New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Sidney’s eyebrows pinch together at the news and her gaze drops to the ground. “What I did hurt him worse than I thought.”

Elvira lets out a clanky rumble and moves over to Sidney before she gently sets the bottom of her beak on top of Sidney’s head.

“I’m still a little mad at him though,” Sidney sighs as she pats her vulture’s chest.

On her other side, Stella squeezes her friend’s arm. “You two will get it worked out. I’m sure if he hadn’t been hit so hard in the head today, none of this would’ve happened. He loves you too much to risk losing you.”

Sidney nods slightly. “I know,” she mumbles.
    “Having an explanation doesn’t mean it won’t hurt, Songbird,” John said as he consulted the time on his heads up display. “That’s to be expected and something the two of you can work through. I’m not the psych major here, but I am guessing that wouldn’t be healthy to deny the hurt.”

John looked around what, based on the presence of the helper birds, he guessed was one of Sidney’s old hideaways. A few commends indicated that this used to be near Ryker’s old stomping grounds so her having a base of operations here would be logical.

Spoiler: Casing the Inside of the Joint
    Show
    Casing the Inside of the Joint: 1d10o10+4 12 1d6o6+4 7

If it was Sidney’s old base, that could mean there was a connection to the Rooks — either as a known safe place or it being part of their network. At least that was something he did not have to worry about. Their current conflict was with the Crowns.

It would still pay to leave sooner rather than later — if for no other reason that it would mean he could get Emi out from under the shadow of Stella’s curse and, perhaps, get her some ice cream.

He also noted that he needed to make progress on finding the place in the tri-state area near Aeon City that made her favorite Lemon Custard. True, he could just ask her but that would ruin the surprise.

Asking her father, however, could keep that secret enough to still surprise her.

Her and now, John — focus.

“How are you feeling? We have about 45 minutes left to get you out of this quarter of town. Is your flock ready to go and, more importantly, are you ready — or are you feeling a little unsteady yet?”

Getting Emi out from under Stella’s Curse’s shadow would, however, take away the potential option of stopping at Ahsford’s Coffee House to get the ice cream for Emi — and perhaps an espresso for him — while giving father and daughter a moment to say hello. He’d need to clear that with Seraph, of course, but he did not see a reason for any objection. And since Keith was there already….

He was there and did not know what was coming the way Emi and he did.

Perhaps a visit to Ashford a different night might be better. He had been the bearer of bad news to enough people and other entities today.

He could, of course, explain to him that Emi’s fatigue meant he shouldn’t pepper her with questions and there would be time tomorrow or the day after. It might not get him off the hook but it would protect Emi from having to bear Keith’s heartbreak so soon after Grayson’s.

2. - Top - End - #302

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Mr. Ashford’s eyes grow a little distant and he takes another sip of coffee. “It was a long time ago. Yeah, she was in the robotics division. One of Sidney’s first projects when she was little was built from a schematic that Cara had drawn for her before she passed away— a cute little thing that could jump from the floor up to the bar here.“

“I’m glad you have someone you can trust,” Mr. Ashford says after Keith explains about his uncle. “It’s important to have someone like that in your life.”

His smile grows a little wider as Keith compliments his baking and coffee. “Thanks,” he says before Keith continues and tell him about Sidney baking for one of the team. “Honestly, she’s better than me. She remembers recipes down to the gram and she knows all the science behind what she’s doing, where I… well, I just know that I need to put enough baking powder in to make sure the cake rises. I’m glad she was able to do something like that for your friend.”

Mr. Ashford pauses, looking down into his cup. “I was a little worried, to be honest. The letter she wrote to me was pretty vague, and I thought that maybe she was being held somewhere pretty restrictive. I know Ryker wouldn’t stand for that for long, but if it helped keep her safe, he’d do almost anything. So I’m glad to hear that she’s at least allowed to bake… wherever she is.”
    Keith notices the distance in Mr. Ashford's eyes and nods as he tells him the rest of the story. He felt himself smile at the thought of the first project Sidney had completed. Even then the baking skills, she obviously got the best parts of her parents.

"Took a short trip around Innovatech the other day. Would have loves to see more but we didn't quite get too much into the robotics area. Certainly explains Sidney's knowledge of Artificial Intelligence as well. Gets it honest."

He takes another bite and sip of the coffee as Mr. Ashford continued to explain it was important to have someone to trust. He didn't really know who to trust as West Side. Granted, he trusted Ryker, and of course he trusted Aeryn and Yuki. Hell he felt like he could trust and tell Grayson anything but he couldn't tell all of them half the stuff he could his uncle. Or even Don. The closest that he could say much too would be Ryker, and even then, he still felt like maybe John who knew about the entire situation, or at least part of it, would still judge him for most of the information and background. He shook his head and chuckled a bit thinking about how he thought John was an assassin after him the first couple of days.

"Thank you, sir. Don't get to talk with him as much as I like right now, but did speak with him earlier today." He smiles a bit.

His smile grows into a full grin as Mr. Ashford lightens up some more. He shakes his head when Mr. Ashford said he was worried about her being held more like a prisoner. He did understand, but it was a concern he was glad to alleviate.

"Sounds like she got the best of her parents. Can't bake to save my life but, she heard it was a birthday and wanted to help out." Keith glanced at the window and then at his watch. 45 minutes of their overall time had gone fast, and they were still waiting on the next update from Dee.

"Can promise ya she's not bein' held under too much restriction. Mainly just more concerned with if she leaves without really a guide or someone there with her. That's the main restriction really." Keith thinks for a moment. "We'd all do anything it takes to help her out." Keith takes another sip of the coffee, and thinks back to Saturday at Sunshine's. Even though Emi knew about his lie this past Saturday when they all met, he wondered if Grayson and Kylie knew. How would they react? He tried to push the thought out of his head.

"And if anyone can keep her watched over right now, Dee can. Trust the guy to do good work, and with my story, but did we ever have a rocky start."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-27 at 06:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Double Date
    Looking around, John doesn’t see much other than Sidney’s tool box and piles of scrap metal and other bits and bobs. It looks like this was just a warehouse she used to repair her birds.

Emi nods along with John. “Yes, it is usually best to acknowledge what’s happened between the two of you.”

“Yeah,” Sidney says quietly before she looks back up at John. “I’m okay. My head is already pretty clear. I’m going to leave Elvira here for repairs. I gave the birds here standing orders to fix her.”

4. - Top - End - #304

OldWizardGuy

Double Date
    Looking around, John doesn’t see much other than Sidney’s tool box and piles of scrap metal and other bits and bobs. It looks like this was just a warehouse she used to repair her birds.

Emi nods along with John. “Yes, it is usually best to acknowledge what’s happened between the two of you.”

“Yeah,” Sidney says quietly before she looks back up at John. “I’m okay. My head is already pretty clear. I’m going to leave Elvira here for repairs. I gave the birds here standing orders to fix her.”
    “Direct to Seraph:” John subvocalized. “Requesting permission to stop with Sidney at her father’s coffee shop on our way back to base. We’d be flattered if you could join us. I’d imagine a good cup of coffee will make your patrols go a little easier.”

“Do you think you are up to riding in the car with these three?” John gently asked Emi. “I thought I would get us some ice cream somewhere, if you feel up to it. I know I could use a cup of coffee and one or the other may help Songbird finish clearing her head.”

At her assent, John smiled as he tapped the side of his helmet. He still wasn’t sure where he had picked up that affectation and why he continued to do it.

“Crowe: Will you ask if your host minds if the five of us join you there in a little bit?” John asked with a knowing smile at Sidney. “I could use some coffee and Emi could use some ice cream and your location comes highly recommended. Let the team — and Mr. Ashford — know that I am buying.

“Assuming Mr. Ashford permits us to arrive after hours, of course.”

5. - Top - End - #305

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    owe: Will you ask if your host minds if the five of us join you there in a little bit?” John asked with a knowing smile at Sidney. “I could use some coffee and Emi could use some ice cream and your location comes highly recommended. Let the team — and Mr. Ashford — know that I am buying.

“Assuming Mr. Ashford permits us to arrive after hours, of course.”
    Keith unmuted his mic as the message from Dee came in and smiled with a nod. He then subvocalized into the mic to Dee.

"I mean, I did pretty much break in and am having some coffee now. I think he would enjoy that." Keith then turned his attention fully to Mr. Ashford.

"I have a question, and I hate to be a bother, since I did pretty much enter unlawfully. but Dee has Sidney, she's doing ok, and he wants to know if you would be ok with him swinging by right fast. It's the least we can do. I have to ask for one of them, what ice cream if any do you have on hand?"

He then subvocalized into the mic for Manny, Yuki, and Aeryn. "Did you guys want to come in as well when the others come by?"

Keith mutes his mic after the response and looks over at Mr. Ashford. "Feel like I should properly introduce myself. I'm Keith Karver sir, and it is an absolute pleasure to meet you."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Double Date
    “I think that’s a great idea,” Seraph replies to John. “Kenzie, Wolf and I just finished dealing with the Raeksha, so your timing was perfect.” He pauses, considering John’s other offer. “I think a short or two of espresso might do me some good before I head back out. I’ll meet you guys there.”

Sidney’s eyes grow wide. “You’re serious? I can see my papa? What are we waiting for then? Let’s go!”

Stella smiles at Sidney’s enthusiasm and heads with her towards the broken window, stopping briefly by Raphael’s side. “Will you meet us there? Or are you headed back home? I don’t know how much you like coffee or sweets, but the company will be good.”

Keith
    Mr. Ashford gives Keith his widest smile yet. “Of course I want to see her! Please, whatever I need to do, I’ll do it.” He sends a glance back toward the kitchen and rubs his beard in thought. “We have plain vanilla and a coffee ice cream,” he says after a moment. “I used to have more when Sidney was around because she liked to make her own flavor of the day in small batches, but I was never the best at making out of the box ice cream bases.”

After Keith formally introduces himself, Mr. Ashford offers his hand with another smile. “Nice to meet you Keith, I’m Scott.“

7. - Top - End - #307
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith unmuted his mic as the message from Dee came in and smiled with a nod. He then subvocalized into the mic to Dee.

"I mean, I did pretty much break in and am having some coffee now. I think he would enjoy that." Keith then turned his attention fully to Mr. Ashford.

"I have a question, and I hate to be a bother, since I did pretty much enter unlawfully. but Dee has Sidney, she's doing ok, and he wants to know if you would be ok with him swinging by right fast. It's the least we can do. I have to ask for one of them, what ice cream if any do you have on hand?"

He then subvocalized into the mic for Manny, Yuki, and Aeryn. "Did you guys want to come in as well when the others come by?"

Keith mutes his mic after the response and looks over at Mr. Ashford. "Feel like I should properly introduce myself. I'm Keith Karver sir, and it is an absolute pleasure to meet you."

"Sounds good. We can wait for the team." Manny says nodding to the other two heroes. He mutes his comm again and turns to Yuki.

"While I'm sure Mr. Ashford wouldn't mind being able to associate you with he and Sidney's reunion. I can understand your call for discretion. However i think the upside of him knowing that you could possibly help him in the furture, especially since he's now in the thick with a good dozen of us after what happened earlier, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. But if you don't want him to recognize you. This form is still foreign to him so we still always have this option as well." Manny says with a easy smile.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-28 at 07:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Mr. Ashford gives Keith his widest smile yet. “Of course I want to see her! Please, whatever I need to do, I’ll do it.” He sends a glance back toward the kitchen and rubs his beard in thought. “We have plain vanilla and a coffee ice cream,” he says after a moment. “I used to have more when Sidney was around because she liked to make her own flavor of the day in small batches, but I was never the best at making out of the box ice cream bases.”

After Keith formally introduces himself, Mr. Ashford offers his hand with another smile. “Nice to meet you Keith, I’m Scott.“
    Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    "Sounds good. We can wait for the team." Manny says nodding to the other two heroes. He mutes his comm again and turns to Yuki.
    Keith grins hearing the responses over the comms and taps it again for everyone.

"Alrighty Dee, we'll be waitin' for ya. Mostly have vanilla and coffee ice cream for right now. Also pretty sure we may have just moved Christmas further down the holiday line up. And see ya in a few Izulu."

He nods as Mr. Ashford starts wondering what all to do.

"It'll be just a few minutes, but I'm sure it'll all be easy requests." Keith thinks for a moment. "I hope. Only one I know right away is the icecream one."

Keith takes Scott's hand with a smile. "It's an honor, sir. Also, please let me know what I can do to help, even if it's just helping get cleaned back up."

9. - Top - End - #309
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Double Date:

"I'll see you guys there. I'm not much of a coffee person. But I like sweet things." Raphael winks at Stella, forgetting she can't see through his helmet.

He turns and scampers up the wall and pokes his head out, checking the street for gangers, witnesses, or over-zealous badges or other heroes before making way for the rest of the team.

Once they're safely ensconced in John's super-spy-car. Nightgaunt offers them a mock salute and takes to the air as a shrieking cloud of bats, circling until the car gets moving. Once the car gets moving, Nightgaunt keeps pace until they park.

Seeing just the one option, he spirals back down into a nearby alleyway, reforming in civilian attire.

10. - Top - End - #310

OldWizardGuy

Double Date
    “I think that’s a great idea,” Seraph replies to John. “Kenzie, Wolf and I just finished dealing with the Raeksha, so your timing was perfect.” He pauses, considering John’s other offer. “I think a short or two of espresso might do me some good before I head back out. I’ll meet you guys there.”

Sidney’s eyes grow wide. “You’re serious? I can see my papa? What are we waiting for then? Let’s go!”

Stella smiles at Sidney’s enthusiasm and heads with her towards the broken window, stopping briefly by Raphael’s side. “Will you meet us there? Or are you headed back home? I don’t know how much you like coffee or sweets, but the company will be good.”
    Dee smiled as Songbird and Miss Menagerie moved quickly past them and said quietly to Siren, “It’s good to see her happy after all of that.” Turning to face her, he almost lost himself in her eyes. “Your willingness to help — even at the cost to you — is one of the most beautiful things about you.”

He led her back toward the window and asked “Shall I carry you up so you can continue to rest?” He gently reached down behind her legs and swept her up into his arms.

He sensed her half-instinctual telekinetic assistance as he lifted her. While his ego sulked a little, it was quickly modified by his pride, which reminded him that dropping her as he picked her up would not be a good look. “My motives are purely altruistic, of course,” he added with mock seriousness as he commanded his cloak to levitate them. “The thought of you putting your arms around my neck is merely a consideration of your safety. I’m sure there must be some OSHA regulation to that effect.”

“Direct to Seraph:” he said as they floated through the window, “I’m glad to hear you will be able to meet us — although I am sorry to hear you had to face another Raeksha. Will Wolf and Kenzie be joining us? Oh, and should we extend a courtesy invitation to Coldfront as a way of saying thank you for sanctioning our mission?

“Seraph will be joining us,” he mentioned to Sidney as they descended to where she and Stella landed. “Is there a shade for the window? I only ask to determine if we should remain in costume or not.”

After leading the ladies back to Clea, Dee almost (entirely) regretfully set Siren down next to the passenger door before opening it for her. “Doors, please, Clea.”

The rear doors opened for Miss Menagerie and Songbird. “It is good to see you again, Songbird,” Clea observed. “I enjoyed our prior conversation and look forward to the next.

“Oh, Miss Menagerie?” Clea asked as Dee closed the doors for them. “I understand that you particular friend has a fondness for the melodramatic, but can you remind him that it would be ungentlemanly if he were to continue to avoid me? I would like to meet all residents of the base.

“Well, permanent members of the base,” she added pointedly. “Some of the others I am prepared to wait on.”

“Tell me, particular friend:” she continued as Dee sat down and buckled himself in. “Is your current condition, in the absence of ice cream, considered something akin to a medical emergency?”

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    Emi’s eyes sparkle at John’s suaveness as wraps her arms around John’s neck as he picks her up. She gives him a soft kiss in the cheek. “Oh, of course. Purely altruistic. Never would have thought otherwise,” she says with a little bit of laughter.

Sidney nods to John’s question. “There’s shades for all the windows. Seraph’s coming by too? Papa’s gonna have a heart attack.”

As the women pile into the car, Stella shrugs as Sidney greets Clea. “I don’t think he’s avoiding you,” Stella says. “I think he’s just used to having to find his own way to get to places. I think he also likes the directness of being able to fly from place to place.”

Emi smiles at Clea’s question. “An emergency? No. Not at all. It’s just uncomfortable is all.”

As Seraph replies, John can hear the wind as he flies. “It was weakened already thanks to the efforts of your teammates. Kenzie, Wolf and I just finished it off. They’re going to head back home for the night.” John can hear a quiet chuckle. “Coldfront hates coffee. She would take it as an insult.”

Keith
    Scott waves away Keith’s offer for help as he starts to set up the shop to receive everyone, getting several machines warming up. “You’re fine, Keith.”

He looks down and can’t help but grin. “You know it’s been over a year and half since I’ve seen her? I can’t believe that she’s going to be here soon. If I hadn’t decided to clean upstairs… I would have missed you— missed this chance.”

Manny
    “You’re right,” Yuki says. “I suppose if he sees everyone, why should I hide. If I can trust Sidney, I can trust her father.”

12. - Top - End - #312

OldWizardGuy

John
    Emi’s eyes sparkle at John’s suaveness as wraps her arms around John’s neck as he picks her up. She gives him a soft kiss in the cheek. “Oh, of course. Purely altruistic. Never would have thought otherwise,” she says with a little bit of laughter.

Sidney nods to John’s question. “There’s shades for all the windows. Seraph’s coming by too? Papa’s gonna have a heart attack.”

As the women pile into the car, Stella shrugs as Sidney greets Clea. “I don’t think he’s avoiding you,” Stella says. “I think he’s just used to having to find his own way to get to places. I think he also likes the directness of being able to fly from place to place.”

Emi smiles at Clea’s question. “An emergency? No. Not at all. It’s just uncomfortable is all.”

As Seraph replies, John can hear the wind as he flies. “It was weakened already thanks to the efforts of your teammates. Kenzie, Wolf and I just finished it off. They’re going to head back home for the night.” John can hear a quiet chuckle. “Coldfront hates coffee. She would take it as an insult.”
    “Oh, very well, then,” Clea responded a little petulantly as she dimmed her lights and made for a poorly lit area. “Speed limit plus or minus five it is, then with an ETA of ten to twelve minutes, depending on the traffic lights.”

Clea emerged from the darkness with a grey coloration that blended in with the dark and waited a moment or two before turning back on her lights. Most insurance companies would shudder at her coloration, thinking in terms of a human driver and human reaction times. For Clea, however, it was a color that matched her mission profile of hiding in plain sight as she moved them efficiently to Ashford’s Coffee House.

Dee willed his uniform back onto its clothing rack and once more wore the outfit John chose for the date with Emi. A part of him — the part trained by Montcrieff — was mildly concerned about exposing his identity to Sidney’s father. It was not that he did not trust him. After all, John had revealed his identity to Sidney on a hunch and had not regretted it. Montcrieff would remind him that what Mr. Ashford did not know he could not reveal, should anyone try and leverage his connection to Sidney against them. Whatever risk came with that, however, was balanced by his becoming a contact and being able to call on him in more casual settings.

In addition, it neatened up the timeline for anyone who happened to see them both at 5th Chapter and near Ashford’s — however unlikely that might be. Dee’s and John’s association with Emi would be too much of a parallel to easily dismiss.

John once more reached for Emi’s hand as he sighted and looked out into the darkness. That association — along with his association to Raphael and Stella were too great a hint for Mr. Alexander Feris to overlook. You don’t survive and thrive for centuries without having some wits about you. He would likely be tasking some minions with finding out which metas Emi was seen acting the way he just had at the warehouse or, based on a review of the recent footage at the Volta Memorial, compare his height and build with Dee’s. Doubtless, he would — within the next 48 to 72 hours — reach out via Raphael to establish a kind of detente based on Mutually Assured Destruction.

So long as he did not threaten Emi, they might be able to work something out — especially since he was under explicit instructions from the Unseen Masters to keep his focus on the issue of the demons.

Stop, John. You are supposed to be taking the night off.

He turned back to Emi and smiled. She would be safe. After all, her father and her brother would look out for her as well and so would Zack and Kylie.

And Grayson.

John shook his head and looked back to Emi and smiled.

“If you will excuse the intrusion, John. We are arriving and you should at least pretend to be involved in the parallel parking instead of looking at Emi. Oh, and I believe your particular melodramatic friend has chosen the alleyway just behind us to reconstitute himself, Stella. Commentary aside, I am somewhat impressed that he was able to keep pace with us while taking the form of a cloud of bats — although one might quibble over whether he was a cloud or a cauldron, given the numbers involved.”

“Thank you, Clea,” John replied as he retrieved a spare $100 from the armrest and got out of the car and moved to open the ladies doors. “Welcome home, Sidney,” he added with an open and honest smile.

13. - Top - End - #313

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    “You’re right,” Yuki says. “I suppose if he sees everyone, why should I hide. If I can trust Sidney, I can trust her father.”
    Manny Nods. "Agreed. I do understand your concern though. I've hidden my face and made up aliases in order for people far more than I'd like to admit. Trust is a hard thing the establish. especially if their introduction to you is as such. But if they have seen you for the person you are and not the idea they have of you in their head or what they think they can gain from you then you can build on that trust." Manny says, thinking of all the people he met in his formative years trying to to befriend him for his notoriety or date him as a trophy to show off.

14. - Top - End - #314

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Scott waves away Keith’s offer for help as he starts to set up the shop to receive everyone, getting several machines warming up. “You’re fine, Keith.”

He looks down and can’t help but grin. “You know it’s been over a year and half since I’ve seen her? I can’t believe that she’s going to be here soon. If I hadn’t decided to clean upstairs… I would have missed you— missed this chance.”
    Keith chuckles and wills at least his cloak of shadows off as Mr. Ashford waves away the concern. He couldn't help but smile widely knowing just how much all of this would mean to Scott. And to Sidney. It had been so long since they'd seen each other and if he hadn't botched the entry, it probably wouldn't have happened either.

"Think ya may have ended up findin' me up there regardless. Glad that I ended up makin noise while trying to check it out too. Though, I think Dee wouldve tried to come by either way. We'll all try and make sure she can come home permanently as soon as possible too."

He figured it was the best promise he could try to make. They deserved to get to see each other. And Sidney deserved her freedom having been a pawn. They still hadn't told Mr. Ashford that part about her case, but he probably knew. Deep down, he had to have known.

"I gotta ask though, how many times did Ryker about get hit with that bat?" Keith chuckled a bit.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Keith
    Scott smiles as he goes to unlock the front door. "Only once. I heard something upstairs when I knew Sidney was at school about three years ago. I went into the apartment, and he'd heard me, so he was getting up from the couch to look. I hit his shoulder and the bat shattered. Not that it hurt him, but he was a lot more careful after that. I knew he was staying here with Sidney for a while, but he never let me hear him again."

He returns to the back of the bar and pulls out a pie tin from the dessert display underneath. He cuts into it and pulls out a large slice, setting it on a metal tray before putting it in a small oven to heat up.

John
    Sidney can't control her wide and infectious smile. She can barely wait until the car is stopped before she throws open the door and jumps out, followed quickly by Stella.

Ashford Coffee Bar
    The bell overhead chimes as the door is pulled open. Sidney rushes in and finds her dad behind the counter. "Papa!" she yells as Scott meets her halfway in the dining room. The two of them embrace. When Sidney finally pulls away, Scott's shirt is wet from his daughter's tears. She wipes her eyes as she smiles up at her dad.

Scott takes Sidney by the shoulders and looks at her. "You look good, kiddo," he says before he hugs her again. "I missed you."

Behind the bar, the oven beeps as it finishes heating the pie slice.

16. - Top - End - #316

OldWizardGuy

Sidney can't control her wide and infectious smile. She can barely wait until the car is stopped before she throws open the door and jumps out, followed quickly by Stella.

Ashford Coffee Bar
    The bell overhead chimes as the door is pulled open. Sidney rushes in and finds her dad behind the counter. "Papa!" she yells as Scott meets her halfway in the dining room. The two of them embrace. When Sidney finally pulls away, Scott's shirt is wet from his daughter's tears. She wipes her eyes as she smiles up at her dad.

Scott takes Sidney by the shoulders and looks at her. "You look good, kiddo," he says before he hugs her again. "I missed you."

John smiled as he closed the door Sidney left open and walked around to Emi’s door, opening it for her. Offering a hand, he helped her out, once again noting that he perhaps looked at her legs a moment longer than he should have.

“I think we can check ‘do a good deed today’ off our lists,” he observed to Emi as he companionably slipped her arm around her waist. “I’d rush us in to see the reunion but I’m not sure how ready you are to hear your new boyfriend try to explain away the tears in his eyes. Besides, it might be nice for them to have a moment before she feels the need to introduce us.”

Spoiler: Run out of rooftops?
    Show
    Who’s that on the roof?: 1d10o10+4 10 1d6o6+4 8

John glanced up at the roof across the street, noting some familiar silhouettes. “It looks like you will get to meet Manny this evening,” he observed, offering the Wing Commander a jaunty mock salute. “I hope I won’t look too drab by comparison.” His tone was in jest but he felt some butterflies in his stomach at the thought. He knew she wasn’t dating him for his stunning looks — not that he was bad looking but he was much, much closer to the middle of the good looks scale than Manny was.

A lesser man would have let that get to him now and during their time in London, John reflected — especially one who had been given the role of wing man to a model and child actor who had been recognized and pursued by men and women at every club they visited. A more desperate man — like some of those who would try to associate themselves with the two of them — might have tried harder to make time with one of the women who had not made it into the inner circle of women who tried to close ranks around Manny.

He had been too close to the Windsor Incident for him to consider himself anything more than damaged goods at the time and he had made sure to keep things casual. Some of the men at City of London had considered it odd but Dr. Higgins had reassured him that his caution was natural and his self-assessment was something he should listen to — if he didn’t feel ready, he should not force something and regret it. In an early moment of personal interaction, Montcrieff had told him that she was glad he was watching out for himself and let drop that he had earned some respect from some of the women there by not using his proximity to Manny to use women who approached him but been turned back the way some of the other agents who occasionally went out with Manny tried to.

That assurance had been one of the early signs that AEGIS had him under 24 hour surveillance. Given what had occurred, he could not blame them.

John shook his head, dragging his attention back to the present. Manny was a respecter of boundaries and, implausible as it seemed, Emi wanted to be with him.

He turned and smiled as he opened the door for Emi. “Shall we?”

17. - Top - End - #317

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

Manny watches the scene between them and thinks of The times he's seen his Father. It hasn't been recently even as He left London for the forseeable future. He hasn't spoken to his father in almost a year when he called the house to wish everyone a happy New Year and his father answered. He's been in more constant contact with his Mother and younger brother but everytime he hears his fathers voice he can feel an unbearable pain in his chest. His Disappointment. Disappointment that he took his father's livelihood and passion from him.

He hears his father's voice in the Elder Ashford's words. "I missed you."

John smiled as he closed the door Sidney left open and walked around to Emi’s door, opening it for her. Offering a hand, he helped her out, once again noting that he perhaps looked at her legs a moment longer than he should have.

“I think we can check ‘do a good deed today’ off our lists,” he observed to Emi as he companionably slipped her arm around her waist. “I’d rush us in to see the reunion but I’m not sure how ready you are to hear your new boyfriend try to explain away the tears in his eyes. Besides, it might be nice for them to have a moment before she feels the need to introduce us.”

Spoiler: Run out of rooftops?
    Show
    Who’s that on the roof?: 1d10o10+4 10 1d6o6+4 8

John glanced up at the roof across the street, noting some familiar silhouettes. “It looks like you will get to meet Manny this evening,” he observed, offering the Wing Commander a jaunty mock salute. “I hope I won’t look too drab by comparison.” His tone was in jest but he felt some butterflies in his stomach at the thought. He knew she wasn’t dating him for his stunning looks — not that he was bad looking but he was much, much closer to the middle of the good looks scale than Manny was.

A lesser man would have let that get to him now and during their time in London, John reflected — especially one who had been given the role of wing man to a model and child actor who had been recognized and pursued by men and women at every club they visited. A more desperate man — like some of those who would try to associate themselves with the two of them — might have tried harder to make time with one of the women who had not made it into the inner circle of women who tried to close ranks around Manny.

He had been too close to the Windsor Incident for him to consider himself anything more than damaged goods at the time and he had made sure to keep things casual. Some of the men at City of London had considered it odd but Dr. Higgins had reassured him that his caution was natural and his self-assessment was something he should listen to — if he didn’t feel ready, he should not force something and regret it. In an early moment of personal interaction, Montcrieff had told him that she was glad he was watching out for himself and let drop that he had earned some respect from some of the women there by not using his proximity to Manny to use women who approached him but been turned back the way some of the other agents who occasionally went out with Manny tried to.

That assurance had been one of the early signs that AEGIS had him under 24 hour surveillance. Given what had occurred, he could not blame them.

John shook his head, dragging his attention back to the present. Manny was a respecter of boundaries and, implausible as it seemed, Emi wanted to be with him.

He turned and smiled as he opened the door for Emi. “Shall we?”
    Manny sees the salute and spots his friend. Returning a salute in kind. He grins as Emi walks through the door John holds for her. "Such Manners, I taught him well." He says with an exaggerated nod.

"Let's head down." Manny says looking to Yuki and Aeryn. Before descending the roof. Let's meet this woman who's stolen your heart, John.

"Good evening everyone." Manny says with a casual wave as the chime finishes. "Glad to see you're safe, Sidney." Manny smiles confidently and nods to Mr. Ashford.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Coffee..... Night?

Raphael stalks out of the alleyway and watches Sidney sprint into the coffee shop. Despite himself, he feels a smile tug at his lips. He moves to fall into step with Stella as they follow her friend into the coffee shop.

"It's nice to feel like we got..." the vampire pauses and glances skyward a moment. "...A clean win for a change."

The warm and fuzzies he was cultivating watching the reunion wither as a traitorous thought crosses his mind. No such reunion waits for you, Cassandra made sure of that.

Raphael scratches at his nose with a thumb, plastering his poker face back on. He reaches out and takes Stella's hand, trying to salvage the fleeting feeling.

19. - Top - End - #319

NinjaGuy

Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Varga
    “Officers on scene said they found a few pounds of cocaine and several stolen guns on the property, so good job getting that off the street, even if it was inadvertent,” Varga says. “What happened to the vehicle? If you have the plate and the VIN, I can look to see if it’s stolen.”
    Redline sighs. "Yeah, sorry about the mess back there. Everything happened so fast after the fight started. Didn't even think to keep their product undamaged so we could turn it over to you guys as evidence."

"The Monte? I'm pretty sure my stunt double's still driving it around. I didn't get a good look at it before they took off but I can get him to send the info over to you. I did pick these up before leaving though. Figured someone would need'em." Redline says, removing the set of keys from his jacket pocket with a small flourish. "Which reminds me. There's something I wanted to ask you once we get through all of this. No rush though, It's not like I've got anywhere else to be."

Drop Off

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker
    His gaze darts away from Louis’ in the mirror, returning to the window and he’s silent for several minutes. Just when Louis thinks Ryker’s not going to answer, the former villain replies, “The way I left Aria was pretty ****ty. And hearin’ about how she’s struggled since then makes me feel… somethin’. Bad, I guess. Like I know that what happened wasn’t my fault, but I still feel like I should help her out somehow.”

He pauses. “That, and she still has feelings for me. She… let me know, while we were at the hospital. ****in’ kissed me, and I… well, I didn’t stop her.”

“Like, what the **** am I supposed to do?” Ryker says, getting more heated. “Sid, she’s my ****in’ world, ya know? She’s everything to me— the only girl that’s known all the bad **** about me and still stuck by my side. After waitin’ so long to see her again, I don’t know what I’d do without her. But I just ****in’ made out with my ex. The **** was I thinkin’?”

He lets out a deep sigh as he looks down at his lap. “You know what? **** it— forget I said anything,” Ryker mutters. “Lemme out here. I’ll walk the rest of the way.”
    Louis slowly turns his head to look back at Ryker from the front seat in mild disbelief before he remembers that he's driving. He snaps his head back to look at the road and drives in silence for a few seconds as he finds somewhere to park. The hero brings the Monte Carlo to a stop along a quiet side street.

"Hey I know this whole situation's got you pretty !@#$%^ right now but could you listen to me for a sec? I'm only askin' for a minute or less." The hero requests as he looks back at his partner in the mirror.

"Look I ain't a therapist and I'm not trying to be but I think you've got a lot to unpack after today... well, the past year or so actually. Technically I'm not supposed to let you outta my sight but if you need some time to clear your head I'm not gonna stop you. Just meet me back at the base once you get your bike alright?"

Louis unlocks the back door for Ryker and waits for an answer in any format.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-10-31 at 10:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #320

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Scott smiles as he goes to unlock the front door. "Only once. I heard something upstairs when I knew Sidney was at school about three years ago. I went into the apartment, and he'd heard me, so he was getting up from the couch to look. I hit his shoulder and the bat shattered. Not that it hurt him, but he was a lot more careful after that. I knew he was staying here with Sidney for a while, but he never let me hear him again."

He returns to the back of the bar and pulls out a pie tin from the dessert display underneath. He cuts into it and pulls out a large slice, setting it on a metal tray before putting it in a small oven to heat up.
    Keith forces himself to stifle a laugh. He figured it would have happened at least the once but he never thought there would be someone Ryker was scared of like that. But the thought has him ready to bust a guy still. Freakin' Don E. and his beanbag rounds for stealth training.

"I shouldn't laugh but that's pretty funny! Though, pretty sure my old boss and coach would have pelted me with bean bag rounds for tonight." Keith chuckled a bit. "I think I can see the look on his face from it. Doubt he ever told Sidney that too."

Keith watches as the pie is placed in the oven and smiles.

"Her favorite?"

Ashford Coffee Bar

Keith smiles as he watches the reunion, though he felt even more like an intruder since the others were still outside waiting. It was good that they had gotten to complete this as well on a happy note. Even if Sidney did have to head back to base afterwards. Seemed like this day went on for forever but the number of families brought back together was worth it.

More than anything, Keith knew what they all had to do now. Find Vibrato, clear Sidney's name for the kidnapping, and make sure she could live here well enough. Someone might have an objection to it, but that could be something to talk about much later. Not all of Iron Station's heroes were like Seraph, Harbinger, or even Apex. He was surprised Eidolon was as nice about the situation as well. Then again, he was Emi's dad.

Uncle, you'd be so proud of this right now.

"Glad you're safe, Sidney!"

"Good evening everyone." Manny says with a casual wave as the chime finishes. "Glad to see you're safe, Sidney." Manny smiles confidently and nods to Mr. Ashford.
    He was torn from his thoughts when the chime ended and saw Manny, Yuki, and Aeryn walking in. He half waved at his new teammate, who he was pretty sure would be giving him a lecture later on illegal activity.

"Glad y'all are alright too." He says with a nod to Stella, Raph. Emi, and John.

Keith couldn't help but feel like he was forgetting something mildly important at this moment though with everything going on. Eh, it'll come back to me.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-30 at 09:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “Are you the weepy type?” Emi asks with a half smile as they walk toward the shop. “I wouldn’t have guessed that.” She stops briefly as John mentions Manny, waiting for him to look at her before continuing. “John, he’s not my type. You have nothing to worry about.”

She turns and kisses her boyfriend, holding his face in her hands. “I chose you, remember?” she whispers to him as she rubs her fingers from his shoulders to his elbows. She gives him another smile before taking his hand and heading into the shop.

Keith
    “I told her about it,” Scott says with a grin. “I’m pretty sure it was a matter of pride for him not to get caught again. That, or Sidney would have been upset with him if she had to keep picking up the shattered remains of a bat every time I heard him.”

He glances over at the oven. “Yeah. Apple’s always been her favorite.”

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Stella makes a guess at what Raphael is thinking and holds his hand a little tighter. Her eyes get a little watery as Sidney reunites with her dad.

Scott looks up, confused as more and more people enter his shop. Sidney smiles at him. “These are the people that have been helping me,” she explains. “I uhmm… don’t know if they want me to use their real names though, so I’ll let them introduce themselves.”

He glances around the room and spots Stella and gives her a wide grin. “Stella! How have you been?” He asks.

Stella lets go of Raphael’s hand and goes to hug Scott. “Better than I have been.”

Sidney walks behind her dad and starts to rearrange some the chairs around the largest leather couch so that everyone has a place to sit.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-30 at 12:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322

OldWizardGuy

[QUOTE=InTheMachine;25622300]John
    “Are you the weepy type?” Emi asks with a half smile as they walk toward the shop. “I wouldn’t have guessed that.”

“It’s been known to happen,” John confesses, “although not so much for me to claim to be the type. But given how integral we have been to her getting this far, and given the day that I have had, it’s a greater than normal chance.”

She stops briefly as John mentions Manny, waiting for him to look at her before continuing. “John, he’s not my type. You have nothing to worry about.”

She turns and kisses her boyfriend, holding his face in her hands. “I chose you, remember?” she whispers to him as she rubs her fingers from his shoulders to his elbows. She gives him another smile before taking his hand and heading into the shop.
    “I know,” John replied. “I’m still getting used to the wonder of that and I am not over the shock of an armchair historian math nerd being your type. Add to that my fair bit of experience at fading into the background with women while he is around — even if I was kind of glad for it at the time — and the usual nerves of introducing friends and hoping they get on.…” He shrugged and smiled as he reached for the door. “Let’s just say that Manny’s occasional characterization of me as being high strung feels a little more accurate than I would care to admit.”

Ashford Coffee BarScott looks up, confused as more and more people enter his shop. Sidney smiles at him. “These are the people that have been helping me,” she explains. “I uhmm… don’t know if they want me to use their real names though, so I’ll let them introduce themselves.”

He glances around the room and spots Stella and gives her a wide grin. “Stell! How have you been?” He asks.

Stella lets go of Raphael’s hand and goes to hug Scott. “Better than I have been.”

Sidney walks behind her dad and starts to rearrange some the chairs around the largest leather couch so that everyone has a place to sit.
    “Good evening, Mr. Ashford,” John said extending his hand as he and Emi walked up to him. “If my instincts say I can trust Sidney I suspect that will apply to you as well. I’m John Kelley, late of London and Providence, Rhode Island. May I present you to Emilia Shaw, also known as Siren? I’m sure you know her by sight and reputation, of course. She’s been helping Sidney.”

John glanced back and gave Manny a smile and a nod as he entered.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-10-30 at 11:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott’s hand swallows John’s as he shakes it with a firm grip. “Scott Ashford. Nice to meet you.” His eyes widen as John introduces Emi. “The Emilia Shaw?” he asks. “I’m honored. Thank you for helping my daughter.”

Emi smiles as she shakes his hand. “It’s my pleasure, Mr. Ashford.”

Scott looks around again and sees another familiar face. He thinks for a moment, trying to place Yuki as Emi excuses herself and takes a seat at the end of the couch.

Yuki bows to him. “I’m Yuki Kitagawa,” she says before gesturing to Aeryn. “This is my friend Aeryn.”

“You usually come in on Mondays,” Scott replies, “with your boyfriend, right? Uhmm… Drake? The serious one?”

“He wasn’t my boyfriend until last weekend, but yes,” Yuki says as her cheeks heat up.

Sidney bustles around, closing the blinds. Once she’s done, she gives Emi a guilty look as she heads over to the couch. “Can I get you anything?”

“An ice water please,” Emi answers. “And some vanilla ice cream if you have it. Thank you Sidney.”

Sidney nods and heads back behind the bar into the kitchen.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-30 at 01:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

AssassinGuy

Keith
    “I told her about it,” Scott says with a grin. “I’m pretty sure it was a matter of pride for him not to get caught again. That, or Sidney would have been upset with him if she had to keep picking up the shattered remains of a bat every time I heard him.”

He glances over at the oven. “Yeah. Apple’s always been her favorite.”

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Stella makes a guess at what Raphael is thinking and holds his hand a little tighter. Her eyes get a little watery as Sidney reunites with her dad.

Scott looks up, confused as more and more people enter his shop. Sidney smiles at him. “These are the people that have been helping me,” she explains. “I uhmm… don’t know if they want me to use their real names though, so I’ll let them introduce themselves.”

He glances around the room and spots Stella and gives her a wide grin. “Stella! How have you been?” He asks.

Keith nods and smiles. "Probably the bat splinters. Nothing again Ryker's pride, but I could see her getting angry at all the remains."

When Sidney mentions everyone introducing themselves, Keith rubs the back of his head.

"He already knows mine anyway. And thankfully no bat splinters to pick up!

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott’s hand swallows John’s as he shakes it with a firm grip. “Scott Ashford. Nice to meet you.” His eyes widen as John introduces Emi. “The Emilia Shaw?” he asks. “I’m honored. Thank you for helping my daughter.”

Scott looks around again and sees another familiar face. He thinks for a moment, trying to place Yuki as Emi excuses herself and takes a seat at the end of the couch.

Yuki bows to him. “I’m Yuki Kitagawa,” she says before gesturing to Aeryn. “This is my friend Aeryn.”

“You usually come in on Mondays,” Scott replies, “with your boyfriend, right? Uhmm… Drake?”

“He wasn’t my boyfriend until last weekend, but yes,” Yuki says as her cheeks heat up.

Sidney bustles around, closing the blinds. Once she’s done, she gives Emi a guilty look as she heads over to the couch. “Can I get you anything?”

“An ice water please,” Emi answers. “And some vanilla ice cream if you have it. Thank you Sidney.”

He couldn't help but smile seeing all his friends and teammates coming in and introducing themselves. He thought he would have seen John disguise himself again, though, that would have probably seemed odd given that Emi was there too. He looks over at Manny, Yuki, and Aeryn kinda sheepishly.

"Please do me a favor and don't tell a guy named Don if he calls for me about that mishap. Glad as I am it happened, I'd rather not wake up to the guy in our base shouting 'stealth drill'."

He did look back at Emi mildly concerned, though that seemed to be a bit par for the course sometimes with her abilities that he could remember some.

"Also, sorry, Emi. I'll make it up to you and John about the picture perfect ending he had planned." He probably also needed to apologize to Manny later, but that could wait. There was still the ever important thing he was forgetting that he couldn't quite grasp.

"Oh right, John." Keith said turning to him. "Seraph and them finish off the Raeksha?"

25. - Top - End - #325

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

“You usually come in on Mondays,” Scott replies, “with your boyfriend, right? Uhmm… Drake?”

Manny walks over to Mr. Ashford and offers a hand. "Manny Vincent, A pleasure to meet you." I didn't get a chance to help Sidney directly but with John and Ms. Shaw's assistance, I'm sure she's has been in excellent care." He says with a smile.

"May I offer you both some assistance? I can help getting things for people since you were gracious enough to host us on such a short notice and during a reunion, the least I can do is make sure you both get to enjoy each other's company." Manny says, looking to John for backup.

"Ahh-- With your blessing, of course. Mr Ashford." Manny quickly tacked on looking to him for approval.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-30 at 03:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

OldWizardGuy

“They did, Keith,” John replied. Seraph said he would try to stop in and say hello over an espresso in a little bit.

"May I offer you both some assistance? I can help getting things for people since you were gracious enough to host us on such a short notice and during a reunion, the least I can do is make sure you both get to enjoy each other's company." Manny says, looking to John for backup.
    John glanced over at Emi. “I can help run orders out before introducing you, but my experience doesn’t include operating an espresso machine. Anything that produces that much steam and pressure is probably not something to experiment with unsupervised. If the Ashfords don’t mind pouring — or providing some on-the-job training, you and I can run the orders out until everyone is settled.

John looked critically at his shoulder. “I thought we agreed you would be getting some armor before your next mission.”

27. - Top - End - #327

GreataxeFighterGuy

“They did, Keith,” John replied. Seraph said he would try to stop in and say hello over an espresso in a little bit.

John glanced over at Emi. “I can help run orders out before introducing you, but my experience doesn’t include operating an espresso machine. Anything that produces that much steam and pressure is probably not something to experiment with unsupervised. If the Ashfords don’t mind pouring — or providing some on-the-job training, you and I can run the orders out until everyone is settled.

John looked critically at his shoulder. “I thought we agreed you would be getting some armor before your next mission.”
    "I can show you. My mother has become a coffee-- aficionado over the years and when she has guests, the kitchen bears an uncanny familiarity to the space we're in." Manny says, trying to usher John into the kitchen.

When John points out his shoulder and Missing fabric, Manny waves it off. "It's not often I have 2 sorties the same day. I meant to order something truly."

"What does everyone want?" Manny asks, heading to the kitchen and attempting to playfully shoo out Sidney.

28. - Top - End - #328

AssassinGuy

Keith smirks and nods, taking another bite from the cookies. After a sip of coffee, he sighs.

"Glad that's over and done with. Would have loved to pay that bug back again though."

Keith looks over his own shoulder and back at John as he is ushered by Manny.

"By the way, got a tailor you recommend for cloaks?"

29. - Top - End - #329

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith looks over his own shoulder and back at John as he is ushered by Manny.

"By the way, got a tailor you recommend for cloaks?"
    John glances over the various machines he had seen baristas use to measure out espresso, froth milk, and make coffee. He had seen it done and suspected he could figure it out if he had to but was doubtful that his brews would be up to snuff — at least when compared to what Sidney and her father could produce.

“If you say so, Manny,” he said, following his friend behind the bar. “I could manage a Moka or a consumer-grade unit but they don’t include this many extra buttons and dials for measuring the pressure.”

He glanced toward the counter at Keith. “Not yet but I will have someone who can help soon. My old family friend Jeffery is studying fashion and design at the Rhode Island School of Design. Emi agreed to let him design something for her for one of his classes and he has been hoping to design something for Manny as well — although his motives for asking for that job are somewhat suspect. I’m sure he could work with you on something.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-10-30 at 04:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    After Scott shakes Manny’s hand, he gives him a slight smile. “Nah, you boys go sit. Sidney and I will take care of everybody.”

Sidney returns to the front with a black apron on, carrying a large insulated metal cup with a lid and straw, and a bowlful of vanilla ice cream. She gestures with her bowl hand in a shooing motion. “Out of the kitchen you two. Papa and I got this.”

Once she’s dropped off Emi’s items, she goes around and take orders from everyone and writes them on a ticket. Scott grabs a small remote from behind the bar and turns on the sounds system, filling the shop with smooth jazz at a low volume.

Once she has everyone’s orders, Sidney and Scott move like a well oiled machine behind the bar, like they just did this yesterday, rather than almost 2 years ago. The both have easy smiles, and talk quietly between themselves as they work.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-30 at 07:05 PM.