New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Manny
    The cop pulls out a notebook. “Just a quick rundown of what happened is all I need. Harbinger is going to send a report over later, but it’s always good to get a statement from the first person on scene if you can.”
    Manny strokes his chin for a moment. "Let's see. I was out for a little jog when I heard a guy scream out for a split second before it got muffled. I doubled back to see what had happened and there was a guy bleeding on the ground, yeah. And these 2 gangers were planning to run his pockets Before I stopped them. Dropped the one with the Red Hat and the other one ran off. I called for help because the guy was dying. And Harbinger showed and saved his life and nabbed the other one. Don't think I missed any relevant details. Oh I used my shirt to help staunch the bleeding. So, uh, sorry for my current state of undress."

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

“I like cold weather,” Emi replies. “The crispness of the air, the lights around Christmas time, snow. I like being bundled up too.”

“When is this totally surprise trip supposed to be?” Emi asks, raising one eyebrow.
    “Now if I told you that, I would not be maintaining an appropriate air of mystery,” John teased.

He paused.

“The truth is, I don’t know yet. There are several things I need to do first. But if you hated the cold, I would need to go back to the drawing board on all of it. Well, the totally unexpected, surprise trip anyway. Some of the other things I need to do will require a short jaunt or two to far off places but those trips should each last less than a half an hour to obtain some specific materials.”

He smiled broadly as he looked at her. “I’d love to see London alongside you someday or perhaps sneak you off to my flat in Geneva or walk with you in the Maine woods at the peak of the fall colors.

“The world seems new with you.”

3. - Top - End - #483

NinjaGuy

Winding Down

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    Ray meows again as Izzy stoops down to pet him. “I’m sure he did. I’ve had him since he was real little. Like three weeks old. He’s not used to me being gone for more than a day.”
    "I see." Louis smiles as he watches Ray with amusement. "He's eating it up right now."

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    “Do you mind if I shower real quick?” she asks. “I feel kinda… bleh after everything that’s happened. You can make yourself at home. I have Netflix, HBO, all that jazz, on the TV, so you can find something for us to watch while we eat.”

If Louis agrees, she’ll smile at him before closing the door to her bedroom.
    "Not at all. Even a wild rose needs water." Louis answers as he moves over to the couch. "And take your time, I've got a lot to look through. Haven't really kept up with any new movies or shows as of late." He confesses with a slight shrug.

Louis makes himself comfortable on the couch after Izzy disappears behind her bedroom door, picking up the TV remote off of the coffee table and sifting through the various streaming services she has available. He spends several minutes searching for something Izzy might enjoy, using her watch history as a point of reference, though he's still unable to land on anything he's satisfied with.

The hero sighs in annoyance and lets himself sink into the couch. However it doesn't take long for him to find humor in his predicament. It only took him the better part of an hour or two to track down someone who'd been missing for a few days, with some help, but when given his choice of media and asked to find something, anything, to watch he found himself at a loss.

His train of thought is quickly derailed by the swaying of a fluffy white tail poking above the other end of the coffee table. "Hey Ray. What'cha up to? Think you could help me pick out something to watch?" He asks, trying to coax the cat onto the couch.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny
    The cop takes notes on what Manny explains, then flips his notebook closed and slips in back in a pocket. He laughs a little at the hero’s comment about his state of dress. “I see stuff like this all the time. I can take it from here. Appreciate the help.”

Harbinger gets a little more information from the officer for his report later, then turns to Manny. “Let’s head back to base. I’ll meet you there.” The angel assists the officer by carrying the two men to the end of the alley so that EMS can get to them easier before taking off into the night sky once again.

John
    Emi’s eyes sparkle at John’s suave comment. “I’d really like that, John. Any of them.”

Her eyes grow a little distant before her cheeks flush again. “My father is asking me what you’re doing here after curfew. I suppose it’s probably time for you to head back,” she says with a note of regret in her voice. He smiles at her boyfriend, leaning forward for another kiss. “I enjoyed our night. Even everything unexpected that happened.”

Keith
    “I’m sure there were many things hidden with that dimension. I dared not touch anything with how weak I was,” Zylas says as end of his tail twitches again.

The demon’s gaze returns to Keith. “The Stones are what remains of the original High King’s soul. As far as I know, they are now just very powerful demonic artifacts. Was it Dr. Riviera that you spoke to today? Dee mentioned her earlier.”

He studies the image for a moment before it fades. “When those humans were stealing my blood, I remember seeing a woman with the tattoo of a crown on her wrist. That symbol may have been on someone else, but my consciousness was fading. I cannot say for certain that I saw it.” He pauses, remembering. “Was it on a necklace, perhaps?” he mutters before he shakes his head. “I do not know.”

5. - Top - End - #485

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    The cop takes notes on what Manny explains, then flips his notebook closed and slips in back in a pocket. He laughs a little at the hero’s comment about his state of dress. “I see stuff like this all the time. I can take it from here. Appreciate the help.”

Harbinger gets a little more information from the officer for his report later, then turns to Manny. “Let’s head back to base. I’ll meet you there.” The angel assists the officer by carrying the two men to the end of the alley so that EMS can get to them easier before taking off into the night sky once again.
    "Sure Thing." Manny says to Harbinger. Turning around and heading back to base.

Glad I decided not to run with headphones in. Would've felt bad heading back to base and ran... Ah I was going to the store.

Was.Not a good idea to walk into a store with a bloody tee on. Though it would be fun to say "Don't worry it ain't mine." to some poor cashier who's probably seen too much to enjoy it.

"Hey Harbinger Would you... " Manny Trails off after turning to speak to Him and seeing the angel already airborne. Manny lets out a sigh and jogs back to base.

His path is quiet with the occasional car passing by. His thought wander towards the weekend and the proposed meetup with Kenzie and the rest of southside. He grins at the prospect of getting to talk to her and takes flight as he approaches the base and lands on the roof, draping himself across the furniture.

"What a day." he says aloud.

6. - Top - End - #486

AssassinGuy

Keith
    “I’m sure there were many things hidden with that dimension. I dared not touch anything with how weak I was,” Zylas says as end of his tail twitches again.

The demon’s gaze returns to Keith. “The Stones are what remains of the original High King’s soul. As far as I know, they are now just very powerful demonic artifacts. Was it Dr. Riviera that you spoke to today? Dee mentioned her earlier.”

He studies the image for a moment before it fades. “When those humans were stealing my blood, I remember seeing a woman with the tattoo of a crown on her wrist. That symbol may have been on someone else, but my consciousness was fading. I cannot say for certain that I saw it.” He pauses, remembering. “Was it on a necklace, perhaps?” he mutters before he shakes his head. “I do not know.”
    Keith nodded as Zylas explained his reasoning for not touching anything. It did make sense, and if he had been attacked in such a weakened state, who knows what may have happened to him? As the stones are mentioned though, Keith leans forward so he can listen better.

"So they're remnants of his soul?" Keith's head tilted as he thought about the mention of summoning the High King earlier by their master summoner acquaintance earlier today. "Makes me wonder what you could do with them all then. Suppose it'd be best to keep them separated."

Keith nodded. "Yep, it was Dr. Riviera! I suppose he already relayed that meeting with you then. Saves a good bit of time, and she was excited at the prospect of being able to speak with you."

Soon after with the image fading and Zylas's question of the necklace, Keith lowered his gaze to the floor.

"Most would have it on a cloak or a necklace potentially. Mostly higher ranks within that organization would have it worn as jewelry." His eyes narrowed a bit. "Some of the more fanatical followers get a tattoo on their forehead, symbolizing a corruption of the third eye. I'm really hoping they aren't involved in this, but if they are...." Keith shudders a bit.

He returns his gaze back to Zylas. "If they are, then my hunt for the Magatsuhi Empire might be a bit easier. Their leader right now, is the one who took everything from me. I've never heard of him working with many forces outside of what he could control but desperate times might call for desperate measures on their part."

7. - Top - End - #487

OldWizardGuy

Emi’s eyes sparkle at John’s suave comment. “I’d really like that, John. Any of them.”

Her eyes grow a little distant before her cheeks flush again. “My father is asking me what you’re doing here after curfew. I suppose it’s probably time for you to head back,” she says with a note of regret in her voice. He smiles at her boyfriend, leaning forward for another kiss. “I enjoyed our night. Even everything unexpected that happened.”
    John smiled as he leaned in to Emi’s kiss. “I feel like a sixteen year old who’s been caught not doing anything with his girlfriend.

“I’m glad you enjoyed yourself — in spite of it all,” he said standing but still holding her hands. “We may have just dodged a more than embarrassing moment, though. Imagine if we had continued on and your father checked in. We’d have made both his eyebrows go up before he came back to kill me.”

“While I’m certain most men would call me an idiot for not continuing on, I’m your idiot…. Wait, let me try that again.”

John looked to the side and furrowed his brow. “No, perhaps I shouldn’t. I suspect I would only make it worse. Let’s just leave it as me being your whatever it is I am.”

He looked down at her, his heart full to bursting. He felt his mouth start to move.

He almost said that he loved her.

He wanted to.

He felt it in every fiber of his being.

He hoped she sensed it, at least. Even if it was still too early to say.

“I’ll go before our Team Leads form an AEGIS-Myriad Joint Operations Task Force to chide me for breaking two organizational curfews.

“Will you see me out or should I try sneaking out on my own?” John asked playfully.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-10 at 01:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    At the sound of his name, Ray’s tail twitches before disappearing under the coffee table. He emerges from the side closest to Louis with something bright yellow in his mouth. The cat jumps on the couch and drops a catnip filled banana, probably half the size of the real thing, on the cushions next to Louis’ leg.

He touches it with his paw a few times before looking up at Louis with unblinking yellow-green eyes.

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Izzy has a last generation console hooked up to the TV. There’s a few games on the bottom shelf of the TV stand that include a few older Fast or Lasts, Shadow of the Goliath, Jax and Dexter, and Last Legend 7 and 8.

Manny
    A minute or two after Manny takes a seat, Harbinger lands on the roof. The older angel runs a hand through his hair and across the back of his neck before he spots Manny on the couch under the umbrella.

“Didn’t expect to see anyone up here. You okay?” he asks gruffly.

Keith
    “Just one can fuel powerful spells,” Zylas says. “Something that would take all of my power when I’m at full strength and probably all of my older brother’s as well to complete.”

The demon gives Keith a slight smile. “Dee said that she may come tomorrow to talk with me. I’m looking forward to meeting her.”

“Magatsuhi…” he says quietly. “I feel like my sister has mentioned them before.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-10 at 05:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489

AssassinGuy

Keith
    “Just one can fuel powerful spells,” Zylas says. “Something that would take all of my power when I’m at full strength and probably all of my older brother’s as well to complete.”

The demon gives Keith a slight smile. “Dee said that she may come tomorrow to talk with me. I’m looking forward to meeting her.”

“Magatsuhi…” he says quietly. “I feel like my sister has mentioned them before.”
    Keith nods as he listens to the immense power of just one stone. Their enemy seemed to want all of them. If they moved to meet each other every so often, then he only would need to wait. And they had no idea how many were left in the open.

"I see. I think there was someone who wanted to use them for a mass summoning at one point, but the fact that the normal version of the spell would take you and your older brother's power combined....." Keith shuddered for a moment. "Can only imagine what our enemy may want them for."

Keith smiles as well as Zylas mentioned his looking forward to the conversation. It would definitely be something of a good change for him.

"I figure Dee and Seraph at least will want to be here for that, but I know it'll be a riveting conversation. I hope she comes by as well." Keith was interested in seeing how the conversation would go, but he also figured it may just be team leaders and occult experts. Nothing he would be able to fully understand.

He did however hope that he wouldn't have to see some of his former teammates. Right now, he was more concerned with if he would have to see Kylie tomorrow. He would love to, but with the time between his first text and now, it would be awkward if she hadn't seen it. Or if she had changed her mind about the entire date altogether. Maybe he shouldn't have told her to begin with. Come to think of it, he did wonder if they had a replacement coming for his spot on the team. Hopefully they would fit in better than he had.

As Zylas mentions the Empire quietly and that his sister had talked about them, Keith felt his eyes start to change. He forced back the darkness encroaching on his sclera while he was talking with Zylas, but having strained it before, he couldn't fully keep it contained.

"I..... can I trust you with something? If she has mentioned them before, then you should know the truth about them. I will also apologize, if her contract works with them, we may be crossing paths at some point."

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    As Emi starts to answer, there’s a quiet knock at the door. She glances at John before going to answer it.

John spots Grayson through the opening of the door, but the other hero is too fixated on Emi to notice him. Grayson slides his headphones down around his neck as Emi closes the door behind her.

Spoiler: Notice TN 8
    Show
    It’s not hard for John to hear them through the door. He can almost see the two of them conversing in his mind's eye.

As Emi steps out into the hallway, Grayson can’t help but glance down at her legs. It wasn’t often she wore shorts that were that revealing. Most of the time she was usually in a modest dress or jeans. He swallows as he pulls his headphones down and hangs them around his neck, refocusing his attention back up to meet her gaze.

“H-hi, Emi,” he says. “I just wanted to come ch-check on you. I umm… tried to talk to you after Nora told me you were home and you d-didn’t answer. I was just a little worried after what you h-had me look up earlier. Did you overuse your powers?” he asks with a moderate amount of concern.

Emi smiles gently at him. “I’m sorry I didn’t answer. Yes, I ended up straining myself tonight, but it wasn’t about anything you helped us with earlier.”

“Do you need me to r-rub the back of your neck?” he asks. He pulls his bandaged hands out of his jacket pockets. “I cut my nails, so I won’t scratch you. And my hands are nice and cold,” he says, with a quick smile.

“I’m feeling better now, Grayson,” Emi replies hastily. “Thank you though. How are your hands?” she asks, looking down at them.

Grayson hides them back in his pockets. “They’re fine. Thanks f-for helping me wrap them up earlier.”

“I’m always glad to help if you need it,” Emi says warmly.

The back of Grayson’s neck and ears flush. “Oh yeah, did you still need me to help you with your cal-calculus homework? I don’t mind teaching you.”

She nods with a wide smile. “That would be brilliant. Can I meet you in your room in ten?”

“Yeah, that’s fine,” he answers. “I’m gonna go grab something to drink. Do you w-want anything?”

“I’ll just take some water, please. Thank you, Grayson.”

He smiles at her, slipping his headphones back over his ears as he heads down the hallway to the kitchen.

Emi returns to her room, looking up at John. “Just Grayson. I was a little afraid it was my father,” she says with a small grin. “I can walk you out.”

Keith
    Zylas watches Keith’s eyes change curiously. “It depends on what you wish to trust me with. It’s surprising that you would, considering what I am.”

11. - Top - End - #491

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    A minute or two after Manny takes a seat, Harbinger lands on the roof. The older angel runs a hand through his hair and across the back of his neck before he spots Manny on the couch under the umbrella.

“Didn’t expect to see anyone up here. You okay?” he asks gruffly.
    "Absolutely. Just been a long day and I think I rankled your nephew earlier. I meant to ask you to grab some beers but you soared off into the night before i could and to be honest, it may come off strange seeing an angel with a couple of 6-packs." Manny says, sitting a bit more upright.

There was a lot he wanted ask Harbinger. A lot more now that he felt less comfortable asking Seraph. About everything going on: The Demons, The Demon, All the team members at least one in particular. If there was a tailor in town. A good pub. a place to collect your thoughts unbothered. All these and more swirled in his head before he takes a deep breath and lets out a long sigh.

"You doing alright?"

12. - Top - End - #492

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Zylas watches Keith’s eyes change curiously. “It depends on what you wish to trust me with. It’s surprising that you would, considering what I am.”
    Keith nods and takes a couple deep breaths. He needed to steady himself because it very well could be that Zylas and his sister could be in the middle of his war.

"If it helps at all, Dee and Seraph both know this. I'm trying to dismantle them. I want to see the Magatsuhi Empire fall into ruin and decay. When I told you everything was taken from me, it was because my uncle was working under cover to destroy them. He turned himself against his brother, and his family because he saw the group for what it was. A source of corruptive magic that strayed from it's founder's ideals of guiding the world in shadow."

Keith looks up at Zylas. "My biological father, who as far as I'm concerned isn't even family, is the current emperor. He killed my mom, and has tried to kill me ever since. I will never forgive him...." Keith feels his shadow start to creep up around the room and expand from where it was, and reigns it back in.

"C'mon, we know they're workin' with them...... Just go cut them down! Fuel that fire yourself and take your rightful place!" The cackling continued as White taunted and tempted Keith to go out on his hunt.

He shook his head to clear his mind.

"I'm trusting you with this, because I have to work with the possibility that they are involved." Keith huffs a laugh. "True, it's a bit surprising. But I'd feel better with that being told to you through me rather than it comin' up at a more inconvenient time. I have a feelin' that some here would treat me about the same way when they do eventually find out."

"That, and I feel like you should know. If there is the chance that your sister has a contract with someone in their ranks, then I need you to know at least that much." Keith relaxes a bit as he feels his eyes start to change back slowly.

"Apologies, I should have a better handle on my emotions than that. I want to restore some form of order, since their goal is complete and utter chaos." Keith smiles softly, and then his expression turns solemn. "I do hope this hasn't changed your opinion of me though."

13. - Top - End - #493

OldWizardGuy

John
    As Emi starts to answer, there’s a quiet knock at the door. She glances at John before going to answer it.

John spots Grayson through the opening of the door, but the other hero is too fixated on Emi to notice him. Grayson slides his headphones down around his neck as Emi closes the door behind her.

Show
    It’s not hard for John to hear them through the door. He can almost see the two of them conversing in his mind's eye.

As Emi steps out into the hallway, Grayson can’t help but glance down at her legs. It wasn’t often she wore shorts that were that revealing. Most of the time she was usually in a modest dress or jeans. He swallows as he pulls his headphones down and hangs them around his neck, refocusing his attention back up to meet her gaze.

“H-hi, Emi,” he says. “I just wanted to come ch-check on you. I umm… tried to talk to you after Nora told me you were home and you d-didn’t answer. I was just a little worried after what you h-had me look up earlier. Did you overuse your powers?” he asks with a moderate amount of concern.

Emi smiles gently at him. “I’m sorry I didn’t answer. Yes, I ended up straining myself tonight, but it wasn’t about anything you helped us with earlier.”

“Do you need me to r-rub the back of your neck?” he asks. He pulls his bandaged hands out of his jacket pockets. “I cut my nails, so I won’t scratch you. And my hands are nice and cold,” he says, with a quick smile.

“I’m feeling better now, Grayson,” Emi replies hastily. “Thank you though. How are your hands?” she asks, looking down at them.

Grayson hides them back in his pockets. “They’re fine. Thanks f-for helping me wrap them up earlier.”

“I’m always glad to help if you need it,” Emi says warmly.

The back of Grayson’s neck and ears flush. “Oh yeah, did you still need me to help you with your cal-calculus homework? I don’t mind teaching you.”

She nods with a wide smile. “That would be brilliant. Can I meet you in your room in ten?”

“Yeah, that’s fine,” he answers. “I’m gonna go grab something to drink. Do you w-want anything?”

“I’ll just take some water, please. Thank you, Grayson.”

He smiles at her, slipping his headphones back over his ears as he heads down the hallway to the kitchen.
    Spoiler: Dragon….
    Show
    Notice Roll regarding the dragon: 1d10o10+4 16 1d6o6+4 6

John could feel all his senses stretching as the center of his forehead tingled. Closing his eyes, he watched the scene play out in his mind’s eye — unable to be sure if he was tapping into his extra sensory perceptions or if his imagination and memory were filling in the gaps.

He tried to keep his breathing steady as he alternated between insecurity, outrage, jealousy, and possessiveness.

He tried to remind himself that he was trying to help the two of them remain friends. He should be glad that they had begun to bridge that gap.

It would be entirely normal for her to have checked on Grayson if Kylie was unavailable and was equally likely that she was the one who told Emi about his condition after he left to face the Master Summoner.

He tried to remind himself that she and Grayson had been friends for a while and that Emi had told him earlier that he was one there were a few outside her family who knew about the way she lost her powers and how to help her.

The cool hands statement was more difficult to get past.

He reminded himself that he was not in a position to criticize Grayson for looking at her legs. He had been doing so on and off all night.

Those things he could at least pretend to accept.

The calculus help, however, went too far. Grayson might be an Astrophysics major and required to know calculus but he was the math major. He was the one who could calculate multidimensional models and marry them to magical theories unimagined by some of the most powerful mages in history.

Grayson might hold the high ground in the arts but John would be damned before he surrendered mathematics to him.

The higher order parts of his brain, he noted, were simultaneously pointing out that mathematics was an odd hill to choose to die on and moving “Research Dragonslayers” up his to-do list.

An image of the spear from the 80s film he and his friends had on in the background one night appeared in his mind. Unlike the apprentice in that film, it would appear fully forged, its blade sheathed in fire should he need to summon it.

He looked down. He was rubbing the back of his left hand again.

He forced the anger and frustration down. He had made the correct choices this evening. Now was not the time to spoil it by lashing out.

His eyes darted to the music in her journal and the picture on her board. A copy of the picture from Sunday had not made it up there yet.

He reached up to button his top button and fixed his collar. There was no need to raise questions, should they bump into anyone.

Emi returns to her room, looking up at John. “Just Grayson. I was a little afraid it was my father,” she says with a small grin. “I can walk you out.”
    “So I heard,” he replied quietly, mentally calculating the distance to the garage. “Well, and saw when you opened the door. I’m glad the two of you are still able to be friends.”

“I couldn’t help overhearing,” he added, looking down. “At the risk of sounding petty or any number of other things, I know a thing or two about math, should further need arise — although I am surprised they don’t have you taking stats or something that focuses on SPSS.”

He quickly but quietly continued. Grayson may have been wearing headphones but his senses remained acute . “Ten minutes doesn’t leave much time for you to get to the garage and back. Are you sure you can make it or should we say good night here? I wouldn’t want to make things complicated for you.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-10 at 09:24 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny
    “Fine,” Harbinger replies as he leans up against the lip of the roof. “I feel better than I have in a while, actually.”

He huffs a laugh. “What’d you do to get under Seraph’s skin? He doesn’t get mad easily.”

Keith
    Zylas watches and listens with interest. “I truly hope that my sister does not have a contract with anyone in your father’s organization, but I do not know.”

Show
    He says nothing about Keith’s veiled threat to his sister, though his tail twitches once before it stills.

John
    Emi tilts her head at John’s reaction. “I know you’re a math major, but I don’t particularly like Calculus. I don’t want to spend my time with you frustrated when I don’t understand something. Math has never been something I’m good at. That, and this homework is due tomorrow and you’re about to leave.”

“John, are you… okay?” she asks, her brow furrowing. “If something I said to Grayson upset you, please let me know. He’s only trying to help me.”

15. - Top - End - #495

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Zylas watches and listens with interest. “I truly hope that my sister does not have a contract with anyone in your father’s organization, but I do not know.”

Show
    He says nothing about Keith’s veiled threat to his sister, though his tail twitches once before it stills.
    Keith smiles softly, though his tone still semi-serious. At least for the first statement.

Spoiler: Well, that was not entirely my intention
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 13 1d6o6+2 4

"I hope she doesn't too." Keith shakes his head and then looks at Zylas. His tone is softened for the next part of his thoughts. "I do however owe you an apology. I wasn't meaning that your sister would be in my sights for having a contract there. I'd rather not fight against a woman if I can help it. Much less so a family member to someone I've shared my secret with."

Keith bows to Zylas, as an apologetic gesture. "Please, forgive my rashness. I did not mean to say that as a threat, though it seems my emotions have gotten further carried away." He straightens up.

"Much like I said before, I'd prefer to see the two of you reunited. Far be it from me to do anything to imped that." Keith knew he had phrased it all completely wrong. It wasn't his plan to ever attack someone innocent, well by Empire standards at least, just to get his revenge.

"What would you like to discuss? Or is there something that you would like me to do?"

Spoiler: Pierce the Mask!
    Show

Pierce the Mask: 2d6 4
    Keith marks Potential on Miss.

16. - Top - End - #496

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    “Fine,” Harbinger replies as he leans up against the lip of the roof. “I feel better than I have in a while, actually.”

He huffs a laugh. “What’d you do to get under Seraph’s skin? He doesn’t get mad easily.”
    "Oh not much. Just called his leadership and judgement into question by asking some who's mind was shattered to get a moment's respite and be allowed to spend the night with her family and sleep in her own bed, citing that he's already had to deal with grieving parents with my predecessor being KIA and his AI being faulty. It was an excellent demonstration of my ability to piss off even a divine being." Manny says, shaking his head. And replaying the argument in his head. Like he's done hundred's of times about his argument with Sarah.

"He said I've never had to protect anyone from myself or themselves and there was a split second where I thought about-- nevermind. That is both a destructive and unproductive line of thinking. Needless to say, I fear I've squandered my initial attempt at engendering a positive work perception of myself to him. My argumentative and occasionally tempestuous nature may work well in some arenas, but team cohesion doesn't seem to be one for it to thrive."

Manny walks over and stands beside Harbinger at the lip of the roof. He Looks out at the night sky as it starts to get overcast.

"I came here for a fresh start but I think I'm just brining the storm with me."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-11-11 at 12:41 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497

OldWizardGuy

John
    Emi tilts her head at John’s reaction. “I know you’re a math major, but I don’t particularly like Calculus. I don’t want to spend my time with you frustrated when I don’t understand something. Math has never been something I’m good at. That, and this homework is due tomorrow and you’re about to leave.”

“John, are you… okay?” she asks, her brow furrowing. “If something I said to Grayson upset you, please let me know. He’s only trying to help me.”
    “That makes me doubly glad I did not broach the topic of the dubious joys of going over the books at dinner tonight,” John joked lamely.

“It’s nothing, Emi,” he said shaking his head. “Your new boyfriend is just a little jealous of an old friend who you get to spend some time with as he is being required to leave by your father — and Seraph, although my curfew’s deadline is a little fuzzier there. That’s all.”

Well, maybe not entirely all.

“And while I suspect his motives may not be purely about just wanting to help, I am glad that you have Grayson as a friend and that that friendship will continue.” John took a deep breath. “And that he is here to help with things like homework and…your recovery at times when I might not be available— or wasn’t because you didn’t know I even existed….”

He glanced at Emi.

“Okay, that last bit may have come across a little stronger than I meant. I was referring to a time, like the one in the picture, before we had been introduced.”

When the two of you were friends and you were waiting for him to ask you out and how he might yet….

“Sorry,” he offered quietly. “I’m a little off balance emotionally right now, it seems and it’s magnifying that little possessive feeling we mentioned at dinner a bit more than it should and it is exaggerating my envy of the time he will have with you that I will not.”

He stepped up to her and smiled sheepishly as he took her hand and led her towards the door.

“I’m not proud of it and I am certainly not going to ask you to change your behavior over a silly ongoing bout of insecurity on my part,” He smiled at her mischievously. “I mean, he’s only a dragon musician with a cooler major than I have who has a strong emotional attachment to my wonderful and physically distracting girlfriend. What about that could be worrisome?”

John listened at the door. “Can you sense if the coast is clear or should I do the teleportation thing?”

Spoiler: Is the Coast Clear?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny
    “Ah,” Harbinger says as he glances over at Manny. “Something like that might upset him. Just a little. I wouldn’t worry too much though,” the angel assures him. “He’s pretty forgiving. Comes with the wings.”

“I gotta ask though, what was it that you thought about when he said that?” Harbinger asks. “Just curious.”

Keith
    The demon inclines his head at Keith’s apology and once again relaxes, leaning back into the futon. “Not currently. I have much I need to think about.”

John
    Emi sighs as John takes her hands. “You don’t need to worry about me doing anything improper with him, you know. Nor do I think you need to worry about him. But we are still friends and teammates. I’ve been hanging out with him like this for over a year. I don’t want to be one of those people that cuts someone out of their life just because they started dating someone else.”

“I do realize that I… have a soft spot for him. I’m not going to deny that or lie to you about it,” Emi says quietly. She looks up, meeting his gaze. “But remember, I chose you, John.”

She focuses her attention to the hallway, but shakes her head. “I haven’t recovered enough. Doing what I did with Sidney, without my father’s assistance, really drained me.”

John doesn’t hear anyone in the hallway.

19. - Top - End - #499

OldWizardGuy

Emi sighs as John takes her hands. “You don’t need to worry about me doing anything improper with him, you know. Nor do I think you need to worry about him. But we are still friends and teammates. I’ve been hanging out with him like this for over a year. I don’t want to be one of those people that cuts someone out of their life just because they started dating someone else.”

“I do realize that I… have a soft spot for him. I’m not going to deny that or lie to you about it,” Emi says quietly. She looks up, meeting his gaze. “But remember, I chose you, John.”

She focuses her attention to the hallway, but shakes her head. “I haven’t recovered enough. Doing what I did with Sidney, without my father’s assistance, really drained me.”

John doesn’t hear anyone in the hallway.
    “I’m not worried about you,” John replied, turning to Emi. “And I worry about him only insofar as it will cause you discomfort if and when he…. Sorry, that is uncharitable. If he were to try and make his case.

“And I am glad you have him as a friend,” he said sincerely, “and I do want that friendship to continue and I look forward to the day I can count Grayson as a friend of mine. It’s an adjustment for all three of us and it will take time for us to settle into things. The only thing I ask is that you be patient with me in those moments when I am…feeling less certain of my position than I know I should be.

“You are an extraordinary woman, Emi,” he tried to explain. “Yes, you chose me. That doesn’t mean I got to choose you, though. I presented myself and, by some miracle I do not understand, found myself here. With you. And I want to keep it that way.

“It doesn’t make our relationship any less a partnership of equals for me to acknowledge that,” he added quickly. “It’s just the framework I am coming from and why I sometimes get a little jumpy.”

Because nothing is stopping you from choosing someone else.

He looked at Emi and smiled. “You shouldn’t worry about it,” he tried assuring her, “although it does my heart good to feel your concern for me. It’s just a bit of garden variety jealousy that says nothing about you or Grayson and everything about me.”

“I’ll get it under control,” he said, trying to project more confidence in that pronouncement than he felt.

John opened the door and peeked out into the hallway.
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-11-11 at 11:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Tit for Tat:

"Oh. Well, I still think it works as an example." Raphael says.

Raphael makes a show of looking up and away and whistling innocently at Stella's accusation of taking their first brawl too seriously.

He whips back around to face her when she hisses. "Are you...." The question dies on his suddenly dry lips.

It's the same. The scent permeates the room and Raphael is back in Feris' parlor. Cassie's blood is on his tongue, vibrant and alive. Fireworks in his mind and dancing on his tongue, a fizzing, dancing sensation on his brain.

Is this what it was like?

Is this what it's always like?

His stomach soured at the thought of returning to that drawer in the fridge full of plastic bags and plastic blood.

If it was just Cassie, he'd could write it off. A spell, or something Feris had done to her, a genetic anomaly... something.

But if that were true, I'd be able to tell.
    He knows he is more in tune with Life and Existence than a regular vampire.

I have to know.

Raphael swallows hard, forcing himself back into the moment. He takes her hand and scoops the drop of blood off her finger with his own.

"Now why would you do a thing like that to yourself, hm?" He says with feigned lightheartedness and empty confidence. A slight tremble in his voice.

He touches his finger to his tongue, offering Stella a playful wink.

I'll get Feris for this if it's the last thing I do.

21. - Top - End - #501

AssassinGuy

Keith
    The demon inclines his head at Keith’s apology and once again relaxes, leaning back into the futon. “Not currently. I have much I need to think about.”
    Keith nods and stands, taking a short bow. He didn't want to push his luck too much at this time so he would go and set aside a few books as he could, and maybe head down to the gym for a bit.

"In that case, I'll stop before my foot goes into my mouth once more." Keith looks at Zylas and smiles. "For what it's worth, you've given me a great deal to think about through our conversations today. I'm going to grab a few books from the library to set aside for you as well."

Keith moves towards the door and stops short. "Thank you, for letting me trust you, and I do mean it. I will make sure there is a reunion. Have a good evening, Prince Zylas."

When Keith leaves the room, he first makes his way over to the library to find various history books that may be of interest. Mostly just general history as that could be more useful. After finding about 3 different books, he left to deliver the books, and then made his way to the gym.

It was past curfew, and most everyone would be exhausted by this time so he had no idea who else he could talk to today before getting some rest. He found himself making use of the punching bag rather than following most of Ryker's instruction this time. Mostly due to his own being exhausted, and his focus was torn.

As each blow landed on the bag, he thoughts went to what response he might get. Then to why he had told Zylas about his father in the first place? The sound of the sandbag taking each hit drowned out hit thoughts momentarily, but they crept back up.

"Am I even good enough to be here?" He began to think aloud as each punch landed again and again. He was grateful that the gym was empty at the moment, just him and his thoughts. Though it would be nice for someone to say he was worthy of being among the others.

"What use do they have for someone that can't even hide properly?!" He was more angry at himself than anything. While it had worked out for the best, he still thought about just how badly it could have gone. Don E. would have ripped him a new one for such a rookie mistake.

His punches started getting faster. They're coming, I can feel it.... I know the Empire is going to come back around here soon! At the thought he lost what little control he had and his fist was unconsciously enveloped in darkness, knocked the punching bag back as the collided.

Keith fell backwards from his own exhaustion today trying to catch his breath. He wasn't ready to face them again. Not after the last time, and definitely not when the vast majority of the team didn't know what would be coming. His hope was for the focus to be on him when the strike did happen.

"Before anyone else, I have to tell Louis...... I have to make this right.........." Keith said while lying on the gym floor.

22. - Top - End - #502

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    “Ah,” Harbinger says as he glances over at Manny. “Something like that might upset him. Just a little. I wouldn’t worry too much though,” the angel assures him. “He’s pretty forgiving. Comes with the wings.”

“I gotta ask though, what was it that you thought about when he said that?” Harbinger asks. “Just curious.”
    Manny takes in another deep breath before sighing again.

"It's a-- thing I noticed after I got cursed. I've become more susceptible to people's provocations. I've worked in modeling and film for years as a child and teen and through most of that I was the coolest one in the room. Never let egotistical directors, ridiculously possessive fans, or greedy scumbag agents ever keep me away from staying level-headed and smooth." Manny says beginning to pace as the sky darkens around him.

Since I was cursed, I feel like I've barely been in control. I feel compelled to rise to even then most tame of provocations. It-- scares me to be quite honest. I've hurt people physically and emotionally. And I thought joining AEGIS would help or at least let me outlet some of this, but as my control of some powers grow so does the well of power I can draw from. I feel like there's no end to the devastation I could cause if pushed to do so and I'm constantly trying to prevent cataclysmic destruction but everyone seems to think I'm just some pretty boy who's out of his depth. And what's worse is when they treat my comrades poorly because of my notoriety or looks. Bern- Agent Wilfork has stopped me several times from losing it on some idiot like the one in the sewer tonight who had the ****ing stones to complain about Wolf and Yuki's looks Mid-****ing-rescue." Manny says, The ending punctuated with a peal of thunder. He plops back down on the chair and runs his hands through his hair.

"It's part of the reason I've been searching the bottom of bottles a lot more recently. I'd rather not think about things and this seems a harmless enough way."

Spoiler: OOC MASKS stuff!
    Show
    Manny is sharing a Vulnerability with Harbinger. At DMs Discretion Manny will give influence to Harbinger to clear a condition. If he already has influence he may Shift Labels.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-11-11 at 05:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #503

NinjaGuy

At the sound of his name, RayÂ’s tail twitches before disappearing under the coffee table. He emerges from the side closest to Louis with something bright yellow in his mouth. The cat jumps on the couch and drops a catnip filled banana, probably half the size of the real thing, on the cushions next to LouisÂ’ leg.

He touches it with his paw a few times before looking up at Louis with unblinking yellow-green eyes.
    "You actually responded to your name? And you play fetch apparently?" He asks, casting a glance down at the banana before looking back up to meet the cat's eyes. "I'm impressed." Louis smiles.

"Here, a toss for your efforts." He says as he picks up the toy and casts it across the apartment. Louis lets his eyes wander around the room as he waits for Ray to make his way back, though they quickly come to a stop when he spots a nostalgic sight.

Spoiler: Notice
    Show
    6 + 2 (Perception) = 8

Izzy has a last generation console hooked up to the TV. ThereÂ’s a few games on the bottom shelf of the TV stand that include a few older Fast or Lasts, Shadow of the Goliath, Jax and Dexter, and Last Legend 7 and 8.
    "No way..." Louis says to himself in slight disbelief. "I haven't seen some of these in years." He tilts his head upon reading the last two titles. What's Last Legend?

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Raphael
    As he puts his finger to his tongue, he tastes the same fireworks from before. Stella’s blood is more spicy than sweet, but it reminds him strongly of Cassie’s. All too soon he swallows and the taste fades, leaving only the memory.

He remembers when his parents had taught him to feed at a young age. The blood he’d had then, even straight from the carotid, was nothing like this. While satisfying, it wasn’t as intense a taste or experience as what he’d had with Cassie or Stella’s blood. Just a drop was more pleasurable than any of the other fresh blood he’d had.

Raphael can hear Stella’s pulse quicken as he takes her hand and puts his finger to his mouth. She carefully searches his face while she waits for his reaction.

Spoiler: Notice TN 4
    Show
    Raphael can see no fear in her eyes.

Manny
    “I can tell you from experience that nothing good comes from trying to drink your pain away,” Harbinger says, looking away. “Just give it time. I know Wolf doesn’t care what people think about him. He processes stuff like that differently. But I know it hurts Yuki. I would’ve said something to that guy too.”

“How long ago did you get cursed anyway?” the angel asks.

Keith
    Keith hears heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. “Uhmm… you okay, Keith?” Drake’s voice asks as he gets closer.

John
    Going out into the hallway, John doesn’t spot any other East Side team members. The two of them make their way to the garage without incident.

Emi seems lost in thought. Her eyes are a little distant as they descend the stairs, but she soon returns to reality as they stand in front of Clea.

“Goodnight John,” she says, taking his hands in hers. “I’m sorry our night had to end on a lower note.”

Louis
    Ray goes bounding after his toy and pounces on it, then quickly trots back to Louis, dropping the banana at his feet.

“Oh, he brought you The Banana,” Izzy says as she opens her door. She’s dressed in some gray yoga capris and a blue cut off Briarwood t-shirt that isn’t quite long enough to cover her midriff. Louis spots a bright silver belly button piercing against her caramel skin as she crosses the room and sits on the couch at the end closest to the wall. “He must like you.”

Ray meows and dashes over to Izzy, jumping up on the couch before settling behind her head on the couch cushion, where there’s a noticeable dent.

“Didn’t find anything for us to watch, hmm?” she asks as she reaches up to pet her cat. “Also, sorry about the shirt. I kinda missed laundry day.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-11 at 03:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #505

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Keith hears heavy footsteps coming down the stairs. “Uhmm… you okay, Keith?” Drake’s voice asks as he gets closer.
    Keith's ragged breathing near about stops as he gasps realizing someone may have heard everything. Hearing it was Drake, he sighed a bit and raised himself up to a sitting position on the floor.

"Drake? He called back. "Uhh..... sorta kinda not really. Think everything's just finally hitting a boiling point or somethin'."

When Drake gets closer into view, Keith turns to look at him.

"Didn't mean to disturb ya. Just a few....." He couldn't quite keep it down now. "Well, a lot of junk playing around in my head. Stuff from old missions, stuff from today. Family drama."

Keith glanced back at the punching bag for a moment before looking back at Drake.

"Something that was said before from a friend at East Side is playing in my head too. Doesn't entirely apply to me but, it made me think about a few things too much."

Keith felt a lump in his throat where the next words were trying to come out.

"Drake, do you think that we're in charge of our own destiny?"

26. - Top - End - #506

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    “I can tell you from experience that nothing good comes from trying to drink your pain away,” Harbinger says, looking away. “Just give it time. I know Wolf doesn’t care what people think about him. He processes stuff like that differently. But I know it hurts Yuki. I would’ve said something to that guy too.”

“How long ago did you get cursed anyway?” the angel asks.
    "It was about 7 years ago. I was on holiday and decided to visit Dad at a dig site. While i was there I had seen a strange bird, and when i told my father about it they thought the site was cursed under the protection of Impudulu, the Lightning Bird. They told me to stay out of the camp but my father came and brought me to stay in his tent. That night I dreamt I saw the bird again but it look panicked and unable to fly. I reached out for and awoke to giant clap of thunder. My father was unconscious. Having been struck by lightning he was-- blinded. He says it was a freak accident but my power had started to manifest right after and I knew that it was me that caused the storm and the lightning. I've been trying to deal with this and fix my fathers sight ever since." Manny says, guilt clinging to his words.

"**** mate, I did not want to drag this back up." Manny says quietly as rain begins to gently fall.

27. - Top - End - #507

OldWizardGuy

John
    Going out into the hallway, John doesn’t spot any other East Side team members. The two of them make their way to the garage without incident.

Emi seems lost in thought. Her eyes are a little distant as they descend the stairs, but she soon returns to reality as they stand in front of Clea.

“Goodnight John,” she says, taking his hands in hers. “I’m sorry our night had to end on a lower note.”
    “I’m the one to bear the blame for that, Emi,” John confessed, looking her in the eye — knowing the risks inherent in doing so. “I am sorry and I will try to figure out a way grow up a little more before we meet again.

He wanted to tell her that, in spite of his fit of jealousy and possessiveness, it wasn’t his intent, desire, or need to have her choose between them. He wanted them to be friends. He wanted nothing — with the exception of… Well, there were a few exceptions and he suspected they would be somewhat disruptive for Grayson and his hopes.

“I hope you aren’t too disappointed in me,” he said surprisingly quietly.

He didn’t understand.

He had done everything right.

He took a deep breath.

Sometimes, doing the right thing was painful. Sometimes, confronting the truth was painful.

“Lunch later this week? I suspect it is too soon for you to have learned the Vivaldi piece but I still need to present my credentials at Bastion. I’d look forward to the trip more if I knew I was going to see you while I was there.”

28. - Top - End - #508

NinjaGuy

Ray goes bounding after his toy and pounces on it, then quickly trots back to Louis, dropping the banana at his feet.

“Oh, he brought you The Banana,” Izzy says as she opens her door. She’s dressed in some gray yoga capris and a blue cut off Briarwood t-shirt that isn’t quite long enough to cover her midriff. Louis spots a bright silver belly button piercing against her caramel skin as she crosses the room and sits on the couch at the end closest to the wall. “He must like you.”

Ray meows and dashes over to Izzy, jumping up on the couch before settling behind her head on the couch cushion, where there’s a noticeable dent.
    "You think so?" Louis asks, a glint of silver catching his eye as Izzy walks across the room to join him on the couch. "I thought he was just trying to get me to put on the show he asked for."

“Didn’t find anything for us to watch, hmm?” she asks as she reaches up to pet her cat. “Also, sorry about the shirt. I kinda missed laundry day.”
    "Well I tried to but someone kept insisting that we watch cartoons while we waited for you." Louis explains as he puts on an old episode of a cartoon depicting the antics of a cat and mouse. He attempts to steal a glance out of the corner of his eye at the exposed skin peeking out from beneath Izzy's shirt as he settles back into his seat. "Don't worry about it. I happen to appreciate modern art." He says with a playful smile lining his lips.

"So, we kept going back and forth on what to watch but got a little distracted as you can see. What's Last Legend by the way? Noticed your GameStation collection over there. Can't say I've ever heard of that one though. There's 8 of'em?"
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-11-11 at 05:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

John
    “I’m sorry John,” Emi says. Her eyes are regretful. “It wasn’t my intention to make you feel bad about anything. I’m not disappointed in you.” She reaches up to cup his cheek and give him a soft kiss. “I’m your first serious relationship. Such feelings are normal.”

“Do you want to do lunch tomorrow?” she asks. “You’re right about the Vivaldi piece. I haven’t had the time to learn it. It’s quite a bit longer than I remember,” she admits with a sheepish smile. “But I would like to see you. I have time at 1, between two of my classes.”

Manny
    Harbinger raises an eyebrow. “Hey, I only asked how long you’d been cursed. I didn’t ask for the story. Didn’t want to bring up bad memories. But since ya did tell me anyway, it sounds like to me— ya know what, I’m not gonna say it. I’m sure you’ve heard it before. It isn’t something you can change now, you just gotta work to get yourself under control so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

As the rain starts, the angel glares up at the sky. “You wanna head in? I’m gonna make some dinner. Haven’t eaten since before noon. You want anything?”

OOC: Since Harbinger already has Influence over Manny, he shifts his labels instead. +Mundane, -Danger

Manny clears a Condition

Keith
    “You didn’t bother me,” Drake replies as he comes up to Keith. “Yuki left her water bottle down here and she asked me to come get it,” he says, gesturing at a pastel purple metal bottle sitting on the side of the mats.

He seems to realize how much Keith’s struggling and sits down next to the other hero, looking intently at him. “Hell yeah, we control our destiny. You always have a choice on how you respond to things that happen around you. You can change whatever path you think you’re on, if you take charge of it.”

He gives Keith a half smile. “And you have all of us to help. We’re here for you.”

“What’d the East Sider say that got you thinkin’?” Drake asks.

Louis
    Izzy smiles. As Louis sits next to her, he smells apples and ginger from her shampoo. “Oh, is that so? Ray’s always been pretty vocal about what he wants. I’m sure he brow beat you into it,” she jokes.

“I ‘stole’ the GameStation from my dad when I moved out. We used to play together and he showed me all these old games. There’s actually like… 15 Last Legends now. These are the old ones. All of them are separate stories. They’re not sequels or anything.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-11-11 at 06:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    Harbinger raises an eyebrow. “Hey, I only asked how long you’d been cursed. I didn’t ask for the story. Didn’t want to bring up bad memories. But since ya did tell me anyway, it sounds like to me— ya know what, I’m not gonna say it. I’m sure you’ve heard it before. It isn’t something you can change now, you just gotta work to get yourself under control so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

As the rain starts, the angel glares up at the sky. “You wanna head in? I’m gonna make some dinner. Haven’t eaten since before noon. You want anything?”

OOC: Since Harbinger already has Influence over Manny, he shifts his labels instead. +Mundane, -Danger

Manny clears a Condition

"I-- sure." Manny says, realizing it worked in every present situation. He couldn't change what happened earlier today. Or then. But he could try to make it right, now and in the future.

"Hey, Harbinger. You think it would be ok to go on patrol with you guys at night? I'm normally a night owl and I can handle myself well As you've seen tonight. Especially since most of the younger guys have classes during the day. I can sleep then and patrol later than them without disrupting anything. Just something I was thinking about. I could take Keith and or John or Work with Kenzie and Wolf since there's a big to-do about Curfew and what not here. What's that about? Patrols normally increased and went longer when stuff got bad, not the opposite."
    Spoiler: MASKS stuff
    Show
    Manny clears Insecure and shifts labels as prescribed.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-11-11 at 06:52 PM.