New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Astoundingly Assonant Random Banter #240

Theft isn't always a crime of premeditation, nor one motivated by financial gain.

Some people steal, just little things, just for the hell of it. You ever hear of someone shoplifting cigarette lighter even though they don't smoke? Same concept.

It's entirely possible that someone stole the bag just to be a ****.

And that's assuming a rational minded person. Some people have impulse control issues and there's always the posibility of kleptomania, a mental disorder where someone compulsively steals just... Whatever's on hand. Sometimes they don't reven realize they're doing it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Or maybe their own shopping bag ripped in the middle of the street.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway, I'm still on eHarmony in the dating field. I haven't been active that often because it requires money to get the option to talk to other people and I'm saving my money anyway to pursue doing it.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Or maybe their own shopping bag ripped in the middle of the street.
    Do not make excuses for this foul ruffian! This grand crime! This exceptional impoliteness!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    So anyway, I'm still on eHarmony in the dating field. I haven't been active that often because it requires money to get the option to talk to other people and I'm saving my money anyway to pursue doing it.
    I'd advise you to be careful with how much money you spend on this. These kind of things can easily become a time and money sink.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I'd advise you to be careful with how much money you spend on this. These kind of things can easily become a time and money sink.
    Thank you. I'll take your advice.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Sometimes the logic behind thefts is really odd - way back someone broke in to my car and the only thing they stole was the 2-gallon container of water. They left the toolkit and everything else there...
    Clearly you were robbed by a Fallout protagonist who still wanted to fast travel.

Also that's nine litres/kilos of water, they probably couldn't carry much else.

From what I've heard using paid dating sites makes your chance of a match higher, but has no real impact on the quality of your match. Really your best bets are 1) try to get as many matches as possible* and 2) don't be boring. Honestly number 2 is probably the bigger one in the long run, and I've been on both sides of that conversation.

I'll also note that the dating apps which basically serve as a small ads column are getting more popular, although I forget what the cis-het targeted one is called. Pretty much every LGBT person I know who's looking for dates is on Lex.

* This is really hard as it's difficult to know who you appeal to. Also you can't set a dating site to show you, for example, 'trans ND nerds'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #1297

Videogame with a time travel or non-linear time plot.

Late in the game, you find yourself back in the Tutorial level and end up setting up the challenges that you had to solve at the beginning of the game.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Late in the game, you find yourself back in the Tutorial level and end up setting up the challenges that you had to solve at the beginning of the game.
    I think something like that happens in Prince of Persia: the Warrior Within?
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I think something like that happens in Prince of Persia: the Warrior Within?
    Couldn't get into that one. Too dark, metal music didn't vibe with the setting, just didnt seem well done to me. Never got too far into it.

Caused a little confusion on the story of the third but I got over it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Only if there's an achievement for killing your past self. And anothsrfor killing your future self in the tutorial and then completing the game until the loop back (at which point your past self shoots you in the face).

As it is, game time travel plots rarely work that well. I kind of have up on The Legend of Zelda: Das Fluten Tuten after discovering that after every main dungeon I'd have to go to a specific point in the game world, travel back in time, do stuff to unlock the next dungeon, go back to that point, go forwards in time, and then I could actually unlock the dungeon. At least Oracle of Ages spread time travel points around the map, and eventually let you time travel anywhere. It's really best when it's mostly an excuse to mash level themes together.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #1301

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I kind of gave up on The Legend of Zelda: Das Fluten Tuten after discovering that after every main dungeon I'd have to go to a specific point in the game world, travel back in time, do stuff to unlock the next dungeon, go back to that point, go forwards in time, and then I could actually unlock the dungeon.
    Sounds like someone who never refused to pull the statue in Goron Village and instead jumped into the volcano with the longshot like a real Hylian.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

Sadly, this means that my beloved 1970’s British motorcycle “Bonnie” (the successful kickstarting of which involves stubbornness, prayer, and a picture of the late Queen) must now be parked outside in the salt air which won’t be good for it.
    I've never even ridden a motorbike, but I've kind of wanted a Bonnie for ages. Kudos.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

13. - Top - End - #1303

That feel when you realize that you've watched DBZA more than the actual DBZ.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Titan in the Playground

That feel when you realize that you've watched DBZA more than the actual DBZ.
    Yeah.

Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah. I think I realized this at least a year ago.

Also that feel when you've only experienced SAO through its abridged series, that feel when most of the reason you like WH40k is because of fan content, and that feel when you only know superheroes through superhero comic adjacent media and not through reading any actual comic books.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

That feel when you know the Knights of the Round Tables through books and movies and stuff rather than listening to Welsh bards around campfires.

This is a normal feature of culture. Don't gatekeep your own enjoyment of stories.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #1306

That feel when you know the Knights of the Round Tables through books and movies and stuff rather than listening to Welsh bards around campfires.
    You realize that all you've done is add "become fluent in ancient welsh" and "perfect time travel" to my to-do list, yes?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #1307

You realize that all you've done is add "become fluent in ancient welsh" and "perfect time travel" to my to-do list, yes?
    I think the time travel would be easier. Heck, the Welsh doesn't even need to be ancient.

18. - Top - End - #1308

MindFlayer

Oddly, Wikipedia says that the first known appearance of the Round Table in writing is from a poet who wasn't Welsh, or even Breton, but rather was born in Jersey. (But spent most of his life in mainland Normandy)

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Oddly, Wikipedia says that the first known appearance of the Round Table in writing is from a poet who wasn't Welsh, or even Breton, but rather was born in Jersey. (But spent most of his life in mainland Normandy)
    The Knights were there before the Table (or knighthood, for that matter).
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-11-16 at 06:56 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway a woman replies to me on Facebook Dating and we talk about it a bit. I told her about my hobbies and her reply said I sound like a teenager. I told her that I'm 37 years old and I have hobbies. I mean adults playing Pokemon at their age. She said it was not a bad thing. I don't sense any real connection with this woman. What does everyone else think?

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Titan in the Playground

This is a normal feature of culture. Don't gatekeep your own enjoyment of stories.
    well, for SAO the feel is more that I'm thankful for missing the original thing, for 40k its more I'm thankful for things that are not the wargame because while I'm discovering that I'm an Eldar fan I do really not want to spend money on getting actual models or play the game even though Eldar look cool, and superheroes well.....I do wish I could get into them more but at the same time I'm recognizing that some pieces of pop culture are like the sun or a campfire: provide warmth when you experience them from a distance but you don't want to actually touch them or get near them, so you enjoy what radiation they give off by gradually figuring out what stuff is the best and what everyonet hat is a fan of the genre or thing, loves so you go view that while ignoring all the bad stuff so even if I do get more into superhero comics that probably what I'd end up doing anyways: just figuring out all the complete standalone stories everyone likes and recommends and just going for those without getting too deep into the weeds and storylines.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-11-16 at 10:57 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #1312

well, for SAO the feel is more that I'm thankful for missing the original thing, for 40k its more I'm thankful for things that are not the wargame because while I'm discovering that I'm an Eldar fan I do really not want to spend money on getting actual models or play the game even though Eldar look cool, and superheroes well.....I do wish I could get into them more but at the same time I'm recognizing that some pieces of pop culture are like the sun or a campfire: provide warmth when you experience them from a distance but you don't want to actually touch them or get near them, so you enjoy what radiation they give off by gradually figuring out stuff is the best and what everyone of the genre and thing loves so you go view that while ignoring all the bad stuff so even if I do get more into superhero comics that probably what I'd end up doing anyways: just figuring out all the complete standalone stories everyone likes and recommends and just going for those without getting too deep into the weeds and storylines.
    Honestly that sounds like the best way to engage this sorta stuff.

23. - Top - End - #1313

So anyway a woman replies to me on Facebook Dating and we talk about it a bit. I told her about my hobbies and her reply said I sound like a teenager. I told her that I'm 37 years old and I have hobbies. I mean adults playing Pokemon at their age. She said it was not a bad thing. I don't sense any real connection with this woman. What does everyone else think?
    On the one hand, it seems like she is making a major judgement about you and it sounds negative. It doesn't sound like a nice thing to say to someone of your age.

On the other hand, your writing style on this forum does seem to be a little simplistic. If you are using the same writing style in chatting with her, and that is all she knows of you, that may be having an effect on her image of you.

I can try and explain what I mean later, if you're interested, I've just got to run off to do school pickup.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    On the one hand, it seems like she is making a major judgement about you and it sounds negative. It doesn't sound like a nice thing to say to someone of your age.

On the other hand, your writing style on this forum does seem to be a little simplistic. If you are using the same writing style in chatting with her, and that is all she knows of you, that may be having an effect on her image of you.

I can try and explain what I mean later, if you're interested, I've just got to run off to do school pickup.
    Well, I told her I have ADHD/Autism then she blocked me after that. I knew there wasn't any romantic connection with her anyway. So hopefully I get a better shot at eHarmony.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I told her I have ADHD/Autism then she blocked me after that. I knew there wasn't any romantic connection with her anyway. So hopefully I get a better shot at eHarmony.
    I would definitely try to continue working on your grammar. The woman from Facebook sounds like a jerk if they blocked you after mentioning ADHD/Autism, but...

To be perfectly honest Bartmanhomer, if I did not know any better, and we were interacting over the internet for the first time, based off your grammar and interests I would assume you're a child.

This is not intended to be a dig at you or your hobbies, just an observation about the way you present yourself. You have a childlike enthusiasm about many things traditionally thought of as for kids (which again, is not inherently bad), but combined with your grammar it creates kind of an awkward picture for anyone looking for a romantic interest.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

smile Re: Anonymouswizard's Astoundingly Assonant Random Banter #240

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I would try to continue working on your grammar. The woman from Facebook sounds like a jerk if they blocked you after mentioning ADHD/Autism, but...

To be perfectly honest Bartmanhomer, if I did not know any better, and we were interacting over the internet for the first time, based on your grammar and interests I would assume you're a child.

This is not intended to be a dig at you or your hobbies, just an observation about the way you present yourself. You have a childlike enthusiasm about many things traditionally thought of as for kids (which again, is not inherently bad), but combined with your grammar it creates kind of an awkward picture for anyone looking for a romantic interest.
    Even if my grammar was the case, I knew the very moment that woman was a jerk. I was being honest with myself and yes I do have a childlike enthusiasm but at the end of the day, I was being who I am. Also, most of these women on Facebook Dating are full of scammers and insecure jerks who want to have a one-night stand. The last woman before her, I ask what her hobbies are and she blocked me. Like seriously what the hell?

27. - Top - End - #1317

Even if my grammar was the case, I knew the very moment that woman was a jerk. I was being honest with myself and yes I do have a childlike enthusiasm but at the end of the day, I was being who I am. Also, most of these women on Facebook Dating are full of scammers and insecure jerks who want to have a one-night stand. The last woman before her, I ask what her hobbies are and she blocked me. Like seriously what the hell?
    It's unfortunate that they didn't give you a chance . And yes, you will find a lot of scammers on any platform, as well as people who are looking for a date and not a relationship.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to hear that you have ADHD and autism. So does my daughter, and your writing style reminds me very much of hers. She's 8 though... I have ADHD only.

Your enthusiasm is great, and I certainly think that being your authentic self is important, especially when considering dating. When I say your writing style is simplistic, I actually mean something different. Here is the impression I get:

- You are happy to share your opinions
    - You have learnt how to list the positive and negative aspects of something, and how to give a short description.
    - You are interested in others' opinions and actively ask for them
    - You acknowledge other people's ideas.

What I don't see a lot of in your writing is

- Engagement with other people's ideas. You can agree or disagree with them, but the interesting part will always be why, and you don't often elaborate. If you agree with them, does that change your opinion, and how?
    - Explanation and exploration of ideas. Can you back up your opinions with facts? Can you give details to explain your opinions? Can you make connections between other ideas and the subjects you are writing about? Do you have any life experiences that might be relevant to your topic?
    - Nuance, which requires conjecture and imagination. Can you imagine multiple points of view on a topic? Can there be more than one possible explanation for why something happens? Are there other possible reactions to a situation? And then - once we acknowledge that there is usually not one "right" point of view - what part of you pulls you towards one idea over another?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    unfortunately, they didn't give you a chance. And yes, you will find a lot of scammers on any platform, as well as people who are looking for a date and not a relationship.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to hear that you have ADHD and autism. So does my daughter, and your writing style reminds me very much of hers. She's 8 though... I have ADHD only.

Your enthusiasm is great, and I certainly think that being your authentic self is important, especially when considering dating. When I say your writing style is simplistic, I mean something different. Here is the impression I get:

- You are happy to share your opinions
    - You have learned how to list the positive and negative aspects of something, and how to give a short description.
    - You are interested in others' opinions and actively ask for them
    - You acknowledge other people's ideas.

What I don't see a lot of in your writing is

- Engagement with other people's ideas. You can agree or disagree with them, but the interesting part will always be why, and you don't often elaborate. If you agree with them, does that change your opinion, and how?
    - Explanation and exploration of ideas. Can you back up your opinions with facts? Can you give details to explain your opinions? Can you make connections between other ideas and the subjects you are writing about? Do you have any life experiences that might be relevant to your topic?
    - Nuance, which requires conjecture and imagination. Can you imagine multiple points of view on a topic? Can there be more than one possible explanation for why something happens? Are there other possible reactions to a situation? And then - once we acknowledge that there is usually not one "right" point of view - what part of you pulls you towards one idea over another?
    Thank you for your constructive criticism of my writing style. I'm trying to increase my vocabulary so I could be a bit more intellectual and fluent in English. Also, I'm very high functioning and I want to become more independent so I could live in an apartment on my own. Here are a few things that you may or may not know about me:

I used to have a serious anger problem and I have been in the psych ward twice. I got so much help with my old-day treatment program and medication helped me a lot that was back in the early 2010s. I used to be 5% happy and 95% angry. But now I'm 95% happy and 5% angry. I do get upset but not that much anymore. Also, I work as an archivist and sometimes receptionist and I've been working at the job for 6 years. (January will be 7 years.) I enjoy my job. I have great co-workers and supervisors. That is about it if you have any other questions. I'll be very happy to answer.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2022-11-17 at 01:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Titan in the Playground

You know what? Wales is only a train ride away, so I might do that!

The Knights were there before the Table (or knighthood, for that matter).
    King Arthur and the lords of the really big firepit!

...that sounds like an actual pulp serial. Crazed volcano cultists attack Camelot, so Arthur and Gawain have to travel to their temple and beat up the high priest. It finally gets resolved when Gawain corks the volcano.

And yes, I know that they likely just had a normal table. I also really need to get back to The Warlord Chronicles.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1320

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You know what? Wales is only a train ride away, so I might do that!
    Isn't the entirety of Continental Europe only a train ride away?