New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: How do paladins become paladins in OOTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    I'm calling it weird.
    As a rule, all recent wounds are cancelled, but old one aren't.
    Could have something to do with how you view yourself at the moment of dead. We know it's the case in the afterife.
    I think you and comic 498 explain it nicely. Everyone has their image of themselves. People who have had an injury a long time have incorporated it into their image. People who got a serious injury in the course of dying haven't done that yet. It's basically the same principle that shows why Roy's grandfather has the sword and not Roy.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Being called to something doesn't mean "only special people get in". A calling is something you want to do, and will devote yourself to. It means being a paladin is a way of life, something fundamental to your worldview, not just a job, like being a rogue or fighter or ranger might be.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    I think you and comic 498 explain it nicely. Everyone has their image of themselves. People who have had an injury a long time have incorporated it into their image. People who got a serious injury in the course of dying haven't done that yet. It's basically the same principle that shows why Roy's grandfather has the sword and not Roy.
    I really liked the term they used in The Matrix, "residual self-image".
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Given that former villains have become paladins in various D&D fluff sources, the "has committed no Evil acts" thing is not a requirement. Paladins are not created from "beings of pure Law and Good" - they're created from ordinary, somewhat Lawful and Good, people who happen to feel a calling to the paladin lifestyle.
    And "attribute requirements" went the way of the dodo when 3.0ed came out. O-Chul spelled out that he used Charisma as a dump stat.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Rather, you need to have human blood. Half-elves and half-orcs could qualify.
    Ah, I couldn't remember which it was. And I even tried remembering Therkla's position, but I couldn't remember if her loyalty to Kubota was because she wasn't a citizen of Azure City or because of the more general racism she experienced there.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Well. And Roy didn't wander around the afterlife with a mass of broken bones, crushed ribcage, and other physical issues representative of the sudden stop at the end of the fall that killed him.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
    Well. And Roy didn't wander around the afterlife with a mass of broken bones, crushed ribcage, and other physical issues representative of the sudden stop at the end of the fall that killed him.
    Self image is the key. If one dies in a horrible meat grinder incident, one does not wander the afterlife as sausage.

Roy's mom had grey hair and a bun when she died, but was a nineteen year old hottie when Roy interrupted her visit with the gentleman who had an accent.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Self image is the key. If one dies in a horrible meat grinder incident, one does not wander the afterlife as sausage.
    But what if they've always seen themselves as a sausage?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Then I would imagine they would find the afterlife quite pleasant.

Also, apropos of nothing, but this system happens to be incredibly nice for the trans community.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The breakfast foods world was #3,429,843. It was destroyed by the invasion of brunch foods and their over-reliance on exotic ingredients. In particular, the Vanilla Beanfield Wars resulted in multiple rifts. The last enclave of Eggs and Bacon was defeated when Toast betrayed them to the Quiche Consortium. Lesson: never trust Toast with an accent.

11. - Top - End - #131

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Rather, you need to have human blood. Half-elves and half-orcs could qualify.
    Hang on, really? Where was this established? I've had a re-read of GDGU and Rich's Patreon Q&A posts but neither makes any mention of it.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Colossus in the Playground

Back page of War & XPs: (travel guide entry on Azure City):

While simply called Azure City, this nation controls a vast tract of land beyond the city walls, including farms, forts and mines in the nearby mountains.
    Population: 530,000 (90% human, 5% half-orc, 5% half elf. Approximately half the population resides within the walls of Azure City itself. While the city is open to travelers from all lands, the law only grants citizenship to those with human blood. Tip: That human blood must be inside the human for it to count.
    Cities: Azure City is the only true city within Azurite territory, though there are several other towns and dozens of villages spread out across several valleys.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #133

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Back page of War & XPs: (travel guide entry on Azure City):
    Laurentio self-proclaimed ogre.
    Laurentio find Azure City's laws very lenient!
    Laurentio can have blood of human inside Laurentio easy.
    Azure City full of human full of human blood!
    Laurentio not fond of liquid diet, but it good for health!
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Being called to something doesn't mean "only special people get in". A calling is something you want to do, and will devote yourself to. It means being a paladin is a way of life, something fundamental to your worldview, not just a job, like being a rogue or fighter or ranger might be.
    This is a key point about callings. People talk about "Finding their calling" all the time, its not necessarily an inherent from-childhood thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A middle-aged priest has to evacuate her congregation in the face of an invading army. Out of desperation she dons armor and shield and stands with the defenders as the non-combatants flee. In the morning only she remains alive. Her faith sustained her and the ferocity of her defense inspired a rag-tag handful of defenders to break the van of the invaders' army.

A youthful delinquent is mentored by a pious elder. The youth comes to terms with his past and finds the ability to forgive the wrongs done to him. He dedicated his life to seeking out those who, like him, were born into bad circumstance but would become better people with an example of how.

In the slave pens of the Underdark an enslaved priest secretly works to heal the sick and ease suffering. A young girl rats him out for a crust of bread. For the next seventy-seven days she is visited by evil and good outsiders who tempt and test her. On the morning of the seventy-eighth day she wakes and heals the painful wounds of a lashing victim. Thereafter she takes the priest's place and suffers torment herself to save others from it.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

break the van of the invaders' army.
    I'm sorry, the what?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm sorry, the what?
    Presumably short for Vanguard, as in the front.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The vanguards guard the van, obviously!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    The vanguards guard the van, obviously!
    Correct. And as we all know, the van is where the cool kids ride, drinking their strawberry milkshakes and using foul language like "gee-willakers" and "daddy-o".

I assumed 'van' was used more regularly than it apparently is as a short version of vanguard, the leading part of the army, presumably composed of the most experienced and able troops.

What is the leading part of an invading army called in French, and does it translate into English?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Correct. And as we all know, the van is where the cool kids ride, drinking their strawberry milkshakes and using foul language like "gee-willakers" and "daddy-o".

I assumed 'van' was used more regularly than it apparently is as a short version of vanguard, the leading part of the army, presumably composed of the most experienced and able troops.

What is the leading part of an invading army called in French, and does it translate into English?
    Avant-garde, literally "front-guard". Rearguard meanwhile, is arrière-garde whose literal meaning I'm sure you can guess on your own.

English military terminology is basically just French military terminology, but with an accent. The only exception I can think of is "marine" which does not have a corresponding French word, despite literally being the French word for "related to the sea"/"the navy".
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #141

Yeah, vanguard is just the Anglicanized version avant-garde. The reason for so many French military words is the same as the reason that so many culinary words in English also come from French, of course. French speakers people took over England and brought their words with them. lol

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    Yeah, vanguard is just the Anglicanized version avant-garde. The reason for so many French military words is the same as the reason that so many culinary words in English also come from French, of course. French speakers people took over England and brought their words with them. lol
    Yeah, you guys really have nobody to blame but yourselves. Yall took over a perfectly good german variant and infected it with your german-influenced french variant.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #143

English military terminology is basically just French military terminology, but with an accent. The only exception I can think of is "marine" which does not have a corresponding French word, despite literally being the French word for "related to the sea"/"the navy".
    Well, that mostly depends on how you define "military terminology". Stuff like fireteam, smoothbore, rifle(d), armoured (e.g. 9th Armoured Division), paratrooper, fighter/bomber/attack (aircraft), tank destroyer &c. doesn't sound particularly French to me.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that mostly depends on how you define "military terminology". Stuff like fireteam, smoothbore, rifle(d), armoured (e.g. 9th Armoured Division), paratrooper, fighter/bomber/attack (aircraft), tank destroyer &c. doesn't sound particularly French to me.
    "Fireteam", "smoothbore", "rifle", "fighter" and "tank destroyer" I'll give you (then again, "rifle" and "fighter" are way more generic than just military). But "armoured" comes from "armour" which comes from armure, "paratrooper" comes from "trooper" which comes from "troop" which comes from troupe, "bomber" comes from "bomb" which comes from bombe, "attack" comes from attaque and "aircraft" comes from "air" which comes from well... air.

Edit: While we're on the subject: "military", "victory", "defeat", "battle", "war", "tactic", "strategy", "army", "force", "general", "soldier", "hostile", "ally", "enemy"... It just keeps going, really.

Edit2: "destroyer" comes from "destroy" which comes from de(s)truire.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-09-29 at 06:34 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #145

"Fireteam", "smoothbore", "rifle", "fighter" and "tank destroyer" I'll give you (then again, "rifle" and "fighter" are way more generic than just military). But "armoured" comes from "armour" which comes from armure, "paratrooper" comes from "trooper" which comes from "troop" which comes from "troupe", "bomber" comes from "bomb" which comes from bombe, "attack" comes from attaque and "aircraft" comes from "air" which comes from well... air.
    Well, the way I put it left it wide open for that parry, but if marine counts, armoured (=/= blindé), paratrooper(=/= parachutiste militaire) and aircraft (looks… kind of not too much like its French counterpart) should likewise do so. Edit: The point being, they might have French-derived components (or more) but they aren't derived from their French equivalent (with a silly accent).

Edit: While we're on the subject: "military", "victory", "defeat", "battle", "war", "tactic", "strategy", "army", "force", "general", "soldier", "hostile", "ally", "enemy"... It just keeps going, really.
    Yes, yes, I'm just playing the devil's advocate here; English is but a silly dialect of French.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-09-29 at 06:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

And French is just a silly dialect of Latin. The Romans were in England well before the French.

Whether the individual words were taken from Roman soldiers or from the later Normans is an activity for someone more historically inclined than I.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    And French is just a silly dialect of Latin.
    Too true!

Whether the individual words were taken from Roman soldiers or from the later Normans is an activity for someone more historically inclined than I.
    Spoiler alert: it's mostly the latter. (Heck, if memory serves, most direct borrowings from Latin are Modern Period scientific terms and the like.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-09-29 at 06:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

And French is just a silly dialect of Latin. The Romans were in England well before the French.

The Angles and the Saxon pretty much ridd the isle of Roman influence (besides Roman presence was comparatively short only lasting around 400 years) while the current lords are still of Norman descent, almost millenium later.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

"Fireteam", "smoothbore", "rifle", "fighter" and "tank destroyer" I'll give you (then again, "rifle" and "fighter" are way more generic than just military). But "armoured" comes from "armour" which comes from armure, "paratrooper" comes from "trooper" which comes from "troop" which comes from troupe, "bomber" comes from "bomb" which comes from bombe, "attack" comes from attaque and "aircraft" comes from "air" which comes from well... air.

Edit2: "destroyer" comes from "destroy" which comes from de(s)truire.
    Psh. French is just Latin dressed up in a snooty accent with needless vowels thrown in for fun.
    And French is just a silly dialect of Latin.
    Ninja'd, but I think I put it better.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-09-29 at 07:17 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I love the fact that 90% of English has been stolen from all the other languages. Cross pollination creates strong flowers.

Besides, if you want to express an idea, you need a word for it. English just uses the word the guy who thought of it used. Saves time, and you don't need a word that is a sentence of it's own like the Germans do.