies that can one-round me and also either took out one of my teammates or made them berserk. That may have been interesting if I were further in but...

"my last save outside this was WHEN?"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Didn't realize that was even a thing. Will have to look into it (probably should just see which games of theirs I don't have and add them to my wishlist). Even their Puzzlebot game, while simple and short, felt really well put together.
    Unavowed is apparently also set in the Blackwell universe? If so, the connection is quite lose. It's an Urban fantasy investigation game with a pretty cool party mechanic. You have four party members, who all different magical powers, but you can only bring two of them on each case. But each case can be solved with any of them, just differently.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-09-29 at 12:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Unavowed is apparently also set in the Blackwell universe? If so, the connection is quite lose. It's an Urban fantasy investigation game with a pretty cool party mechanic. You have four party members, who all different magical powers, but you can only bring two of them on each case. But each case can be solved with any of them, just differently.
    Well, this post just cost me 14.99 €. (Okay, so I did also take the time to watch one trailer and read like two reviews before buying it, which is a testament to my self control, I think).

Despite loving adventure games, I had somehow completely missed Wadjet Eye Games, so I foresee this thread costing me more money in the future.

11. - Top - End - #281

There's only like two companies left out there who make old-style point and click adventures. If you like them, you need to know about Wadjet.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Dragonfall kind of bounced me when a side mission railroaded me into a fight against enemies that can one-round me and also either took out one of my teammates or made them berserk. That may have been interesting if I were further in but...

"my last save outside this was WHEN?"
    Don't worry, the original version of Returns had no manual save functionality at all (not that the game strictly needs it, but sometimes you want to save halfway through a map). At some point they added the ability to roll back to a previous autosave, but I'm not sure when (it's in Hong Kong, but I've used like like once).

Dragonfall and Hong Kong suffer slighty from being more open. In both cases relatively difficult missions unlock early on, but the game doesn't give fair warning. In DMS you pretty much only have one option for your next run at any point, I've found one optional run, maybe two if you can skip Coyote's loyalty mission, so there isn't really the same issue (but DMS has the issue of needing to hire mercenaries). I can think of another mission that annoys me (Eiger's loyalty mission), but that's further into the game.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

There's only like two companies left out there who make old-style point and click adventures. If you like them, you need to know about Wadjet.
    What's the other company you're thinking of?

The only other name that I can think of is Daedalic - but they have stopped releasing adventure games *ckeck wikipedia* 7 years ago

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    What's the other company you're thinking of?

The only other name that I can think of is Daedalic - but they have stopped releasing adventure games *ckeck wikipedia* 7 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking of Daedalic.

They still seem to be publishing games in German? But very few and none I've heard of. Not a good sign. Geez. Seven years.

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Don't worry, the original version of Returns had no manual save functionality at all (not that the game strictly needs it, but sometimes you want to save halfway through a map). At some point they added the ability to roll back to a previous autosave, but I'm not sure when (it's in Hong Kong, but I've used like like once).

Dragonfall and Hong Kong suffer slighty from being more open. In both cases relatively difficult missions unlock early on, but the game doesn't give fair warning. In DMS you pretty much only have one option for your next run at any point, I've found one optional run, maybe two if you can skip Coyote's loyalty mission, so there isn't really the same issue (but DMS has the issue of needing to hire mercenaries). I can think of another mission that annoys me (Eiger's loyalty mission), but that's further into the game.
    It didn't help that this mission was sold as a milk-run and tryout, just seeing if baby's first crew can do the objective. Then if you're right off the first story run you get smashed
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Well, this post just cost me 14.99 €. (Okay, so I did also take the time to watch one trailer and read like two reviews before buying it, which is a testament to my self control, I think).

Despite loving adventure games, I had somehow completely missed Wadjet Eye Games, so I foresee this thread costing me more money in the future.
    Oh yeah, you're going to be in for a fun time. Besides their in-house developed titles (Unavowed, Blackwell, The Shivah, etc.) they also publish a number of other even more indie developed adventure games, which are also generally good (Technobabylon and Gemini Rue probably would be my two top picks, but pretty much everything is at least decent).
    Most of their catalogue is on sale on GOG at the moment, so if you want to snag any of them this would probably be as good a time as any.

17. - Top - End - #287

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    arrrrrgggghhhh.

Since it was cloudsaved with GOG, I played it on my PC; hopefully, that bypassed the problem going forward.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    It didn't help that this mission was sold as a milk-run and tryout, just seeing if baby's first crew can do the objective. Then if you're right off the first story run you get smashed
    Ah, the first Lodge mission I believe. Yeah, that's not a great run, it unlocks early but when things get tough you're going to be down a character.

On the other hand I think it has what's probably my favourite dialogue option of the game ('Yes, but that's not important right now').

Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I was thinking of Daedalic.

They still seem to be publishing games in German? But very few and none I've heard of. Not a good sign. Geez. Seven years.
    According to Wikipedia, their last release that they developed themselves was State of Mind in 2018, so not 7 years yet. And they seem to be publishing games from other developers regularly.
    Of course I am still very cross with Daedalic for the terrible ending of Goodbye Deponia, so I haven't really kept up on what they are doing.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

20. - Top - End - #290

I remember being fine with Goodbye Deponia. I just never wanted to play Deponia 4.

Also, Gemini Rue is just 2.50 on gog right now. I haven't played that yet, need to get it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I still need to play Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom. Its in my Gog library but not installed yet and I played through Wing Commander 3: Heart of The Tiger not that long ago.

It was great, other than the two mission's with those "skipper" missiles.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    I still need to play Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom. Its in my Gog library but not installed yet and I played through Wing Commander 3: Heart of The Tiger not that long ago.

It was great, other than the two mission's with those "skipper" missiles.
    That mission was so hard even the novelization fails it.

23. - Top - End - #293

Flumph

Like the infamous Redemption mission in X-Wing that got turned into an unwinnable Kobayashi Maru training scenario in the Rogue Squadron books.

24. - Top - End - #294

I kind of want to play Privateer again. My computer crashed, so I lost the playthrough I was doing, but once you get an Orion with max engines and shields, you can literally fly through most ships without significant damage.

The Orion is simply an awesome ship. Just ****ing TANK. I'd love to be able to hire a tail gunner to work the turret in the back.
    The Cranky Gamer

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

I remember being fine with Goodbye Deponia. I just never wanted to play Deponia 4.

Also, Gemini Rue is just 2.50 on gog right now. I haven't played that yet, need to get it.
    Couldn't really get into Deponia despite loving the genre and anything else that they produced. Something about the humor didn't click with me, I guess.

Also love the Wadjet Eye discography in general, but their final title seems to be horror themed, which is a pass for me unfortunately.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Also love the Wadjet Eye discography in general, but their final title seems to be horror themed, which is a pass for me unfortunately.
    Their last two, from the look of it, although The Excavation of Hob's Barrow has only just come out and I haven't had a chance to get hold of it yet, so I can't confirm that (Strangeland definitely is though). I'll probably pick it up once the next paycheck goes through.

Old Skies looks like it should be more their usual tone, from what I've seen, although obviously we won't know for sure until it's done.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Having finished torching Louisville in Project Zomboid, I am now introducing a friend to Valheim! It’s a great time so far

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Their last two, from the look of it, although The Excavation of Hob's Barrow has only just come out and I haven't had a chance to get hold of it yet, so I can't confirm that (Strangeland definitely is though). I'll probably pick it up once the next paycheck goes through.
    Their last two then, true.

I mean, I couldn't really fault them either, since they seem to be trying out every genre out there one by one.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Finished up "Chicken Police" and enjoyed it for the most part. Gave up on "The Trials" as it aggravates my motion sickness something fierce. And, unlike "Talos Principle" (which is still on hold for me), there's no option to change the POV.

Dabbled on "Pavilion" (another point & click puzzler). Gorgeous art & music, but it's not grabbing me yet. So now I'm trying "Iron Danger". It has a "turn back time" mechanic that I'm still not getting the hang of yet.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    Show
    Urgh, the Apex mission. So I decided to try freeing it, and was about two turns away from completion when the drones managed to destroy the console. I'll give it another go tonight, it's much easier with a PC Decker than with Blitz (even if my ESP control is subpar).

I'd switch to killing the blighter, but I've already done that once and in the scheme of things APEX is small fry. Oh, they'd be a big deal in the wireless Matrix, but the 2050s and 2060s are the decades of much more powerful AI than it. Maybe I'll do a third run where I kill it again next year.

Show