New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Augury and Curses

So, 2nd level cleric spell Augury. If you cast the spell, and ask "Will I suffer a curse if I use this item?", and succeed in your roll, will the spell tell you correctly if it is cursed?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Augury and Curses

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    So, 2nd level cleric spell Augury. If you cast the spell, and ask "Will I suffer a curse if I use this item?", and succeed in your roll, will the spell tell you correctly if it is cursed?
    "Woe" if its a straight up bad curse (-4 armor of can't take it off). "Weal and woe" if its a mixed blessing (sword of -2 to hit but teleports to your had at initative roll means you're never unarmed iff you can still manage to use half decent ranged weapons while carrying it). Cryptic otherwise (+5 vorpal sword of cursed beserking = "the lonely undying conqurerer wins all battles on a throne of heads").

Thet dropped a resource and made a roll. They get directly and immedately useful info.
    Last edited by Telok; 2022-09-10 at 01:50 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Don't forget that the answers to an Augury aren't 'factual', they are the moral guidance of the contacted god. So- for instance- if you find a magic book that will give the wizard enough XP to go up a level, but your god doesn't like wizardly magic and you ask what happens if the wizard reads the book, the answer will probably be 'woe'.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    From what I understand you can't ask specific yes/no questions of Augury. Just "Will we gain benefit or be harmed if we take a specific action in the next half hour"

Quote Originally Posted by Augry
    For example, if the question is “Will we do well if we venture to
    the third level?” and a terrible troll guarding 10,000 sp and a shield
    +1 lurks near the entrance to the level (which the DM estimates the
    party could beat after a hard fight), the augury might be: “Great risk
    brings great reward.” If the troll is too strong for the party, the augury
    might be: “Woe and destruction await!”
    To me this says "What will happen if we use this item?" if it's actually a potion of poison it will clearly say "Woe" vs using a cursed silver sword when you'll fight a devil in the next half hour might be "Weal and Woe". While in a safe environment you'll get something more vauge since you don't know if you'll be fighting anything with it.

So it could be good if you're in a dungeon and need a quick answer, and it isn't safe for you wizard to lose 8 con for the identify in the next 8 hours.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2022-09-12 at 05:35 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    "Woe" if its a straight up bad curse (-4 armor of can't take it off). "Weal and woe" if its a mixed blessing (sword of -2 to hit but teleports to your hand at initiative roll means you're never unarmed if you can still manage to use half decent ranged weapons while carrying it). Cryptic otherwise (+5 vorpal sword of cursed beserkering = "the lonely undying conqurerer wins all battles on a throne of heads").

They dropped a resource and made a roll. They get directly and immediately useful info.
    I'll agree with this!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season