New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: OOTS #1266 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Given that the number of people who admit to being willing to pull a lever in the Trolley Problem to kill people is much higher than the number of people who admit to being willing to do so when their participation is phrased as being more direct, I would say that it does make an emotional difference to many people.
    The difference is that in the trolley problem you pull a lever and people die elsewhere. In most depictions you are far away enough that you can't even properly see their faces. With execution instruments, you pull a lever and someone dies right here and now. You can see the white in their eyes.

I don't think the lever is enough to distance yourself. Distance is enough to distance yourself.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Danton quite famously requested for his head to be displayed ("Show my head to the crowd, it is worth at least that"), which he wouldn't have if that were the usual procedure.
    Jeez that's a badass line.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Pulling a lever is very different to hacking someone’s head of personally.
    Not when the lever hacks the head off. That's direct causation. No different than firing a gun (quite literally, in this case).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #453
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Not when the lever hacks the head off. That's direct causation. No different than firing a gun (quite literally, in this case).
    I don't think they met different re: culpability, but rather different re: harder to make yourself do. The easier and less messy it is to do the crime, the easier it is to ignore the sense of guilt/shame/disgust.

I would agree with that. I think there must be a difference in what you could do if all you had to do was pull a lever versus something more up close and personal and in your face.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Danton quite literally made a career out of these, his last words couldn't be anything but.

Say what you want about the man, but he was endlessly quotable, if nothing else.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    Kreaturen des Lichts
    In ein Gefängnis geboren.
    Jede Spur führt in's Nichts
    Und ist verloren schon bald.
    I just noticed this. Relying on ages old, and fading, German that I learned as a kid ...

Creatures of the Light, in a prison born, the trail goes nowhere and is soon lost
    How close did I get?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I just noticed this. Relying on ages old, and fading, German that I learned as a kid ...

Creatures of the Light, in a prison born, the trail goes nowhere and is soon lost
    How close did I get?
    Huh, nearly correct. It's "born into a prison".

It's part of a song by my favourite band. I'll send you a link; it's not exactly on topic for the thread, y'know.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Yes. It was easy. It was tiring, but you didn't need any experience at it, just being able to pull a rope. So you could have a bunch of executioners in the same day.
    It's the same reason crossbow became popular even when bows were faster and cheaper. You can learn to use a crossbow in a few days, but a bow takes years.
    Hey, pulling is way harder than pushing. Pulling has all those tricky parts where you hold something AND move it! At the same time!
    This is a quote, so I don't feel bound by my promise to respect Xykon's speech restriction.
    Last edited by Coppercloud; 2022-09-14 at 01:39 PM.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

8. - Top - End - #458

11 is still an odd number by my count.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Dwarf in the Playground

11 is still an odd number by my count.
    If you were replying to me, I use Xykon's actual speech rule, not the one that the Quinton outlined at first. Therefore, odd numbers are actually what I'm after
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

10. - Top - End - #460

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    If you were replying to me, I use Xykon's actual speech rule, not the one that the Quinton outlined at first. Therefore, odd numbers are actually what I'm after
    I was indeed. And does the last word of your post end in 11 characters? Which, according to my count, is still odd, and makes you good?

11. - Top - End - #461
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

I was indeed. And does the last word of your post end in 11 characters? Which, according to my count, is still odd, and makes you good?
    The rule is about sentences, not speech-bubbles or posts.
    The quote from the CitD had many parts ending on even letters. Only the non-quote part which explained the problem was following the rule of ending in odd letters.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

12. - Top - End - #462
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Yes. It was easy. It was tiring, but you didn't need any experience at it, just being able to pull a rope. So you could have a bunch of executioners in the same day.
    Hey, pulling is way harder than pushing. Pulling has all those tricky parts where you hold something AND move it! At the same time!
    It's easier to push a rope than to pull it, because less of it moves.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    The rule is about sentences, not speech-bubbles or posts.
    The quote from the CitD had many parts ending on even letters. Only the non-quote part which explained the problem was following the rule of ending in odd letters.
    So that is where the confusion comes from (presumably, I'm still waiting for Peelee to confirm). I slept on it, but I was still at a loss as to what Peelee meant when I woke up in the morning. I was afraid to either say something stupid or hijack the thread and make it all about my speech rules. Discussions about means of execution were much more interesting.

14. - Top - End - #464

So that is where the confusion comes from (presumably, I'm still waiting for Peelee to confirm). I slept on it, but I was still at a loss as to what Peelee meant when I woke up in the morning. I was afraid to either say something stupid or hijack the thread and make it all about my speech rules. Discussions about means of execution were much more interesting.
    Correct, I was not thinking and only talking about the last word in the post.