New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Ashford Coffee Bar
    “She rides horses?” Aeryn asks Keith. “They’re a lot smaller than what I thought they would be when I got a little closer.”

“I think that’s a really good idea, Keith,” Yuki says. “Something personal like that is a great date idea.”
    Keith nods at Aeryn's question and looks for a picture of Kylie's horses on his phone. He tries to find one of her on one of them too if he had one. As soon as he finds the pictures he's looking for he shows both Yuki and Aeryn.

"Yep! It's a big thing for her and she doesn't get to a lot here. They can be fairly small but strong as all heck. It depends a bit on the breed too."

"That one is Maverick. Think they used to do competitions, but she pretty much loves them either way." Keith's gaze goes distant for a moment.

He wondered about what if his next familiar could turn into a horse. How would he even house it then? He had no idea the first thing about horses! Then again, that would be a good thing to talk with Kylie about. He then smiles at Yuki.

"Thanks, Yuki! I really hope it goes well." He looks at the ground for a moment. "It feels weird saying this but, even if it doesn't end up the way I hope, still want her to have the best time possible. Kinda have mixed expectations and emotions after the chat you, me, Stella, and Sidney had the other day."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    Q&A
    “Leo’s probably gonna be okay,” Varga says. “They got him into surgery as soon as he got to the hospital. Once he’s out and recovered, he’ll get transferred to the Pit until he’s sentenced.”

The detective glances back at his monitor again before looking back at Louis. “Anything else to add? I think I have everything I need.” If Louis is done with his report, Varga reaches out and turns off the recorder.

“You had something else to ask, didn’t you? I’m assuming off the record?” he says after he takes a drink from a large metal coffee mug on his desk.

Back at Base
    “Oh,” Ryker says, almost disappointed. He looks at the screen for a moment before averting his gaze. “Nah man. Normally I’d be down, but my head’s really pounding. I think I’m gonna go to my room and chill. Maybe try to sleep.”

He gives Louis a nod before leaving him to his game.

Around 5pm, Louis gets a call from one of the nurses at the hospital. She tells him that they’re getting ready to discharge Izzy in the next thirty minutes or so.

When he arrives at the hospital, Izzy is waiting in reception. She’s wearing some donated yoga pants and a plain blue shirt. The Latina looks lost in thought until she notices Louis and smiles at him. “Thanks for coming to get me. I… really appreciate it.”

Manny
    A few of the angel’s feathers quiver as Manny strikes a nerve. However, his reply is calm. “Mimi made a mistake. She’s an AI and is still learning. Sidney talks with her often and I know that Mimi cares for her deeply. I’ve already spoken with her about what happened tonight, and Mimi agreed that she didn’t handle the situation in the correct way.”

Seraph sighs as he looks at Manny. “I can see your heart has blinded you to certain realities. You’ve never needed to truly protect someone. From you, or from themselves.”

“Sidney’s returning to base tonight,” he says with a note of finality before he leaves Manny and returns to the group.

Ashford Coffee Bar
    You mean there’s a literal angel inside that sword? Emi asks. She shakes her head again, a small movement only John would notice, before she smiles at him and tightens her grip on his hand. I’ve had a great night. Other than the headache, of course. You’ve set the bar for our dates pretty high, John, she says with a playful raised eyebrow. It might be hard to top this. She tugs him back to the couch so that she can resume eating her ice cream, which is half melted by this point, but she enjoys it nonetheless.

“Wow, they’re pretty,” Aeryn says as Keith shows them pictures. “The ones I saw were all just brown.”

“She used to ride competitively?” Yuki asks as she spots a ribbon on the gray horse’s bridle in one of the pictures. She zooms in. “1st place too.”

The shapeshifter smiles at Keith. “I think that’s very normal, Keith.”

Stella nods, joining Keith’s conversation. “Just be you. She’ll see how much you care about her.”

Seraph returns to his seat and takes a long drink of his cooled coffee. He glances up at John as the magician spots the spirit within the gem flicker again, but then his gaze moves around the group.

“Thank you for all you’ve done tonight,” the angel says as he looks around at the rest of the team. His gaze eventually rests on Stella, Raphael, John, and Emi. “I am sorry that you four had to cut your night short though.”

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    A few of the angel’s feathers quiver as Manny strikes a nerve. However, his reply is calm. “Mimi made a mistake. She’s an AI and is still learning. Sidney talks with her often and I know that Mimi cares for her deeply. I’ve already spoken with her about what happened tonight, and Mimi agreed that she didn’t handle the situation in the correct way.”

Seraph sighs as he looks at Manny. “I can see your heart has blinded you to certain realities. You’ve never needed to truly protect someone. From you, or from themselves.”

“Sidney’s returning to base tonight,” he says with a note of finality before he leaves Manny and returns to the group.
    Manny raises an eyebrow and a peal of thunder rips through the sky. He smirks as the angel walks away. He'd already let his emotions get the best of him earlier and while his message of concern for The Ashfords was heartfelt and came from a place of compassion, the call was not his to make.

The task, however, had been laid at his feet.

And we still don’t know where the woman is that messed with her mind and broke it. This was the crux to letting Sidney live a normal life. Get the true culprit behind bars. This wasn't the original reason he was in Iron Station but he would see it done before he left.

4. - Top - End - #364

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    “Wow, they’re pretty,” Aeryn says as Keith shows them pictures. “The ones I saw were all just brown.”

“She used to ride competitively?” Yuki asks as she spots a ribbon on the gray horse’s bridle in one of the pictures. She zooms in. “1st place too.”

The shapeshifter smiles at Keith. “I think that’s very normal, Keith.”

Stella nods, joining Keith’s conversation. “Just be you. She’ll see how much you care about her.”

Seraph returns to his seat and takes a long drink of his cooled coffee. He glances up at John as the magician spots the spirit within the gem flicker again, but then his gaze moves around the group.

“Thank you for all you’ve done tonight,” the angel says as he looks around at the rest of the team. His gaze eventually rests on Stella, Raphael, John, and Emi. “I am sorry that you four had to cut your night short though.”
    Keith's grin widens and he nods. Aeryn hadn't seen that many horses, and it would also be a good time for him to learn more of Earth culture too. He then nodded at Yuki's question.

"Yep! Most of the ones I had seen before she showed me these were brown too. But then again, never really paid much attention while travelling years before." Keith grimaced a bit before restoring his expression. "she's always been proud of the competitions."

He couldn't help but smile a bit more softly as Yuki told him the nerves were normal, and even Stella interjecting. They were both right. It was probably very normal to be as nervous as he was, and factoring in that Kylie still had a crush on Zach. He had to go in with mixed emotions and some mild expectations. He could only do the best he could at planning and hope it worked out well.

"Just be myself....." Keith's eyes grew a bit distant. He still really didn't know who that was, but he felt like he was getting closer to knowing. He still felt defined by his lineage, by the fact his father was a super villain. And it came back to him what Emi had said the other day, 'Who would date a villain?' He understood that he wasn't a villain, and he was his own person. Just a matter of defining it.

He eventually chuckled a bit and smiled.

"Yeah, I'll just focus on that. Thanks, Stella."

Keith turns to look at Seraph as he comes back down and nods with a smile still.

"It's what we do. Can't just leave our own like that. The Raeksha being dead is a nice bonus though." He laughed a bit. "And the obvious, of course." He turned to the others as well who's dates he had interrupted. "Should apologize for draggin' y'all from dinner again. And for not bringin' in the info all across. Sorry y'all."

5. - Top - End - #365

OldWizardGuy

You mean there’s a literal angel inside that sword? Emi asks. She shakes her head again, a small movement only John would notice, before she smiles at him and tightens her grip on his hand. I’ve had a great night. Other than the headache, of course. You’ve set the bar for our dates pretty high, John, she says with a playful raised eyebrow. It might be hard to top this. She tugs him back to the couch so that she can resume eating her ice cream, which is half melted by this point, but she enjoys it nonetheless.
    I’ll see what I can do about arranging a crisis on the dark side of the moon for us, John deadpanned as he was led back to their seats, but only if you promise I can ease up after that. Your father, I suspect, might frown on interplanetary expeditions within the first month of dating. Besides — the ice cream would be freeze dried there.

“Only to happy to help and I’m even happier to have been able to stop in here for a moment’s recovery,” John replied, toasting Seraph (with a subtle dip of his cup to Zaphriel) and Keith. He glanced back toward the coffee bar, smiling at Sidney and Mr. Ashford. “And the coffee certainly lives up to its high reputation.”

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott raises his mug at John from behind the bar and Sidney smiles before she takes another bite of her apple pie.

Stella shrugs as Keith apologizes. “You needed us.”

I think you’re right about that, Emi says, keeping one hand in John’s. Honestly though, you don’t need to try to keep topping yourself. I would be very happy with a quiet dinner every once in while.

Eventually, everyone finishes their drinks. Scott goes around and offers desserts, but the South Side heroes and Stella decline.

Seraph stands, buckling his sword back on his hip. “I should get to work,” he says before he heads over to the bar to say goodbye to Sidney and Scott.

7. - Top - End - #367

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott raises his mug at John from behind the bar and Sidney smiles before she takes another bite of her apple pie.

I think you’re right about that, Emi says, keeping one hand in John’s. Honestly though, you don’t need to try to keep topping yourself. I would be very happy with a quiet dinner every once in while.

Eventually, everyone finishes their drinks. Scott goes around and offers desserts, but the South Side heroes and Stella decline.

Seraph stands, buckling his sword back on his hip. “I should get to work,” he says before he heads over to the bar to say goodbye to Sidney and Scott.
    We could do take out on you team’s roof and plan your roof garden, John suggests as he politely declines the offer of dessert, although there seems to be a growing list of complications and distractions thee. I haven’t been able to figure out if there is a good place for dinner and dancing. My initial search produced a lot of night clubs that leaned more towards Studio 54 than they did toward the Cotton Club or the Straus Ball.

8. - Top - End - #368

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

Keith smiles as he sees the exchange, and starts pondering becoming a delivery boy for the apple pie. Considering the conversation between Manny and Seraph earlier, it might be a good thing to cover with Seraph first. Though it would also seem like that would be a kind thing to do.

He's jolted from thought by Stella's response and rubs the back of his neck.

"T-true. Old habits." He chuckled a bit, and politely declined the offer of desserts as Scott comes back around.

"The cookies were amazing enough for dessert. Thank you again for those, Mr. Ashford!" He then turns his head as Seraph prepares to get back on patrol. He decides that then would be the best time for the question of what next.

"Seraph, is there anything that you would like us to focus on when we get back tonight? Also, mainly from curiosity, should I expect an angry call from Coldfront since I asked Mimi to get in touch with her?"

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    I would like that, Emi says. I’ll take a look for a good place as well, but we might have to go to dinner and then head to a dance studio. She stands, releasing John’s hand, and takes her bowl and John’s mug over to the bar.

“You don’t have to do that, Emilia,” Sidney says as she starts to gather the rest of the mugs. “I’ve got it.”

Emi just smiles at her, then looks through the dessert case. “Mr. Ashford, can I get two of the Andes Mint brownies you have in there? It’s my father and brother’s favorite.”

“Coming right up,” Scott says and he gets a small container ready for her.

Seraph shakes his head at Keith. “You all have had a full day. You don’t need to do anything else. Just rest and recoup. As for Coldfront, I spoke to her earlier. Don’t worry about it.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-03 at 08:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

"Thank you for your hospitality. I know this evening has been an... experience for you but I hope it was a good one overall." Manny says to Mr. Ashford, looking at the options available and then glancing at Sidney.

"A piece of that apple pie sounds delicious." Manny says, Pointing to what Sidney's eating with a delighted smile on his face. "Could I get a slice?"
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-11-04 at 07:54 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    I would like that, Emi says. I’ll take a look for a good place as well, but we might have to go to dinner and then head to a dance studio. She stands, releasing John’s hand, and takes her bowl and John’s mug over to the bar.

“You don’t have to do that, Emilia,” Sidney says as she starts to gather the rest of the mugs. “I’ve got it.”

Emi just smiles at her, then looks through the dessert case. “Mr. Ashford, can I get two of the Andes Mint brownies you have in there? It’s my father and brother’s favorite.”

Seraph shakes his head at Keith. “You all have had a full day. You don’t need to do anything else. Just rest and recoup. As for Coldfront, I spoke to her earlier. Don’t worry about it.”
    Keith nods and sighs in relief. He was glad they only had to rest for the remainder of the day, he might actually just take the full time to sleep and pass out. Or potentially talk some with Zylas if he was still awake. Come to think of it, how much did Zylas need to sleep? So many questions.

At the mention of Coldfront having been spoken with Keith takes a deep breath before breaking into a grin.

"That's a relief. Don't wanna be on her bad side too much. Thank you, sir!" He was relatively relieved, though hoped it wouldn't impact his future meeting with her about hero topics and growing further into himself. With Ryker's description from earlier, he REALLY wasn't looking forward to it. He then thought for a moment, and pulled out his phone to send a text to Drake.

Spoiler: Text to Drake
    Show

Hey, we're at the Ashford Coffee Bar. Would you like anything while we're here?

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Keith uses his banked MASKS advance to take a move from another playbook! Takes C'Mon Lucky from The Savage Beacon!
    Sidekick to show up when not in a restaurant.
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-11-03 at 09:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

John stood and stepped up next to Sidney. “I may need your help with something,” he confided in her. “I think it will be for the best — just in case we need to establish and appropriate paper trail with AEGIS — that I have a receipt for this little get together. I know many fathers in this situation might want to wave the cost of this away, but I’d like to have all of my bases covered. Can I count on you to intervene with him to get this all rung up for me?

He looked at her and looked back at the floor. “I, um, may have an additional ulterior motive. I doubt knowing I paid for the brownies will make any difference with her father and brother, but I am feeling the instinctual need to…you know: Make certain offerings, look like I can provide…that kind of thing.

“It’s silly, I know.”

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott smiles over at Manny as he finishes boxing up the brownies for Emi and slides the over the bar to her. “Are you kidding?” he says as he pulls out the apple pie. “Tonight has been one of the best in two years.” He pulls out a slice and packages that up as well, setting it in front of Manny.

Over by the couch, Sidney nods to John. “That’s a good idea. You’re right about my papa though. He wasn’t gonna charge you for any of it. I’ll get it taken care of.” She pulls the ticket out of her apron and does a quick mental calculation, then adds the desserts that people had ordered. “With tax it comes out to 59.56. You wanna pay with cash or card?”

She smiles at John. “It is a little silly when you’re paying for a couple of brownies for someone that doesn’t really understand what money is. Clea told me about Emilia’s ‘driving around’ Porsche. Did you know that’s a 150k car? The other two cars they have are about 100k each, too. I get where you’re coming from though. Ryker always insists on paying for everything.”

Seraph glances over at Keith. “The Ice Queen isn’t someone I would willing inflict on the team.”

Keith’s phone buzzes in his hand.
    Spoiler: Text from Drake
    Show
    Sorry I missed out. I’m good. I’ll just make some coffee here
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-04 at 12:33 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee BarOver by the couch, Sidney nods to John. “That’s a good idea. You’re right about my papa though. He wasn’t gonna charge you for any of it. I’ll get it taken care of.” She pulls the ticket out of her apron and does a quick mental calculation, then adds the desserts that people had ordered. “With tax it comes out to 59.56. You wanna pay with cash or card?”

She smiles at John. “It is a little silly when you’re paying for a couple of brownies for someone that doesn’t really understand what money is. Clea told me about Emilia’s ‘driving around’ Porsche. Did you know that’s a 150k car? The other two cars they have are about 100k each, too. I get where you’re coming from though. Ryker always insists on paying for everything.”.
    John smiled as he surreptitiously handed Sidney the $100 bill he had taken from his stash in Clea in exchange for her ticket. “I’m sure there is a tip jar for the baristas here someplace. Whey don’t we quietly add the change to that? It’ll be a nice surprise for them in the morning.

“As for the car, I’m probably the wrong person to make guesses about values. The only vehicle I have ever priced was a Vespa since I was almost always able to get where I needed to go back home via public transit, whether it was when I was going to school or working as a barback.

“I have noticed with Emi, and with me since I came into my money, that not worrying about the numbers means you can focus a little more on the thought behind it rather than the figures required.” He looked Sidney in the eye. “It meant a lot to me to be able to help you with your computer needs, for example. It’ll be exciting to see what you’ll be able to do now that you have the tools you need to keep up with what you are capable of. It’s a great feeling to be able to help out with that.

He slipped into an awkward, lopsided smile. “The brownies are a different kind of thing, of course, but even there it is the thought that counts. And since it can’t be about money with the Shaws — as I am certain I cannot keep pace with those kind of finances, I am guessing that the small gestures matter all the more.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-04 at 12:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott smiles over at Manny as he finishes boxing up the brownies for Emi and slides the over the bar to her. “Are you kidding?” he says as he pulls out the apple pie. “Tonight has been one of the best in two years.” He pulls out a slice and packages that up as well, setting it in front of Manny.
    Manny smiles wide at the the wedge of pastry Slid in front of him. "I'm glad to have been a part of it. Though i can't say i exactly helped." Manny said pensively.

He had been trying to plan this whole reunion from the get go when Sidney mentioned to him back at the base that she hadn't seen her father in quite a while. John meanwhile was able to execute on this while on a date. The thought rankled him. But as much as it did, It went to prove how much John had grown since he'd last seen him. John in London was out of sorts and a bit out of element. But here, He's seems to have quickly garnered trust of his colleagues and XO. Something Manny managed to botch on contact.

Guess I'll need to grow here a bit.

Manny looks back up at Scott. "I know this is sudden and you're likely not looking for help, But I do know my way around a cafe. So if you need a New Barista or Baker, I'd be more than happy to help."

16. - Top - End - #376

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Keith smiles and nods at the bar as Scott mentions it all. They had done good work tonight, and it probably gave them all the drive needed to further investigate Vibrato. The sooner they found her, the sooner they could clear Sidney's name. At least for the kidnapping and escape. It would still take a little bit though. He agrees with Manny's assessment as well. He crossed over and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Nah, you helped plenty in getting us all organized and keeping us on track. Don't sell yourself short Manny." He then turns to Scott. "Seriously though, let us know if you need anything ok? And again, thank you for the drinks!"

Seraph glances over at Keith. “The Ice Queen isn’t someone I would willing inflict on the team.”

Keith’s phone buzzes in his hand.
    Spoiler: Text from Drake
    Show
    Sorry I missed out. I’m good. I’ll just make some coffee here
    Keith shudders a bit at Seraph's calling her the 'Ice Queen'. It was what Ryker had said earlier. At least he thought he had heard it. Even then, the glance from Seraph made Keith feel like the temperature of the air had dropped.

"Y-yes sir." He hadn't told Seraph about his uncle's homework assignment yet, and would need to eventually. "Oh r-right, sometime after patrols I may need to ask you about something my uncle mentioned earlier. It can wait though, nothing really time pressing."

He glanced down and nodded seeing the response from Drake, and typed up a quick text to send.

Spoiler: Text to Drake
    Show

No worries man, glad you managed to keep Ryker in the base. We'll be back soon.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott shakes his head at Manny’s offer. “I think I have all the help I need. We’re pretty slow during the weekdays and I have two girls that help me out already. But thank you. I’ll keep you in mind if I do need another employee.”

“Thanks again for that,” Sidney says with a sincere smile. “I’m excited to be able to actually create working programs. Hopefully I’ll be able to help you guys out soon with surveillance at least. It’s going to take me a little bit to build more Watchers though. Most of them ceased functioning while I was… ya know. I’ll probably start with a couple Scavengers to get me what I need.”

She takes the bill and slides it into her apron before heading back to the bar. “Hey, papa, did I see some chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge?”

Scott nods. “I was going to put them out tomorrow. Did you want some?”

“I was think about grabbing a few for Ryker. Would you mind getting them for me, please?”

Scott heads off into the back and Sidney quickly rings up the order and prints a receipt, placing the change in the tip jar on the bar, the slip of paper in her pocket.

Seraph looks curiously at Keith. “I should get back around 5. We can talk at six if you’re going to be up that early. Gives me a chance to get cleaned up a little.” He waits for Keith’s response before looking around the room. “Does anyone else need anything before I head out?”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-04 at 08:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee BarSeraph looks curiously at Keith. “I should get back around 5. We can talk at six if you’re going to be up that early. Gives me a chance to get cleaned up a little.” He waits for Keith’s response before looking around the room. “Does anyone else need anything before I head out?”
    “I’m glad you could join us, Seraph,” John replied, “and hope your night is quiet. Thank you for interceding with Coldfront on our behalf.”

His night was just beginning but John sensed, with regret, that his own night was winding down. Soon, they would, after giving Sidney a moment to gather any of her things she needed (an excuse for her to spend a few last moments with Mr. Ashford), leave and return her to West Side and then he would have to take Emi back to her base.

Whatever complications might await her there, at least she could recover from her efforts tonight.

Would there be questions on the way back? Small talk? Her sitting in silence as she recovered? Embarrassing noises as he rubbed her neck?

John pushed the thoughts away — along with the looming thoughts of what he would need to catch up on after he dropped her off. There was no point in accelerating towards that separation while she was standing here now. There was time still left to enjoy and revel in her company.

19. - Top - End - #379

NinjaGuy

Q&A

Quote Originally Posted by Varga
    “Leo’s probably gonna be okay,” Varga says. “They got him into surgery as soon as he got to the hospital. Once he’s out and recovered, he’ll get transferred to the Pit until he’s sentenced.”
    "Sounds like a lot work just to throw him back in the Pit if you ask me." The hero comments, relaxing a bit in his chair again. "But he's entitled to a fair trial like everyone else I suppose."

The detective glances back at his monitor again before looking back at Louis. “Anything else to add? I think I have everything I need.” If Louis is done with his report, Varga reaches out and turns off the recorder.
    Redline shakes his head. "Nothing else comes to mind Detective. The kidnapping seems like a pretty isolated incident so I doubt there's any sort of connection to other Rook activity."

“You had something else to ask, didn’t you? I’m assuming off the record?” he says after he takes a drink from a large metal coffee mug on his desk.
    "Yeah, it was about the Monte Carlo actually." He runs a hand back through his hair as he prepares his pitch to the Detective. "The kidnapping and couple of other recent emergencies really got me thinking about our joint Op's response time. Not everyone can fly or teleport but it's imperative that we all arrive on the scene as soon as possible and having a reliable vehicle could help in that regard. So I was thinking that if the car was just going to be impounded and put up for auction anyway maybe it would be possible to requisition it for hero work instead?"

20. - Top - End - #380

GreataxeFighterGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    Scott shakes his head at Manny’s offer. “I think I have all the help I need. We’re pretty slow during the weekdays and I have two girls that help me out already. But thank you. I’ll keep you in mind if I do need another employee.”

“Thanks again for that,” Sidney says with a sincere smile. “I’m excited to be able to actually create working programs. Hopefully I’ll be able to help you guys out soon with surveillance at least. It’s going to take me a little bit to build more Watchers though. Most of them ceased functioning while I was… ya know. I’ll probably start with a couple Scavengers to get me what I need.”

She takes the bill and slides it into her apron before heading back to the bar. “Hey, papa, did I see some chocolate covered strawberries in the fridge?”

“I was think about grabbing a few for Ryker. Would you mind getting them for me, please?”

Scott heads off into the back and Sidney quickly rings up the order and prints a receipt, placing the change in the tip jar on the bar, the slip of paper in her pocket.

Seraph looks curiously at Keith. “I should get back around 5. We can talk at six if you’re going to be up that early. Gives me a chance to get cleaned up a little.” He waits for Keith’s response before looking around the room. “Does anyone else need anything before I head out?”
    "I appreciate that. Hopefully business will pick back up soon." Manny says with an easy smile.

"I believe we're good here, sir. I'll make sure everyone makes it back safe." Manny says to Seraph with a nod.

"John If you and your party want to continue with your outing, I sure Me and Crowe are capable of taking everyone else back." Manny says, walking over to his friend and leaning into his ear

"Just in case you needed a bit more time, mate."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-11-05 at 07:41 AM.

21. - Top - End - #381

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar

At the rest of the conversations, Keith stood back some. There wasn't much else that needed to be said, and he nodded in agreement with Manny's response to John. Even hearing Sidney's plan for Ryker, that showed him just how much she cared for him. And that his initial thought process this afternoon talking with Ryker was correct. She would still care and love him, but needed to know the full scope of the situation. He didn't expect the breakdown to be that jarring, so he would need to adjust his advice thought processes later.

Hopefully Ryker doesn't deck me for that..... He thought to himself.

"He'll love those." Keith said with a soft smile looking back at Sidney.

At Seraph's look, Keith rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. His uncle sure wanted to give him the rough assignments, especially when his nephew may have just made that assignment a lot harder.

"I should be. Don't need as much sleep as most so will try to have coffee ready too." His conversation with Zylas would probably need to wait until tomorrow then so he could actually rest some. Even then, he hoped that Kylie would respond soon, or maybe just early enough in the morning to confirm the date plans.

She's probably just making sure Aimee gets home alright. This is sure to work!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ashford Coffee Bar
    “Thanks for the invite,” Seraph replies. “I hope it’s quiet too, but I have my doubts. I’ll be careful. See you guys in the morning.” The angel says one last goodbye to Scott as he returns from the kitchen and then takes his leave.

Yuki bows to Scott once more.

“I’ll see you and the boyfriend next Monday,” Scott says to her with a smile. “If you want you all can go out through the back. Just head through the kitchen and through the door. It’s a straight shot.”

“Thank you Mr. Ashford,” Yuki replies with another blush. “We’ll be here.” She waits for Aeryn to say his goodbyes as well before heading out to the alley through the kitchen.

“Sidney, I can take you back on Shrike,” Stella offers. “Did you want to grab anything from upstairs before we go?”

“If you don’t mind,” Sidney says. She heads upstairs, followed by her dad.

About five minutes later, she returns with a duffel bag slung over her shoulder. Her eyes are slightly wet, but she seems mostly put together. She places the box of chocolate covered strawberries carefully on the top inside her bad and then looks over at Stella. “I’m ready.”

Stella nods, and then briefly kisses Raphael. “See you back at base,” she says before she follows Sidney out through the kitchen.

Emi picks up her box of brownies and looks over at John. “Shall we?”

Louis
    Q&A

Varga thinks for a moment on the request. “I think I might be able to arrange that, if the car isn’t stolen. Have Seraph send over the requisition form and I’ll try to get it approved.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-05 at 07:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383

OldWizardGuy

Ashford Coffee BarEmi picks up her box of brownies and looks over at John. “Shall we?”
    “We’ll have to do this again sometime — or at least something like it, Mr. Ashford. Just don’t ask me when or how we will pull it off. Right now, the main goal is to get her fully healed and cleared. But Manny and I will try to think of something.”

He already had three options, although he only liked one of them. Teleporting him to the base was secure, simple, add maximized secrecy in a way meeting at the street marked did not. It did, however, threaten to destabilize Ryker’s sense of a safe space. Converting a delivery truck to a meeting location would be too much like inviting him into an upscale prison transport.

He glanced conspiratorially at Emi. “And I may try to get some help from some other superintelligent individuals I know to refine things.” He smiled at Sidney’s father again. “Good night.”

As John walked Emi back to Clea, he felt the giddiness at her presence returning. In between the double date, the call home, and the impromptu mission, this would be the first time they would be alone.

But even now, he thought as he slipped his arm around her, they would be with Clea — so not entirely alone.

Another reason, perhaps, to accelerate his North Sea project.

“I had expected we would be dropping Sidney off so I could invite you up to the roof and work out some of the kinks in your neck,” he told her. “It would have also been a comfortable space for me to answer your questions from dinner.”

And, perhaps, to learn about your father’s reaction to the Madeira.

“Is East Side our next stop or was there somewhere else you would like to go this evening?”

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “Back to East Side, I think,” Emi says as they walk back down the street to Clea. Her cheeks gain just a slight hint of color. “We could do all of that in my room, you know. My father is still out on patrol.”

Team- Back at Base, 8:12pm
    When the team arrives back at base, they find Drake and Ryker on the couch in the living room, watching Pacific Rim. Ryker is almost asleep, but the noise from people coming in is enough to rouse him.

He shakily stands, leaving the empty bottle of whiskey on the couch, as Sidney sets her bag down and gets out the dessert she’d picked up from her dad. She doesn’t look at him as he makes his way around the couch. “Sid?” he says, confused.

“I’m still mad at you,” she replies flatly. “But I’m okay. You can go back to your movie.”

“Sidney, can we talk? Please?” he asks quietly. “I have a lot I wanna say to you.”

“Sober up and we can,” she says as she makes her way to the kitchen to put the strawberries in the fridge.

Ryker watches her go, thinks for a few moments, then moves to follow her.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-05 at 08:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #385

GreataxeFighterGuy

John
    “Back to East Side, I think,” Emi says as they walk back down the street to Clea. Her cheeks gain just a slight hint of color. “We could do all of that in my room, you know. My father is still out on patrol.”

When the team arrives back at base, they find Drake and Ryker on the couch in the living room, watching Pacific Rim. Ryker is almost asleep, but the noise from people coming in is enough to rouse him.

He shakily stands, leaving the empty bottle of whiskey on the couch, as Sidney sets her bag down and gets out the dessert she’d picked up from her dad. She doesn’t look at him as he makes his way around the couch. “Sid?” he says, confused.

“I’m still mad at you,” she replies flatly. “But I’m okay. You can go back to your movie.”

“Sidney, can we talk? Please?” he asks quietly. “I have a lot I wanna say to you.”

“Sober up and we can,” she says as she makes her way to the kitchen to put the strawberries in the fridge.

Manny leans on his back against the wall and watched the interaction as he passes Manny looks at him "I'd really give that a tick, mate, If I was you. The only thing you look good for right now is a nodoff."

Manny has seen too many barflys metaphorically and literally wreck themselves to know this can end tragically for Ryker. But He's also been swung at by sed barflys for his unsolicited advice so he stands up, more ready to defend himself if it came to it.

26. - Top - End - #386

AssassinGuy

Ashford Coffee Bar
    “Thanks for the invite,” Seraph replies. “I hope it’s quiet too, but I have my doubts. I’ll be careful. See you guys in the morning.” The angel says one last goodbye to Scott as he returns from the kitchen and then takes his leave.

Yuki bows to Scott once more.

“I’ll see you and the boyfriend next Monday,” Scott says to her with a smile. “If you want you all can go out through the back. Just head through the kitchen and through the door. It’s a straight shot.”

“Thank you Mr. Ashford,” Yuki replies with another blush. “We’ll be here.” She waits for Aeryn to say his goodbyes as well before heading out to the alley through the kitchen.

“Sidney, I can take you back on Shrike,” Stella offers. “Did you want to grab anything from upstairs before we go?”

“If you don’t mind,” Sidney says. She heads upstairs, followed by her dad.

About five minutes later, she returns with a duffel bag slung over her shoulder. Her eyes are slightly wet, but she seems mostly put together. She places the box of chocolate covered strawberries carefully on the top inside her bad and then looks over at Stella. “I’m ready.”

Stella nods, and then briefly kisses Raphael. “See you back at base,” she says before she follows Sidney out through the kitchen.

Emi picks up her box of brownies and looks over at John. “Shall we?”
    Keith bows his head at Scott and goes with his suggestion. "Thank you again, sir. We'll all see ya soon!"

Keith stands back this time as he had figured Ryker would turn that anger to him if he did swing at anyone after Manny's response. He'd seen some bar brawls from when his uncle needed to gather info but hardly any of them had powers like Ryker did.

He does however wonder just how much Ryker had to put him out as loud as Pacific Rim could be.

"She does know about the concussion, at least. And while she may want it to be a surprise, she did grab you something on our way back. She loves ya man." Keith figures he'll tell Ryker about the bat incident much later.

27. - Top - End - #387

OldWizardGuy

John
    John was grateful that walking in a straight line did not require significant amounts of cognitive load as the majority of his ability to think was in a state of full collapse.

“If..if you’re comfortable with that,” John replied as he felt his own blush begin as he tried to separate the thought from what they had almost psychically overheard earlier that night from her suggestion. Things were progressing quickly between them but he was not prepared to believe they were advancing that quickly. “And you don’t think it will cause a disruption — more of a disruption at your base. I’m certainly not going to turn down the chance to spend more time with you.”

He also pushed away the threat assessment his mind was presenting. Her father’s continental telepathic range would make it child’s play for him to check in on the two of them — directly or indirectly. Grayson’s heightened senses was a factor to consider — as would Dr. Riviera’s pet demon. Those were separate from the more mundane excitement-driven desire to tell her friend about things that Kylie might be feeling.

Add to that an artificial intelligence or two that could report back on where they were and for how long, it was a minefield.

It was a minefield he would happily walk into.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Back at Base
    As Manny speaks up, Ryker’s eyes narrow. “You don’t know **** about me, or her. I’ll go talk to her if I ****in’ want to,” he growls as he glares up at the taller man.

Keith momentarily distracts him before he can keep getting worked up. “I hope so,” he mutters before he heads into the kitchen after Sidney.

Drake stands, slipping an arm around Yuki’s waist as the two of them sigh in unison. “We talked a lot while all of you were gone,” he says. “I don’t think he’s going in there to argue. He just wants to apologize.”

Spoiler: Meanwhile, In the Kitchen
    Show
    Sidney puts the strawberries away in the fridge and grabs the water pitcher from the shelf. She takes a glass from the cabinet and starts to fill it, intending on bringing it to Ryker before she went back to her room.

It was then that she feels Ryker’s hands, very softly, settle on her hips. His lips touch the side of her neck, then her shoulder. Goosebumps erupt down her arms and legs, but she manages not to make any noises that would let him know how much something simple like that affected her.

“Ryker,” Sidney says, putting a cautioning tone into her voice as she puts the pitcher on the counter.

Her warning goes unheeded. One of his hands creeps under the hem of her shirt and runs along her stomach, then makes its way higher, sending a shiver down her spine that she didn’t want to enjoy, though she did anyway.

Sidney wriggles her hips just enough to put a bit of distance between them so she could turn around. He traps her tighter against the counter as she completes the motion. His fingers skim her chin as he moves his face down to meet hers, then he was kissing her and she lost all control.

He tasted amazing, like hot cinnamon and whiskey, and his hair was soft and thick as she wound her fingers into it. His hands wrap around her thighs and he lifts her effortlessly up onto the counter. However, Sidney only allows herself this temporary loss of restraint for five long, wonderful seconds before she pulls back. “I told you, I’m still mad at you.”

“I know,” he says as he rests his head against her shoulder. His voice rumbles through her chest as he continues, “I couldn’t wait though. I was worried about you. I… wasn’t sure you were gonna come back.”

Sidney sighs as she wraps her arms around his neck, unable to actually stay upset at him when she knew all the facts. “I am sorry about leaving. I didn’t think I would lose it like that.”

Ryker shakes his head. “You didn’t do anything wrong, Sid. I did. I’m sorry.”

Sidney cups his cheek, lifting his head so he was eye to eye with her. “I’m not going to lie, Ryker. I was furious. Hurt. I couldn’t believe you’d do that to me. But…”

Ryker’s hands settle on her hips again, his fingers teasing the flesh of her back. “But?”

She took a deep breath, looking into his light green eyes that were searching hers for an answer before she replies. “I still love you. So much it hurts sometimes. You’ve always been there for me, since I met you. I couldn’t imagine not having you in my life.”

He leans forward, pressing his forehead against hers. “Sidney, I—”

Before he can finish his sentence, she shakes her head and silences him with another kiss. “Don’t say it now, while you’re drunk. I want you to remember it.”

A slow smirk spreads across his face. “I can think of a few other ways to show ya how I feel,” he says, putting a line of kisses up Sidney’s neck. “Do you need more seducing?”

Sidney smiles as she pushes him back so she can hop down off the counter. “I think I’m seduced enough,” she replies as she takes his hand and leads him down the hallway to her room.

John
    “Just for a little bit,” Emi says as her face turns a slightly brighter shade of pink. “Enough time for a neck massage and a few questions. Nothing scandalous.”

29. - Top - End - #389

OldWizardGuy

“Just for a little bit,” Emi says as her face turns a slightly brighter shade of pink. “Enough time for a neck massage and a few questions. Nothing scandalous.”
    “Of course,” John teased as he tightened his arm around her waist for a moment, hugging her briefly from the side as he hoped to employ humor to mask his nerves. “Sneaking me up to your room while your father is out. Not in the least bit scandalous.”

He took a deep breath as they approached Clea. “I am flattered that you trust me enough to extend such an invitation, Emi,” he said, opening the door for her and looking her in the eye. “I hope I always prove to be worthy of your trust and affection.”

He noted his pulse increasing and his breath speeding up slightly. My, God, he thought. She was so very beautiful and her eyes appeared to hold…affection for him? It was so hard to tell, given how his thought scattered when he looked her in the eye when he made himself vulnerable to her like this.

Even so, he would have it no other way. The loss of control was unsettling but it was more than worth it to meet her gaze as her chosen companion.

30. - Top - End - #390

AssassinGuy

Back at Base
    As Manny speaks up, Ryker’s eyes narrow. “You don’t know **** about me, or her. I’ll go talk to her if I ****in’ want to,” he growls as he glares up at the taller man.

Keith momentarily distracts him before he can keep getting worked up. “I hope so,” he mutters before he heads into the kitchen after Sidney.

Drake stands, slipping an arm around Yuki’s waist as the two of them sigh in unison. “We talked a lot while all of you were gone,” he says. “I don’t think he’s going in there to argue. He just wants to apologize.”
    Keith sighs in relief as Ryker stopped getting worked up and makes his way into the kitchen. Definitely helped dodge a bullet there. The entire situation was a mess and thankfully, for now at least, it was handled.

He turned to Drake and Yuki with a tired smile. "Yeah, think you may be right. But, he may wanna still sober up some before sayin' too much."

"Oh right, Wolf and Kenzie are all good, mission success. Forgot to update them on the KMBU tournament though but figure they'd want to watch or hear about it at least if they have the time."

He then turns to Manny. "You got time to talk a bit after some clean up? Been a long day so if not that's cool, figure best to go ahead and get ta know ya while we got time."