New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Keith
    “Oh, hear that, Ryker?” Sidney asks with a smirk. “I’ve been upgraded to ‘better than a minion’.”

Ryker grins back at his girlfriend. “Movin’ up in the world, baby.”

The barrels slide back down into the bottom of Elvira’s beak and throat. She pushes her head into Keith’s hand before snapping her beak shut so he can see just how sharp the edge of it is.

Mimi’s voice comes over the speakers on the roof. “Keith, would you join everyone down in the living room? Seraph has a mission for you.”
    Keith looks at the ground almost embarrassed when he realizes what he had said. "N-not what I was meaning to imply that you weren't already awesome, just really glad that I wouldn't have had to go against someone like you or Ryker fighting those guys."

It was a stupid thing to say, and he about regretted it but they both took it in good stride. He figured it was all well and good. If anything, it had certainly seemed to get them to talking. Even if not about what they needed to.

"I'd pretty much grew up trying to end a war someone else started, and the leader of that group would want to see me, well I would assume dead eventually but not without a ton of torture first. The last time I saw those attack squads, well they didn't make use of tech put together masterfully like V, but they certainly weren't push overs." Keith's eyes go distant a bit thinking back on it. He's jarred from the thought when Elvira pushed her head into his hand. His eyes widen again seeing how sharp the beak is.

"Oooo you got a really sharp beak there, V. It suits you!" He rubbed her head a moment before Mimi's voice came over the speakers.

"Sure thing Mimi, I'll be right down." Following which he turned back to Sidney and Ryker. "Guess Uncle's side project for me can wait. Probably a good thing too." Keith shudders at the thought of having to talk with Coldfront. Just from what all Ryker had said, she sounded terrifying. He would much rather have had to talk with Eidolon. At least then it was someone that probably already knew everything. Freaking mind reading.

"And it was nice getting to meet you, Elvira. Hope to see you again soon! You two have fun." He says before heading back down to the living room.

2. - Top - End - #92

OldWizardGuy

Stella looks over at John with a shrug and a nod. “He didn’t say what they were meeting about. I don’t think whoever it was told him, just that they needed to meet.”
    While there could be any number of reasons, John thought, the most obvious is the recent attack by the Darkwatch. No matter where he fit within the local hierarchy, that group would be considered a threat by every vampire here. It added additional risk of discovery and would limit their mobility.

He had not had the time to sort the realities about vampires — especially the forbidden arts that Raphael apparently had access to — and the exaggerations based on what one person had told another over the centuries. Of course, the Spirits had warned him against getting distracted from the mission at hand ad to focus on the demons. And, he recalled, he had been specifically enjoined to allow for lesser darknesses to oppose this greater darkness.

That injunction, of course, complicated the question of whether he should report a probable vampire safe house to Montcrieff. He would have to consider that carefully.

Once again, her nervousness creeps in, but she quickly smooths it over with a smile at John. “Jaal actually likes you a good bit. More than he likes Raphael, honestly.”
    “I would not have guessed that Jaal likes me,” John admitted. “I was certain I had offended him the other day on the roof. That may have been the tension of the moment, though.” He turned to Emi. “He’s an dignified and self-possessed being. I know you saw him the other day, but I don’t know if the two of you spoke telepathically or not.”

“I don’t think he would do so well talking with a true dragon,” Emi admits. “He’s a bit of a nervous guy,” she explains to Stella. “I am glad that you, at the very least, find him interesting John. He was very glad that you and he talked today.”

“A dragon? Nervous?” Stella asks with a chuckle.
    “Hard to believe, isn’t it?” John replied, noting that Emi’s comment implied that she and Grayson had spoken. Perhaps they had started on the path to recovery. He didn’t think that was the kind of thing to ask in front of Stella. While he felt he could trust her, it didn’t mean it was appropriate to discuss Grayson and Emi’s relationship in front of her.

Even if Keith had mentioned it in front of Ryker, who might have told Sydney about it who might have told Stella. Also, Keith had alluded to conversations with the Council of Women of West Side for advice, just as he had.

Regardless, it wasn’t his secret to reveal.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    “I’m glad he didn’t eat you,” Aeryn whispers to Manny as he sits.
    "Not a chance. I'm very persuasive." Manny whispers back with a wink and a smile.

“Have you ever seen Demon Slayer?” Yuki asks excitedly. “They made a movie! It just came out back home and my brother said I had to see it.”
    "Watched the first season during a long flight back from Auckland. Quite good. The yellowed-haired boy needs to sleep more, in my opinion." Manny says before getting cozy on the couch.

Sidney raises an eyebrow at Manny saying that Zylas seems okay, but keeps her mouth shut about it.

Once Yuki verifies everyone’s ready, she has Mimi start the movie.

About halfway through, Sidney waits for a quiet moment in the movie before getting up. “Don’t wait for me,” she says as she walks toward the living quarters.

Though Drake starts out uninterested, it’s not long before he shuts his book and actually starts watching. Yuki and Aeryn actually tear up a little at the end.

A few minutes after the credits have rolled, Mimi’s voice come over the speakers. “Aeryn, Yuki, and Manny, would you please stay in the living room? Seraph has a mission for you and he will be down in a moment.”
    "Sounds good. I'd rather not move after such a draining movie. Who thought the ending would be so devastating?" Manny says taking in a deep breath before letting it out in a controlled stream. He's also made a note of Sidney's action and reactions up to her departure during the film.

I think I should talk to her when I can.

"Not one to normally let movies and shows get to me. but he was so earnest. It felt genuine."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-09-30 at 03:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Raphael
    Feris observes Raphael’s reaction to the blood and seems more than a little interested at the other vampire’s lack of response. “Thank you, Cassie,” he says after he takes a drink. “Please leave us for now.”

The woman takes the silver platter and quickly bows her head to each vampire before taking her leave, returning through the back door.

Once she’s gone, Feris waits a moment to confirm the door is shut before continuing. “First of all, Miss von Stein was glad to hear that the the tale of your demise was greatly exaggerated. We had heard that you had fallen to a Dark Watch detachment lead by Cassandra Lovelace herself,” Feris says before gesturing at Raphael. “Obviously, she did not manage to destroy you, and you did inflict significant casualties on her unit despite being greatly outnumbered, according to reports that we’ve gathered. We haven’t yet tracked down her safe house, but if you would like, I could pass along the information when we find it,” he offers.

The vampire leans back in his chair, swirling his drink slowly. “Second, Miss von Stein has a request for you. There’s a Clan Brutenstein member that fancies himself as a mad scientist of sorts. His name is Richard Isaac. A few nights ago, one of the Kindred that we have shadowing him reported that she saw some kind of… vampire-demon hybrid emerge from the roof of his building. It attacked several humans indiscriminately before it was dispatched by Eidolon. She also said that she saw several more in cages before she felt like she had overstayed her welcome and retreated to report to Miss von Stein. We would like for you to investigate and shut down his laboratory. If Dr. Isaac is there and he resists you, kill him. He has become more trouble than he’s worth, creating such abominations.”

Keith and Manny
    It’s not too long after Keith comes downstairs that Seraph enters the living room.

“Kenzie and Wolf from South Side are asking for back up,” the angel says. “I need you four to go meet them. They’re currently waiting near St. Mary’s church.”

John
    “That he is,” Stella agrees.

Emi shakes her head. “As with Draconian, your dragon’s mind was strongly shielded. He did not choose to speak with me.”

“It doesn’t take much to offend him,” Stella says with a small sigh. “I did speak to him, later on Saturday, and he seemed appreciative that you had helped to calm me down.”

Emi gives Stella a soft smile. “I’m glad that Raphael has returned.”

“Me too,” Stella murmurs back.

Lana returns with a tray of drinks. “Rosè, gin and tonic, and a Gray Goose and cranberry,” she says, mostly to herself. “Would you like to start with any appetizers?”

“Could we get an order of the bacon wrapped scallops?” Emi asks before looking over at Stella and John. The sorceress shakes her head.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-01 at 12:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

GreataxeFighterGuy

Keith and Manny
    It’s not too long after Keith comes downstairs that Seraph enters the living room.

“Kenzie and Wolf from South Side are asking for back up,” the angel says. “I need you four to go meet them. They’re currently waiting near St. Mary’s church.”
    "We're on the way. Which--ever that way is." Manny says, gearing up. "We know what the situation is?"
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-01 at 09:17 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96

OldWizardGuy

“That he is,” Stella agrees.

Emi shakes her head. “As with Draconian, your dragon’s mind was strongly shielded. He did not choose to speak with me.”

“It doesn’t take much to offend him,” Stella says with a small sigh. “I did speak to him, later on Saturday, and he seemed appreciative that you had helped to calm me down.”

Emi gives Stella a soft smile. “I’m glad that Raphael has returned.”

“Me too,” Stella murmurs back.
    “Please offer my respects when you speak with Jaal next,” John requested with a mischievous smile towards Emi. “I’m doing my best to build bridges with the dragons in my immediate circle and I would be honored to stay on his good side.”

Her response to Emi was somewhat more subdued that John anticipated. Whatever was happening here had shaken her. As much as he would like to let down his guard and just relax, he could feel his passive senses and his awareness levels incrementing back up to normal.

It wasn’t just his concern for Stella. Emi’s senses were being masked by Stella’s curse and she had a sensitivity to magic that may or may not include the powers wielded by vampires (He did not want to underestimate her, but it was almost certain that it did.). He wanted to maximize the amount of time he gave Harbinger to rest and a magical battle in the Lounge of 5th Chapter would do nothing for their secret identities — even if it would solve the mystery of how he could have possibly met Emi for the patrons — especially for some of the better looking men who had glanced at them as they entered as they reassessed their partners for the evening.

He hoped the partners had noted that. The ones who were startled and mentioned Emi’s name might be in a kind of trouble but at least they were dancing with the one they came with.

Some of the unattached gentlemen at the bar — especially the ones who did not appear to be there as a couple, still bore watching.

Lana returns with a tray of drinks. “Rosè, gin and tonic, and a Gray Goose and cranberry,” she says, mostly to herself. “Would you like to start with any appetizers?”

“Could we get an order of the bacon wrapped scallops?” Emi asks before looking over at Stella and John. The sorceress shakes her head.
    “A half plate of the oysters as well,” John replied to Lana with a smile. While 5th Chapter was a high-price establishment, we began to prepare himself for the inevitable disappointment. There were too many locations along the New England coast where the oysters were farmed and served by the same operation. The list price signaled that 5th Chapter’s had been brought in from the coast on ice. He didn’t doubt that they would be good here, but they would not be the same.

John glanced at his watch as it buzzed with his family’s pattern, seeing the message from his mother.
    Spoiler: Text from Mom
    Show
    “Please ask Miss Shaw what kinds of dessert she would prefer when she visits.”

“There’s a spell in Cassanova’s occult notes that limits the effects of alcohol,” John noted quietly to Stella following Lena’s departure. “I don’t know if you are familiar with it. He developed it after a less reputable French nobleman plied him with wine in Lyon and took advantage of the situation. I can get it written out for you and help transcribe it into your system of magic at some point, if you would like. While you might be safe with Raphael, it’s still a handy spell to have in your arsenal.”

Another buzz was followed almost immediately.
    Spoiler: A Text from Stephen
    Show
    “I’m not sure if I should be excited for you or in despair because mom has assigned me the silver polishing since you are not here.”

“Excuse me,” he offered to the ladies. “A pair of messages from my mother and my brother.”

Spoiler: A quick text to Stephen
    Show
    “Anticipate the easier jobs, little brother, and start those. It will get you out of the less palatable ones.”

He swiped a response on his watch as he smiled at Emi. Rhode Island is beginning to prepare for your visit. I didn’t know if it was a subject for discussion in front of others.

Spoiler: A response from Stephen
    Show
    “Kate, Jefferey, and dad learned about the visit before me,” Stephen replied. “Can’t complain. I have a song to practice so am getting less work to do.”

7. - Top - End - #97

AssassinGuy

Keith and Manny

“Kenzie and Wolf from South Side are asking for back up,” the angel says. “I need you four to go meet them. They’re currently waiting near St. Mary’s church."
    Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    "We're on the way. Which--ever that way is." Manny says, gearing up. "We know what the situation is?"
    Keith waves at the others in the living room when he comes down and takes a free space to stand. Figured he'd have to be ready right away.

At Seraph's orders for the mission, and Manny's response, Keith nods.

"It's not too far a flight from here, maybe 10 minutes tops. Wait can you fly?" He then turned back to Seraph.

"If not, certain they can fill us in. Probably best to go soon."

He then turned to Yuki and Aeryn. "Know y'all told me a bit about Wolf, anything for Kenzie we should watch for? Or stay out of the way of?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quiet Chat:

"If they'd come better prepared, I'm not sure they'd be rumors." Raphael admits. He considers Feris' offer a moment before nodding. "Yes... I think knowing where Ms. Lovelace is shacking up would be beneficial."

The young vampire's expression darkens as Feris describes the work of the errant Dr. Isaac, but he can't stop a grim smile from creeping across his face as Feris finishes.

"I readily appreciate why Miss Stein would feel I am most suited for this task." Raphael says, taking another sip of Cassie's blood. "And the benefits for seeing it done are as clear as the night is long... But destroying an entire lab of---" Raphael pauses a moment, searching for the right word before simply sneering "Hybrids and culling a rogue member of the family is no trifling manner."

A proper noble wouldn't actually mention or request compensation. He muses, quickly. Weighing the considerations of playing to type vs. stereotype.

He decides to let it hang, and pivots, "What's he supposed to be working on?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Spoiler: Meanwhile, up on the Roof
    Show
    Once Keith leaves, Ryker goes and sits on the couch while Sidney tinkers with Elvira, hooking her up to her laptop via Bluetooth to update her programs and quickly tightening any loose bolts that are about to fall out that she can find.

Ryker watches her work, trying to figure out exactly how to tell her what he’d done earlier— how to tell her that he’d made out with his ex and enjoyed it until he realized what he was doing. He’d betrayed her trust, and it felt like a knife straight through his ribs into his heart. It hurt. The distance she’d put between them lately hurt too. It wasn’t like her.

Was it really just as simple as what he and Keith had talked about? Did she just wanna hear three little words that he couldn’t bring himself to curse her with? He knew it was stupid, but… what if something did happen to her? What if he was cursed? He knew now that **** like that actually existed.

He blinks, and realizes that Sidney had been looking at him too. Watching him think.

She lets out a deep sigh as she puts her tools back in her toolbox and closes it. “What are you thinking about so hard over here?” she asks as she drops down on the couch next to him and takes his hand.

“You,” he replies simply.

She doesn’t look him in the eye, instead focusing on their intertwined fingers. Eventually, she starts to trace the head of the viper tattooed on the back of his hand. “Anything specific?”

Ryker pulls his hand away and leans forward, bracing his elbows on his knees. He can’t look at her as he takes a breath, deeper than he meant as his ribs briefly feel like they’ve caught fire. He rides out the pain and decides to commit to his current course of action. He’d promised her years ago that he would always be as honest as possible with her. “Sid, while Louis and I were out today, we saved a couple of girls from a Rook safe house. One of them I knew. Her name’s Aria. She’s my ex, the only other long term relationship I’ve had other than with you. Anyway, Leo messed me up and Louis made me take a ride to the hospital. She ended up there too, and she kinda talked me out of leaving after I got pissed that the nurses were tryin’ to drug me up.”

He sneaks a glance over at her and finds her watching the side of his face, listening intently.

“I’m gonna be honest with you, Sid,” Ryker says. He watches her eyes narrow in suspicion. “She kissed me. I didn’t stop her. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

His heart gets stabbed again as she leans away from him and looks away. “I’ve been back for three days, and you’re already bored?” she asks in a low voice. The venom in her tone gets stronger as she continues, “Just couldn’t wait to stick your tongue down some other girl’s throat, huh?”

“No! **** Sid, it was a mistake,” he responds. “She didn’t know I had another girlfriend. You know how much you mean to me. I—” Love you. He tries to reach out for one of her hands and she pulls away before getting to her feet.

“Then why didn’t you stop her?” Sidney asks in the same quiet, acidic tone.

Ryker bows his head, running his fingers through his hair. “I don’t know.”

“Jesus, Ryker.” Sidney’s breath hitches in her chest, but she gets control of it. “I thought you were better than this. Despite everyone around me telling me that you’re just a thug, a ****ing no good Rook, I believed in you. I trusted you.” She takes a second to pause and get her thoughts under control. “Were there others? Before today? What else have you been hiding from me?”

“Nothing,” Ryker answers empathetically as he looks up at her. “There haven’t been any other girls, I swear. Earlier, I don’t know why I didn’t stop her. I ****ed up.” He gets quiet, looking deep into her furious, betrayed eyes. “I’m sorry, Sidney.”

Sidney turns her back to him, and he just barely catches the glint of a tear rolling down her cheek. Another stab to his chest.

Ryker stands and hesitates for a moment before he tries to pull her into his arms, but she steps away.

“Don’t touch me,” she hisses, making him flinch back. Sidney stands frozen for a moment longer before she runs over and hops on Elvira’s back. The vulture spreads her ragged wings and leaps off the edge of the roof before he can even react.

Ryker watches as the two of them hastily gain altitude and fade into the low clouds. He’s stunned, numb to the world as he once again climbs up onto the lip of the roof and sits before he lights a cigarette, staring at the spot of dark gray the love of his life had disappeared into.

He’d just gotten her back and now she was gone again. And it’s my fault, he thinks as the knife twists again. Just one more thing he’d ****ed up beyond repair.

Raphael
    “You speak the truth,” Feris replies. “It is not a trifling matter. We need someone from outside the clan to assist us, and you have the additional advantage that you’re part of a provisional hero team. Eidolon could have easily passed along information that could lead you to Dr. Isaac’s lab.”

“We don’t know what his end goal is, just that he has stepped outside the bounds of what Miss von Stein is willing to accept. He has been toeing that line for many years, but this is too far.”

The vampire takes another sip. “Here’s where the negotiations come in. Miss von Stein is prepared to offer you compensation for your efforts, of course. We know what we are asking is not a facile task. Do you have something in mind that we could offer you?”

Manny and Keith
    Yuki squeezes Drake hand before standing and addressing Keith. “Not really. Her codename is Paradox and she has telekinetic powers and super-strength. Her personality is better met than explained. She is nice though.”

“As long as you don’t make her mad,” Aeryn adds.

“The only thing that Kenzie told me was that they had found something underground near the second ritual site, where some of you fought the Greater Demon. She asked for immediate backup,” Seraph says.

John
    “I will,” Stella says as Lana writes down their order and walks away. “He’ll appreciate it.”

Emi smiles at John as Stella nods. “I don’t think I have a spell that specifies alcohol. I wouldn’t mind going over that with you.”

As Emi answers John in his mind, her voice sounds faint and far away. I’m not sure speaking about family matters would be prudent in front of her. I wouldn’t want to make her uncomfortable.

10. - Top - End - #100

OldWizardGuy

“I will,” Stella says as Lana writes down their order and walks away. “He’ll appreciate it.”

Emi smiles at John as Stella nods. “I don’t think I have a spell that specifies alcohol. I wouldn’t mind going over that with you.”

As Emi answers John in his mind, her voice sounds faint and far away. I’m not sure speaking about family matters would be prudent in front of her. I wouldn’t want to make her uncomfortable.
    Family matters? An odd turn of phrase. She could, of course, be referring to Stella’s current familial state of affairs and it would be understandable, if she knew everything that he did. That thought, there had been plenty of time for her father to have briefed her and the rest of the East Side about the greater demon that had possessed her brother. With his telepathic powers, he could have easily done so in the moment it took him to sit down to meet with their new provisional hero.

It could also be that she had begun to frame her thoughts the same way that he was, linking the two of them together as a single unit with their families overlapping through them. That would be a spectacular turn of events.

It would be unlikely, though, he reminded himself. They had known one another less than a week. Granted, they had started dating within the first five minutes of meeting and she had acknowledged the ‘first sight thing’ being a part of what was happening, but it would not be rational to begin to think in those terms in so short a time.

He wasn’t sure what his excuse was for doing so — other than frankly acknowledging how wonderful Emi was. How could he not react that way?

Which made her father’s response that he had not overheard any men think in terms of him being a future father-in-law — only the women pursuing his son — so much the stranger.

Focus, John.

Your father briefed you, then? John projected as casually as he could, lest the echo of Corgi puppies intrude on his projection.

“I’d be happy to do so,” he offered. “It seems the kind of thing that every young woman should have access to.”

He was about to mention considering teaching it to Kate but recalled Emi’s advice and deferred, in case she had noted something that he had not.

“Is this your first time at 5th Chaper, Stella? I’m sure Lena will go over the specials and offer recommendations but I’d be interested in your take on the menu if you have sampled some of their cuisine.”

11. - Top - End - #101

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith
    Yuki squeezes Drake hand before standing and addressing Keith. “Not really. Her codename is Paradox and she has telekinetic powers and super-strength. Her personality is better met than explained. She is nice though.”

“The only thing that Kenzie told me was that they had found something underground near the second ritual site, where some of you fought the Greater Demon. She asked for immediate backup,” Seraph says.
    "Don't make her mad. Got it. Easy enough instructions." Manny says, mentally checking off his list. "I'm ready to ride, fly or whatever means we need to get there. Wait is Drake not coming?"

12. - Top - End - #102

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith

Keith nods as Aeryn and Yuki explain about Kenzie. "Sounds a lot like someone else I know. Should be interesting!"

He then tilts his head as Seraph mentions the other underground site. Odd since they had wanted to go there earlier, and never did. He would probably need to take pictures or something for John. And he still needed to figure out an actual date plan. Oh, and tell Kylie about the plan.

"I'll take some pictures for John then when we get there and finish up. He'll probably want all the information anyway."

"Don't make her mad. Got it. Easy enough instructions." Manny says, mentally checking off his list. "I'm ready to ride, fly or whatever means we need to get there. Wait is Drake not coming?"
    Keith chuckles a bit. "Yeah, let's not anger the telekinetic, super strong woman. So guess that does mean you can fly, makes things a bit easier. And hey that means someone else at West Side can join the air squad!" He just grinned at the thought.

"Drake's most likely still recovering from earlier. Which, sorry again Drake."

13. - Top - End - #103

NinjaGuy

First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Iris
    Iris is intrigued that Louis seems to know the hero. “I guess if you’re working with Ryker you’ve seen Harbinger up close. Is he really that old? He's never really on the news.”
    "I guess he ain't that old all things considered but I think all the years of herowork have really taken a toll on the guy." Louis confesses. "Could probably use a vacation or two though he strikes me as the type who wouldn't know what to do with the time off the clock."

“This is definitely not how I saw my day going,” she admits with sigh. “I don’t know if I’ll be in trouble or not. It depends on if Leo thinks I was working with you guys, I guess. But if he has a complaint about it, he has to go through Lady Orchid.”

She looks back up at Louis. “Wait. You said you went by Redline in the house right? You’re a part of West Side Provisional Team? That Redline?”
    Louis sits upright in his chair as Iris suddenly makes the connection between the meta and the hero team he belongs to. His trademark grin resurfaces as a block of text scrolls outward from the wall behind him, framing the hero within her field of vision.

REDLINE
    Power: Photon Manipulation

Affiliation: West Side Provisional Team
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 162 lbs
    Hates: Unexplained Phenomena (Magic)
    "Yeah, that's me." He answers pridefully, thumbing back at the the block of text. "You a fan?"

Choices and Consequences

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    Raphael briefly considers retrieving another blood bag and simply pouring some out. Instead he looks Louis and the eyes and just says "Yes. I'm really a vampire."
    "Okay, now I really can't tell if you're joking or not Raph." He says brushing away the hand of the apparition, forcing it to fade away in the same manner it appeared. "So you were born... 'different', I get that, but that doesn't make you monster. Besides, vampires don't really exist." Louis says, shaking his head to dismiss the thought. "They're just oldworld folklore meant to spook people who didn't know any better. And if you really were one wouldn't you be pretty crispy by now?" He holds out a hand, catching a ray of intensified sunlight. "I don't recall anything about creatures of the night being able to hold entire conversations on a city curb in broad daylight."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Family Favors:

Raphael sucks a breath in past his teeth. A Blank Check from the Lady von Stein...

an 'in' with his own coterie, placing people off limits, access to lore or power sufficient to break curses, turning the kindred loose on the vampires, a more impressive place to hide his coffin and sanctuary...

these, and dozen more ideas come unbidden, bubbling up from some long stoppered-up wellspring of ambition The Duke Rothmyer hadn't even known he'd possessed. A flood of avarice and scheming that had him mentally and nearly physically reeling.

He clears his throat, coming back to himself.

"I would need to give that.... some serious consideration." Raphael says at last. "The Favor and Gratitude of Miss Stein is not to be squandered thoughtlessly." He continues in a whisper, mostly to himself.

He drinks again, taking several long gulps of Cassie's blood.

His eyes rove the room, considering before coming back to Feris' much older, deeper gaze. "I will see this thing done. For what, I do not yet know." He declares.

He Ain't Heavy, He Thick:

Raphael tilts his head and gives Louis a look that screams skepticism and "Are you kidding me, dude?"

He sighs and pushes himself to his feet, faceless helmet in hand. "You're right Louis, they don't." He says, putting his helmet on and locking it into place.

"Neither do Demons. Or Magic. Or Dragons. Or Angels." He starts to walk away, turning to still face Louis as he walks backwards. "Or Alternate Dimensions, Or Ghosts, or Giant Mecha, or Aliens..." Nightgaunt keeps rattling off paranormal and sci-fi entities until he hits a building across the street and starts to walk backwards up it.

He offers his friend a mock-salute and says "I'll see you back home." Before falling apart into a double handful of corvids that rise, cawing mockingly, up into the sky.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Nightgaunt clears Guilty
    Last edited by big teej; 2022-10-01 at 10:35 PM. Reason: one less condition!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    He did, Emi projects. While we drove over here, he was telling me about her brother and mother.

“I’ve been here a few times,” Stella answers. “But it was when I was very young. My mother would occasionally have business here and I was young enough that she couldn’t leave me alone at the house, so I would stay upstairs in the cafe until she was finished and then we would usually eat down here after.”

The sorceress takes a drink of her vodka cranberry. “I’ll wait for Raphael to order food. I’m not in any hurry anyway.”

Manny and Keith
    Drake waves away Keith’s apology. “It’s all good. Honestly, I’m glad it came after me and not you or John or Yuki. As bad as I got hurt, you guys probably would’ve died.”

Seraph nods to Keith. “Drake and Ryker were injured early today. I told Kenzie I could send four of you over and she thought that was more than enough extra hands.”

Yuki and Aeryn head up to the roof, but pause before heading out as they see Ryker perched on the edge of the roof.

“Are you out here alone?” Yuki asks.

Ryker doesn’t answer, instead taking another puff on his cigarette as he looks up into the rapidly darkening sky.

Raphael
    Feris gazes at Raphael a long moment. “Miss von Stein does not like leaving open favors, but for this instance, I suppose it will be fine. Thank you, Mr. Rothmyer. I trust you’ll be discreet on where you acquired the information about Dr. Isaac.”

He drains his glass. “This was absolutely exquisite, was it not? For our first meeting, I wished to share something rare, that most vampires will never have the fortune of tasting.”

16. - Top - End - #106

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith
    Drake waves away Keith’s apology. “It’s all good. Honestly, I’m glad it came after me and not you or John or Yuki. As bad as I got hurt, you guys probably would’ve died.”

Seraph nods to Keith. “Drake and Ryker were injured early today. I told Kenzie I could send four of you over and she thought that was more than enough extra hands.”

Yuki and Aeryn head up to the roof, but pause before heading out as they see Ryker perched on the edge of the roof.

Ryker doesn’t answer, instead taking another puff on his cigarette as he looks up into the rapidly darkening sky.
    "I see. Well tend to your wounds and we'll be off then." Manny says with a smile. "Back before you miss us."

As Manny makes it to the roof behinds Yuki and Aeryn, he spots Ryker brooding on the edge.

He hears Yuki's question and Ryker's non-answer and doesn't say anything. He's seen the look enough to know. "Let's get going." Manny says floating off the roof following whoever's leading.

17. - Top - End - #107

OldWizardGuy

John
    He did, Emi projects. While we drove over here, he was telling me about her brother and mother.
    Was that a general briefing or more of a heads up for you? The timing was curious. Given that much of the drive over was taken up by their conversation with Kate and Jefferey, it might imply that she had already coordinated the trip to Rhode Island with her father — making certain that it was okay for her to go and, based on her conversation about airports, that it was okay to borrow the family plane for the trip.

An unusual thing to ask to borrow, he considered. Still, it was a more than unusual world he was living in.

It did make clear the family she was referencing, he noted with an odd mixture of relaxation and disappointment.

“I’ve been here a few times,” Stella answers. “But it was when I was very young. My mother would occasionally have business here and I was young enough that she couldn’t leave me alone at the house, so I would stay upstairs in the cafe until she was finished and then we would usually eat down here after.”

The sorceress takes a drink of her vodka cranberry. “I’ll wait for Raphael to order food. I’m not in any hurry anyway.”
    John wished he did not hear alarm bells at the revelation her mother had been here on business in the past. A one-off visit might be explained by the equivalent of a quick house call. Multiple visits implied something different — an established connection to (assuming he was correct about Raphael’s meeting) to the Iron Station vampiric community. Such a connection could be beneficial to a practitioner who focused on healing and who might need occasional assistance in a town that had the Crowns and Rooks shaking locations down for protection money.

It would be more beneficial for both to declare her clinic neutral ground, giving them a safe place to get patched up. That, however, assumed it was not so deep in one of their territories as to render it inaccessible to the other. He did not know where those borders lay.

Perhaps he should speak to Ryker or Sidney about that. Having a sense of where demons would be supporting — or have support from — the local gang would be useful for him to know.

Deep in his mind, he turned his attention from the puzzle of Emi from across the room and viewed the pieces of the 5th Chapter puzzle spread across the table and paused as the table shifted to sit next to Raphael’s. He was beginning to build patterns based on too many assumptions — beginning with the assumption that this location was connected to the Iron Station vampiric underground. The pieces seemed to fit together but he could not yet be certain he was not forcing them together or arranging them based on a flawed assumption.

The piece that fell into place without question — one that opened a gap in a puzzle — was the apparent absence of a father figure — one that could watch her while her mother was making a house call — in Stella’s life. Yes, that could have just been a scheduling issue but there was no implication in her statement of an occasional absence and there had been no indication of one in the discussions of her brother or as a signatory to the paperwork in the hospital.

He would have to ask Mimi about that when he returned this evening. It was unlikely to have bearing on the issue of the greater demon but he would be unable to have a conversation with Stella in order to confirm that.

His glance returned to the table with the puzzle of Emi on it. Pieces consumed to shift and swirl, as if they were fallen leaves caught by the eddying wind — shifting themselves into patterns that were more or less positive. He knew part of that was the impact of his own emotions — alternately showing him the things he most wanted to see and most feared to see. Another part, however, was that there were too many things he could not see or understand. He had no idea how to account for a familial relationship that included the ability to have an extended conversation — one that would last hours in real time — remotely in the blink of an eye. That these conversations might take place did not bother him. It was that he could not account for them, in terms of the time that it took for them to happen.

He glanced at Emi and felt his thoughts begin to scatter. That was not all bad. There was a contentment at seeing her, knowing she was in the world, and a quiet joy at knowing she was a part of his life.

He had looked at her a half a beat too long again.

“If you would like some of the oysters to tide you over while you wait,” he offered Stella with as he tried to clear his thoughts, “don’t hesitate to take as many as you like. I’m fairly certain we can persuade Lana to bring more.”

18. - Top - End - #108

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith

"I see. Well tend to your wounds and we'll be off then." Manny says with a smile. "Back before you miss us."

As Manny makes it to the roof behinds Yuki and Aeryn, he spots Ryker brooding on the edge.

He hears Yuki's question and Ryker's non-answer and doesn't say anything. He's seen the look enough to know. "Let's get going." Manny says floating off the roof following whoever's leading.
    Keith smiles and nods. "Can't argue with ya there. In that case, we'll make ya proud over there."

Following them outside, Keith stops seeing Ryker by himself knowing that Sidney was just there. And now Elvira is missing. He wondered what happened since there was a missing person from what he just saw a moment ago.

"Did Sidney go back downstairs? Come to think of it, what happened to V?"
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-02 at 05:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny and Keith
    Ryker still doesn’t answer Keith’s questions. His gaze is firmly fixed on a point just above the trees of Aubrey Park.

Aeryn exchanges a concerned glance with Yuki and floats up to Ryker’s side before putting a hand on his shoulder.

The former villain starts a little before looking over at his teammate, then back at everyone else on the roof.

“Sidney left on Elvira,” Mimi says. “She asked me to give her at least ten minutes before informing the team.”

“Yeah,” Ryker mutters before he takes a long drag. “She’s gone.”

John
    We were speaking about her curse and the Greater Demon and I asked if he knew anything more about her, Emi replies.

Stella makes a face at the thought of eating oysters. “I’m good John. Thanks for the offer though.”

Emi grins. “I agree with you, Stella. Oysters aren’t my thing either. Would you eat scallops though? Or are you a no shellfish kind of girl?”

“I’ll try one,” the sorceress says. “I don’t think I’ve had one since I was a child, and I don’t remember if I liked it or not.”

Louis
    Iris smiles, one of the first true smiles that Louis has seen from her, as the words appear out of the wall. “That’s so cool,” she says. “I can’t say that I was a fan before, but after today, I think I am.”

A few doors down, the blonde doctor emerges and looks down the hall toward the two of them before making her way over. “Louis and Iris, right?”

Iris nods. “Yes ma’am.”

“I’m Dr. Snowblood, Ryker’s attending physician. I’ve treated him and he should be fully healed by tomorrow, but I thought you would want to know the extent of the injuries that he sustained, since he probably won’t tell you himself,” she says with the slightest roll of her eyes.

“He has a pretty bad concussion from the impact of a screw on his forehead, which caused a nasty cut. I’m surprised he didn’t have a skull fracture, honestly. He also has four broken ribs and several burns and abrasions on his shoulders and chest. Please try to make sure he takes it easy at least until tomorrow.”

OOC: SESSION ENDS
    Everyone gains 2xp. Masks moves reset. Cards will be updated in Discord
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-02 at 07:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

OldWizardGuy

We were speaking about her curse and the Greater Demon and I asked if he knew anything more about her, Emi replies.
    Not the kind of thing most fathers have to warn their daughters about before they go out with a gentleman caller, John projects back with a touch of amusement. Of course, it did make him wonder why they were speaking of Stella — unless, again, Mr. Shaw felt the need to bring her up to speed after the events of the day.

Stella makes a face at the thought of eating oysters. “I’m good John. Thanks for the offer though.”

Emi grins. “I agree with you, Stella. Oysters aren’t my thing either. Would you eat scallops though? Or are you a no shellfish kind of girl?”

“I’ll try one,” the sorceress says. “I don’t think I’ve had one since I was a child, and I don’t remember if I liked it or not.”
    John smiles at the ladies. “The hot sauce or horseradish can help but I can understand if you dislike the feel of them. I really never understood how spoiled I was growing up, in terms of the seafood that was available to us until I went to London and then came here. Even as close as we are to the Gulf, it isn’t the same as being able to visit the local fish market and see what came in that morning.”

He wondered if Kylie felt the same way about steak but didn’t dare ask in front of Stella. Again, her home state was not his secret to divulge.

“Have you gotten to travel much, Stella?” John asked. “With the exception of London and some visits to the Continent, I’ve spent most of my life in New England — much more parochial than Emi. Have you gotten to see much of this world?”

OOC: John gains 2 XP.

Although it is more broadly defined, John grows closer to the team — both in terms of West Side (e.g., Drake pulling him out of harm’s way, working with Keith on their interviews and briefings) and East Side (pretending to talk about cars with Zack and Kenzie). It doesn’t hurt that his awareness of just how big a problem they are facing is growing, as his sense of how much they will all need one another to solve it. John marks Potential and gives Influence back to Raphael, recognizing that he had been unfair to him over the course of the day.

21. - Top - End - #111

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith
    Ryker still doesn’t answer Keith’s questions. His gaze is firmly fixed on a point just above the trees of Aubrey Park.

Aeryn exchanges a concerned glance with Yuki and floats up to Ryker’s side before putting a hand on his shoulder.

The former villain starts a little before looking over at his teammate, then back at everyone else on the roof.

“Sidney left on Elvira,” Mimi says. “She asked me to give her at least ten minutes before informing the team.”

"Mimi You just let her leave yeah? Knowing what'll happen if... " Manny says, pausing to take a breath as his normally relaxed veneer being peeled away at the notion of dealing with 2 burgeoning problems simultaneously and his accent getting heavier. He looks over to Ryker. She didn't happen to tell you where she was going, mate?" Manny asks.

Spoiler: OOC End of Session stuff
    Show

Raised Notice to d6. Grew into my own image of myself. Getting comfortable in my new town and surroundings.
    Benny XP: 1 Bonus XP
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-03 at 06:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

NinjaGuy

Doctor's Orders

Iris smiles, one of the first true smiles that Louis has seen from her, as the words appear out of the wall. “That’s so cool,” she says. “I can’t say that I was a fan before, but after today, I think I am.”
    The block of text scrolls to the right fading away as it moves out of view. "Thanks. I'll make sure you get the VIP treatment at West Side's next public appearance. Not that there'd be much of a crowd anyway." Louis sighs.

A few doors down, the blonde doctor emerges and looks down the hall toward the two of them before making her way over. “Louis and Iris, right?”

Iris nods. "Yes ma’am.”

“I’m Dr. Snowblood, Ryker's attending physician. I’ve treated him and he should be fully healed by tomorrow, but I thought you would want to know the injuries that he sustained, since he probably won’t tell you himself,” she says with the slightest roll of her eyes.

“He has a pretty bad concussion from the impact of a screw on his forehead, which caused a nasty cut. I'm surprised he didn’t have a skull fracture, honestly. He also has four broken ribs and several burns and abrasions on his shoulders and chest. Please try to make sure he takes it easy at least until tomorrow.”
    Louis whistles in a low tone as Snowblood reviews Ryker’s injuries. "He still looks pretty good for someone who got put through a brick wall less than an hour ago right?. Sounds like that that thick skull of his came in clutch." He snickers a bit. "Thanks for your help today Doc. I'll make sure get him home safely and tucked into bed by 9. You wouldn't happen to have any lollipops on hand would you? I think he'd like one but he's probably too embarrassed to ask you."

23. - Top - End - #113

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith

Keith winces and looks at where Ryker had been looking. He should have figured since that was the look he had from seeing Kylie and them fly off the other day. He shook his head and took a deep breath. He just had to leave them out here alone.

"We should tell Seraph either way. Did she say anything else Mimi?"

Spoiler: End of Session!
    Show

Keith gains 2 XP!
    Benny EXP: 1d6 1 1d6 2
    Both Bennies convert to Potential, Keith gains a MASKs Advance.

No idea what to take as of yet.

Keith Grows closer to the team, and feels that he has by Yuki being a friend and treating him like someone worthwhile in the group. Yuki gains Influence over Keith!
    Clears Insecure After coming to terms with the fact that he should just be himself.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-03 at 07:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Family Favors:

"I have developed a reputation for being able to furnish my colleagues with useful information from unidentified sources." Raphael says.

He rolls his eyes. "Actually, at this point they just know better than to ask. My answers are always so helpful." He shrugs at the fellow vampire, some of his usual demeanor creeping in.

Raphael considers Feris words, eyeing the glass of Cassie's blood carefully before slowly finishing his glass as well. "I am honored by the experience." He says, rising to his feet and setting down his glass.

He looks down a moment, considering his next words before looking back up at Feris and saying "Please do not hesitate to call on me again. As the demons allow, I will be here."

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show

Nightgaunt forfeits "Out of the Frying Pan" and maintains "Noble Sacrifice"

End of Session: Per the Sidewalk Chat with Louis, Raphael definitely feels closer to the team. Louis already has Influence over Raphael and gets to shift his labels, in the meantime, clearing Hopeless. Leaving our vampire, merely an angry boi

Doomed End of Session - for once, YES I did make progress towards defeating my Nemesis. Nightgaunt marks Potential.

2 exp pushes Nightgaunt over into 31 and lets him pick up an Advance: Acquired Elan

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Keith and Manny
    “She asked me nicely,” Mimi replies. “And she assured me that she was only leaving to clear her head. I will inform Seraph for you.”

Ryker shakes his head. “She could be halfway across town by now if she wanted. Assumin’ V still has fuel left. I… think she’ll be back. She doesn’t have anywhere else to go.”

“Maybe you can get Louis and Drake to help you go look for her?” Yuki offers. “You’ll find her, Ryker.” She transforms into her cockatrice form and opens her wings. “We should get going. Kenzie wouldn’t ask for help unless she really needed it.”

Aeryn pats Ryker’s shoulder and floats up, waiting for Yuki before flying toward St. Mary’s Church.

John
    “Not often,” Stella replies. “My mother’s clinic kept her busy. We did get to go to France once when I was nine, to visit my grandparents. They live in Narbonne.”

“A very pretty city,” Emi says. “Not far from the Mediterranean. I do love Southern France.”

“I wish I’d appreciated it more when we went,” Stella replies sheepishly. “It was beautiful. My—“ she stops herself and clears her throat before taking a drink. “My mother misses it terribly.”

Louis
    The doctor lets out a small huff of laughter. “No doubt. Unfortunately, I’ve already finished scaring the kids for today. I’m fresh out of lollipops.”

“I’m just waiting for a blood sample to come back from the lab, then I’ll release him to you, Louis.”

“Can I go back in there with him until it comes back?” Iris asks.

Dr. Snowblood nods. “As long as you keep him in bed and don’t let him leave until I let him go, that’s fine.”

Iris says a quick thank you and returns to Ryker’s room as the nurse that has been working with Izzy comes to find Louis. “You can come back in if you would like.”

Spoiler: If Louis Returns to Izzy’s Room
    Show
    When Louis comes back in, he can see that Izzy’s eyes are red and puffy, like she’s been crying. She smiles at him though. Whatever medication they’ve given her seems to have perked her up considerably, as she seems much more aware of herself and her surroundings. “So, I’m pretty sure that I saw you at the Machine Shop when I played. Did you like it?”

Raphael
    Feris smiles as he crosses an ankle over his knee. “I’ll be sure to do so. This was a pleasure, Mr. Rothmyer. I look forward to working with you in the future.”

Once downstairs in the lounge, Raphael is greeted by a small woman in the same black uniform as the host in the cafe. She starts to lead him to an empty small circular table on one side of the lounge that’s fairly close to the jazz band that’s playing, before she looks around and stops for a moment. She then leads Raphael to a corner booth, where he sees Stella is sitting with John and a very, very pretty blonde woman.

Stella smiles when she spots him. “Good to see you again, mon chéri.”

Spoiler: CCM- TN 4
    Show
    The woman is Siren, a powerful telepath and telekinetic that works on Myriad’s East Side team.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-05 at 08:49 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

AssassinGuy

Keith and Manny
    “She asked me nicely,” Mimi replies. “And she assured me that she was only leaving to clear her head. I will inform Seraph for you.”

Ryker shakes his head. “She could be halfway across town by now if she wanted. Assumin’ V still has fuel left. I… think she’ll be back. She doesn’t have anywhere else to go.”

“Maybe you can get Louis and Drake to help you go look for her?” Yuki offers. “You’ll find her, Ryker.” She transforms into her cockatrice form and opens her wings. “We should get going. Kenzie wouldn’t ask for help unless she really needed it.”

Aeryn pats Ryker’s shoulder and floats up, waiting for Yuki before flying toward St. Mary’s Church.
    Keith can't help but huff a laugh when Mimi says that Sid asked her nicely. It made sense afterall, Mimi did love manners.

"Thank you, Mimi. And I'm sure she'll be back in a bit just like you said." Keith thinks for a moment as Yuki makes a suggestion. "I'm sure Drake and Louis wouldn't mind going back out for some chill time either."

He just nods when Yuki says they should get going, and walks back by to pat Ryker's shoulder as he floats up after Aeryn. "I'll fly around and look after this." He says to Ryker as he flies after Yuki and Aeryn.

As they fly, Keith can't help but chuckle a bit. "Ya know, I love getting to go on missions with you two! And it's good we got another flyer too!"

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Keith spends his last 2 Power Points on Danger Sense!
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-03 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Spending last Power Points

27. - Top - End - #117

OldWizardGuy

“Not often,” Stella replies. “My mother’s clinic kept her busy. We did get to go to France once when I was nine, to visit my grandparents. They live in Narbonne.”

“A very pretty city,” Emi says. “Not far from the Mediterranean. I do love Southern France.”

“I wish I’d appreciated it more when we went,” Stella replies sheepishly. “It was beautiful. My—“ she stops herself and clears her throat before taking a drink. “My mother misses it terribly.”
    French-French descent, then, John thought, rather than Acadian. He had thought he had noted that in her accent but the local dialects had caused some drift, making it impossible to say for certain what was local, what was learned at home, and what might have come from classroom training.

“Perhaps we can arrange a trip for her after her recovery, then,” John offers gently. “People have been traveling to the South of France for their health for quite some time. I’m not sure if Paris or Geneva is closer to Narbonne, but whichever of those two cities is the closer is as close as I have gotten. Is it as wonderful as they say?”

Once downstairs in the lounge, Raphael is greeted by a small woman in the same black uniform as the host in the cafe. She starts to lead him to an empty small circular table on one side of the lounge that’s fairly close to the jazz band that’s playing, before she looks around and stops for a moment. She then leads Raphael to a corner booth, where he sees Stella is sitting with John and a very, very pretty blonde woman.
    Spoiler: Raphael Enters, Stage Left
    Show
    Notice Roll for Raphael’s Return: 1d10o10+4 12 1d6o6+4 15

John looked across the room as Raphael descended the staircase and encountered one of the other waitresses. “It would appear his business is done for the evening,” John observed as his friend approached.

Stella smiles when she spots him. “Good to see you again, mon chéri.”
    “Good evening, Raphael,” John greets him with absolute sincerity and offering his hand. “I’m glad to see you again under much less tense circumstances. I hope you will accept my apologies for my tenseness when we last spoke. I allowed events to get the better of me.”

He turned to Emi. “But before my manners inexcusably lapse, please allow me to introduce you to Emilia Shaw, sometimes called Siren. Emi: This is Raphael Rothmeyer, the gentleman fortunate enough to be seeing Stella.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-10-03 at 09:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

GreataxeFighterGuy

Keith and Manny

"Asked you nicely, huh? We'll she's made her decision so whatever happens, happens. Let's be on then." Manny says on a sigh, Following Yuki, Keith and Aeryn.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Well Earned R&R:

A swirl of emotions chases across Raphael's face when John and Stella greet him, his eyes flick to Emilia, and the waitress next to him.

He sighs heavily, choosing relief.

"It feels like weeks, instead of just hours." He says to John, offering his hand. "It's been a long day. You're allowed to be a mere mortal like the rest of us." Raphael says with genuine amusement and a wink.

After shaking, Raphael slides in next to Stella and gives her a peck on the cheek.

"Emilia, it's nice to meet you."

He glances around the table. "So what is my unfashionably late arrival interrupting?"

While the others fill him in, he makes a slow scan of the room, looking for anyone he needs to worry about keeping up appearances in front of.

Satisfied he can be himself, in as much as he can be himself, Raphael visibly relaxes further and turns his whole attention to the table and his companions.

who's the girl? 2
    Notice (if needed): 2

30. - Top - End - #120

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Well Earned R&R:

A swirl of emotions chases across Raphael's face when John and Stella greet him, his eyes flick to Emilia, and the waitress next to him.

He sighs heavily, choosing relief.

"It feels like weeks, instead of just hours." He says to John, offering his hand. "It's been a long day. You're allowed to be a mere mortal like the rest of us." Raphael says with genuine amusement and a wink.

After shaking, Raphael slides in next to Stella and gives her a peck on the cheek.

"Emilia, it's nice to meet you."

He glances around the table. "So what is my unfashionably late arrival interrupting?"

While the others fill him in, he makes a slow scan of the room, looking for anyone he needs to worry about keeping up appearances in front of.

Satisfied he can be himself, in as much as he can be himself, Raphael visibly relaxes further and turns his whole attention to the table and his companions.
    It appears I have miscalculated my way into a double date, John projects apologetically to Emi as he sits back down, providing time for her to return Raphael’s greetings, dragging you along with me for the ride. At least we are in the company of two who have been here before.

“Thus far,” he offers to Raphael with a smile, “we have touched on the culinary merits of different bivalves, learned that the ladies have both visited and enjoyed the South of France, and discovered Stella has been here before — albeit many years ago. Have you been here more recently? I was hoping for any recommendations you might have from the menu.”

His easy manner masked a certain internal panic. The conversation with Stella has proceeded well and she and Emi appeared to get on. Raphael was a different matter, however. He could be engaging and Stella had spoken of his warmth and generosity. The two of them, however, always seemed a half-step away from some kind of fencing match — rather than the cat and mouse game (where one could never be certain who was the mouse and who was the cat) one might expect of a vampire and an occultist tasked with helping the world. But even when he took a deep breath to muster patience or Raphael bit back the anger-fueled frustration at his cerebral caution, there had always been some kind of respect between them. Even their exchange in the Pocket Dimension, he had to concede, had been a series of feints and warnings instead of hostility or outright confrontation.

Perhaps after all of his losses, he — like Grayson — was in need of a friend. He suspected that role had been filled, to a degree, by Louis, but it never hurt to diversify in this realm.

Watching Raphael case the room made him realize that he had been so busy looking for complications and threats when they entered that he had not noted if Emi had done the same. Of course, it was also true that, while he had been able to do a quick visual sweep of the room, every time Emi came into view his attention wandered somewhat.

Comparative techniques could wait for a different time.

But still before Rhode Island.

Assuming this change of events was not going to derail that.