New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1267 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    The uniform expansion thing applies here too, if I recall correctly. Something about space between the subatomic particles getting big enough that the strong force can't hold stuff together anymore. This would require that the universal expansion never stop accelerating though because it needs to expand faster than the forces can pull stuff back together for that to happen I think.
    I don't think that the expansion applies to objects, rather than the space between them. The W'pedia article about the future of an expanding universe doesn't mention it, but I'm not highly confident in that article's reliability. This is all quite speculative. The article does mention that quantum tunnelling could allow "large" non-black-hole-mass objects to turn into black holes, which would then evaporate into subatomic particles and photons. And it raises the possibility that bound neutrons could decay, which would ultimately cause even stable atoms to disintegrate -- a loss of neutrons would leave a nucleus with an excess of protons, which is traditionally "relieved" by loss of an alpha particle or emission of a positron.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love the fact that, in this forum, every new page thread starts with "OMG, [character] is [something]ing! I laughed!", then around page five is "Well, actually this rule is mostly intended as a de facto viable tactic for spooning ogres." and ends in "Let's discuss the moral implication of formal language in the achievement of transcendental scientific knowledge."
    Last edited by Laurentio III; 2022-09-22 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typos
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    I love the fact that, in this forum, every new page thread starts with "OMG, [character] is [something]ing! I laughed!", then around page five is "Well, actually this rule is mostly intended as a de facto viable tactic for spooning ogres." and ends in "Let's discuss the moral implication of formal language in the achievement of transcendental scientific knowledge."
    You're completely skipping the devolution into Star Wars.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    "Well, actually this rule is mostly intended as a de facto viable tactic for spooning ogres."
    I am very tempted to sig this (exactly like that; context is the daemon).

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're completely skipping the devolution into Star Wars.
    Would the Force counteract the inevitable entropic heat death of the Star Wars universe?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Would the Force counteract the inevitable entropic heat death of the Star Wars universe?
    It's proven to not be a closed system by the invasion of external to their universe forces.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #307

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    It's proven to not be a closed system by the invasion of external to their universe forces.
    I'm guessing that's EU stuff, so i don't know what it is. I've only seen movies 2, 4, 5, 6 (best one), 7, 8, 9 (worst one).

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the book series had that plot line, IIRC.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #309

External to their galaxy, not their universe.
    I'm guessing that's EU stuff, so i don't know what it is. I've only seen movies 2, 4, 5, 6 (best one), 7, 8, 9 (worst one).
    You're not missing much.

Same for the prequels that you haven't seen.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-09-22 at 08:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310

External to their galaxy, not their universe.

You're not missing much.

Same for the prequels that you haven't seen.
    I've heard good things about the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons though so I might check those out.

11. - Top - End - #311

I've heard good things about the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons though so I might check those out.
    I think Clone Wars has the same nostalgia-goggles that the prequel movies in general have, but I did enjoy Rebels. Mandalorian was great, and I really enjoyed Rogue One. There's a good chance you'd like it. Andor is turning out to be way better than it has any business being as well.

I don't think you'd need to worry about this, but don't watch Resistance. It's aimed at a significantly younger audience.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

You're not missing much.
    The Zahn books were good.

And I really loved the Decipher CCG back in the day.

Young Jedi might have been mostly good because I was at the right age for it at the time.

And this might be controversial, but I loved the Ewok cartoon and the Ewok comics as a kid.

13. - Top - End - #313

The Zahn books were good.
    I was referring to the New Jedi Order series, dealing with the Yuuzhan Vong. Although overall for the EU, yeah, that sentiment still holds true. And I've got over 120 of the novels in my basement (not counting the YA books)!

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I don't think that the expansion applies to objects, rather than the space between them. The W'pedia article about the future of an expanding universe doesn't mention it, but I'm not highly confident in that article's reliability. This is all quite speculative. The article does mention that quantum tunnelling could allow "large" non-black-hole-mass objects to turn into black holes, which would then evaporate into subatomic particles and photons. And it raises the possibility that bound neutrons could decay, which would ultimately cause even stable atoms to disintegrate -- a loss of neutrons would leave a nucleus with an excess of protons, which is traditionally "relieved" by loss of an alpha particle or emission of a positron.
    That's the thing, objects aren't just one solid lump of stuff, they're made up of lots of little objects, and the space between those can increase as the universe expands. If it expands fast enough it'll rip all those subatomic particles away from each other: The Big Rip.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2022-09-23 at 02:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #315

I think Clone Wars has the same nostalgia-goggles that the prequel movies in general have, but I did enjoy Rebels. Mandalorian was great, and I really enjoyed Rogue One. There's a good chance you'd like it. Andor is turning out to be way better than it has any business being as well.

I don't think you'd need to worry about this, but don't watch Resistance. It's aimed at a significantly younger audience.
    Huh. I thought people didn't like the CGI clone wars cartoon at first and it only grew on them over time. As for being aimed at a significantly younger audience, do you mean like pre-schoolers or the 6-11 group, since the second group is technically what The Owl House which is my favorite show, is aimed at [not that it even bothers pretending to be aimed at them].
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2022-09-23 at 04:58 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    That's the thing, objects aren't just one solid lump of stuff, they're made up of lots of little objects, and the space between those can increase as the universe expands. If it expands fast enough it'll rip all those subatomic particles away from each other: The Big Rip.
    Hmm. I found the W'pedia article about it. I can't judge the concept on its merits, but it doesn't seem to be well-regarded. I do have a bias against fringe physics theories coming out of Dartmouth College.