New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2E Belfast by Night

Michael gets a sense that the Geist is attentive without seeming especially worried about the new arrival. What sort of thing might a ghost be worried about anyway?

The woman stands by the back fence with her arms crossed and will nod in satisfaction as Michael comes outside. She doesn't look especially threatening. More sad. Most of the fences in the neighbouring houses are tall, overgrown hedges, so it's unclear if there's anyone else about. People have been known to use the alleyway between the two houses to walk their dogs but in the middle of the day it's usually quiet.

The woman speaks with a Dublin accent, which isn't uncommon in Belfast. 'You're still alive I see. Or as much as alive means for someone like you. I am glad to see it.' She'll point at Michael. 'I saw you use the gun you know. I'd say you owe the one that's living in your head some gratitude for bringing you back.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Thanks. Was this close to referencing Terminator 2 but better to write it out.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael smiles, trying to hide his slight discomfort at the comment, and at talking to a phantom out in the open like this. “Thanks,” he says, “it sounds like you’ve observed a lot. Uh, I’m Michael, by the way.” For a moment he considers offering a hand to shake, then thinks better if it.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

The woman looks amused. 'I'm Mary. Watching other people is most of what I get to do these days. Leaving the house is ...difficult.' She will take a small step forward and something about her body seems to ripple for a moment before she steps back. 'It gets worse the further away I go. I learnt that the hard way. One of your lot told me it's something to do with the place I died.'

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael can't manage to hide the surprise on his face when the ghost Mary mentions "his lot". He hastily says, "Nice to meet you Mary. I'm... I'm sorry, that can't be easy." He lets the statement hang for just long enough before saying, "One of my lot? You mean... there are others? I haven't met anyone else like me. How many have you seen?" The statement was true, and Michael's voice was filled with a palpable excitement.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Mary looks serious for a moment. 'Oh it's a lot better then the alternative. Perhaps you've already seen it?' Michael might remember the details of where he was when he met the Geist. 'Still, the old lady next door tends to leave her TV on so I can still keep in touch with the world.'

On the second point, 'You didn't think you were the only one did you? Sometimes the people who should have died get to come back. I'm not exactly in touch with most of them but Malcolm over at the University comes over for a chat sometimes. He told me the basics.'

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael nods his head, trying to maintain a cool face and not betray his excitement over finding out about another Sin Eater. "Malcom? At the University? Any chance you could tell me what he looks like or how I might find him," he asks, trying to keep the pitch of his voice from rising.

(OOC: Should Michael read into the fact that Mary doesn't want to move on? My impression was most still present ghosts are there because they have something unresolved, anchoring them to reality...)
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

'Malcolm's an older English fella. Think he said he was a History Professor or something of that sort so he shouldn't be that hard to find. Haven't had reason to go to the campus since the eighties so I can't exactly give you directions. I assume it's changed a fair bit.' Michael has been to the campus so shouldn't have that much trouble finding the university history department. Most of the smaller departments were close to the main building.

Show
    You're welcome to ask

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael nods his head, trying still to maintain an easy smile as he works to imprint everything this ghost was saying to him. "Well thank you," he replies once Mary was finished, "I... uh, I think I will try to introduce myself to him." He pauses for a moment, debating with himself on how to best broach the subject. After a moment's thought Michael says, "Well, I appreciate you helping me. I don't mean to be nosing, but I've been told that many... uh, ghosts like yourself, often stick around for a reason. It's none of my business, but is there anything I can help you with?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure if it would be helpful or wanted here, but will roll Composure/Empathy at 4d10 (4d10)[6][7][5][10](28) and 10 again (6d10)[4][6][5][3][7][7](32) Don't know how you want to use doors here, but Michael also has Reconciler **, which may come into play here.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Mary looks pained for a moment but still answers. Michael has the sense that she doesn't get the chance to talk to many people. 'Malcolm said the same. But I think it's a little easy for someone to say that when they don't have to go down there themselves.' Mary points towards the ground and Michael can feel the Geist agreeing with that sentiment. Michael might remember where he was when he met the Geist. 'I know enough to know that it's not like the Priests made out but so far no one seems to know what happens afterwards.' She'll gesture towards the house, 'And honestly it would be nice to get the house sorted. It doesn't seem right to leave it in such a state.'

Show
    She doesn't really have a problem with talking to Michael so I think we won't worry about doors for the moment

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael shivers at the memory of his brief stint in the underworld and replies, "I... I understand what you mean." he replies, though there is a hint of shame. To what extend Michael had been educated on "how things work" and what a Sin Eater was responsible for, he knew it was his job to help ghosts "move on". But Michael didn't have a mentor, he didn't have access to a resource of books or knowledge. He didn't blame Mary for her fear, and if he was going to be of any help to anyone (or anything), he was going to need to find those who did.

To her remark about the house, well, that was something he could help with! "Is there anything I can help you with... you know, with the house? I know it's not easy for you to, well, get things done. Assuming I wouldn't get in any trouble, I would be happy to help out."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

'Not unless you know any builders.' Mary's house isn't actually falling down but is otherwise a mess. 'Or if you have a spare tv in there. I can just about get the thing working myself if I have something to practice with. Other then that, finding out why the house is still sitting empty seems a lot to ask of anyone.'

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael shrugs and replies, "Well, I can't say I can't say I know anyone, or have a TV." He pretends to sigh, inwardly grinning. "But, other than if I happen to be able to help with either, I will definitely look into what's going on with your house. That's a promise." For a moment, he awkwardly extends a hand as if the ghost could shake it.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

'Ah, the internet.' Mary replied with a hesistant tone that suggested that she wasn't quite sure what the internet was. 'I suppose I'll manage. Thankyou Michael.' Perhaps to Michael's surprise Mary will reach out and shake his hand. For a dead woman Mary's handshake is surprisingly normal, albeit somewhat cold. Assuming Michael looks surprised, 'It doesn't work as well with most people. But the way you are now is closer to being dead then most. You might want to keep an eye out. I've heard that some of the dead are confused about what they are now. Most people will never notice that the ghost was even there, but every ghost will know a sin eater when they see one.'

On Mary's house, 'You might want to leave it till after you find Malcolm, but I believe there's a sign on my front door with the name of the company that seems to own my house at the moment. It ought to have gone to my brother's family even after we lost touch.'

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Thank you," Michael says again, doing his best to hide his surprise. He gives Mary his most reassuring smile as he departs, saying, "I'll take a look at that sign now."

And indeed, Michael does go around the house to take a look at the sign. He'll take a picture with his phone, hoping to record any phone number he can call or other specific contact information. Heading back to his garage, where his old beat up sedan is waiting, Michael will use his phone's search function to look up Professor Malcom in the History Department at the University.

(OOC: Let me know if you want some sort of roll here)
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Mary nods, 'I'll be around. Come into the house if you need anything.' The ghost will turn and walk back towards the ruin of her house. As she walks she starts to lose all definition and shape as she dissolves Into a mass of the same liquid tendrils that Michael had seen when she first arrived. Eventually even that has evaporated into the ground.

Michael goes round to the front of Mary's house. That requires him to go to the end of the row of terrace houses on his own road before passing onto the next road over. It looks much the same as a lot of the roads in this neighborhood. Featureless rows of cheap looking unadorned houses without any kind of garden or yard facing the road. A handful of houses on this road seem to be abandoned and boarded up. The front door of Mary's house is covered in posters for various political causes, but among them is a faded poster identifying the house as owned by Key One rental properties. An address and phone number is included for the benefit of any interested potential buyers. It is located on the upper Lisburn Road which is easily in walking distance, but is even closer to Lisa's house.

Once Michael is back in his car he has no trouble finding finding the Professor on the faculty list of the University website. In fact it includes a photo. Professor Malcolm Thompson is a white haired older man in glasses. According to the website his office should be just off the main campus.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael will snap a photo of the Key One poster with his phone. The thought will occur to him about the "irony" in the name of the company's name, though Michael will move on from that quickly. On his way back to his car he will actually call Key One Rental Properties, even though (or perhaps because) Mary had told him to wait till he had met Malcom. If anyone picks up, Michael will put on his best tradesman voice and say, "Yes, hello. I am calling to inquire about a property. It's..." giving the address of Mary's home, "I would love to know more about it."

At his car, Michael will decide to drive over. He had the address, what was the worst thing that could happen; that the office would be closed?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

After a few moments someone at the rental company picks up. 'I think I know that one. It'll need a lot of work if you're interested in buying.' There is the sound of typing as the man on the other end of the line looks up the address. 'Yeah, there's a pictures of what it looks like inside in the file. Usually when it's been left like that for this long it's because the owner is trying to hold out for more money.' Michael has been in the UK for long enough to get a sense of how expensive house prices are at the moment. 'If you're interested I can put you in touch with the owner. Do you want to give me your details?'

After the phonecall Michael drives over to Queen's University. It's still early afternoon and the traffic is still light before rush hour starts. Queens is likely to be familar to Michael as a landmark if nothing else. Lisa had attended the English department there during her degree and there are a number of bars and restaurants in walking distance of the main building. Michael is obliged to park in the Holylands neighborhood of student housing which is a busier and slightly better kept version of the area where Michael rents. There are people everywhere who look like they are travelling to or from classes.

The School of History building is in the middle of a terrace of red brick three story houses that run alongside the main building. Each house has a small garden in front of it and a plaque on the front door identifying the name of each of the schools. A bunch of students are sitting around outside the front of the History building smoking and talking. Inside the place is larger then it appears from the outside. A cramped corridor heads through into the adjoining buildings that have long sense been absorbed by the university. A staircase heads upwards as what looks like a seminar class is in the process of leaving one of their teacher's offices. Office doors are everywhere, but there is a reception area behind a glass panel just inside the main door and there is a list of the teacher's names and offices on the facing wall.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael listens to the man from the rental company, suppressing a small smile. "Owner you say? Is that a family member of the woman who used to own it? I believe her name was Mary..." In response to the question he replies, "Yes please, I would appreciate being put in touch with them," before adding, "Would it also be possible to set up a tour of the inside... assuming it requires as much work as you say? I assume that would be something I would set up with you rather than the owner."

Michael was still wearing his grey hoodie and jeans, which hopefully helped him blend in enough with the students on campus. He did his best to navigate the campus without looking around too much, trying his best to remain apparently at ease. Once he is upstairs in the history department, he moves confidently to the reception desk. Michael puts on his best salesman smile and says to the receptionist, "I have an appointment with Professor Malcom XYZ" dropping in the professor's last name which he picked up from looking him up online, "sorry I'm a little late."

(OOC: Rolling Presence + Subterfuge (5d10)[5][7][2][3][10](27) and 10 again (5d10)[4][9][9][1][5](28))
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

There is the sound of more typing, 'That's right, Mary Catty. Previously owned the place back in the early 90s. Way before my time. According to this there's no family on record. The house is currently owned by a holding company in the city centre. We only look after the site for them. You'd have to ask them why they haven't done anything with it. I can show you around inside if you want. Just let me know whenever's good for you.'

The woman in the reception area looks at Michael without any apparent suspicion. 'Professor Thompson's office is on the top floor. You can't miss it.' She'll glance at something on the wall that Michael can't see. 'He should be on a free period at the moment. His last class only just finished.'

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the delay. Long story.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael does his best to mentally record the name Mary Catty. "Well I appreciate you sharing the holding company's name and contact with me anyways," Michael says after the man gives him the information (assuming this happens as previously requested). To the offer on the tour, he replies, "Absolutely. Maybe we can set something up for tomorrow afternoon? I am busy today, and will likely have to do it after work tomorrow." He lies primarily just so as not to sound too desperate, and to make sure he has time to take care of his current plans today.

"Perfect, thank you so much," Michael replies to the receptionist without losing a beat. He turns to the stairwell or elevator and takes it to the top floor. Once at the top, Michael will look for a plaque indicating Professor Malcom Thompson's office, and will knock on the door. Speaking so that he can be heard from inside, he calls, "Professor Thompson, I'm sorry to bother you, but I was hoping to meet with you for a minute."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

The man on the phone gives the company name as Finch Ireland and passes on their address and phone number. He'll also offer to show Michael around the house at 2pm tomorrow if he's available.

--------------------

On the way upstairs Michael is obliged to ease past groups of students that are heading for the main door after their seminars. Before Michael gets to that floor his Geist is already standing on the landing in front of Professor Thompson's office. It is watching the door attentively but will let Michael take the lead. None of the passing students seem to notice it standing there. A voice will respond to Michael's knock, 'Yes I suppose you'd better come in.' Michael isn't an expert but there are plenty of English people in Belfast and the man sounds vaguely like a BBC annoucer. 'My friend made me aware of your friend as soon as you entered the building. I take it we need to have a chat?'

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael pauses for a moment. Taking his time to register what the Professor was saying. There was a certain excitement to what he was about to do, but at the same time, a certain dread. What was he about to learn? What would he say? What if the Professor hated him, or had some reason to judge him???

Michael pushes all these doubts out of his mind, putting on his best salesman smile. He pushes the door and walks into the room. "Well... uh, thank you for being willing to meet with me then," he says as he enters the room, eager to offer a firm handshake to The Professor if it seemed "right". He'll add once the door is closed, "I'm Michael. I'm sorry to bother you. A, uh, friend told me you might know a bit about what I'm going through."

With that, Michael will do his best to take in the Professor's office. Was it filled with obscure necromantic artifacts? Tombs of underworld knowledge?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

There are a lot of books in Professor Thompson's office, but if any of them contain unusual knowledge it's not obvious from looking at them. Most of the free spaces around the office walls are filled with large bookcases and a pair of arm chairs. Some of the shelves are filled with modern looking softback copies of what looks like history and literature textbooks that are organised without any apparent system. Other shelves contain more carefully arranged older looking hardback books in archaic looking green covers that seem to be part of a series. A single bookcase close to the Professor's desk is filled with black stationary folders that appear to be organised in order of date. A large desk dominates one end of the room below a window that looks out onto the main building of the university. On the desk is an old looking desktop PC surrounded by more folders, stacks of paperwork and an electric kettle.

Professor Thompson himself is sitting on one of a group of folding chairs that are set up around a round table in the middle of the room that was obviously intended for student use. He appears to be typing something into an old Nokia phone as Michael enters. The Professor is a tall man with short grey hair, black glasses and a brown suit. He looks like the type of person that might be cast to play an academic in a movie. There is something...odd about the Professor even as Michael looks at him. Somehow the space around him seems to flicker like a candle flame.

After Michael speaks the Professor will put down his phone and get up to shake Michael's hand. 'Welcome. You're American aren't you? What can I do to help?' He regards Michael with obvious curiousity before motioning for him to sit down. 'I don't know you to see but I don't know everyone and the Necropolitans always did like to recruit as widely as possible. But if you were with them surely someone would have told you to phone ahead. I don't usually bite but my friend has a tendency to be grumpy when he's been surprised.' He'll watch Michael for a few moments to assess whether he seemed to understand what the Professor was talking about. 'Unless of course you're new.' That will prompt him to get up and close the door. In the process Michael will notice that there is a a very pale man now sitting in one of the arm chairs on the other side of the room. The man is wearing a faded and old fashioned military uniform that might be reminiscent of the First World War. The second man will only watch Michael with an emotionless impression. The Professor will return to the table, 'Don't worry about him. He's mostly harmless unless you do something to deserve it. Now tell me, how long has it been since you died?'

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael allows himself to gaze in wonder around the room. It never stopped to impress him how much more seriously academics were taken outside of America. No college professor would ever have this much space in an office stateside, and of course The Professor's collection of nick nacks and artifacts was impressive. Michael knows enough not to touch anything, and sits down when invited.

To the first question Michael will reply, "Yes. I'm from Boston actually, but I've been here almost ten years now." He sighs once the Professor has finished allowing himself a moment to collect his thought and organize the thousands of questions he had for the man. Once ready, Michael will say, "Yes, I am um... newly deceased; if you can call it that." He pauses for a moment to look down at his hands, reminding himself that he's still flesh and blood. "I don't even know what the Necropolitans are... if that's what you said. I'm still trying to figure this all out, and I think you're the first other Sin Eater, that's what we're called, right, uh that I've heard about," Michael could feel the words just dribbling out of his mouth but felt like he couldn't help himself. "Anyways, this is the Burned Man," he says, referring to his Geist, the charred smoking corpse that simply stood behind his chair, "and well, we could use any help we could get." Michael stares at The Professor, earnest hope on his face.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

The Professor's Geist stares at the Burned Man with a suspicious expression, while the Burned Man largely ignores his counterpart.

'Boston? I went to a conference there once. I'd expect it would look a little different to you now if you were to go back there.' The Professor doesn't elaborate on that but seems to register Michael's expression. 'I wouldn't worry too much about the implications. Technically I'm dead as well. It's surprisingly common if you move in the right circles. The important thing is that if you're lucky you get to carry on regardless. Just with a few more obligations. I suppose I should ask you if anyone knows about your death? I have known people like us who have come back after being already pronounced dead. It does tend to complicate things.'

He will add, 'The Necropolitans are a...social club of the living and the dead. They like to make sure everyone gets to feel included whenever possible. Aside from the really anti-social, most Sin-Eaters tend to have krewes of like minded individuals to help each other out. It's nice to have others like us to rely on in an emergency, but the Necropolitans tend to throw the best parties and they will let most people in as long as you haven't upset anyone.'

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Oh cool," Michael says almost quizzically, despite himself, quickly adding, "There's A LOT more of us? Wow. Uh, how many? Are there groups other than the Necropolitans than?" Michael's face turns flushed, and he adds, "Sorry for all the questions."

To the Professor's pointed question, he shakes his head and replies hastily, "No, not really. I have one friend who suspects something... sort of, but I don't think she's out there declaring me arisen from the dead." Michael pauses for a moment and then says almost apologetically, "It's... something I'll take care of though."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

The Professor takes the question seriously, 'Oh we're everywhere people are. Not everyone who dies comes back of course, and I don't think anyone could give you numbers, but there are enough of us that you can usually find help if you need it.'

On the Necropolitans, 'The Necropolitans are only the largest group of us in the city. Liking a drink is often the main qualification for joining so they have by far the most members. But those of us here at the University have our own group and there are one or two other smaller krewes out there. I've heard there are those of us who were associated with one or another group of the Paramilitaries back during the Troubles. I can't say I have reason to speak with those sort of people but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are still around.' Michael was aware that the Troubles had been over in theory since the late 90s, but the remnants of it were everywhere. There was graffiti for the technically a terriorist group UVF at the end of Michael's street.

On Lisa, 'So then this person saw you afterwards? I would say if you haven't seen anyone official over it already then you might get by. It's difficult to prove anything when you're up and walking around. You might want to decide how you want to approach her though.'

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Michael listens intently to the Professor talk about the Necropolitans and the other smaller "Krewes", doing his best to try to hold onto the information which seems so precious to him. He nods his head and when the Professor is finished says with attempted ease, "I guess I should probably introduce myself at some point then, right?" He shrugs, and if no offer is made will proceed to ask, "Is there any chance you would... be willing to introduce me?"

He turns sheepish over the conversation regarding Lisa. Michael gives an embarrassed shrug and says, "Yeah, yeah. I... uh, have been meaning to get to that. I was actually thinking of touching base with her after seeing you, depending on how things went, of course."

Michael will look over to the Burned Man, trying to get a sense for what the Geist was "thinking"... or feeling, or whatever.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2023-07-08 at 07:08 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

'I don't see why not,' the Professor responded amiably. 'I believe there's a birthday party happening at the John Hewitt tomorrow evening.' The John Hewitt was a bar in the Cathedral Quarter district of the city centre. 'But there's usually some of them around most nights. You could almost pick a bar at random and you'll be likely to run into someone.' He'll take an old looking phone out of his suit pocket. 'We might as well exchange numbers anyway. Just so you have someone to call in case you have any problems.'

On Lisa, 'Well unfortunately I can't give you much advice on how to handle your friend, but I would recommend you avoid telling them about the rest of us. It's not really a hard and fast rule but most people see it as a lot to take in all at once.'

While the two 'living' men had been talking, the Burned Man had been looking at the books in the Professor's office, although Michael had the sense that he had been listening attentively the whole time. There was also a sense of amusement that was likely tied to the Professor's Geist that had been watching the Burned Man from his chair with an obvious expression of suspicion.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Thank you so much," Michael will say sincerely at the offer, and he willingly trades phone numbers. He nods his head solemnly at the Professor's remarks on Lisa, and says, "I understand."

He gives his Geist one last wary glance, before standing up from his seat. "Well, I really appreciate your time," Michael says, "and your help. I get the sense I've taken up enough of your time." Unless the Professor has more to say, he will offer to leave while providing every pleasantry befitting the context of their conversation, and will then head to Lisa's.

(OOC: Happy to move on, unless the professor has more to say)
    Show