New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1267 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Pardon?
    Post fixed. Small issue I had with the Multiquote.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-09-06 at 12:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Post fixed. Small issue I had with the Multiquote.
    Even "formally" they don't have that kind of power.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroþila View Post
    Bold of English speakers with their "he" and their "she" and their "his" and their "her" and their compounds in "-man" to look down on other languages with grammatical gender.
    Those pronouns are meant to refer to actual living things with a biological sex to describe rather than attaching a gender to every word, and the suffix "man" is actually gender-neutral despite what the people attempting to replace it with "person" would have you believe.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I think an even bigger danger here is the Quinton. It will almost certainly notice a seemingly random bird acting in a very orderly.... fashion.

With no specifics on what its contractees are looking for, it has a reason to pay attention for any anomaly at all.
    I don't think the Quinton is likely to bring Blackwing up, even if it does notice Blackwing. The Quinton is performing a set list of services:
    • Accompany Team Evil while they search behind the doors in the canyon
    • Assist in restraining hostile creatures found within
    • Keep a mental record of which doors TE entered, in what order, and the physical dimensions and orientation of each room they visit

Blackwing might qualify as a hostile creature, but Blackwing is not within/behind the doors in the canyon, so the Quinton is not compelled to point Blackwing out. I suspect the Quinton will not do anything beyond that list of services and offering ads. Maybe if Redcloak asks the right kind of question, the Quinton will answer and give more information that Redcloak expected, but I don't think that's especially likely?

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    I think if the Quinton notices anything about the MitD it will be that the Monster actually spoke his plan aloud when walking right next to the Quinton rather than thinking it to himself.
    For the same reason, I don't think that's much of a concern, though it's a good observation that MitD was speaking aloud.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    The ad thing really killed me

Good thing Xykon's being so oblivious with regard to the MitD. However, the Inevitable will probably catch on that something is up.
    I think that that's not in his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    MitD is being dangerously obvious in his attempt to subvert Team Evil's goals here. Even if we assume that no one overheard his remark in panel 7, despite it not being marked as a whisper, I'd say that there's a good chance Xykon at least has figured out why MitD is asking him all these questions.
    Sort of, but remember that this is Team Evil. Xykon himself would gleefully do exactly what MitD is doing if Redcloak was under such a restriction, just to get under his skin; and Redcloak is probably resisting the urge to do it right now. It's likely he views what MitD is doing the same way, ie. pointless evil trolling rather than intentional sabotage.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2022-09-06 at 12:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    I don't think the Quinton is likely to bring Blackwing up, even if it does notice Blackwing. The Quinton is performing a set list of services:
    • Accompany Team Evil while they search behind the doors in the canyon
    • Assist in restraining hostile creatures found within
    • Keep a mental record of which doors TE entered, in what order, and the physical dimensions and orientation of each room they visit

Blackwing might qualify as a hostile creature, but Blackwing is not within/behind the doors in the canyon, so the Quinton is not compelled to point Blackwing out. I suspect the Quinton will not do anything beyond that list of services and offering ads. Maybe if Redcloak asks the right kind of question, the Quinton will answer and give more information that Redcloak expected, but I don't think that's especially likely?
    Point, but all it will take is for Redcloak to ask the right question. Granted, this might occur after Blackwing is hopefully recalled.

I agree the odds of discovery are low, but they're not zero, and they're certainly higher than the very imperceptive Team Evil would have alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    I wonder why Redcloak isn't telling the MitD to knock it off.
    It's the most fun he's had in a long time.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sutremaine View Post
    I wonder why Redcloak isn't telling the MitD to knock it off. If the Modron disappears, any replacement is going to be coming out of Redcloak's soul.
    Redclock knows that Xykon has a very high INT and can keep speaking by the rules all day.
    Maybe he thinks that MitD is just trying to make Xykon fall in error for fun, and decided it's so unlikely to be unworth his intervention.
    Plus, the Quinton already passed at least three errors allowing Xykon to correct at the last moment. It's not like it is going to rule out the collaboration so easily.
    Last, it's possible that Redclock hope is for Xykon shutting up already.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

So... (lazily) put the letters in an anagram descrambler, and got those 4: coder, credo, cored, decor.
    I especially like decor, given that the canyon as a whole is a decoy, and could well be called a decor.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Nice. It seems like Xykon will handle the issue wuth stuttering.

Also, is the word from the ad "decor" when solved?
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Given the crossword above it, I think you're supposed to come up with as many words that use only those letters as you can.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't see MitD's questions succeeding, besides being forced to stop asking by Xykon. Legal systems recognise mistakes can be made and regard remedying a failure to fulfil contract as acceptable. If Xykon ends a sentence with an even number of characters, the quinton will stop, demand Xykon correct his mistake, then carry on when it's corrected. The quinton has not specified no mistakes must be made and is merely interested in Xykon's effort in considering his words, not some perfect, vocal effect.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Given the crossword above it, I think you're supposed to come up with as many words that use only those letters as you can.
    Clearly correct but I thought the full anagram was the most likely to be significant. And I'm happy with decor. Though of course a (contrived?) argument could be made for any the other three. Full crossword left as an exercise to another reader.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Those pronouns are meant to refer to actual living things with a biological sex to describe rather than attaching a gender to every word, and the suffix "man" is actually gender-neutral despite what the people attempting to replace it with "person" would have you believe.
    Those pronouns are still a remnant of a fully gendered grammatical system and they're still applied to non-sentient things occasionally (like boat names and countries). Like duh, of course gender is a more important grammatical concept in e.g. Romance languages than in English, but my point wasn't that English was the most gendered language on earth but that it's still gendered. Especially when compared to many languages that *are* properly genderless.

Also "-man" is not actually gender-neutral because diachronicity and sinchronicity are different things and while etymologically "man" does mean "human being, person" that's not how it's perceived sinchronically by many speakers even if you try to dismiss them as if their opinion didn't matter in something like language use which is entirely determined by consensus.
    ungelic is us

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Xykon sure twist that tongue rather well for not having one, +1

16. - Top - End - #76

e
    c r
    c o d e
    d d
    e d e c o r
    c e o e
    o c r o d
    Last edited by Laurentio III; 2022-09-06 at 01:35 PM.

[email protected]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I wish I knew Greek. I only learned Latin.
    I learned that one too and liked it the most. Clean. Elegant. Simple. For the most part, anyway.

Nah, it's pretty neat. The issue is in tying it up with human gender. Bring back abstract and physical, dammit!
    Animate/inanimate is also an interesting one, and a classic at that. I totally intend to use it in a conlang sometime.

Nah, the linguists were quite happy to go with the general consensus of masculine. The académiciens were the ones who decided to be a pain.
    Ah, my mistake! Our Academy employs linguists of its own for such tasks.

Bold of English speakers with their "he" and their "she" and their "his" and their "her" and their compounds in "-man" to look down on other languages with grammatical gender.
    Bold of you to assume English is my first language. (Spoiler alert: arguably it might not even be my second.)

Anyway, I feel MitD might be pushing it. At this rate his aura of uselessness will stop protecting him eventually.
    He's been pushing it to varying degrees since before O-Chul's escape, but yes, it going unnoticed requires more and more luck on his part indeed.

It's the most fun he's had in a long time.
    It's Xykon getting "ordered around" and forced to do something kinda-sorta "nerdy"! How could it not be?

Those pronouns are still a remnant of a fully gendered grammatical system and they're still applied to non-sentient things occasionally (like boat names and countries). Like duh, of course gender is a more important grammatical concept in e.g. Romance languages than in English, but my point wasn't that English was the most gendered language on earth but that it's still gendered. Especially when compared to many languages that *are* properly genderless.
    Well put.

Also "-man" is not actually gender-neutral because diachronicity and sinchronicity are different things and while etymologically "man" does mean "human being, person" that's not how it's perceived sinchronically by many speakers even if you try to dismiss them as if their opinion didn't matter in something like language use which is entirely determined by consensus.
    What's the singular of people? (DISCLAIMER: the question isn't entirely rhetorical.)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    (For some reason I can't have all letter capital if I don't add a text line)
    (That's mostly for the prevention of FORUM YELLING!!!4! and, perhaps, for undoing Caps Lock errors.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-09-06 at 01:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post

E
    C E
    CODE
    D D
    E DECOR
    CEO E
    O C ROD

(For some reason I can't have all letter capital if I don't add a text line)
    First: Thank you!
    Second: Try a CODE tag.
    Code:
       E
       C E
      CODE
    D    D
    E DECOR
    CEO   E
    O C ROD
    Third: EEDO? (down from 6, 2)
    ETA: Ah saw you corrected to REDO in 2nd attempt. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Corian; 2022-09-06 at 01:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    It may seem like MITD is pushing his luck, but everyone in that group (as well as us as the readers) knows that if the situation were reversed Xykon would totally be asking similar questions to mess with Redcloak or whoever else was the one who had to watch what they say. Turnabout is fair play lich-boy.
    I can see Redcloak at some point pulling him aside and asking MITD to stop but at this point he'd find it to funny.

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    I can't see MitD's questions succeeding, besides being forced to stop asking by Xykon. Legal systems recognise mistakes can be made and regard remedying a failure to fulfil contract as acceptable. If Xykon ends a sentence with an even number of characters, the quinton will stop, demand Xykon correct his mistake, then carry on when it's corrected. The quinton has not specified no mistakes must be made and is merely interested in Xykon's effort in considering his words, not some perfect, vocal effect.
    We aren't dealing with corporations here but supernatural magical forces.
    Quinton's goal is cosmic order and Xykon's goals stand in opposition of that. He'll wait until Xykon screws up at a critical moment and then pull out.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

20. - Top - End - #80

Do [#]drones appear and disappear as required? The gate is closed, and I don't remember Quinton to be able to teleport minions on demand.
    Are all of them conveniently offscreen?

[email protected]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

In the version I played briefly, the "crossword puzzle" used only a subset of the words that could be made with the letters. The score was one point per word entered that matched the letters, regardless of whether or not the word was in the "crossword". If one entered a word that was in the "crossword", that word was filled in. The game ended when the "crossword" was completed. So one got a maximum score by coming up with as many words as possible that weren't in the "crossword"... but still recognized by the game as real words. I got frustrated by the game's too-frequently telling me that real words that I know weren't real. I'd also gotten into the bad habit of rearranging subsets of the letters algorithmically to see what combinations the game would recognize as words, even if I had no idea if some combinations were valid.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Nah, it's pretty neat. The issue is in tying it up with human gender. Bring back abstract and physical, dammit!
    Animate/inanimate is also an interesting one, and a classic at that. I totally intend to use it in a conlang sometime.
    It is great esp. in ergative languages: subject and object are grammatically marked only if they diverge from base subject-animate object-inanimate assumption. (Which I strongly suspect you know but may interest other readers.)

I once learnt rudiments of kiSwahili: humans (irregardless of sex) are in first pair (1-2) of 18 noun classes (semantic categories, often paired by pluralization) but it includes a few other abstract animal nouns; most animals instead fall in classes 9-10, which is a grab bag with many loan words. My favourite is class 14 for abstraction, as requested by Fyraltari; which being represented by a noun class can be used to "abstract" many words by prefixing with u-. Eg moja=one, umoja=unity. Collectives can have agency but fall in class 5-6. Plants have vitality but not agency and fall in class 3-4.

Really a different view of the world. Of course, the categories are not neat, and anybody expecting neat categories is invited to read Lakoff on Women, Fire and Dangerous things (title referring to a noun class in an Australian language.)
    Last edited by Corian; 2022-09-06 at 02:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    The ad thing really killed me

Good thing Xykon's being so oblivious with regard to the MitD. However, the Inevitable will probably catch on that something is up.
    I mean in the last comic Redcloak made a point of how funny it is to make Xykon follow the word rule so it's not much of a stretch for hi to assume the MitD is just having more fun with it than he should have.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    Initial thoughts. On. This. Page. About xykon getting teased.
    [...]
    Are you aware that "teased" has six letters?

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corian View Post
    noun classes
    Sometimes this category is lumped together with grammatical gender – a practice that I wholeheartedly endorse.

anybody expecting neat categories is invited to read Lakoff on Women, Fire and Dangerous things (title referring to a noun class in an Australian language.)
    (Anybody whpo doesn't expect that is likewise encouraged to read it; it's worth your time, people!)

26. - Top - End - #86

Besides...

ODD letters "blue" synonyms
    azure
    beryl
    royal
    turquoise
    ultramarine

EVEN letters "blue" synonyms
    cerulean
    cobalt
    indigo
    navy
    sapphire
    teal

In Xykon shoes, I'd go with "Royal". For a massive number of reasons.

[email protected]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Sometimes this category is lumped together with grammatical gender – a practice that I wholeheartedly endorse.
    Amen! I left that implied by association, but absolutely worth being explicit!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can imagine what is going on in Blackwing's mind during the previous scene. "Try not to laugh... Try not to laugh...".

Come to think of it, have we ever seen Blackwing laugh?

29. - Top - End - #89

NinjaGuy

Wow. That's...really bold of MiTD. O-chul would be proud. Might already be proud, if blackwing is relaying this to the group.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Xykon is doing a way better job with this restriction than I would. Does that mean he's smarter than me?
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2022-09-06 at 04:27 PM.