New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Savage Tides: The Bullywug Gambit

Cordelia finishes casting Enlarge Person on Akula, and Kitten tears into the two monkeys she's fighting, starting with the more-injured of the two.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cordelia no action this turn - saving spells.

Kitten Full Attack Bite (1d20+8)[18] damage (1d6+3)[5] trip (1d20+6)[26]
    (1d20+6)[13] damage (1d3+1)[2]
    (1d20+6)[15] damage (1d3+1)[3]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map, Round 4
    Show

The red outline is Firi'Sar's Grease spell. The black outlines w/orange fill are the acid pools left behind by the dead monkeys.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Cordelia takes a 5-ft step (not included in post, but I'm confident RCGothic would prefer it) and takes Full Defense.
    Kitten trips a monkey (but doesn't deal damage).
    Firi'Sar 5-ft steps back and casts Magic Missile, killing a monkey.
    Akula gets enlarged, 5-ft steps, and throws a harpoon, killing another monkey.
    Tillandi attacks, dealing 7 damage to a monkey.

The two dying monkeys make bite attacks at other monkeys - it appears their mad death throes include them lashing out at something, even if it is an "ally." Neither bite connects, though. Each dying monkey then explodes, but all the PCs are too far away to be hit with acid splashing from their deaths.

The remaining monkeys all move in (if necessary) and attack some more.
    Two attack Akula - one hits, dealing 2 damage and exposing him to its disease. As he's already contracted it, there is no additional impact.
    One attacks Tillandi - miss.
    Two attack Kitten - none hit, as they struggle with the entangle and starting the turn prone.

As the explosive nature of the mutated-monkey death throes becomes apparent the party largely backs off, trying to attack from range when they can. Kitten trips a monkey and dodges two bites as the simians struggle in the grasping vines and grasses. Tillandi attacks, not killing her monkey but connecting solidly.

Both Firi'Sar and the now-ogre-sized Akula kill monkeys, each with ranged efforts. The elf uses a spell evoking magical force while the Darfellan spears another with an enlarged harpoon! The two apes lash out at their fellows with snapping jaws and acid explosions, but don't hurt the PCs at all as they leave puddles of acid sizzling behind.

The remaining five monkeys continue to grapple and bite at the party. Only Akula takes a bite this round, though.

@DrK - please note Akula's Enlarge Person effect on your stats until it expires. Thanks!

Begin round 5!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"Make space!" Firi'Sar barks, eyeing the remaining monsters. After a moment, he chooses a target- the most apparently injured simian, and unleashes another blast of arcane force.

Spoiler: Firi'Sar, round 3
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    Male NG Elf Swash 1, Empiricist 3//Arcanist 4, Level 4, Init 10, HP 24/25, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 3, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Rapier (MW) +9 (1d6+4, 18-20, x2)
    Rapier (cold iron) +8 (1d6+4) 18-20, x2)
    Light crossbow (20 bolts) +7 (1d8, 19-20, x2)
    Mage Armor, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition Lightbringer: +1 CL for light related spells
    Panache: 5/6
    Inspiration: 5/5
    Arcane Reservoir: 3/5 (4 if no use this turn?)
    Extracts & Spells (See list https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2377717)

Move action to identify the most injured enemy: (1d20+16)[20] perception

Another magic Missile (2d4+2)[4] damage
    RELEVANT QUESTION
    I'm going to deduct the point assuming you're OK with it.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Akula N'Kuttik "Shark Splitter"

Akula bellos happily as he expands to a towering 12ft tall giant, over reaching all of the others around him. Stepping back he goes to stamp on the nearby monkeys seeking to crush them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

5ft backwards
    Stemp (flurry) on the monkeys to the North with power attack
    (1d20+4)[6] dam (2d6+10)[21]
    (1d20+4)[22] dam (2d6+10)[17]

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 4 // 4, Init 4, HP 36/37, Speed 20ft Land / 40ft Swim
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 19, = 14 AC currently due to large
    Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Unarmed +8 (+6/6) (1d8+5, x2)
    Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +9 (1d8+6, x3)
    CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str, Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +8 (touch) (Entangled, -)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P) MW Klar (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 8
    Condition None

Condition/Effects
    Martial Flexibility (5/5 remaining):

Enlarge person -1 atk/AC, +2 Str, -2 Dex, reach

Traits: +1 unarmed damage, +1 Dam vs [Aquatic], +1 hit [Aquatic]

Spells inf / 4/4 / 2/2 remaining
    0: Light, Detect Magic, Sift, Guidance, Create Water, Detect Poison
    1st: Divine Favour, Protection From Evil, Nature's Path, Cure Light
    2nd: Tactical Acumen, Invisibility

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi was getting fed up with this thing. Normally it would have been down for some time by now, but these were not normal monkeys. Well, normally they didn't attack, so that was a first problem. She tried to stab it again to take it out.

Spoiler: OOC round 4
    Show

attack: (1d20+8)[20] for damage: (1d8+4)[8]
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Alarmed by the monkey shrugging off her attacks, Kitten goes defensive.

Cordelia too holds back her spells. If these things are going to be defeated, it's going to have to be by someone who can hit harder.

Spoiler
    Show

Total defence, both

7. - Top - End - #37

NecromancerGuy

"Well, I'm sure you recognized the quasit and the dretches from your studies. The worm wearing a man's skin was a Vermlek - nasty bit of work, those. They've as much in common with ghouls as other demons. Since it got away I will have someone look into the graveyards in town...Vermleks sometimes replace gravediggers and desecrate the recent dead with their unholy appetites!" exclaims Sea-Father Daskeral in obvious disgust. "Much better to die at sea and be given back to the waters, if you ask me...but the diseased ones with the swords, they don't sound like any demons I know. Could they be victims of the disease they carry? You said they had bony spurs and misshapen limbs, right? Well, you're growing a spur right there..." he says seriously, gently pointing to a painful sore with a growth bursting through Tillandi's skin.

"If these mutants were once humans, then we must get you healed at once! Then we will need to be preparing for this disease to spread, just in case. You will have as many scrolls as you need - I will demand the other priests help this evening with the scribing. How many can you afford now, and do you think you will need to buy some on credit, Sister?"

(You can purchase as many scrolls to fight disease as you want prior to leaving, including getting a reasonable amount on credit from the Cathedral, if desired.)
    Spoiler: Map, Round 5
    Show

The red outline is Firi'Sar's Grease spell. The black outlines w/orange fill are the acid pools left behind by the dead monkeys.

Show
    Akula kills another with his unarmed strike after taking a 5-ft step.
    Firi'Sar casts Magic Missile again, killing one of the two monkeys near Akula.
    Tillandi stabs her monkey with her trident, killing it.
    Both Kitten and Cordelia take Full Defense for their actions.

Tillandi is adjacent when her monkey dies - during it's death throes it bites at her (missing) and then explodes. To avoid taking 4 acid damage she needs to pass a DC 15 Reflex save.

Both the monkeys attacking Kitten miss.

The party's efforts finally seem to be paying off, as three of the savage simians die explosively this round to Firi'Sar's magic, Akula's fists, and Tillandi's trident. Only Tillandi is close to any when they do, putting her at risk of acid splashing on her as the foe dissolves into a hissing puddle at her feet.

The last two monkeys maintain their mindlessly focused attack on Kitten, in spite of the absurdity of the idea that two monkeys would lash out at one of their natural predators like this. Neither connects with the cat as Kitten dutifully holds her ground.

Farothel, please place use Mythweavers to place a current status statblock of Tillandi in your posts - it saves me time when looking for her stats. I also need a DC 15 Reflex save from her to avoid taking 4 acid damage.

Nice tactics this round! Begin round 6!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"Dee! Can you bring her back? Akula, get in there!" Firi'Sar prowls carefully to the side, making space for his enlarged companion even as he hopes for an opening. When Kitten makes one, he unleashes another trio of arcane bolts.

Spoiler: Firi'Sar, round 4
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    Male NG Elf Swash 1, Empiricist 3//Arcanist 4, Level 4, Init 10, HP 24/25, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort 5, Ref 7, Will 3, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Rapier (MW) +9 (1d6+4, 18-20, x2)
    Rapier (cold iron) +8 (1d6+4) 18-20, x2)
    Light crossbow (20 bolts) +7 (1d8, 19-20, x2)
    Mage Armor, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Arcane Reservoir: 2/5

Move to the left to clear a path for Akula to charge?

Another boosted magic Missile (3d4+3)[10] damage

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Back home
    "I can buy two, but I have no more funds," Tillandi said, "Maybe the rest of the group can scrounge together some more, but I'm not sure as they have their own expenses. And I'm the only one who can even attempt to use them."

Spoiler: OOC calculations
    Show

I have 1 and I have 500 something gp left, so that's 1 more as they cost 375 gp each, unless I get them at cost, which probably is less (I never play crafters, so I'm not familiar with the crafting rules)
    Forewarned, Tillandi managed to jump away when the monkey exploded, before taking a step and helping Kitten dispose of the left over monkeys.

Spoiler: OOC round 4
    Show

reflex save: (1d20+6)[20]
    step to N20
    attack monkey on M20: (1d20+8)[9] for damage: (1d8+4)[8]

Tillandi Borgrem
    Female N Half-elf Cleric/Fighter, Level 4/4, Init 2, HP 28/28, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, CMD 18, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 8, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 4
    MC, brace Trident +8 (1d8+4, x2)
    Silvered dagger +6 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
    Cold Iron dagger +6 (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Breastplate, Heavy wooden shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 12
    Condition
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-02 at 03:29 PM.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

As the monkey is stamped upon by his massive boot Akula grins again and then spins to see kitten under attack. Hearing Firi'Sar he nods, "Cordelia, get out of the way." he shouts to the young woman readying a massive running flying kick at the monkeys as Tillandi slashes at one and more missiles of pure magic streak from Firi'Sar.

Show

Wait till Cordelia moves out the way
    Charge up to attack a monkey using 10ft reach (1d20+8)[16] dam (2d6+10)[14]

M NG Darfellan Brawler (Beast Wrestler)// Inquisitor (Sanctified slayer / Keeper of the Current), Level 4 // 4, Init 4, HP 36/37, Speed 20ft Land / 40ft Swim
    Grapple on a critical, has rope to control enemy MW Harpoon (50ft Rope) +9 (1d8+6, x3)
    CL DC17+SL, DC 22 escape or DC 25 Str, Snag Net (Trip (does 1+ damage)) +8 (touch) (Entangled, -)
    Leather Lamellar w/Armour spikes (+7 1d6+4/19-20 x2 P) MW Shark scale Armour, In combat (+8 1d6+4/ 19-20 x 2 P) MW Klar (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Condition None

Condition/Effects

11. - Top - End - #41

NecromancerGuy

"I will cast a spell to cure your infection personally and you can have as many as you can afford - at cost. I'm afraid we can't just give you more, so be careful. Do you need restoration too? Many diseases weaken your faculties - by now you can pray for this blessing yourself, right?" asks Daskeral as he moves to invoke healing magic on Tillandi gently. It's clear he is concerned, but can only afford to help so far. "Wish I could do more, but the other sea-faiths demand some concessions from us. Maintaining the peace around here is difficult at times..." he grumbles with an annoyed look at the other wings of the Azure Cathedral and the (other) faithful worshippers there.
    Spoiler: Summary
    Show
    With Kitten and Cordelia making way for Akula and Firi'Sar to attack the party has no difficulty killing the remaining two monkeys. The PCs avoid the mutated primates' death throes and explosions, taking only incidental damage for the rest of the fight.

Combat ends with at least Kitten and Akula suffering from the unnatural disease the monkeys carried. Has anyone else failed a Fortitude save and contracted the disease?

As magic force missiles and an oversized Darfellan begins stomping on them the two remaining mutated/diseased simians fall and explode into acid puddles. The jungle is suddenly slightly quieter as their insane whooping ends and the party catches their breaths...

(End of combat)

...only for about a minute later both Akula and Kitten to suffer the first symptoms of "Savage Fever." Both of them writhe in pain as their flesh breaks out in a terrible black rash, complete with short, bony protrusions in the effected areas. At the same time they have skull-splitting headaches as with a sharp, piercing agony they take 1d6 Intelligence damage.

Spoiler: @RCgothic
    Show
    If Kitten's Intelligence reaches 0 from this damage she will fall comatose immediately. If the "0" Intelligence score is not addressed she won't wake up as an animal companion, so I recommend doing something about that if at all possible.

How does the party handle things immediately? Please go about healing injuries and addressing disease now. The party can purchase scrolls and/or potions from the Azure Cathedral at cost, and I recommend being prepared to deal with the Savage Fever that literally plagues this area...

I will move the story along so you don't have to wait on me for more.

After binding their wounds and treating the symptoms of Savage Fever the party begins walking again, now a bit more cautious as they go. The jungle has taken on a much more sinister look - gone are the beautiful flowers and birds of paradise they expected to see. In their place are spiney, oozing growths on the plants. No more animals approach or are seen - they have all either fled or are hiding from the violent insanity that plagued the late-monkey troop. It's quite a sobering thing to see.

The party reaches a set of cliffs overlooking Kraken's Cove about thirty minutes later and are greeted with a horrific sight. In the sheltered cove below an inferno rages atop the water. Several ships, including a two-masted caravel, a sizeable frigate, a long barge, and what might have once been a schooner are all ablaze. Up against the beach a three-master caravel seems to have escaped the fire - for now. A shiny slick on the surface of the water itself burns as well, creating a wall of wood and flame. The heat rises in searing sheets and the roar of the flaming maelstrom mixed with the crashing surf masks any other sounds that might be issuing up from below. Through periodic gaps in the smoke, however, movement on the beach is visible...something still lives in the inferno below...

There look to be three ways down. The cliffs that surround the cove are sheer but feature numerous handholds. These cliffs are about forty feet high and can be navigated with DC 15 Climb checks. The second route is a rickety-looking wooden walkway descending from the eastern cliff, over the shallow bay water, and down to the beach below. The fire has not yet reached the walkway, but it doesn't look like it has been used in some time and the ships on fire are close enough to make the heat uncomfortable. The last option is a cliff-dive into the bay-waters below. Akula can see that the water looks to be about twenty feet deep below the cliff, a relatively safe dive...if the party can avoid the fiery oil slick and burning detritus floating between this point and the beach.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

The cliffs you can climb are around the top-left of the map, going from left to right to the beach. The walkway is from C55 up and right to E42. Cliff-diving would essentially take place slightly below the map with a swim up from there.

My descriptions cover the obvious stuff - there is more you can learn (most of the time, this isn't unique) with directed Perception checks. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Back home
    "I understand, sir," Tillandi said, "I can get about five now and I'll check with my party members to see if we can some more. And yes, I can cast some restoration."

She will check with the others to see if they had some money to buy more scrolls.
    "Interesting," Tillandi said, "and we're clearly on the right way as we see the same type of stuff as we saw in the city. Now, everybody gather here."
    With everybody around her, she quickly cast a channel energy to heal everybody at once. And when the disease started, she grabbed her supply of scrolls and started casting to halt the disease before it could spread further. As Kitten had fallen unconscious and she knew from her own case that this was probably due to weakened faculties. So she added a restoration spell. Unfortunately she had only prepared one, so Akula would have to wait. She had some problems getting the spell cast on Akula, but a second try did work as it should and the diseases should be gone.

===at the cove===

"Oh ****," Tillandi said when she saw the ships burning, "we have to get down quickly. As far as I can see we can either use our ropes to climb down or use the walkway. I think I can make it down the walkway fairly quickly. Swimming is not an option for me with my armour I think."

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

channel energy: (2d6)[10] for everybody within 30ft (which should be everybody)

scroll on Kitten: caster level check: (1d20+4)[15] (DC 6)
    scroll on Akula: caster level check: (1d20+4)[5] (DC 6)

lesser restoration on Kitten: (1d4)[3] int restored

Perception in OOC topic.

Tillandi Borgrem
    AC 20, Touch 12, Flat-footed 18, CMD 18, Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 8, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Condition
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-06 at 01:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Akula shouts and drops to the ground crying out in pain as the savage fever hits him, pain shooting through his body as he curls up in foetal position on the muddy ground, hands clenched trying not lash out at his allies and friends. As Tilandi uses the scroll to remove the burning fever he relaxes slightly, his mind still burning and eyes blurred from the stabbing headache that sends daggers of pain in his skull.

Slowly rising he nods to Tilandi, "Wise to purchase those scrolls, certainly something that has saved my life. Know that I owe you"

As they reach the cliff edge he looks at the walkway and the cliffs, "I have much rope" he says, patting the 100ft of coiled silk rope atop his back, "Shall I lower each of you down to the walkway or the beach? I can then dive into the water. I've done cliff diving since I was but a boy and can swim well."

Show

Int Damage (1d6)[3]

Condition None

Condition/Effects

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar watches with empathy as Akula and Kitten suffer the immediate effects of their infection. "If this is going to be a regular occurrence, we may be glad to have these scrolls," he muses, as Cordeila and Akula tend the injuries. He whistles tunelessly as they travel the rest of the way to the cove, surveying the wreckage left by the disease with an impassive, keen gaze.

At the sight of the still-raging blaze, the Elf's eyes widen. "We better get down there! That's a good idea, Akula!" Firi'Sar responds to his friend. "Don't take any chances until we're back together on the shore, though!" Without further discussion, he hurries forward, retrieving a vial from his waistband. As soon as the rope is bound, he begins to climb, taking care use the rope more than the handholds.

Show
    Climb check(s): (10d20)[9][20][18][12][2][5][12][14][9][2](103) Each success (at +2 vs DC 5?) should get Firi'Sar roughly 7.5 feet closer to the bottom. It'll take at least 6 rounds to get down- more if he fails one or two of the checks.

Assuming he reaches the bottom unmolested (crosses fingers), he'll first look for a place to hide. (1d20+11)[18] stealth, and retrieve his shield of faith potion. (Held in off-hand, for now)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi looks at the climb and then at the walkway.
    "I'll go over that," she said, pointing to the walkway, "I'm not really a good climber, especially with my armour, but I can walk on narrow ledges much easier. Don't go on it until I'm down, okay, as I'm not sure it will hold more than one person."
    Slowly and carefully she will walk down over the walkway.

Show

walk (athletics): (1d20+3)[23]

Tillandi Borgrem
    Condition
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-08 at 03:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Akula looks at the others and unwinds the rope happy to tie it around anyones waist and lowers them down to the edge of the beach for them to avoid the need for climbing down the cliff. That done he looks down over the edge to see how best he should get down before tieing the rope to a tree and climbing down the cliff to join the others

Show

Lower the others down and then take 10 to climb down

Condition None

Condition/Effects

17. - Top - End - #47

NecromancerGuy

The PCs all begin making their ways down to the beach, with several of them climbing/rappelling down and Tillandi taking a stroll along the walkway.

Immediately Tillandi sees that the pirates who have used Kraken's Cove must not be using this walkway anymore - it is slick, in poor repair, and with a rather dizzying drop off the side into the water. Still, she begins making her way down easily enough, one arm on the cliff wall for balance and watching her steps carefully. Luckily for her the other PCs call out as they see the largest of the burning ships come loose from its mooring and begin drifting towards the walkway! With the ship still on fire and moving somewhat quickly, Tillandi realizes that she needs to move fast and does so, making it to the beach in just enough time to dodge out of the way and avoid the entire walkway collapsing.

(Tillandi's Acrobatics check and move speed are enough to get all the way down quickly solo. Had more than one PC tried, or had anyone been going slower the event described above could have been much worse...)

With the way back limited to just a rope-assisted climb, the party looks towards Kraken's Cove (the pirate hideout/caves, not the water) as they try to get a feel for where to begin...

Spoiler: Knowledge (Geography, History, or Local) DC 20
    Show
    The smuggler's caves in Kraken's Cover are the brainchild of a retired pirate named Kigante Valeros. He discovered the caves about two decades ago and saw an opportunity. The Crimson Fleet needed a place to stage their many illicit operations in the area, as their homeport of Scuttlecove is too far south to manage it. Valeros took a small group of smugglers and guards and began to provide aid to visiting pirates and safeguarded the hideout when it wasn't in use.

The cave walls look to be smooth, wet stone with many small stalactites all around. The tunnels look tall - about ten feet high - and the floors look to be well-cleared of tripping hazards like stalagmites. There is sand spread throughout the entire area, leaving an even floor for the most part. There are cheap hooded lanterns hanging from hooks in the walls periodically - these are still burning steadily.

However, there are many signs that all is not well here. First are the sounds - a veritable symphony of howls, shrieks, maniacal laughter, clanging of metal on metal, and other discordant sounds ring in the air. It sounds like an insane asylum where the prisoners are running things. It is difficult to tell where all the noise is coming from, with the cave walls causing echoes and masking the source of sounds and the constant noise of fires burning onboard the ships in the harbor.

The second sign that things are not well are the swaths of blood and ragged body parts strewn across the beach testifying to a terrible and recent battle upon the sands here. Broken crates and bamboo cages litter the area, blood and bits of bone sprayed across bolts of silk and cracked barrels of ambergris seeping into the coarse, rocky sand. A number of mangled corpses, each stripped nearly clean of flesh and bones cracked open, lie strewn about the beach. The casualties are staggering, with a quick count putting the dead at nearly twenty.

A thorough search of this area could take a while, but if you wish to perform such a survey you can. Describe your actions, including mechanical checks and how far from your locations you move, and I will go from there. You can also approach any of the cave entrances, try to check out the ships, or even swim in the water some. As this area was a pirate hideout, it's likely that there is stuff of interest (treasure) most everywhere...

Spoiler: Current Map
    Show

The beach is fifty-feet-wide and separates the burning waters of Kraken's Cover from the cliffs to the north. A ten-foot-wide cave opens at the base of the cliff to the northwest, while to the northeast several planks provide a crude bridge across a tide pool to a second, smaller cave entrance.

Please note that the walkway has collapsed and one of the ships is now listing against the cliff walls where the walkway was. The beach is not very clear, but the sand is well-packed and in spite of the mess not difficult terrain or anything.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"That was close," Tillandi said, "and who or what is making that ruckus. At least now I don't have to worry about making noise. Nobody will hear us with that noise."
    She moved carefully closer to the main cavern entrance to see (or hear) if she could get a better idea of what is in the caves.

Show

perception: (1d20+10)[29]
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-09 at 02:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"Safely" on the shore, Firi'Sar immediately casts his eyes to the wreckage, primarily concerned for living (or not) threats. He then prowls quickly to the nearest cave opening (I/36), and peers cautiously inside.
    Show
    (1d20+16)[23] perception.

"One slight blessing that," he murmurs to Tillandi as he tries to help figure out what exactly is going on.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Akula claps Tilandi on the shoulder, “lucky, you did well there. Maybe the rope next time?” Looking at the slaughtered remains he shakes his head. “This doesn’t bode well, do you think this could be related to the savage fever the monkeys had?”

Looking at the wreckage in the water he nods and starts to wade out, ”keep an eye on the cave, I’ll check the sea bed and the wreck.” if they agree he splashes into the surf throwing out his sense onto the deck and above water bits of the wreck and then diving underwater clicking and hissing as he uses his echolocation to search the sunken wrecks

Show

Survival for tracks (1d20+8)[23]
    Search the shore (1d20+9)[14]
    Sift the burning ship perception (1d20+5)[9]

Swim in the shores and the wreckage, take 10 swim = 26
    Underwater perception (1d20+9)[24]

Condition None

Condition/Effects

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Why is there no-one outside?" Cordelia wonders aloud. "Have more of those infected creatures driven them all inside?" She wanders over to the nearest wreck with kitten to peer inside.

22. - Top - End - #52

NecromancerGuy

The party keeps in sight of each other (mostly) as they look around the beach for signs of what happened. The first conclusion everyone comes to is that the vicious battle that took place here was between pirates and other pirates - there are no signs of monsters or invaders. Instead you find pirate bodies in all conditions - some broken by what you are beginning to recognize as the Savage Fever and warped into mutants, others broken and partially eaten (presumably by the savage pirates), and still others who died of weapon damage. It is a mess of chaos and butchery.

Second, the fight looks to have happened recently, within the last several hours. Nothing has had time to decay, though the flies have begun to swarm, especially around the larger groups of the dead. Based on the condition of the burning ships and the still-filled oil lamps, it seems that if you had been here as early as this morning that you might have seen it firsthand for yourselves. If Vanthus Vanderboren is involved with this - and you have no reason to believe he isn't, given the ship fires and his history - then he has brought ruin to this place, somehow.

As they search Tillandi and Firi'Sar both find some valuable goods that somehow avoided the worst of the disaster. Tillandi finds a large leather satchel of saffron, worth about 600 GP by her estimate, amongst some broken crates and ruined pallets. These look to have been staged for loading on one of the ships burning in the harbor. Firi'Sar finds a crate of fine chine and silverware, likely worth about 200 GP, in a similar collection nearer the caves.

In the water Akula finds something strange, though. About forty feet from shore is a large circular area completely devoid of life. Akula is familiar with the ocean in this area, and the warm, temperate waters tend to be teeming with life - seaweed, urchins, coral, etc... - even if there aren't any fish to be found. Instead of living creatures at this spot all he finds are five jagged chunks of what looks to have been a fist-sized black pearl. The parts may be worth something, even with the gemstone itself being ruined.

Akula gathers the pieces and makes his way back to the shore just as Cordelia and Kitten - who haven't found anything particularly noteworthy - notice two savage pirates skulking near the cave entrance where Firi'Sar has been searching. They raise the alarm as the pair move towards the elf with snapping, oversized jaws!

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Roll Initiative! If you beat a 16 you can act in Round 1 before the savage pirates. No one is surprised - they were looking for more to eat, and you saw them coming.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Firi'Sar isn't the slightest bit surprise when the monstrous... humanoids begin plodding forward. Without missing a beat, he calls back. "Got 'em! About to get fun over here!" He begins stepping slowly away, performing a new (to his companions) arcane ritual. A moment later, his nose extends, even as his frame decreases rapidly. In only an instant, short, coarse whiskers erupt from the tip of his newly-pointed snout, and a murine biped scampers backwards where Firi'Sar previously stood.

As he mocks the monsters, a surprisingly familiar voice calls out. "Let's dance, uglies!"

Spoiler: Firi'Sar, round 1
    Show
    Firi'Sar Throshana
    Male NG Elf Swash 1, Empiricist 3//Arcanist 4, Level 4, Init 10, HP 25/25, Speed 30
    AC 20, Touch 16, Flat-footed 15, CMD 13, Fort 5, Ref 8, Will 3, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Rapier (MW) +9 (1d6+4, 18-20, x2) Small: +11 (1d4+5, 18-20, x2)
    Rapier (cold iron) +8 (1d6+4) 18-20, x2) Small: +10 (1d4+5) 18-20, x2)
    Light crossbow (20 bolts) +7 (1d8, 19-20, x2) Small: +9 (1d6, 19-20, x2)
    Mage Armor, Shield Extract (+4 armor, +5 Dex, +1 size)
    Abilities Str 7, Dex 18, 20, Con 10, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Arcane Reservoir: 2/5

Cast Alter self to Ratfolk form. Immediately relevant details: small size, +2 dex, 60' dark vision, and scent. I believe the size and dex are included above.

Move to J/39

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Akula emerges from the water clutching the strange fragments of the pearl and is about to shout to Firi’Sar and the others when the pirates emerge. “Ware the teeth!” he shouts to the others as he starts to splash out of the surf harpoon in hand. Glass shards dropped onto the beach for later.
    He strides forward focusing on the nearest one

Show

Move to H40 drawing harpoon
    Studied target on J8

Condition None

Condition/Effects

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

"Kitten, stay close," Cordelia commands, worried about her companion's ability to sustain sickening injuries from these creatures. Instead she reaches out with her mind to probe the mutants' psychic defences.

Spoiler
    Show
    Psychic Strike WILL DC15 or (1d6+2)[3] damage and shaken.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2022-11-29 at 04:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Map, Round 1
    Show

Firi'Sar is now represented by a "Ratfolk Rogue" token to note his altered-self form.

Show
    Firi'Sar casts Alter Self to transform into a Ratfolk and then moves to J39.
    Akula moves to J8, draws a harpoon, and studies a target.
    Cordelia uses Psychic Strike against the nearest Savage Pirate. The enemy fails its saving throw and takes 3 damage but appears unaffected by any form of [fear].

Both Savage Pirates charge at Rat-Firi'Sar: one hits with it's scimitar for 6 damage.

Edit: Firi'Sar Parries and Ripostes, dealing 1 damage after DR.

The party prepares for battle with magic, study, and a psychic attack. While Cordelia's strike causes the nearest enemy to wince in pain, it does not seem slowed by fear at all.

Quite the contrary, both mutant pirates charge at Rat-Firi'Sar, their scimitars slashing down with insane fervor! One strikes the shrunken, hairy rat-man, drawing blood but not leaving him too badly wounded, yet. Edit: Firi'Sar parries a slashing strike that would have connected, instead poking the attacker and drawing a little blood through its unusually resistant-to-damage hide.

All PCs to act. Begin round 2!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tillandi was looking the other way when the two critters appeared. Looking closely she decided that now was not a bad moment to take out the bigger guns. She pointed at one and casts a spell, trying to keep it in place. Then she stepped in to start chopping.

Spoiler: OOC round 1
    Show

cast hold person on K38 (it's still humanoid so it should work). Will save DC16 to negate
    5ft step to L39

Tillandi Borgrem
    Condition

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

THe Darfellan grunts angrily exhaling and breathing heavily as he barks a "Away from my friend" and steps forward seeking to skewer the nearest of the mutant pirates on the end of the harpoon before spinning around with a savage elbow from the shark scale armour raking the spikes down its face.

Show

Free: 5ft step to I39
    Standard: Stab w/studied target and power attack (1d20+6)[8] dam (1d8+11)[17]
    and TWF with the shark skin spiks [roll]1d20+6[roll] dam (1d4+6)[7]

Condition None

Condition/Effects
    Martial Flexibility (4/5 remaining):

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Fixed attack roll
    Show

Shark spikes attack (1d20+6)[9]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"Flank them," Cordelia suggests to Kitten, seeing them attack with scimitars instead of anything more infectious. The leopard quickly runs to obey, looping around to attack the pirates from behind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bite (1d20+10)[21] damage (1d6+3)[6] plus trip (1d20+8)[22]

Meanwhile, satisfied that her mental assault inflicted since damage she steps it up to the next level with a mind thrust!

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind Thrust (4d6)[12] WILL DC14 for half