New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Astoundingly Assonant Random Banter #240

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    Ok that’s fair enough, I’ll walk that statement back a bit; if you’re a mediocre swimmer, you could work your way up to it without too much difficultly if you get a little coaching to optimize your form and speed to minimize wasted energy.
    The thing you're describing is like when a programmer gets so deep in the weeds that they think "well of course they know what Linux is" about regular people who don't do computers.

You are, very clearly, very fit and very adept at swimming. For someone like me, who is healthy and fit by a normal standard but has never swum before, the thing you're describing would take years of practice.

It's still very cool though!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2022-09-14 at 11:24 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    Ok that’s fair enough, I’ll walk that statement back a bit; if you’re a mediocre swimmer, you could work your way up to it without too much difficultly if you get a little coaching to optimize your form and speed to minimize wasted energy.
    Oh, totally. Also, for what it's worth, when I hit that mile I felt amazing, like I'd really acconplished something and I was really feeling it after/the next day. Mile swim is no joke. So good on you for absolutely crushing it, from what it sounds like!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thanks bro, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The thing you're describing is like when a programmer gets so deep in the weeds that they think "well of course they know what Linux is" about regular people who don't do computers.

You are, very clearly, very fit and very adept at swimming. For someone like me, who is healthy and fit by a normal standard but has never swum before, the thing you're describing would take years of practice.

It's still very cool though!
    Thanks. Believe it or not there was one or two guys at the basic training who had never swam before. It took some remediation but they ended up becoming passable swimmers.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't suppose you get to use a snorkel? I could probably swim a mile with snorkeling gear, but never really managed proper breathing for any prone strokes.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I still remember learning that not every country gives mandatory swimming lessons when my Russian friend said she didn't know how. I mean it makes sense, Russia is not an island, but the pre-puberty swimming lessons were a key part of my childhood.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #186

Every so often I'll get a review on FFN that's just a huge wall of text of the same mix copy-pasted comments ranging from excerpts of other fanfics(usually ones that praise villains and bash on heroes or authority figures in stories where the villains are not the good guys) and a variety of bizarre quasi-political opinions that honestly seem rather at odds with each other and other general comments along those lines.

I once got literally an entire chapter of another fanfic that showed the corrupt but well-meaning leader of a sanctioned Para-Military Law Enforcement Agency commiting a war crime and being chewed out for it by her subordinate which is... Not as out of character as I wish I could say it was, but still out of character.

I think it's a bot but it doesn't happen on any regular basis, sometimes I can get a dozen in one day and othertimes months pass regularly and since it's all anonymous I can't be sure what's going on.

Or who the hell would program a bot to do that kind of thing. It's not like it's adds or anything.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Mystifies me as well, because even if your programming the bot to mess with peoples's heads with some nonsensical review, you can't see the reaction of people being messed with, so what would the point be?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #188

Does anyone else have a terrible gnawing void inside that can only be satisfied by garlic and/or smoked cheese flavored snacks?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Does anyone else have a terrible gnawing void inside

Yes, very much

that can only be satisfied by garlic and/or smoked cheese flavored snacks?

What?

Umm…

….maybe?

Thanks @Rater202
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Yes, very much

What?

Umm…

….maybe?

Thanks @Rater202
    ...Not sure why thanks or if thanks is genuine or sarcastic.

For what it's worth I've got the other kind, too.

...I think most people feel incomplete at some point in their lives. Some people try to fill the void with friendship, romance, great works, creative endeavors, money, power...

I bet you could do a wonderous social-psych study about it, trying to find people willing to admit to such feelings and what they did to try and cope could probably provide interesting insights into mankind's drive to feel productive.

...I also sometimes feel like I can feel myself aging in real-time. I don't think that's normal. I've looked into it and all I could find was a mental disorder where some people believe themselves to already be dead(or undead) and claim that they can feel themselves decaying but... That doesn't line up with my experience.

I want to say that I might be more in tune with my body to my awareness of its shortcomings(pre-mature arthritis, weak back, bad vision, etcetera) except I didn't notice significant rapid weight loss which blows that theory right out of the water.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm excited for Microsoft to announce their new XBOX versions, presumably named "Original XBOX" and "XBOX From 2001"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

12. - Top - End - #192

So in the last year or so I've noticed a bunch of videos of someone punching someone else to no effect wit the background music being replaced with the intro to It Has to Be This Way.

This is obviously a reference to the beginning of the boss fight against Senator Armstrong in MGRR when Raiden is just giving him the JoJo treatment to no effect but does anyone know when this trend started?

Are these edits a recent thing or have they been around for a while and it's just only now hat they're ending up in my feed?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #193

So in the last year or so I've noticed a bunch of videos of someone punching someone else to no effect wit the background music being replaced with the intro to It Has to Be This Way.

This is obviously a reference to the beginning of the boss fight against Senator Armstrong in MGRR when Raiden is just giving him the JoJo treatment to no effect but does anyone know when this trend started?

Are these edits a recent thing or have they been around for a while and it's just only now hat they're ending up in my feed?
    They were a little common back when the game first released, but as the game was a sleeper hit it took a while for the Masses to catch onto how ****ing excellent that game is. Don't know what caused the resurgence in the mass market; some ten hundred million follower youtube mutant doing the game, a game sale putting it out for pennies, something like that.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    They were a little common back when the game first released, but as the game was a sleeper hit it took a while for the Masses to catch onto how ****ing excellent that game is. Don't know what caused the resurgence in the mass market; some ten hundred million follower youtube mutant doing the game, a game sale putting it out for pennies, something like that.
    I'm wondering if Netflix's Castlvania popularised the meme more (there's a very memorable moment in the second season I'll put in spoilers below), and caused people to revisit MGR ("Rules of Nature goes with everything" was a popular variation of the "Guile's Theme goes with everything" meme), which then formed this newer iteration.

Spoiler: The moment of the Castlevania anime in question
    Show
    Where Trevor, Syphia and Alucard all finally confront Dracula, and Belmont goes straight in for a flurry of punches. This does nothing, except make Dracula (who's had an arc where he's been overtaken by nihilistic depression) exasperatedly exclaim "You must be the Belmont!".

It's such an amazing bit of humour that doesn't break any of the scene's tension, and it gets a callback in the next season's opening (which confirms Trevor can actually take some enemies down unarmed).

OSP has an analysis of the scene, if you have 40 minutes to spare:

Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

So, my mum is retiring at the end of the month. Except, not technically. See, the hospital she works at is so understaffed that all the paid leave she skipped over the years amount to 15 months of paid vacation before she retires next year.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So, my mum is retiring at the end of the month. Except, not technically. See, the hospital she works at is so understaffed that all the paid leave she skipped over the years amount to 15 months of paid vacation before she retires next year.
    ....So I think a lot of places have "use it or lose it" policies for Paid Vacation Time for exactly that reason.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Firbolg in the Playground

On a scale of e to 6.02214076×1023, how bad is it that right now, I just want to be her?

18. - Top - End - #198

With the agency I'm going for, that's fairly common. Accrual with no cap tends to help.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    On a scale of e to 6.02214076×1023, how bad is it that right now, I just want to be her?
    You can't be my mum, you're a plant!
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #200

You can't be my mum, you're a plant!
    You're breaking my heart!

Oh, wait, I don't even have one of those. Regardless, I envy her position.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-09-18 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Â.

21. - Top - End - #201

Comic Book Trivia: It's reasonably common knowledge that a Gamma-Ray Mutate, such as the Hulk's, powers are based on their rough mental state, personal issues, psychoses, or so on.

What's not commonly known is just how precise and niche this can be.

The Hulk can see and touch "astral forms"... Because Bruce killed his abusive father in self-defense and ever since has been subconsciously terrified of the possibility of his father coming back to haunt him.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Comic Book Trivia: It's reasonably common knowledge that a Gamma-Ray Mutate, such as the Hulk's, powers are based on their rough mental state, personal issues, psychoses, or so on.
    Is it?7890
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #203

Is it?7890
    "reasonably common" here means "if you hve more than a passing knowledge of the franchise chance are good that you know it."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #204

Is "reasonably common knowledge" trivia, then?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Is "reasonably common knowledge" trivia, then?
    Certainly seemed trivial to me!
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Certainly seemed trivial to me!
    I concur; to be quadrivial, it would need to actually have something to do with actual natural science.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

You're breaking my heart!

Oh, wait, I don't even have one of those. Regardless, I envy her position.
    What, you got a plant job?
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #208

What, you got a plant job?
    Look, I have bills to pay too, okay?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Bugbear in the Playground

Look, I have bills to pay too, okay?
    Did Mr. Burns blot out the sun again? Is he making you pay for sunlight?
    Last edited by Form; 2022-09-18 at 02:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Did Mr. Burns blot out the sun again? Is he making you pay for sunlight?
    [Shudders.] Heavens forbid, no! It's heating, mostly. And water. I'm very serious about the per bit of perennial.