New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Astoundingly Assonant Random Banter #240

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ....you should really know the name of the company you work for by the time you start working for them. Let alone seven years in.
    If google is correct, which I admit is a big if, the name is now just the acronym and it no longer stands for anything.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-11-24 at 03:31 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If google is correct, which I admit is a big if, the name is now just the acronym and it no longer stands for anything.
    It's an acronym now.

So anyway my Thanksgiving is turning out great. My older brother is cooking food as usual and I was watching the Macy Thanksgiving Parade on TV. I was going to the parade but I didn't feel like going because of this silly pandemic but I don't think people are still talking about the pandemic that much anymore. Next year, I'm going to the parade.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2022-11-24 at 03:39 PM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Colossus in the Playground

The homemade cranberry sauce turned out absolutely perfectly.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The homemade cranberry sauce turned out absolutely perfectly.
    Yum. That sounds good.

5. - Top - End - #1415

I'm watching training videos at work to pass time and so far 11 minutes of this hour long video is "the people setting up the training video get distracted discussing actual work stuff" and this is beautiful chaos.

They edit these. These are edited. They could have fixed this.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm watching training videos at work to pass time and so far 11 minutes of this hour long video is "the people setting up the training video get distracted discussing actual work stuff" and this is beautiful chaos.

They edit these. These are edited. They could have fixed this.
    They are training your tolerance for irrelevant nonsense, a most useful quality in the workplace.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They are training your tolerance for irrelevant nonsense, a most useful quality in the workplace.
    ...I just realised why I never get promoted.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Here is something that you don't know about me:

I don't like funerals even though I've never been to a funeral in my entire life. The reason why I don't like funerals it's a triggered warning for me. I don't think I can't handle keeping my emotions in check. It's very sad to me.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

This morning I woke up at the new place (that has views of the Inner Sea and the River Hlal) alone for the first time.

Went to meet my roommate and bring her a wool blanket over to her house/pet-sitting gig, then we had Thanksgiving coffee together in an expensive suburb south of Lankhmar damn it’s nice there!

Picked up some food and headed over the bridge to spend some days with my wife and the kids.

Got a good raise this year thanks to my union while rents haven’t gone up.

Most excitedly: got word this last month from her doctors that my roommate’s remaining tumors are benign and not growing, chemotherapy for her has been canceled with a check back in six months; she walks with a cane now but she can walk again.

Things could be worse.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #1420

Jokes on them I've worked in a law office for fourish years prior to this, I can handle any of that easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    This morning I woke up at the new place (that has views of the Inner Sea and the River Hlal) alone for the first time.

Went to meet my roommate and bring her a wool blanket over to her house/pet-sitting gig, then we had Thanksgiving coffee together in an expensive suburb south of Lankhmar damn it’s nice there!

Picked up some food and headed over the bridge to spend some days with my wife and the kids.

Got a good raise this year thanks to my union while rents haven’t gone up.

Most excitedly: got word this last month from her doctors that my roommate’s remaining tumors are benign and not growing, chemotherapy for her has been canceled with a check back in six months; she walks with a cane now but she can walk again.

Things could be worse.
    I'm glad things are turning upways for you.

11. - Top - End - #1421

In the short story The Monkey's Paw, the titular paw exists to teach people not to defy fate... By giving them horrific consequences for everything they wish for.

Wish for 200 pounds? You get it as compensation after a loved one is horribly mangled to death in a workplace accident. Wish them back to life, they come back as a horribly mutilated corpse man. The only wish that doesn't get warped is the one where you wish to undo a previous wish. (and thats assuming that the wife going mad with grief was natural.)

It's meant to show humility but... This isn't just some random naturally occurring phenomenon. This is a talisman created by a fakir in order to teach that lesson.

The horrific consequences of making a wish aren't the result of fate punishing hubris... They're the result of the fakir who created the talisman being an *******. The act of trying to teach the lesson undermined the lesson.

...Semi-related: What would 200 pounds in 1902 translate to today? I'm having a hell of a time finding an inflation chart that'll just tell me in plain English and I never could figure out whether or not asking for 200 pounds was all that much.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

A bit under Ł20,000 today. So about 64USD

More seriously, a bit under Ł20,000, so about a year's wages for the poorest in society. It's a significant amount, but nothing amazing. Closer to upgrading your kitchen than buying a house.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

In the short story The Monkey's Paw, the titular paw exists to teach people not to defy fate... By giving them horrific consequences for everything they wish for.

Wish for 200 pounds? You get it as compensation after a loved one is horribly mangled to death in a workplace accident. Wish them back to life, they come back as a horribly mutilated corpse man. The only wish that doesn't get warped is the one where you wish to undo a previous wish. (and thats assuming that the wife going mad with grief was natural.)

It's meant to show humility but... This isn't just some random naturally occurring phenomenon. This is a talisman created by a fakir in order to teach that lesson.

The horrific consequences of making a wish aren't the result of fate punishing hubris... They're the result of the fakir who created the talisman being an *******. The act of trying to teach the lesson undermined the lesson.

...Semi-related: What would 200 pounds in 1902 translate to today? I'm having a hell of a time finding an inflation chart that'll just tell me in plain English and I never could figure out whether or not asking for 200 pounds was all that much.
    How is that meant to show humility?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #1424

How is that meant to show humility?
    Error on my part, it's meant to teach humility.

The paw exists to punish hubris. Hubris being defined as "not being completly satisfied with your lot in life as is."

...Though the fact that the person who made the paw thinks that they have the right to judge people and punish them for what they decide is hubris breaks the moral, since that's also hubris.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

The paw exists to punish hubris. Hubris being defined as "not being completly satisfied with your lot in life as is."

...Though the fact that the person who made the paw thinks that they have the right to judge people and punish them for what they decide is hubris breaks the moral, since that's also hubris.
    That depends on the specifics of the spell, no? If the fakir earnestly believed that good things always have unintended prices, then he could simply have bewitched the paw to make wishes come true, confident in his wisdom that fate would attend to itself.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #1426

Yeah, that's not to teach humility or punish hubris. It's to teach to jot tempt fate.

17. - Top - End - #1427

That depends on the specifics of the spell, no? If the fakir earnestly believed that good things always have unintended prices, then he could simply have bewitched the paw to make wishes come true, confident in his wisdom that fate would attend to itself.
    Yeah, that's not to teach humility or punish hubris. It's to teach to jot tempt fate.
    It amounts to the same thing: "I received 200 pounds" does not innately have the consequence of "my son died so horribly that I had to identify him by his clothes."

That's not fate, that's the monkey's paw, and by extension that man who created it, being a jackass. Which undermines the moral.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1428

It amounts to the same thing: "I received 200 pounds" does not innately have the consequence of "my son died so horribly that I had to identify him by his clothes."

That's not fate, that's the monkey's paw, and by extension that man who created it, being a jackass. Which undermines the moral.
    It doesn't amount to the same thing at all.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

How do you know the difference between fate being a jackass and the monkey's paw's creator being a jackass? Do you know how the mechanism of the monkey's paw?

Yes there are ways to receive 200Ł without your son's death, but the point of the story, whether you agree to it or not, is that every boon comes at a price, in this case it was the son's death, but it could have been something else.

Your problem isn't with the magic of the paw, it's with the moral of the story.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #1430

How do you know the difference between fate being a jackass and the monkey's paw's creator being a jackass? Do you know how the mechanism of the monkey's paw?

Yes there are ways to receive 200Ł without your son's death, but the point of the story, whether you agree to it or not, is that every boon comes at a price, in this case it was the son's death, but it could have been something else.

Your problem isn't with the magic of the paw, it's with the moral of the story.
    The point of the story is that you should be content with your lot in life rather than having the hubris to tempt or defy fate.

The fakir who created the paw did so with the intent to teach humility and punish hubris. It tempts people with the promise of more and then wists their desires in the worst possible way.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

The point of the story is that you should be content with your lot in life rather than having the hubris to tempt or defy fate.

The fakir who created the paw did so with the intent to teach humility and punish hubris. It tempts people with the promise of more and then wists their desires in the worst possible way.
    Yes, I know the story. Nowhere does it imply the fakir wasn't content with his own lot in life or that he was wrong. You may think that that wanting your lot in life to improve is not wrong (and I would agree with you) but the story does not contradict itself the way you implied.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #1432

Yes, I know the story. Nowhere does it imply the fakir wasn't content with his own lot in life or that he was wrong. You may think that that wanting your lot in life to improve is not wrong (and I would agree with you) but the story does not contradict itself the way you implied.
    The contradiction is that the moral of the story talks about temping or defying fate.

But the very fact that the monkey's paw was deliberately made undermines the moral, because it's not "fate" punishing people's hubris, it's the monkey's paw.

It wasn't fated for the paw to exist, the fakir took fate into his own hands to create a means by which people would be tempted to and punished for reaching beyond their lot in life.

If the monkey's paw was just some naturally occurring phenomenon we wouldn't be having this conversation, but the fact that it was deliberately made with the intent of punishing people who use it undermines the message because it is not fate doing this, it's the magic of the monkey's paw.

Additionally, the act of assuming that he had the right to do so, the right to judge, the right to punish, the right to force lessons on others is far more hubristic than anything we see people wishing for in the novel, which makes the fakir a hypocrite: He's punishing the hubris of others without considering his own. We know that the first person to have the Monkey's paw used their third wish to kill themself. Who's learning anything there?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1433

Did anyone get punished for trying to improve themselves in any other way? No. They got punished for trying to simply wish their problems away.

I suspect you dislike this because all of your fantasies are some form of wishing your problems away.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Titan in the Playground

The contradiction is that the moral of the story talks about temping or defying fate.

But the very fact that the monkey's paw was deliberately made undermines the moral, because it's not "fate" punishing people's hubris, it's the monkey's paw.
    Again, how do you know that the monkey's paw doesn't simply insure you get what you wish for (as opposed to usual wishful thinking, where there's no guarantee of anything) and lets fate dole out the punishment?

It wasn't fated for the paw to exist, the fakir took fate into his own hands to create a means by which people would be tempted to and punished for reaching beyond their lot in life.
    If the monkey's paw was just some naturally occurring phenomenon we wouldn't be having this conversation, but the fact that it was deliberately made with the intent of punishing people who use it undermines the message because it is not fate doing this, it's the magic of the monkey's paw.
    How do you know the paw wasn't fated to exist? Its creator has magic powers, for all we know he could have seen that it was his fate to create it. Also, the paw doesn't tempt anyone, people come up with their wishes on their own. PEople already make all sorts of wishes all the time without it.

Additionally, the act of assuming that he had the right to do so, the right to judge, the right to punish, the right to force lessons on others is far more hubristic than anything we see people wishing for in the novel, which makes the fakir a hypocrite: He's punishing the hubris of others without considering his own. We know that the first person to have the Monkey's paw used their third wish to kill themself. Who's learning anything there?
    But he's not punishing anyone, he's saying "for all good fortune there are unforeseen consequences, if you still want to ask for things, go ahead, but you'll regret it."

As for the fakir's hybris, we know nothing about him. He's not in the story, it's not even clear that anyone in the story ever met him. For all we know the paw could very well be a "naturally occuring phenomenon". He's not a character, he's a plot device.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-11-25 at 03:55 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

Potentially unpopular opinion: good meat substitutes have been actively harmful to vegetarian cooking.

I wanted a bean burger the other day and didn't want to make it myself. So I went to the veggie premade food part of my local supermarket and almost all the burgers were meat replacements with one mixed veg burger. I got one, it was kind of meat-like but clearly had a soy texture, but it wasn't as good as a bean burger.

At best it made me forget I wasn't eating meat. But I don't get excited by the idea that I won't miss something. I got excited by the idea that I was going to eat a bean burger, and it would taste like its own thing and be really delicious.

It's why I don't mind mushroom balls. I can eat them and immediately tell they're made of fungus, but they're nice. If I wanted some soy I'd eat some tofu.

I'll probably make a tofu curry this weekend.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1436

Did anyone get punished for trying to improve themselves in any other way? No. They got punished for trying to simply wish their problems away..
    "It had a spell put on it by an old Fakir," said the Sergeant-Major, "a very holy man. He wanted to show that fate ruled people's lives, and that those who interfered with it did so to their sorrow. He put a spell on it so that three separate men could each have three wishes from it."
    Direct quote from the story, emphasis mine.

The fakkir believed that any attempt to defy fate would lead to sorrow and so created the paw to emphasize the fact.

Beyond that, it's a short story taking place over a few weeks tops and the main characters are an elderly couple. There's not much opportunity to change your lot in life at that point.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Direct quote from the story, emphasis mine.

The fakkir believed that any attempt to defy fate would lead to sorrow and so created the paw to emphasize the fact.

Beyond that, it's a short story taking place over a few weeks tops and the main characters are an elderly couple. There's not much opportunity to change your lot in life at that point.
    Again, the only negative outcomes are for trying to wish the problems away. If attempting to change your scenario was already fated to give you a negative outcome for doing so then he wouldn't need to create the monkey paw to start with. It would already be self evident to everyone.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Firbolg in the Playground

I took a fresh look at the story myself, just now. Nowhere is it stated that the fakir's spell specifically perverts the wish, only that it will grant a finite number of wishes and the fakir believed manipulating fate has dire consequences. The fakir himself would seem to have appended a warning to the item (otherwise Morris's predecessor and through him, Morris wouldn't have known its stated purpose), and Morris was warned by the dead man (whether directly or indirectly) just as the Whites were warned by Morris.

Now, the fakir's act of crafting the paw is hardly the same thing as the others using the paw. What the fakir warns against is (selfishly) tampering with fate. He had the power to do that (as demonstrated by his crafting the paw), but he didn't do it (as demonstrated by the fact that he never used it).

29. - Top - End - #1439

Topic Change.

My mom's been doing ancestry research, a family tree and history for us, for a long time.

Apparently, we've got a lot of English nobility in our tree, for as much as that's worth...

But the oldest of her own ancestors she can find is referred to as both a Baron and an Earl and I'm not sure why that is... Even if the person held both titles they're not equivalent to each other so wouldn't the higher-ranking title supersede the other?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I took a fresh look at the story myself, just now. Nowhere is it stated that the fakir's spell specifically perverts the wish, only that it will grant a finite number of wishes and the fakir believed manipulating fate has dire consequences. The fakir himself would seem to have appended a warning to the item (otherwise Morris's predecessor and through him, Morris wouldn't have known its stated purpose), and Morris was warned by the dead man (whether directly or indirectly) just as the Whites were warned by Morris.

Now, the fakir's act of crafting the paw is hardly the same thing as the others using the paw. What the fakir warns against is (selfishly) tampering with fate. He had the power to do that (as demonstrated by his crafting the paw), but he didn't do it (as demonstrated by the fact that he never used it).
    What's the name of the story by the way?