New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Ashford Coffee Bar
    After Scott shakes Manny’s hand, he gives him a slight smile. “Nah, you boys go sit. Sidney and I will take care of everybody.”

Sidney returns to the front with a black apron on, carrying a large insulated metal cup with a lid and straw, and a bowlful of vanilla ice cream. She gestures with her bowl hand in a shooing motion. “Out of the kitchen you two. Papa and I got this.”

Once she’s dropped off Emi’s items, she goes around and take orders from everyone and writes them on a ticket. Scott grabs a small remote from behind the bar and turns on the sounds system, filling the shop with smooth jazz at a low volume.

Once she has everyone’s orders, Sidney and Scott move like a well oiled machine behind the bar, like they just did this yesterday, rather than almost 2 years ago. The both have easy smiles, and talk quietly between themselves as they work.
    Manny puts his hands up in cheerful resignation and a big smile. "Alright, alright. We'll go sit." Manny takes a seat by Aeryn and Yuki and across from John and Emi. He looks back at the father and daughter and can help but put his head down and smile. "They haven't missed a beat, have they?" He says, looking back at the group.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    Manny puts his hands up in cheerful resignation and a big smile. "Alright, alright. We'll go sit." Manny takes a seat by Aeryn and Yuki and across from John and Emi. He looks back at the father and daughter and can help but put his head down and smile. "They haven't missed a beat, have they?" He says, looking back at the group.
    “Not at all,” John observed, smiling. “Watching them, I suspect they are enjoying this more than they would sitting here listening to you and me dirtying more dishes than they would.”

He turned to Emi and was lost for a moment looking at her as she had a spoonful of her ice cream, recalling the contentment he had felt as their auras mingled. Glancing back towards the bar, he watched with more than natural vision at the interplay between the auras of the father and daughter. He had not yet mastered that art of seeing, being only able to sense his own aura — and those it interacted with — with any certainty. As faint as his vision was, there was a delight as they mingled and shifted, helping them direct each other as they shared the narrow space.

He quickly turned back as Emi lowered her spoon. “Where are my manners?” He asked Emi. “Please allow me to present Manny Vincent, code name Izulu. Manny, this is um,” he looked down, grinning a little foolishly. “This is Emilia Shaw, code name Siren. I know you know one another by reputation and from various forms of media, but it is still my pleasure to introduce you to her.”

John felt certain that Manny would not be upset at being placed in the lower social role when John was introducing him to Emi. It was true that she likely did outrank all of them on the social hierarchy on both sides of the pond — although Yuki might be a societal peer to her. He doubted Mr. Ashford noticed — if he was even aware of such social niceties given that were not employed often, if at all, on this side of the pond. Manny might know — as might Raphael and Yuki, whose homeland was much more formal than here. Ayern might have received notice of that in his briefings before coming to Earth.

Zylas would know, of course, but John was not planning to make those introductions unless there were a serious change in plans.

If Manny did notice, he suspected that his friend would understand why he did it and limit his reaction to some good natured chiding about his putting Emi on a pedestal.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-10-31 at 05:35 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

All Bases Covered:

Raphael makes a show of examining the decor before focusing his attention back on Scott and shrugging. "Name's Raphael. They did the heavy lifting" He says nodding at John and Emilia.

He quickly finds a seat on the couch next to Stella. Watching Sidney and her father work their magic, Raphael surreptitiously pulls his phone from his pocket and takes a few pictures of Sidney in her element.

He leans over and nudges Stella and scrolls back and forth through the handful of pictures. "I heard John say Ryker had crawled into a bottle. I figure seeing Sidney be..." He looks up at the on-off villainess again and smiles. "normal, might do him some good. Which one of these do you think is best?"

4. - Top - End - #334

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
    “Not at all,” John observed, smiling. “Watching them, I suspect they are enjoying this more than they would sitting here listening to you and me dirtying more dishes than they would.”

He turned to Emi and was lost for a moment looking at her as she had a spoonful of her ice cream, recalling the contentment he had felt as their auras mingled. Glancing back towards the bar, he watched with more than natural vision at the interplay between the auras of the father and daughter. He had not yet mastered that art of seeing, being only able to sense his own aura — and those it interacted with — with any certainty. As faint as his vision was, there was a delight as they mingled and shifted, helping them direct each other as they shared the narrow space.

He quickly turned back as Emi lowered her spoon. “Where are my manners?” He asked Emi. “Please allow me to present Manny Vincent, code name Izulu. Manny, this is um,” he looked down, grinning a little foolishly. “This is Emilia Shaw, code name Siren. I know you know one another by reputation and from various forms of media, but it is still my pleasure to introduce you to her.”

John felt certain that Manny would not be upset at being placed in the lower social role when John was introducing him to Emi. It was true that she, with the exception of Ayern, likely did outrank all of them on the social hierarchy on both sides of the pond — although Yuki might be a societal peer to her. He doubted Mr. Ashford noticed — if he was even aware of such social niceties given that were not employed often, if at all, on this side of the pond. Manny might know — as might Raphael and Yuki, whose homeland was much more formal than here. Ayern might have received notice of that in his briefings before coming to Earth — especially given his own social station, which he was scrupulously ignoring.

Zylas would know, of course, but John was not planning to make those introductions unless there were a serious change in plans.

If Manny did notice, he suspected that his friend would understand why he did it and limit his reaction to some good natured chiding about his putting Emi on a pedestal.
    "Ah yes. Lady Shaw, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Manny says, with a gesture. "John's told me so little about you. I hope you'll be able to fill me in since my friend's head has been firmly in the clouds at your recent acknowledgement of one another. I'm sure he's been nothing but a gentleman." Giving a cheeky grin to John as he graciously accepts his cafe au lait from Sidney.

Manny closed his eyes as the coffee warmed his core on this chilly autumn night. He let out a contented sigh. "Beautiful roast."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-30 at 10:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Stella flicks through Raphael’s pictures before choosing the one that she thinks looks the best. “You may want to wait until we get back to send him that or show it to him,” she says quietly. “I think he’ll really like it, but Mimi nous a prévenu qu'il menaçait de fondre à porte pour venir la retrouver.”

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    Warned us that he was threatening to melt to door down to come find her

Emi takes another bite of ice cream before carefully patting her mouth with a napkin as John introduces her. “A pleasure Manny. You’re right, John has been nothing but a gentleman. What would you like to know about me?”

Sidney comes around and hands out three more drinks to Aeryn, Yuki, and Stella. “One chai, one green tea latte, one Java chip,” she says in a low voice, mostly to herself, as she gives them to each person.

6. - Top - End - #336

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    After Scott shakes Manny’s hand, he gives him a slight smile. “Nah, you boys go sit. Sidney and I will take care of everybody.”

Sidney returns to the front with a black apron on, carrying a large insulated metal cup with a lid and straw, and a bowlful of vanilla ice cream. She gestures with her bowl hand in a shooing motion. “Out of the kitchen you two. Papa and I got this.”

Once she’s dropped off Emi’s items, she goes around and take orders from everyone and writes them on a ticket. Scott grabs a small remote from behind the bar and turns on the sounds system, filling the shop with smooth jazz at a low volume.

Once she has everyone’s orders, Sidney and Scott move like a well oiled machine behind the bar, like they just did this yesterday, rather than almost 2 years ago. The both have easy smiles, and talk quietly between themselves as they work.

Emi takes another bite of ice cream before carefully patting her mouth with a napkin as John introduces her. “A pleasure Manny. You’re right, John has been nothing but a gentleman. What would you like to know about me?”

Sidney comes around and hands out three more drinks to Aeryn, Yuki, and Stella. “One chai, one green tea latte, one Java chip,” she says in a low voice, mostly to herself, as she gives them to each person.
    Keith sat back at the bar watching everyone, waiting for their orders to come back before he continued with what Scott had given him. He was rather content sitting there listening to the conversations going on, and for seeing John talk almost normally with Manny. Seemed like they definitely knew how to rib each other.

Even at John's response of the tailor, Keith couldn't help but grin.

"No rush at all! This one just takes a bit more willpower." Keith mentions as the cloak of shadows fades back. "Granted the actual shadow should be useful. A fabric one comes in handy."

He couldn't help but smirk at the comments. He glanced over to check out the well oiled machine that were the Ashfords. They never missed a beat, and knew exactly what the other was up to. He figured with it being in Sidney's blood, she'd remember it all anyway. And seeing the scene made him want to clear her name even more.

Keith tilted his head towards Aeryn and Yuki.

"How are y'all holdin' up? Still feelin' alright, Aeryn?"

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Q&A
    Redline sighs. "Yeah, sorry about the mess back there. Everything happened so fast after the fight started. Didn't even think to keep their product undamaged so we could turn it over to you guys as evidence."

"The Monte? I'm pretty sure my stunt double's still driving it around. I didn't get a good look at it before they took off but I can get him to send the info over to you. I did pick these up before leaving though. Figured someone would need'em." Redline says, removing the set of keys from his jacket pocket with a small flourish. "Which reminds me. There's something I wanted to ask you once we get through all of this. No rush though, It's not like I've got anywhere else to be."
    The detective shrugs. “Job hazard,” he says with a half smile. He leans back in his chair. “It would be good if I could get the VIN for the car sooner rather than later. Anything stand out to you in the fight?” Varga asks as he looks back at his computer. “Looks like Leo had some serious injuries.”

Quote Originally Posted by Redline
    Drop Off
    Louis slowly turns his head to look back at Ryker from the front seat in mild disbelief before he remembers that he's driving. He snaps his head back to look at the road and drives in silence for a few seconds as he finds somewhere to park. The hero brings the Monte Carlo to a stop along a quiet side street.

"Hey I know this whole situation's got you pretty !@#$%^ right now but could you listen to me for a sec? I'm only askin' for a minute or less." The hero requests as he looks back at his partner in the mirror.

"Look I ain't a therapist and I'm not trying to be but I think you've got a lot to unpack after today... well, the past year or so actually. Technically I'm not supposed to let you outta my sight but if you need some time to clear your head I'm not gonna stop you. Just meet me back at the base once you get your bike alright?"

Louis unlocks the back door for Ryker and waits for an answer in any format.
    Ryker pauses after Louis speaks. “I’m gonna take the long way. I’ll be back in 45.” He pushes the passenger seat forward and climbs out of the Monte Carlo, but before he closes the door, he says quietly, “Thanks Louis.”

He shuts the door and heads down the street toward his bike, sticking his hands deep in his pockets.

Back at Base
    As promised, Ryker pulls into the garage about 45 minutes later. He parks his bike and goes to find Louis in the lounge. Leaning in the doorway, he crosses his arms, looking down at the floor. “Here I am, Louis. Let’s talk.”

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Aeryn smiles as he takes a drink from his mug. “I’m doing really good now. Sidney made my drink extra hot, too.”

Spoiler: Keith- Notice TN 4
    Show
    Aeryn’s eyes are brighter now, but still a dark orange

Yuki nods to Keith. “I’m glad no one else ended up hurt and that you’re alright, Aeryn. I’m sorry Wolf and I weren’t there to help you.”

The alien turns his bright smile over to his teammate. “Don’t worry about it, Yuki. You guys had civilians to save.”

“Still,” she replies, sipping her latte. “I’m just glad you’re okay.” She looks at Sidney and Scott, watching them for a moment. “It’s good to see her so happy.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-31 at 11:42 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee BarEmi takes another bite of ice cream before carefully patting her mouth with a napkin as John introduces her. “A pleasure Manny. You’re right, John has been nothing but a gentleman. What would you like to know about me?”

John’s eyes darted around the table, trying two help fill in the gaps in the conversations he was half-overhearing. Raphael appeared to be planning something cheeky, given the mildly reproving look that had flickered across Stella’s face. Ayern appeared to have taken a serious hit in their encounter with the raeksha earlier and have been healed up. There was a sense that there was something non-standard about the healing process that he should look into later so that he could be prepared to offer aid, should it ever become necessary. Keith was remaining oddly aloof from the group by not moving from his perch at the coffee bar — although that was not necessarily out of character for him and it preserved a kind of pride of place based on his having secured their arrival with Mr. Ashford.

Of primary concern, however, was Manny and Emi’s conversation. He was torn between wanting that to go well and wanting to somehow shelter her from the crowd. He recalled how much of a strain her first healing had been but had no way of knowing how much of a strain this session had been. Yes, he had been able to quickly provide her with Tylenol (Note to Self: Refill Tylenol container when returning to base and add a small container of water sufficient for one dose to that pouch.). Perhaps he should add a new pouch and store some freeze-dried ice cream in case she needed it in the future. Unless, of course, the feel and the temperature of the ice cream was an important part of the healing process. (Note to Self: Refine Ice Cream Summoning Spell to include transformation of freeze dried ice cream into a bowl of the real thing.).

“My apologies for not preparing a written briefing for you to review once you woke up this afternoon,” John noted to Manny wryly as he reached up to caress the spot near the base of her skull that responded to his massage on Sunday. “I thought I would have more than 24 hours to prepare a briefing about her for you.”

In his mind’s eye, John glanced at the table next to the door of his Mind Palace. In the basket, just below the space where keys hung, there was a bottle of Tylenol, a small vial of water in a flexible plastic container not unlike the ones used by the Apollo astronauts or Raphael, and a small foil-wrapped packet of dehydrated ice cream.

His mind flickered back to the here and now and he glanced at the doorway, wondering when Seraph would arrive. He briefly hoped he would be able to help Emi but then recalled that he had not moved to do so on Sunday.

9. - Top - End - #339

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny let's a reassuring smile slip at her mention of John being a perfect gentleman. Glad to see slinking about town with me didn't hamper his sense too much.

"Well I'd ask how you two met but given John's penchant for working well after the whistle, I assume it was here and on the job. Since I'd not known him to court anyone during our time together in London." Manny says before taking another sip of coffee. "How is it you've made it here of all places?"

10. - Top - End - #340

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Aeryn smiles as he takes a drink from his mug. “I’m doing really good now. Sidney made my drink extra hot, too.”

Spoiler: Keith- Notice TN 4
    Show
    Aeryn’s eyes are brighter now, but still a dark orange

Yuki nods to Keith. “I’m glad no one else ended up hurt and that you’re alright, Aeryn. I’m sorry Wolf and I weren’t there to help you.”

The alien turns his bright smile over to his teammate. “Don’t worry about it, Yuki. You guys had civilians to save.”

“Still,” she replies, sipping her latte. “I’m just glad you’re okay.” She looks at Sidney and Scott, watching them for a moment. “It’s good to see her so happy.”
    Spoiler: My, what orange eyes you have Aeryn
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 9 1d6o6+2 7

Keith smiled and nodded as Aeryn and Yuki responded. It was good that Sidney had made his drink extra hot, and he even began to wonder if she knew something may have been up. Or did she think that because of his powers he would prefer it hotter than most of the others.

It did feel a bit odd though. He normally felt on the outskirts of his teams, but he didn’t quite realize just how much distance he had put between himself and the others until he saw extra spots at the table. They were all his friends, and he should stop standing on the sidelines.

Then again, Emi did seem like she was exhausted, and he felt concerned for the extra strain that had come about today. Still, he decided to grab his cup and plate and move over to the table. He found an open spot to not be as standoffish to everyone else. It was a celebration, and they should all be together.

He turned to Aeryn and smiled.

“Glad to hear! Still just gonna worry about ya.” He then turned to Yuki. “Me too. Think we all went into a frenzy right after. Just glad you and Wolf managed to get the civilians as safe as possible while we finished up.”

He turned his gaze over to the family working behind the counter. He felt a twinge of longing for part of the family he’d never know again. But also wondered if he might just be able to make those memories with his uncle now. It was also really good to see the color returning to Aeryn’s eyes.

Keith just smiled softly. “Yeah, it really is. They both needed this, and think we did too.”

Keith turns to both Yuki and Aeryn. “You both probably already know I’m a sucker for helpin’ anyone in need. And sorry for earlier, if I worried y’all. Did y’all just trust me to know what was goin’ on and to not get in too deep?”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Keith is attempting to trigger a sharing celebration but asking if he has Aeryn or Yuki (GM choice) if he has their respect (phrasing as trust since there’s not really a nice way to ask if you have their respect).

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    “Manny’s the one that organized everyone. Without him there, I don’t know if they would have listened to Wolf and I,” Yuki says as her expression turns slightly melancholy. She does smile at Keith though. “I was worried about you, but if I didn’t trust you, I would have gone in after you,” she replies as Aeryn nods along with her.

OOC: Keith triggers a celebration and gains Influence over Yuki (if he didn’t have it already)

Emi shifts away from John’s hand as she takes a drink of water before answering Manny. “You’re right, we did meet on the job,” she replies with a slight smile. “As to how I came to be here, I’ve been in the US since I was about ten years old, attending boarding school up in New York. I spent some time with my father and brother in Aeon City, but ultimately Myriad assigned both my brother and I here to Iron Station. I won’t say I wasn’t a little disappointed, but I am glad that they did so, since I got to meet John.”

The bell over the door chimes again, and Seraph walks in. His tight expression softens upon seeing the scene inside and he gives everyone a small wave.

Scott pales as he sees who it is, but manages to calmly walks out from behind the bar to greet West Side’s Team Lead. “Scott Ashford, sir,” he says as he offers his hand to the much younger man. “I want to thank you for helping out my daughter.”

“Please, call me James,” Seraph says as he shakes Scott’s hand. “Sidney’s been wonderful. After hearing what she’s gone through, how could I not help her out? We’ll do everything we can to get her name cleared.”

“O-okay,” Scott says, slightly stunned. “James. Uh, can I get you a coffee?”

Seraph smiles at him. “I’ll take a red eye, with a little bit of cream. I’m just starting my night.”

Scott nods. “Coming right up,” he says before returning behind the bar.

Seraph unbuckles his sword from his hip and takes a seat in one of the leather chairs that Sidney pulled up next to the couch, before he leans the scabbarded weapon against the arm. “I’m glad to see everyone’s in one piece after today. You’re looking better, Aeryn.”

“Yes sir,” the alien replies as he takes another sip of tea. “Did you destroy the demon?”

The angel nods. “It’s dead. You all did a great job softening it up though.”

Spoiler: For those that are curious— Seraph’s sword description
    Show
    The guard and pommel of Seraph’s sword is dark gray metal, with angelic runes inlayed in gold, while the handle is wrapped in black leather. Embedded in the cross guard between the upswept quillions is a multifaceted orange jewel the size of a chicken’s egg.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-01 at 01:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342

OldWizardGuy

Emi shifts away from John’s hand as she takes a drink of water before answering Manny. “You’re right, we did meet on the job,” she replies with a slight smile. “As to how I came to be here, I’ve been in the US since I was about ten years old, attending boarding school up in New York. I spent some time with my father and brother in Aeon City, but ultimately Myriad assigned both my brother and I here to Iron Station. I won’t say I wasn’t a little disappointed, but I am glad that they did so, since I got to meet John.”

The bell over the door chimes again, and Seraph walks in. His tight expression softens upon seeing the scene inside and he gives everyone a small wave.
    You can’t be the hero to Emi all the time, John, he reassured himself as Emi shifted away from his touch and he clung to her words of affection for him. There were too many reasons why she might not want him to ease her muscles, he thought as he smiled and used his now freed hand to return Seraph’s wave before setting his arm down to rest on the back of Emi’s chair: The pain points might be different from last time or they might be too sensitive at this stage. It might make her more vulnerable — emotionally or psychically.

Or she might just not want that right now because she isn’t in the mood. She’s a person — not a predictable machine.

You got her to a place where she could have some ice cream, which will help. You got her to a place where she can see the tangible results of her work (Sidney being normal) and how it is impacting a larger community (Mr. Ashford and the rest of the team, who are clearly happy to see Sidney happy). Even Seraph is here to enjoy the fruits of her labor.

Despite all that, John recognized that he still wanted to be the good boyfriend. He had hoped she would glance at him and smile at the comfort he was providing to her and he would get that little rush at knowing he was offering what she needed before she asked.

The problem, of course, was his lack of experience in relationships. Sure, he had learned how to be there from his female friends and his sister when they needed someone to listen to or support them but he suspected there was something more he should be offering as a serious boyfriend. And while their relationship (conveniently tied to how long they had known one another) was still less than a week old — a timeframe that made the label ‘serious’ seem like he was overreaching, his having been chosen to be the one she kissed first felt like it made it so.

His habit of referring to her family as future in-laws — and the trust she and her father had extended to him in accepting his help with Mrs. Shaw’s condition — seemed to underscore that point.

Things had moved quickly — and, given his plans, were likely to accelerate. It was outstripping his knowledge of how to act in his newfound role.

She said they would learn together, he reminded himself as he half-reached for a cup that wasn’t yet there.

With the hand that bore the mark of his kay’al.

Together, John. You will work on it together.

If she didn’t expect him to be perfect, he shouldn’t expect it of himself either.

13. - Top - End - #343

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    “Manny’s the one that organized everyone. Without him there, I don’t know if they would have listened to Wolf and I,” Yuki says as her expression turns slightly melancholy. She does smile at Keith though. “I was worried about you, but if I didn’t trust you, I would have gone in after you,” she replies as Aeryn nods along with her.

OOC: Keith triggers a celebration and gains Influence over Yuki (if he didn’t have it already)

"That is a sweet bit of serendipity." Manny says, taking another measured sip of his drink. Looking back at John, He grins. "Hopefully you can help him with his--" Manny stops short as a figure approaches the door.

Scott pales as he sees who it is, but manages to calmly walks out from behind the bar to greet West Side’s Team Lead. “Scott Ashford, sir,” he says as he offers his hand to the much younger man. “I want to thank you for helping out my daughter.”

“Please, call me James,” Seraph says as he shakes Scott’s hand. “Sidney’s been wonderful. After hearing what she’s gone through, how could I not help her out? We’ll do everything we can to get her name cleared.”

Seraph smiles at him. “I’ll take a red eye, with a little bit of cream. I’m just starting my night.”

Seraph unbuckles his sword from his hip and takes a seat in one of the leather chairs that Sidney pulled up next to the couch, before he leans the scabbarded weapon against the arm. “I’m glad to see everyone’s in one piece after today. You’re looking better, Aeryn.”

“Yes sir,” the alien replies as he takes another sip of tea. “Did you destroy the demon?”

Show
    The guard and pommel of Seraph’s sword is dark gray metal, with angelic runes inlayed in gold, while the handle is wrapped in black leather. Embedded in the cross guard between the upswept quillions is a multifaceted orange jewel the size of a chicken’s egg.
    "Glad to see you're all in one piece, sir." Manny says. After Seraph takes his seat. "Quite the weapon you've got there. This isn't the holy equivalent of the Hope Diamond is it?"

14. - Top - End - #344

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

Keith smiles and rubs the back of his neck sheepishly. It was a stupid thing for him to ask, he should have known that. Of course they trusted him, even without knowing what Emi and the others did. Still, it was nice to hear it. He still remembered when Grayson had finally come to trust his judgment a bit, and it was still one of the highlights of his time in Iron Station.

"People act strangely when they're scared. Even the best intentions get twisted and it's hard to see what's going on in reality." Keith huffs a laugh. "Some people still treat me with contempt just because of darkness, but that's just because a lot of people don't understand that it's not inherently bad. I'm sure they would have calmed down eventually." He offers a reassuring smile.

"And, thank you Yuki. I'm glad to have your trust and friendship." Keith looks back at Scott for a second and chuckles. "The good news is that now we have a slightly funny story to tell since that ended well." He took another sip of coffee and offered them a cookie from the plate. He had held onto the one he was eating just in case someone else had wanted to try one.

"Wonder if John could help me get back into practice by using Don's old stealth drills. Could be entertaining."

Show
    Keith looks up as the door chimes and sighs in relief seeing Seraph well enough. He nods as it's confirmed the Raeksha was dead.

"Glad to hear, and that y'all made it alright too." He eyes the sword for a moment and nods in agreement with Manny's question. "Wouldn't be surprised if it was. That sword is a work of art!"

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Emi takes John’s hand and gives him a quick, reassuring smile. Her voice in John’s head is just a whisper, even quieter than it had been at 5th Chapter. Thank you, John. I want you to massage my neck, but I don’t want to make any embarrassing noises. Later, okay?

“You can put a monetary value on the Hope Diamond,” the angel replies, glancing over at Manny. “This stone is one of one. There are six in the world that are similar, but all of them are unique in their own way. I only know the location of one other.”

Seraph grins at Keith as he picks up his sword. “You haven’t even seen the best part,” he says as he pulls the weapon a foot out of the scabbard to show off the blade. The metal is gray and black in a stunning braided pattern.

Sidney stops by and drops off a black coffee for John, a white hot chocolate for Raphael and Seraph’s red eye. She eyes the blade and whistles. “I didn’t even know you could make a sword look like that. Where’d you get it?”

“It’s a family heirloom,” he answers and he slides the blade back down and sets it beside him again. “It’s been in the family for… many many years.”

16. - Top - End - #346

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Emi takes John’s hand and gives him a quick, reassuring smile. Her voice in John’s head is just a whisper, even quieter than it had been at 5th Chapter. Thank you, John. I want you to massage my neck, but I don’t want to make any embarrassing noises. Later, okay?
    As you wish, John projected back reassuringly — although he was beginning to wonder how much Emi was reading from his expression and how much she was picking up from him psychically — either subconsciously or as a low-level empath. Given the number of his almost surreptitious glances at her legs, he wasn’t sure which of the two would be worse. While his poker face was not perfect, it was also true that Montcrieff could read him like a book. Emi had been working on her observational skills for over a decade — just as he had. I’ll add that to the list of things not to do with you in public or semi-public venues, just below snogging.

It might be nerve racking, but it was also comforting. They were well matched in that regard.

Of course, it was also true that this date threatened to extend past midnight with the questions and explanations they had been putting off: What her father’s reaction to the Madeira was; What she wanted to ask about Raphael (probably already answered) and the other denizens of 5th Chapter (possibly answered), and now a neck massage.

The last item seemed like the best place to start.

John noticed himself slipping his right hand below the table as Seraph drew his blade. He had noted it at his hip earlier today when it smoldered in the presence of Zylas. The way the light rippled along the alternating patterns on the blade made it seem to flow in the light, shifting like smoke and flowing like water all at once. It was magnificent and he was glad that, while it would be inaccurate to call it inert. it was at least still.

He had never seen its equal. Even the gemstone, which Seraph described….

Never seen its equal. The Princess Bride.

Oh Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.

As you wish.

He took a steadying cup of coffee, risking raising his left hand above the tabletop (as if that would make a difference) so as to not let go of Emi’s hand.

He glanced at her, wondering if he had given anything away — at least anything he had not already given away.

Maybe if he quickly got involved in a land war in Asia it would distract her.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-01 at 08:36 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    “You can put a monetary value on the Hope Diamond,” the angel replies, glancing over at Manny. “This stone is one of one. There are six in the world that are similar, but all of them are unique in their own way. I only know the location of one other.”

Seraph grins at Keith as he picks up his sword. “You haven’t even seen the best part,” he says as he pulls the weapon a foot out of the scabbard to show off the blade. The metal is gray and black in a stunning braided pattern.

Sidney stops by and drops off a black coffee for John, a white hot chocolate for Raphael and Seraph’s red eye. She eyes the blade and whistles. “I didn’t even know you could make a sword look like that. Where’d you get it?”

“It’s a family heirloom,” he answers and he slides the blade back down and sets it beside him again. “It’s been in the family for… many many years.”
    Keith tilts his head hearing about the other stones. It almost sounded like the ones they had encountered, just as a holy counterpart? Maybe he was reading too much into it but the thought was interesting. He'd see about researching it later.

"Six in total? Still cool they can remain unique through the similarity. What do they do?" Keith realized he was rattling off questions and looked at the ground quickly. "S-sorry, sir. Curiosity is getting the better of me."

He looks back up and his eyes widen seeing the pattern on the blade. It was magnificent. The braid pattern was something you could only dream of seeing. Well until seeing that sword! He could see that Seraph took great care of it as well, and that it was a family heirloom? Just care was even more amazing.

"Whoa....." Keith couldn't help but say as Seraph slid the blade back into the scabbard. "That certainly is the best part. I feel honored getting to see that design up close too!" He had a wide grin on his face thinking about it. In fact, it gave him an idea of how to make his father's blade ability his own.

"Can tell its had a great deal of care taken with it too. Thank you for sharing that with us, Seraph!"

The idea of family heirlooms..... he felt himself reaching for his obsidian crow pendant. It was as close to a family heirloom as his now had. Things like that, you keep close at hand.

18. - Top - End - #348

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

"No Doubt. I have trouble imagining celestial beings doing most things by mundane standards, including appreciating the passage of time." Manny says, eyeing the blade again. "Seraph I'd like a moment to speak with you before I adjourn. I'm in severe need of a shower."

Spoiler: Seraph's aside
    Show
    Manny rubs his neck and peers around a bit. "I've a rather interesting question and don't know how to phrase it without it sounding a bit dodgy so i'll just ask and we can sort it out later. Do you think it would be ok for Sidney to stay here for the night. I can only think it would be a benefit for her to sleep in her own bed for the first time in 18 months. I can swing by and take her back to the compound or even chaperone if she start feeling off and act as a early warning of sorts. I know what its like to see loved one for the first time after you weren't sure you'd get to again and... I just want her to enjoy it as much as she can."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Emi’s smile widens, but she doesn’t reply as she releases his hand to take another drink of her ice water.

“You usually can’t see the pattern because it’s on fire,” Seraph says with a chuckle. “As for taking care of it, my ancestors would come and haunt me if I didn’t. Not to mention—“ he trails off, glancing back over at the weapon before he looks back up at Keith. “The stone is life of the sword. I can’t tell you much more than that. Erelim secrets,” he says with a wink.

The angel gets up to follow Manny when he asks for a moment, leaving his sword by his chair.

Manny
    Seraph listens to Manny’s request and gives it an honest thought before he shakes his head. “I get where you’re coming from, but even just doing this is breaking the rules for her. Honestly, having her at the base at all is against AEGIS policy. I can’t take the chance that she’ll run again, or have another… episode. Emi can’t bring Sidney out of that again tonight.”

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Clever Title:

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Stella flicks through Raphael’s pictures before choosing the one that she thinks looks the best. “You may want to wait until we get back to send him that or show it to him,” she says quietly. “I think he’ll really like it, but Mimi nous a prévenu qu'il menaçait de fondre à porte pour venir la retrouver.”

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    Warned us that he was threatening to melt to door down to come find her
    Raphael gives Stella a look. "What, and miss out on seeing his expression?" He blows a raspberry "That." The vampire chuckles and slips his phone back into his pocket.

Raphael takes a sip of his hot chocolate. "This is a really nice contrast to earlier." He observes.

He glares at Seraph's sword when he leaves it unattended, but says nothing and tries to focus on the ambient conversation.

Spoiler: The Character doesn't have Danger Sense....
    Show

Spoiler: But the Player does....
    Show

Raphael is feeling inexplicably paranoid (certainly no justification with the week he's had) and should by some chance, Something DramaticTM happen, his first action is going to be to snatch up that sword so nothing happens to it. (and it can be wielded against his unholy flesh).

He'll burn a card or a Move or Burn to make it happen if necessary.

This includes any teammates who's curiosity gets the better of them.

21. - Top - End - #351

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    Seraph listens to Manny’s request and gives it an honest thought before he shakes his head. “I get where you’re coming from, but even just doing this is breaking the rules for her. Honestly, having her at the base at all is against AEGIS policy. I can’t take the chance that she’ll run again, or have another… episode. Emi can’t bring Sidney out of that again tonight.”
    Manny furrows his brow. "If we're breaking policy, What's the difference if she stays here under surveillance? You said yourself Emi's solution is out and If she walks back into the base and Ryker triggers all this again, did we do her any justice? We take her away from her Dad and then back to the one who started this whole little farce? Look at her, man. Let her be happy for the night. Please?"

Spoiler: OOC: MASKS STUFF!
    Show
    Attempting to convince(Provoke) Seraph(an NPC) into Not sending her back to deal with this stuff tonight

allowing her a night of relative normalcy

Being happy with her dad.

22. - Top - End - #352

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Emi’s smile widens, but she doesn’t reply as she releases his hand to take another drink of her ice water.

“You usually can’t see the pattern because it’s on fire,” Seraph says with a chuckle. “As for taking care of it, my ancestors would come and haunt me if I didn’t. Not to mention—“ he trails off, glancing back over at the weapon before he looks back up at Keith. “The stone is life of the sword. I can’t tell you much more than that. Erelim secrets,” he says with a wink.

The angel gets up to follow Manny when he asks for a moment, leaving his sword by his chair.
    Keith smiles and nods thinking back to when he had saw pictures of Seraph in action. The sword was normally on fire and he had wanted to know more about it. Really he thought it was art of Seraph’s power set.

He does nervously chuckle a bit at Seraph’s insistence that his ancestors would haunt him. And the stone being the life of the sword. Maybe all the power came from it?

“Can only imagine the threat of ancestors. Well, to a degree.” Keith knew entirely just how those before could haunt you, but Seraph also knew that. At the comment of it being Erelim secrets, Keith just nodded.

“Say no more, sir. I get the need for Erelim to keep those secrets. Am still curious but figure that’s all sated for now. Thank you for the insight!”

As Seraph gets up and leaves the sword there, Keith’s eyes linger on it for a moment, before he turns to glance over to the bar. It finally hit him what he was forgetting, after seeing Emi and John, then Raph and Stella. He still needed to confirm the date plans!

Just as he pulled up his phone thinking about Kylie’s horses back home that she had told him about, he heard part of the conversation between Manny and Seraph.

Spoiler: That’s some loud whispering
    Show
    Notice: 1d6o6+2 3 1d6o6+2 12

Manny
    Keith took another sip of his remaining coffee as he nodded in agreement with both Seraph and Manny. They made good points as to why Sidney either needed to stay at her dad’s tonight, or even just return to base.

It was even more so true that they were breaking every protocol by having her at the base. No one outside them but Emi and Eidolon knew as far as he had heard. Or at least, if they did know, the others didn’t ask him about it. He was thankful to avoid that inquisition at least.

It could do her a world of good to stay, and the void only knew what Ryker would do when he saw her next. Hopefully, he was being taken care of right now. Especially since someone had mentioned him crawling into a bottle!

Keith tilted his head and turned to Yuki. She might know, and it would be impolite to ask Emi or John right now on their date.

“Yuki, do you know of anywhere, maybe the outskirts of town that has like a stable area? Or horse trails? I have an idea. Not that I’ve ever ridden a horse before.” He was a bit nervous asking, though it was something Kylie would enjoy. If anyone else heard the conversation between Manny and Seraph, he'd let them interject.

23. - Top - End - #353

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    The broadened smile Emi had offered him was little too reminiscent of her father after he overheard him on Sunday for comfort, John thought as Emi raised her glass. Of course, any smile from her was enough to make him giddy, but this one had other possible meanings.

Okay, John. Calm down. The decision trees are completely in your favor here.

Emi is reading your reactions —> She has seen you accept her decision. Has she noticed you noticing your Freudian slip? Yes —> She has smiled and is amused at your ongoing attempts to stay calm in her presence. No —> She has smiled at your being understanding and accepting of her.

All good.

Emi hears what you are thinking/feeling —> Is she a fan of The Princess Bride? Yes —> She is amused at your Freudian slip OR feels the same way and will ask you to fetch her a pitcher. No —> Decision tree identical to reading your reactions.

All good.

It’s all good.

Unless you have to find a pitchet of water.

A carafe will do.

John glanced at her water to gauge how seriously he should take such a request. It could, after all, be a coincidence if she were to ask the question because she has run out of water. The question would only confirm her reciprocation of his feelings, via the film scene, if there was not a real need for the water. Unless, of course, she wanted to maintain the ambiguity or was uncertain if he was a fan of the film — which they had not discussed.

Note to self: Ask her what her favorite film is.

Later. Not now.

Spoiler: It isn’t so much eavesdropping as I couldn’t help but overhear….
    Show

John’s ears perked up at the conversation between Manny and Seraph. He wasn’t exactly trying to listen in — his focus was drifting back to Seraph’s sword — but nor were they being wholly secretive. While he resisted the thought of Sidney staying here, lest a passing police patrol inadvertently spied her and arrested her, it was also very Manny to try to come to the aid of a lady — especially a pretty one.

Odd. He had never really thought of Sidney in those terms but it was factually correct.

John looked around the table, painfully aware of how much Emi’s efforts and his intelligence and his bravery had made this moment possible — even his bravery had been fueled by his Amulet, which was a product of his intelligence. There was no way for Manny to know what personal risks he had taken to bring them here — nor was this the time or place to raise those issues. He could be brought up to speed later. Nor was his thinking out of line. To a degree, John agreed with his thinking. The benefits, however, did not outweigh the risks.

“I’d love a closer look at Seraph’s sword,” John said quietly to Emi as he stood and carefully folded his left hand behind his back and offered her his right. “What about you?”

Spoiler: Six stones? What do you mean there are six stones? Why hasn’t anyone told me about this?
    Show
    Occult Roll for Seraph’s Sword — especially the 1 in six stones: 1d12o12+2 7 1d6o6+2 16
    One Bennie Spent to Satisfy his curiosity

It bothered him a little that there were six stones — possible opposites to the ten Stones — and he had never even heard of them. One would have thought that Doctor Dee would have mentioned them. Of course, his interests had lain elsewhere when he was speaking with Uriel so perhaps the topic had just never come up.

How one might skip a gemstone similar in size and beauty to Cullinan I was something of a mystery, of course, but the good Doctor had less accessibility to Uriel than he had with Seraph.

More than anything, he thought while making his way around the table, carefully keeping the visible manifestation of his ka’yal behind his back, he was interested in the runes that were inscribed on the sword. There were so few written sources of Angelical and even fewer artifacts direct from Heaven. Did they record the name of the sword? Did they bind enchantments to the blade? There was still so much to learn.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-02 at 03:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny
    “If anything happens, it’s my head on the chopping block, Manny,” Seraph says with quiet emphasis as his wings pull tighter against his back. “She won’t be safe here. She’s still a wanted fugitive and I don’t want her going back to the Pit, just to stay here for a night. It’s only been a week since she broke out of her transport— police are still out looking for her. I’ve had to head off ISPD once already. And we still don’t know where the woman is that messed with her mind and broke it. I would either want myself or Harbinger here to watch her, if she was to stay. But I have patrols to do to take care of any other demons out tonight, and Harbinger’s getting his first nights sleep in a week.”

“Sometimes, you need to think with your head, and not just with your heart,” the angel says, though not unkindly. “That’s something my dad used to tell me all the time. I can’t risk it. Sidney can’t risk it. So why risk it at all?”

Spoiler: OOC: Masks Things
    Show
    Seraph is not susceptible to Manny’s words, so his Provoke is negated— the Move is still used, but gain a Potential.

Seraph is also attempting to Shift Manny’s Superior up and Mundane down. Accept the Label Shift or attempt to reject his Influence.

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Yuki pulls out her phone as Keith asks her about horse trails. She smiles slightly at Keith as Aeryn leans over to look at what she has pulled up. “I don’t know how to ride horses either,” she says, “but Google says there’s place called Brighton Acres that does boarding and has trails.”

“I remember seeing that place from the air,” Aeryn says. “It’s like fifteen minutes away from the edge of town, South side. It was the first time I’d ever seen a horse. What do you wanna go there for, Keith?”

Emi allows John to pull her out of her seat to go look at the sword. She sees him put his left hand behind his back and shakes her head slightly with a small smile.

Around the bottom of the pommel of the sword are runes that spell out the name ‘Zaphriel’. Running over the guard are runes that make a complex spell with several parts. He would need to see the other side of the sword and have a few hours to study it to figure out exactly what it did.

The most interesting thing, however, is the gem. It has an aura, not unlike anything else alive that John could see if he focused hard enough. The aura is contained inside of the orange jewel and shifts slightly as it feels John’s gaze upon it. As he looks, he feels the same golden wind that he’d felt when he first shook Seraph’s hand, and smells the same sweet scent of sandlewood and vanilla before everything fades back to reality.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-03 at 05:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

AssassinGuy

Manny
    “If anything happens, it’s my head on the chopping block, Manny,” Seraph says with quiet emphasis as his wings pull tighter against his back. “She won’t be safe here. She’s still a wanted fugitive and I don’t want her going back to the Pit, just to stay here for a night. It’s only been a week since she broke out of her transport— police are still out looking for her. I’ve had to head off ISPD once already. And we still don’t know where the woman is that messed with her mind and broke it. I would either want myself or Harbinger here to watch her, if she was to stay. But I have patrols to do to take care of any other demons out tonight, and Harbinger’s getting his first nights sleep in a week.”

“Sometimes, you need to think with your head, and not just with your heart,” the angel says, though not unkindly. “That’s something my dad used to tell me all the time. I can’t risk it. Sidney can’t risk it. So why risk it at all?”
    Keith winces slightly as Seraph makes his case. It was true that Sidney was still wanted, and though it felt like much longer, it had only been a week. The police were sure to check back here too since they would know of her connection to the coffee bar. At least, they would probably know.

Not to mention that Vibrato is still at large and there's no telling where she is. He didn't like it anymore than Manny did, but he knew that it would be safer for Sidney at the base after some thought. Even then, they could probably hope that Ryker was passed out by the time they bring her back. Or at least have him restrained somehow.

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Yuki pulls out her phone as Keith asks her about horse trails. She smiles slightly at Keith as Aeryn leans over to look at what she has pulled up. “I don’t know how to ride horses either,” she says, “but Google says there’s place called Brighton Acres that does boarding and has trails.”

“I remember seeing that place from the air,” Aeryn says. “It’s like fifteen minutes away from the edge of town, South side. It was the first time I’d ever seen a horse. What do you wanna go there for, Keith?”
    Keith's grin widens as he hears that and starts looking up the place too. It seemed fairly nice, and with the boarding and trails that could be well enough!

"That, actually makes me feel a bit better on that," he chuckles a bit nervously, "but Burnout does, and she loves them. Has a couple back home that are really awesome lookin' too." He tilts his head and looks at the google search. "Brighton Acres.... Looks really nice! Guess you read my mind too huh."

He then turns his gaze to Aeryn and nods. It would be a bit weird for Keith to want to go by himself, and Aeryn was his best friend at West Side and he hadn't heard the news yet.

"So, she agreed to one date, and while she suggested a concert, I figured something that she would enjoy more might be better. A slight taste of home if anythin' too." Keith shakes his head and looks at the ground. "I.... don't think she would enjoy the concert as much because she hasn't really, at least to my knowledge, enjoyed most of the bands playing either. Still grabbing an extra ticket in case, but figure this might go over a bit better."

He started drafting up a text to Kylie after speaking.

Spoiler: Text to Kylie
    Show

Hey Kylie, so about Saturday, what is we went to visit Brighton Acres? I know you haven't really gotten to do much horseback riding lately and thought it would be interesting and fun. What do you think?

26. - Top - End - #356

OldWizardGuy

Emi allows John to pull her out of her seat to go look at the sword. She sees him put his left hand behind his back and shakes her head slightly with a small smile.
    John looks at Emi out of the side of his eyes, smiling sheepishly as she shakes her head. “I’m, ah, still a little self-conscious about it. You may have noticed that before.”

As he led her to the sword, he studiously ignored the conversation that Keith was having with Yuki. Yes, part of him wondered how they tapped into the same line of thinking. Of course, he had been waiting for this chance for some time and likely had at least half-developed more than one plan for a date with Kylie.

He could almost hear the door to the planning room in his mental palace quietly closing on all of the half-explored, never executed plans that had been cleared away to be replaced by half-explored plans on what to do with Emi.

Whatever similarities Keith’s current situation may have with his own past efforts, this conversation was not something he wanted to involve himself or Emi in right now — let alone think about what this would do for Zack.

Perhaps after they, ah…after, he had suggested floated the idea with her so it didn’t look like he was copying Keith.

Around the bottom of the pommel of the sword are runes that spell out the name ‘Zaphreal’. Running over the guard are runes that make a complex spell with several parts. He would need to see the other side of the sword and have a few hours to study it to figure out exactly what it did.

The most interesting thing, however, is the gem. It has an aura, not unlike anything else alive that John could see if he focused hard enough. The aura is contained inside of the orange jewel and shifts slightly as it feels John’s gaze upon it. As he looks, he feels the same golden wind that he’d felt when he first shook Seraph’s hand, and smells the same sweet scent of sandlewood and vanilla before everything fades back to reality.
    John’s eyes widen briefly as he communes with the spirit of the gem of the sword, instinctively crossing himself as the vision begins to fade.

<<I am honored to be in your presence and so acknowledged, Zaphriel,>> John said quietly in Angelical. <<Please don’t hesitate to let me know if I may be of service.>>

Spoiler: He must know all the things!
    Show
    Knowledge: Occult for the name Zaphreal: 1d12o12+2 13 1d6o6+2 3
    A Second Bennie Spent — because John has to know these things!

Remembering her sensitivity to Doctor Dee’s mirror, John looked to Emi, trying to determine if she, too, experienced the visitation.

Spoiler: Checking on his magically sensitive psychic girlfriend
    Show
    Notice — checking on Emi: 1d10o10+4 13 1d6o6+4 5
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-03 at 06:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    As John speaks to the sword in Angelical and crosses himself, Emi looks quizzically over at her boyfriend. It doesn’t seem she got the same vision that he did, but her powers are also extremely weak at the moment.

The spirit inside the gem flickers in response to John’s words before it fades back into dormancy.

John, what is it? Emi asks. Do the runes say something important?

Spoiler: John Remembers Things
    Show
    After some deep thought, the name comes to John’s mind. Zaphriel, along with five other angels, volunteered to be given mortal bodies and were sent to earth to protect it from demonic incursion.

“She rides horses?” Aeryn asks Keith. “They’re a lot smaller than what I thought they would be when I got a little closer.”

“I think that’s a really good idea, Keith,” Yuki says. “Something personal like that is a great date idea.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-03 at 05:00 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    As John speaks to the sword in Angelical and crosses himself, Emi looks quizzically over at her boyfriend. It doesn’t seem she got the same vision that he did, but her powers are also extremely weak at the moment.

The spirit inside the gem flickers in response to John’s words before it fades back into dormancy.

John, what is it? Emi asks. Do the runes say something important?

Spoiler: John Remembers Things
    Show
    After some deep thought, the name comes to John’s mind. Zaphriel, along with five other angels, volunteered to be given mortal bodies and were sent to earth to protect it from demonic incursion.
    In the distant past, John summarized, still in awe of what he had experienced, six angels descended and assumed mortal bodies to help protect the Earth and those who dwelled upon it from demons. One of the six was named Zaphriel and his name is inscribed at the bottom of the pommel. Within the gem is a life force — a life force that responds to Angelical and shares much in common with Seraph.

He turned to look at her and smiled.

It appears tonight is a night for discovering surprising family relations. If I had to hazard a guess, Zaphreal is Seraph’s ancestor and exists within the gem. I’d ask but his response to Keith indicates he wants this kept secret.

John glanced towards Seraph, reaching once more for Emi’s hand. I will try to find out what we should and should not admit to knowing and who we should admit knowing things to.

John chuckled to himself internally. So. Thus far, I have taken you to dinner in a vampiric lair for a surprise double date with a vampire and his cursed girlfriend — a curse that can impact you negatively — where we discovered Stella has an unknown sister, dragged you along to help heal Sidney after Ryker accidentally caused a mental break, leaving your powers weakened and giving you a splitting headache, and now I have brought you along to get some ice cream and coffee only to meet Seraph’s likely ancestor who has taken up residence in a gem set in the pommel of his flaming sword.

And on the way, you got to be steamrolled by my sister into visiting my family and gotten front row seats to the fast moving changes of your best friend’s love life.

Do I know how to show a girl a good time or what?
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-03 at 06:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny

"For this." Manny says, pointing to the two Ashfords working together and chatting quietly to each other. "You're in it for the wrong reasons if you take these moments for granted and since you've had to talk to bereaved parents recently, you know that any moment you spend with your child may be the last and to cherish it. You have valid reasons to do what you think is best, but are you sure you're doing her some great service by taking her back when this is the happiest she's been since you found her?" Manny asks, doing his best to keep his voice low and stay evenheaded. He takes a moment thinking of when his father last actually saw him. He lowers his head a little, guilt still stabbing at him.

"I'm sorry, It's been long day and this has been a bit much. It's your show and you can run it how you see fit. As a professional suggestion though, if you're gonna have her under house arrest then perhaps have your AI do its job and keep her locked down. We wouldn't have had this beautiful reunion if Mimi had thought with her head."

Spoiler: OOC: More Masks Stuff!
    Show
    Manny Rejects the Label shift: 10
    Manny chooses to:
    * shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice(Savior +, Superior-)
    * cancel their influence and take +1 forward against them.
    Manny Fills His Potential He unlocks 3 new flares! (Snatch, Elemental Awareness, Move)

Rumbling thunder can be heard overhead.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-11-02 at 10:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360

NinjaGuy

Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Varga
    The detective shrugs. “Job hazard,” he says with a half smile. He leans back in his chair. “It would be good if I could get the VIN for the car sooner rather than later. Anything stand out to you in the fight?” Varga asks as he looks back at his computer. “Looks like Leo had some serious injuries.”
    "I'll send you the VIN and a couple of pictures as soon as I can." Redline's stomach sinks a bit when Varga asks about what happened to Leo. He shifts a bit uncomfortably in his chair as he reruns the fight through his head. "Yeah... he took a nasty cut to the throat after throwing Vitriol and Nightgaunt through the front wall. Leo was pretty pissed about everything that happened and was going to try and take us out on the front lawn but Nightgaunt moved to stop him before that happened. It happened so fast I could barely catch it, but his swing went wide and after that I only remember seeing a spray of blood before Leo fell to ground."

Drop Off

Ryker pauses after Louis speaks. “I’m gonna take the long way. I’ll be back in 45.” He pushes the passenger seat forward and climbs out of the Monte Carlo, but before he closes the door, he says quietly, “Thanks Louis.”

He shuts the door and heads down the street toward his bike, sticking his hands deep in his pockets.
    Louis watches Ryker walk away for a moment, wondering if he's made the right decision. He was putting a lot of faith in someone whose past that would make most consider otherwise but he felt like he owed Ryker for his part in saving Izzy today. He drives off after a minute or and returns to base where he requests Mimi analyze and write up the Monte Carlo's specs while he spends some time decompressing in the lounge.

Back at Base

As promised, Ryker pulls into the garage about 45 minutes later. He parks his bike and goes to find Louis in the lounge. Leaning in the doorway, he crosses his arms, looking down at the floor. “Here I am, Louis. Let’s talk.”
    Louis pauses his game of Fast or Last: Most Wanted and leans back in his gaming chair to look up Ryker. "Sure, I just wanted to be sure you made it back without splitting your head open. Snowblood would probably kill me if it wasn't for her oath to 'do no harm'. You wanna play? This one's a classic." He asks holding the controller up in the air.