New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Astoundingly Assonant Random Banter #240

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Agreed that a beer with mostly balanced hops and malts is a good starting point, though. To new beer drinkers, I usually recommend something like a golden or amber ale, or a vienna lager.
    I would have thought you'd recommend an IPA or something, what with how you hate things being sweetened, and since hops makes things less sweet (and thus, presumably, objectively better by your standards)
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2022-10-01 at 07:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Un-licenseded. I forget what the term is for doctors!! He has been de-doctor'd.
    I don't think there's a technical term for doctors. At least, I've never heard one, and I work in Health. It's just having your license revoked, from what I've seen. (And even then, you're still a Dr. unless the institution that grants you your PhD revokes that. You just can't practice medicine.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh? I'm not familiar with that one.
    A shot each of Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, and John Jameson.

A common variant replaces the Jameson with Jose Quervo.

A variation of that variation replaces the Jim Beam with Captain Morgan, so you've got Jack, Johnny, Jose, and the Captain.

There's also a variation made with Captain Morgan, Goldslager, Jaegermeister, and Rumple Minze.

Then you get varaitions like "Four Horseman Go Hunting" which is the four whiskey blend with a shot of Wild Turkey added, or the "Four Horseman Go Out To Sea" which is Jim, Jack, Johnny, Jose, and The Captain.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #544

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I don't think there's a technical term for doctors. At least, I've never heard one, and I work in Health. It's just having your license revoked, from what I've seen. (And even then, you're still a Dr. unless the institution that grants you your PhD revokes that. You just can't practice medicine.)
    Coulda swore there was a term for it...

======

I finally updated my art program and now I have access to mirrored brush modes and stuff. I may or may not have entered a fugue state and did some art.

You can see the art here! It's something from Cursed World! It's a tease from me to you!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everyone. I'm celebrating the month of the dragons.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

6. - Top - End - #546

So we got the small cat fixed yesterday. They gave us a number and then stuck a sticker on her head so they'd be sure that they'd give us back the right cat and when we got her home we couldn't get the sticker off.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I do think certain drinks have very unfortunate or creepy names, but that's a whole other issue.

Like, as a mild thing, my favorite drink is called a Painkiller. It's just a Pina Colada with Orange Juice instead of lime Juice, why does it have such a terrible name?
    Tequila sunrise for me. Great drink, great name, great visual, even great origin story. It's a perfect drink.
    The concept of girly and manly drinks is dumb.
    Agreed. Everything I drink is a manly drink by definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I can't find any sources for Avogadro's Number that specify all the digits. They all approximate it to the nearest quadriliion, and sometimes round it off even more.
    That's because it's an estimate, and once numbers get to a certain level of specificity, you reach diminishing returns really quickly. For example, pi famously has had its value estimated to billions of sigfigs, but functionally, we could have stopped before 50.

For Avocado Avogrado's Number, it's not really famous enough outside of dedicated STEM to encourage the same level of hype around it as pi (largely due to pi being used in just, like, everything), so you have fewer people trying to come up with better estimations out to more sigfigs. Take 6.022×10 23 and you're close enough for anything you need it for.

Also, since you asked, I looked into it and it looks like we have it estimated our to 10 sigfigs. Way more than you'll ever need for any practical purpose. But if you have the time and inclination, you can try to take it the pi route and get some equipment to try to take that number out farther!
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    MD. Docs can have PhD.s, and like half the ones in Birmingham do, but the terminal degree in medicine is MD.
    Coulda swore there was a term for it...
    There is, it just doesn't roll off the tongue. "License revoked".
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So we got the small cat fixed yesterday. They gave us a number and then stuck a sticker on her head so they'd be sure that they'd give us back the right cat and when we got her home we couldn't get the sticker off.
    They couldn't just scan the chip?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-02 at 07:51 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    For Avocado Avogrado's Number
    Yeah, you don't want to get those two mixed up.

For the record, avacado's number is 482226653.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Ha! I'll have to remember that one.
    Just don't use it on Germany

There are a lot of different kinds of lagers, only one or two varieties of which are typically given the dubious honour of piss-tasting-like (light/pale lagers, in particular). But hey, you like what you like.

"Ale" is a fairly generic term - you're likely to confuse people unless you narrow it down a bit.
    Agreed that a beer with mostly balanced hops and malts is a good starting point, though. To new beer drinkers, I usually recommend something like a golden or amber ale, or a vienna lager.
    I only have my personal experience to go on with lagers, which has mainly consisted of bad brands and German beers (which are just not what I like in a beer). I'm sure there's good lagers out there, but over here it's much easier to get good ale.

With regards to the German lager I've had, I can see why people like it. It's very much not my thing, but I can see the appeal.

With regards to what ales I'd push them towards, I mostly have stuff I'd advise against. Defensively do not start on a best bitter.

Hooray for controlling your pet's reproduction! It's probably not the method I would have chosen, and I despise the term fixed*, but good on you for being responsible.

* The kitty is definitely not working as intended.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

I would have thought you'd recommend an IPA or something, what with how you hate things being sweetened, and since hops makes things less sweet (and thus, presumably, objectively better by your standards)
    While you're not wrong that my favorite style of beer is very bitter (russian imperial stout), I'm actually not a huge fan of IPAs. They're good every once in a while and I end up ordering them from time to time because they're so popular here in the states (probably because they're easy to make), but in general I tend to prefer darker beers with a bit more malt flavor.

Regardless of my own personal tastes (which do tend towards the extremes, as I've noticed), I prefer not to recommend the absolute extremes to newbies. Sometimes it's a valid strategy, but it's easier to give context to everything else when there's a "baseline" to compare against, you know? (Plus, they're more likely to actually like the stuff if you don't start them off with, say, the most bitter variety of beer).

Also, "bitterness" isn't mutually exclusive with "sweetness". While most IPAs (and most pale ales in general, for that matter) aren't particularly sweet, some actually are. (And unrelated to beer, "bittersweet" happens to be my preferred variety of chocolate).

I'm impressed that you remembered I tend to prefer less-sweetened foods, but it doesn't mean I hate them. After spending my teenage years eating and drinking a lot of terribly sweet things (to the detriment of my dental health) it's just much less appealing, though I do still indulge from time to time.

A shot each of Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, and John Jameson.

A common variant replaces the Jameson with Jose Quervo.

There's also a variation made with Captain Morgan, Goldslager, Jaegermeister, and Rumple Minze.

Then you get varaitions like "Four Horseman Go Hunting" which is the four whiskey blend with a shot of Wild Turkey added, or the "Four Horseman Go Out To Sea" which is Jim, Jack, Johnny, Jose, and The Captain.
    Ah yes, "four shots of cheap whiskey", my favorite mixed drink. (I do remember hearing about this drink now; thank you)

I've heard of the one with Jose, though it was only spoken of in disgust. Presumably it's better with nicer tequila, but then, why mix the nice stuff?

That sounds interesting. I'm not convinced it would be good (at least peppermint and licorice kind of go together), but I would try it for science.

I remember hearing of one that was essentially a whole paragraph, just to include all of the different liquors available at the average bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Hooray for controlling your pet's reproduction! It's probably not the method I would have chosen, and I despise the term fixed*, but good on you for being responsible.

* The kitty is definitely not working as intended.
    It's a weird euphemism, for sure, though it's easier than remembering whether the correct term is 'spayed' or 'neutered'. (Google? What's that?)

Sounds like you need a solvent! (assuming you haven't fixed (ha) the sticker problem already). Not sure whether it would irritate the cat's skin, but rubbing alcohol is pretty easy to wash off yourself and the cat.
    A few odds and ends.

11. - Top - End - #551

I remember hearing of one that was essentially a whole paragraph, just to include all of the different liquors available at the average bar.
    There's one that's less of a cocktail and more of a drinking game, called Phone number.

You get ten differant strong, distilled liquors, label them 0-9, and pour a shot for each digit of your phone number.

Anotherone is... I forget the name of the cocktail, but it's like a shot each of tequila and tabasco mixed with a tablespoon of brown sugar. But it's partof a drinking game where you order a round of it for the table but one is just a glass of tabasco, no booze, no sugar.

You start the night that way and whoever's mouth gets burned is the designated driver.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    if you have the time and inclination, you can try to take it the pi route and get some equipment to try to take that number out farther!
    I actually couldn't, because no explanation I've found of what the number represents has been comprehensible to me. They all make it sound like someone picked a really large number arbitrarily with no relation to any actual physical constants.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Bugbear in the Playground

You get ten differant strong, distilled liquors, label them 0-9, and pour a shot for each digit of your phone number.

Anotherone is... I forget the name of the cocktail, but it's like a shot each of tequila and tabasco mixed with a tablespoon of brown sugar. But it's partof a drinking game where you order a round of it for the table but one is just a glass of tabasco, no booze, no sugar.
    Those sound like awful cocktails, though at least the first one allows for lots of variety.

Sometimes life's like a mix of randomly chosen strong liquors, you never know* what you're gonna get.

*But it'll be disgusting. You'll know that.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

I actually couldn't, because no explanation I've found of what the number represents has been comprehensible to me. They all make it sound like someone picked a really large number arbitrarily with no relation to any actual physical constants.
    Yes, that's the idea. It's just to make big numbers more manageable. Like you know how in chemistry you often measure things in "moles per liter"? One mole is "one Avogadro number worth of molecules of [whatever you are measuring]".
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

If you want deliberately unpleasant alcohol

-Malort. They brag about how they were able to get away with selling it during prohibition because any cop who tried it said "No one would drink this recreationally." They brag about this on their website

-The Concrete mixer: A shot that is equal parts Bailey's Irish Cream and lime juice.

16. - Top - End - #556

If you want deliberately unpleasant alcohol

-Malort. They brag about how they were able to get away with selling it during prohibition because any cop who tried it said "No one would drink this recreationally." They brag about this on their website

-The Concrete mixer: A shot that is equal parts Bailey's Irish Cream and lime juice.
    Malort amuses me greatly because like, there's no irony too it. They're clearly not doing it tongue in cheek. It's ram rod straight.

That second one could very easily kill a person from the bad combination of tastes, I'd reckon. Funny prank to pull on my mom though, she loves Bailey's...
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-10-02 at 01:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Malort amuses me greatly because like, there's no irony too it. They're clearly not doing it tongue in cheek. It's ram rod straight.

That second one could very easily kill a person from the bad combination of tastes, I'd reckon. Funny prank to pull on my mom though, she loves Bailey's...
    I would imagine the texture would also be a killer, since the lime juice will curdle the Bailey's almost immediately.

It's not called "The Concrete Mixer" for nothing.

18. - Top - End - #558

If you want a way to experimentally determine Avogadro's number yourself without a terribly large/expensive amount of equipment, here's one experiment.

If you want to see how we were able to close in on Avogadro's number as far back as the early 1900's, here's one explanation:

If you want to know exactly how we were able to determine that number to start with, that's not as simply as you might be imagining and my understanding is we (or, at least, I; I don't know how many chemistry degrees you have or in what specializations) would need a significantly deeper knowledge base to understand the process, let alone the base concepts that went into it. While it's not a requirement by any means, Nobel Prizes in chemistry are typically not handed out to people for simple processes. You can even observe this in the speech given to present Perrin his Nobel.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-10-02 at 02:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes, that's the idea. It's just to make big numbers more manageable. Like you know how in chemistry you often measure things in "moles per liter"? One mole is "one Avogadro number worth of molecules of [whatever you are measuring]".
    Okay, but if it could be anything, why did they choose a number with nine arbitrary digits followed by fifteen zeroes instead of just making it exactly 10^24
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, but if it could be anything, why did they choose a number with nine arbitrary digits followed by fifteen zeroes instead of just making it exactly 10^24
    Apparently, If you express the molar mass of an atom, you get roughly the number of nucleons of the atom's core. Aluminum weighs approximately 27 g.mol-1 and its core is made up of 13 protons and 14 neutrons.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #561
    Firbolg in the Playground

Apparently, If you express the molar mass of an atom, you get roughly the number of nucleons of the atom's core. Aluminum weighs approximately 27 g.mol-1 and its core is made up of 13 protons and 14 neutrons.
    (Well, Al27 does. (And yes, I know the other aren't stable, but Al26 with its half-life measured in hundreds of millenia should kind of count.))

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Well, Al27 does. (And yes, I know the other aren't stable, but Al26 with its half-life measured in hundreds of millenia should kind of count.))
    And how much do you think Al26 weighs?
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #563
    Firbolg in the Playground

And how much do you think Al26 weighs?
    26 the-same-thing. Why?

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently, If you express the molar mass of an atom, you get roughly the number of nucleons of the atom's core.
    To expand a bit, Avogardo's number was chosen so that the number of grams in a mole of a chemical is roughly equal to the number of nucleons in a single molecule of the chemical. I imagine this is highly useful for determining reagents for chemical reactions on a large scale, as reaction formulae are based on the number of molecules involved and grams are a heck of a lot easier to measure.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I crammed a bunch of studying into the last few days (This was a lack of resources cramming, not procrastination cramming), but it let me pass the MS-900 as-of about 45 minutes ago so I'm in a pretty good mood, despite my Sunday being 90% shot.

The other 10% was decent relaxing, and watching the new Gundam series with my wonderful girlfriend, Zodi.

Was freaking out for a bit at the start because the program they use to proctor the exams was not working despite me testing earlier today.

Logged out of my work domain account (It was working on here earlier), logged into the local admin account, and it was fine from there.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2022-10-03 at 12:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566

Well, I crammed a bunch of studying into the last few days (This was a lack of resources cramming, not procrastination cramming), but it let me pass the MS-900 as-of about 45 minutes ago so I'm in a pretty good mood, despite my Sunday being 90% shot.

The other 10% was decent relaxing, and watching the new Gundam series with my wonderful girlfriend, Zodi.

Was freaking out for a bit at the start because the program they use to proctor the exams was not working despite me testing earlier today.

Logged out of my work domain account (It was working on here earlier), logged into the local admin account, and it was fine from there.
    HUZZAH! Congrats!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Baby bumblebees are called "larvae" and your mother probably won't be proud of you for killing them.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

28. - Top - End - #568

Congratulations love!

Also aww, I'm not THAT wonderful, gosh...

29. - Top - End - #569
    Bugbear in the Playground

Way back when I got my C# certificate the test computer froze up during the test. I think this happened to me twice and I actually had to come back another time to take the test again because they couldn't fix it at the time.

Anyway, congrats on getting another cert!

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations love!

Also aww, I'm not THAT wonderful, gosh...
    Stop selling yourself short, there are clearly at least 2 people who think you are. And that is the part that is important.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.