New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Manny and Keith
    The flight is thankfully fairly short into the South side of town. The clouds open up once again and cold rain soaks the heroes through.

Aeryn leads them to the North side roof of St. Mary’s church, where there’s a slight overhang to get them out of the rain. Waiting underneath is a short, athletic girl with her hair pulled into a poof at the back of her head, and a hulking chimera with the head of a wolf. Though the chimera is crouched down, he’s still just as tall as the girl.

Yuki shifts back into human form as she lands and hugs the girl briefly before turning to her sleek black wolf. Blue fire ignites in rings just an above her paws, offering a little bit of light and heat.

As Manny and Keith land, the two South Siders move back a little farther under the overhang to make room for them.

Aeryn is the last to land. He waves to his two other teammates as he slicks his hair back out of his eyes. “Paradox, Wolf, this is Izulu and Crowe from West Side,” he says, gesturing to each of them.

Paradox eyes Manny appreciatively before she clears her throat a little and says, “Thanks for coming out, guys. Wolf and I have been holding down the fort down here, but I think what Wolf found is more than just the two of us can handle, especially with Harbinger not being on patrol with us tonight.”

John and Raphael
    “Geneva’s closer,” Emi says when Stella is unsure which city is nearest. “The closest larger city would be… Toulouse, I think?”

The sorceress smiles at the thought of her mother going home for a much needed vacation/recovery. “I think she would like that very much. I know I would enjoy it and appreciate it so much more now. The cathedral is an amazing piece of architecture and the town itself is beautiful. And of course there’s Mediterranean, which is the prettiest blue.”

As Raphael joins them, Stella flushes slightly as he kisses her cheek. Under the table, she takes his hand in her own.

Emi smiles at the two of them. “A pleasure, Raphael,” she says. She has a fairly heavy and very proper English accent.

It’s fine, John, Emi says faintly into his mind. I don’t mind company. Though I do have some questions about Raphael that I wish to speak to you about later.

Lana returns with two large plates of scallops and oysters. She sets those down on the table, and then a stack of smaller plates. “Can I get you something to drink, Mr. Rothmyer?” she asks. “It’s on the house.”

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Manny and Keith
    The flight is thankfully fairly short into the South side of town. The clouds open up once again and cold rain soaks the heroes through.

Aeryn leads them to the North side roof of St. Mary’s church, where there’s a slight overhang to get them out of the rain. Waiting underneath is a short, athletic girl with her hair pulled into a poof at the back of her head, and a hulking chimera with the head of a wolf. Though the chimera is crouched down, he’s still just as tall as the girl.

Yuki shifts back into human form as she lands and hugs the girl briefly before turning to her sleek black wolf. Blue fire ignites in rings just an above her paws, offering a little bit of light and heat.

As Manny and Keith land, the two South Siders move back a little farther under the overhang to make room for them.

Aeryn is the last to land. He waves to his two other teammates as he slicks his hair back out of his eyes. “Paradox, Wolf, this is Izulu and Crowe from West Side,” he says, gesturing to each of them.

Paradox eyes Manny appreciatively before she clears her throat a little and says, “Thanks for coming out, guys. Wolf and I have been holding down the fort down here, but I think what Wolf found is more than just the two of us can handle, especially with Harbinger not being on patrol with us tonight.”
    "Pleasure to meet you both." Manny says, smiling easily to the new heroes. Letting his eyes linger on Paradox's for a split-second. "What's the find Wolf? We're no Harbinger but I'm sure we can help." He says with a wink and nudging Crowe.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-04 at 05:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith

Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    "Pleasure to meet you both." Manny says, smiling easily to the new heroes. Letting his eyes linger on Paradox's For a split-second. "What's the find Wolf? We're no Harbinger but I'm sure we can help." He says with a wink and nudging Crowe.
    Crowe waves at the other South Siders and nods. He grins at the nudge. "Nice to meet ya both finally. And anytime. Like Izulu said, should be able to make up for it with numbers."

He looks between them, and of course they hadn't actually told him how the others looked. He didn't know what he had expected, but even hearing that Paradox could deck Drake, he decided to let Izulu do the talking.

"Slightly curious if it lines up with some of what we found earlier. Oh right, we should probably get some pics of the place for Dee."
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-04 at 05:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124

OldWizardGuy

“Geneva’s closer,” Emi says when Stella is unsure which city is nearest. “The closest larger city would be… Toulouse, I think?”

The sorceress smiles at the thought of her mother going home for a much needed vacation/recovery. “I think she would like that very much. I know I would enjoy it and appreciate it so much more now. The cathedral is an amazing piece of architecture and the town itself is beautiful. And of course there’s Mediterranean, which is the prettiest blue.”

As Raphael joins them, Stella flushes slightly as he kisses her cheek. Under the table, she takes his hand in her own.

Emi smiles at the two of them. “A pleasure, Raphael,” she says. She has a fairly heavy and very proper English accent.

It’s fine, John, Emi says faintly into his mind. I don’t mind company. Though I do have some questions about Raphael that I wish to speak to you about later.
    But of course, darling,” he projected with mock innocence. I will endeavor to provide you with answers that are both plausible and entertaining while maintaining an air of mystery and danger.

He knew where that conversation was going — just as he knew his response was a tacit answer to her as of yet unspoken question. She now had too many pieces for the puzzle of Raphael’s nature to not have come together for her. How much plausible deniability he would have to employ would entirely depend on how much overlap there was in her answer to the question, “Who is asking: An agent of Myriad, one of the Shaw family of heroes, or just Emi?”

Of one could employ the word “just” with Emi, given how wonderful she is.

Lana returns with two large plates of scallops and oysters. She sets those down on the table, and then a stack of smaller plates. “Can I get you something to drink, Mr. Rothmyer?” she asks. “It’s on the house.”
    Another piece of evidence that 5th Chapter is, at minimum, a vampire safe house, John thought as his eyes swept the room, looking for any hints of vampiric presence in the room. His and Montcrieff’s one outing against a vampire turned out to be a poseur with a blood fetish rather than an actual member of the living dead.

Maybe she would visit Iron Station just to meet Raphael so she could cross that off her bucket list but he suspected that meeting would not count, as it didn’t involve field work.

He had his doubts that he would — with the possible exception of Lana — be able to pick any vampires out in the low light (A prudent choice of the owners, no doubt.), but it was worth attempting. After all, he could not be certain that Raphael’s presence provided any inherent protection — either as a matter of courtesy or territory.

Spoiler: The Rolex of the man across the room is five minutes fast!
    Show

A Bloody Mary would be just too cliche, John wagered. Would he order something entirely innocuous or something that involved an energy drink thick enough to mask some of its additional contents? It would be the kind of thing that Montcrieff would less love to know and more love to try and determine if a Vodka and Red Bull were his order.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

R&R:

"I came a few times when I first arrived in Iron Station. I was trying to find a place worthy of being a 'usual haunt'. But I guess that ended up being a moot point." Raphael says with a shrug. "I only came down here once, I mostly was upstairs trying to get a feel for the college crowd. I recall they had some sort of fancy cowboy steak that was phenomenal." He continues, picking up a menu and scanning it.

His search is interrupted by the waitress.

"Hey Lana, is Thaddeus working tonight? If he is, please tell him I'd like a Virgin Bayou Bilgewater. If he's out, just a soda will be fine." The vampire says cheerfully to the waitress.
    Last edited by big teej; 2022-10-07 at 01:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Lightbulb Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Manny and Keith
    Wolf gazes at Manny for a moment too long. His amber eyes almost glow in the dim light as they stare unblinkingly at him with a predatory intensity. “A nest,” he growls. His voice is a deep bass that resonates through the assembled heroes’ chests. “At least five Lesser Demons. One Raeksha. Possible hostages. I smelled at least one human scent, but there is also a lot of blood. I’m unsure if the human is still alive. Regardless, we should destroy the demons.”

“Wolf’s sure he smelled the Raeksha,” Paradox says at the chimera’s nod. “I’m confident in our abilities, but we can’t take one of those one with just the two of us.”

Steam rises off of Aeryn as the water starts to evaporate. “Where is the nest?”

“Where else?” Paradox replies with a smirk. “The most beautiful place in Iron Station! The place you see in all the magazine ads! The sewers.”

“I tracked several demons from across South Side to this location,” Wolf says. “There is an entrance to the sewers in the alley beside us.”

John and Raphael
    “He is,” Lana says. “I’ll get that right in for you, then come back for your order.” She once again rushes off.

“Did you find any good books while you were up there?” Stella asks Raphael as she also finally looks at a menu.

“I was surprised to find what amounts to a library here. I’d always assumed it was all a restaurant,” Emi says. She looks between Stella and Raphael. “Have you been in Iron Station long?” she asks the vampire. “I’ve kept up with the Myriad side of town, but not so much with the AEGIS side.”
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-05 at 11:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith
    Wolf gazes at Manny for a moment too long. His amber eyes almost glow in the dim light as they stare unblinkingly at him with a predatory intensity. “A nest,” he growls. His voice is a deep bass that resonates through the assembled heroes’ chests. “At least five Lesser Demons. One Raeksha. Possible hostages. I smelled at least one human scent, but there is also a lot of blood. I’m unsure if the human is still alive. Regardless, we should destroy the demons.”

“Wolf’s sure he smelled the Raeksha,” Paradox says at the chimera’s nod. “I’m confident in our abilities, but we can’t take one of those one with just the two of us.”

“Where else?” Paradox replies with a smirk. “The most beautiful place in Iron Station! The place you see in all the magazine ads! The sewers.”

“I tracked several demons from across South Side to this location,” Wolf says. “There is an entrance to the sewers in the alley beside us.”
    Crowe's eyes go wide. Five lesser demons, they could probably handle. The Raeksha had him concerned. Especially if it was the griffon from the other day. If the people were still alive, they didn't have much time at all.

"So right within the best piece of real estate? Man, those tracts of land are just getting gobbled up all over." He couldn't help but grin a bit. Crowe was finally starting to feel a bit better after the few days of being in a funk. Maybe it was knowing that he did have a date, or maybe just that he was getting to be away from John as his current partner. He had no idea. And White had calmed down a bit too.

"Five lesser, and one big'en. If it's the griffon, this is a good time for payback. And agree with ya, Wolf."

Crowe looks back at the alleyway Wolf points out to them, and shrugs. "Want me to try and scout ahead a bit just to try and get a bead? Could disguise myself as that fat frog since we're all pretty sure they're workin' together."

8. - Top - End - #128

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith

Lovely. The Sewers. One day, can we fight a villain who owns a high-rise?

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Crowe's eyes go wide. Five lesser demons, they could probably handle. The Raeksha had him concerned. Especially if it was the griffon from the other day. If the people were still alive, they didn't have much time at all.

"So right within the best piece of real estate? Man, those tracts of land are just getting gobbled up all over." He couldn't help but grin a bit. Crowe was finally starting to feel a bit better after the few days of being in a funk. Maybe it was knowing that he did have a date, or maybe just that he was getting to be away from John as his current partner. He had no idea. And White had calmed down a bit too.

"Five lesser, and one big'en. If it's the griffon, this is a good time for payback. And agree with ya, Wolf."

Crowe looks back at the alleyway Wolf points out to them, and shrugs. "Want me to try and scout ahead a bit just to try and get a bead? Could disguise myself as that fat frog since we're all pretty sure they're workin' together."
    Manny looks back at wolf. "We most move quickly, If someone can be saved we should try our damndest to see to that. I'd like to plan this out more but we're low on time. We'll have to plan as we execute. Crowe if you can still use all your powers in your altered state then all the better, Once we locate the hostages lets work to extract . Save hostages. Kill Demons. Destroy nest. Is that an agreeable prioritization? If so, let's move."
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-04 at 09:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny and Keith
    Paradox shakes her head. “I don’t think we should separate.”

Wolf rumbles his agreement. “We do not know how acute their senses are. If you scout ahead, you could be ambushed. Otherwise, I agree with this plan,” he says, gazing at Manny again.

Yuki and Aeryn agree as well. All four of the South Siders hop down off the roof and Wolf opens the sewer grate for everyone. Once down into the sewer, Yuki shifts to her tiger form and Aeryn lights a small fireball in his palm. It flickers at first, but solidifies quickly as he concentrates. Wolf takes point, leading them down the twists and corners, while Yuki and Paradox take the rear.

Spoiler: Girl Talk- Notice TN 8
    Show
    “Girl, how do you concentrate with a man like that around?” Kenzie asks Yuki in a low whisper.

There’s a pause while Yuki answers.

“Sure, you’re taken. But that accent!”

10. - Top - End - #130

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith

Wolf rumbles his agreement. “We do not know how acute their senses are. If you scout ahead, you could be ambushed. Otherwise, I agree with this plan,” he says, gazing at Manny again.

Yuki and Aeryn agree as well. All four of the South Siders hop down off the roof and Wolf opens the sewer grate for everyone. Once down into the sewer, Yuki shifts to her tiger form and Aeryn lights a small fireball in his palm. It flickers at first, but solidifies quickly as he concentrates. Wolf takes point, leading them down the twists and corners, while Yuki and Paradox take the rear.

Spoiler: Girl Talk- Notice TN 8
    Show
    “Girl, how do you concentrate with a man like that around?” Kenzie asks Yuki in a low whisper.

There’s a pause while Yuki answers.

“Sure, you’re taken. But that accent!”
    Crowe nods and shrugs off the idea. "True, and no telling if they'd see right through the illusion anyway. Won't hurt as an attempt though."

He focuses for a moment as his form changes, being engulfed in his shadow once more turning into the fat frog Julian. A short croak escaped once it was done. He was once more, a frog. Now if only he was a prince in more than just a name. then again that would be difficult finding a princess. Wait didn't Zylas mention a sister? No no, gotta focus on surviving for the date with Kylie. This joke was getting out of hand.

He followed along with everyone into the sewer and turned to Manny, using his normal voice for the moment. "And yes, all my powers still work just like this. Which really helps. Unfortunately, it only works if I've seen the person and heard them talk. Still new to it."

Spoiler: I think I heard a rat training turtles?
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 15 1d6o6+2 5

He caught a few of the words between the girls in the back of the group and elbowed Manny in a nudging manner as he did to him earlier. If only he didn't have those frog hands at the moment, he would have typed up a message for him. Yuki's ears catch near about everything he had learned.

Suddenly a chill went down his spine. Oh ****....... What did she hear about the Empire last night?! He had been so concerned with John letting them walk into a potential trap and the mission this morning, it didn't even occur to him that he mentioned the possibility of the Empire being a part of this. Still, he tried to shrug it off and focus on the moment. They couldn't afford the distraction with as many demons Wolf had sensed.

"I see why Dee trusts you so much and speaks highly of you." He speaks rather quietly to keep their voices low to Izulu.

11. - Top - End - #131

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith

Manny nods at Wolf and smirks before taking to task.

Crowe nods and shrugs off the idea. "True, and no telling if they'd see right through the illusion anyway. Won't hurt as an attempt though."

He focuses for a moment as his form changes, being engulfed in his shadow once more turning into the fat frog Julian. A short croak escaped once it was done. He was once more, a frog. Now if only he was a prince in more than just a name. then again that would be difficult finding a princess. Wait didn't Zylas mention a sister? No no, gotta focus on surviving for the date with Kylie. This joke was getting out of hand.

He followed along with everyone into the sewer and turned to Manny, using his normal voice for the moment. "And yes, all my powers still work just like this. Which really helps. Unfortunately, it only works if I've seen the person and heard them talk. Still new to it."
    "All our powers are still growing. Given time I'm sure you'll master them." Manny says to frogman Keith, flying above the sludge.

Spoiler: I think I heard a rat training turtles?
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 15 1d6o6+2 5

He caught a few of the words between the girls in the back of the group and elbowed Manny in a nudging manner as he did to him earlier. If only he didn't have those frog hands at the moment, he would have typed up a message for him. Yuki's ears catch near about everything he had learned.

Suddenly a chill went down his spine. Oh ****....... What did she hear about the Empire last night?! He had been so concerned with John letting them walk into a potential trap and the mission this morning, it didn't even occur to him that he mentioned the possibility of the Empire being a part of this. Still, he tried to shrug it off and focus on the moment. They couldn't afford the distraction with as many demons Wolf had sensed.

"I see why Dee trusts you so much and speaks highly of you." He speaks rather quietly to keep their voices low to Izulu.
    "Thanks mate. Let's stay sharp. Who knows when it's gonna pop off." Manny says trying to focus on task at hand.

12. - Top - End - #132

NinjaGuy

Doctor's Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblood
    The doctor lets out a small huff of laughter. “No doubt. Unfortunately, I’ve already finished scaring the kids for today. I’m fresh out of lollipops.”

“I’m just waiting for a blood sample to come back from the lab, then I’ll release him to you, Louis.”
    Louis feigns a sigh of disappointment then smiles. "No worries Doc. Ryker's a big kid, I think he'll be okay."

“Can I go back in there with him until it comes back?” Iris asks.

Dr. Snowblood nods. “As long as you keep him in bed and don’t let him leave until I let him go, that’s fine.”

Iris says a quick thank you and returns to Ryker’s room as the nurse that has been working with Izzy comes to find Louis. “You can come back in if you would like.”
    "Someone come get me when he gets released for good behavior." He says to Iris just before she disappears through the doorway. Louis thanks the nurse and heads back to see Izzy.

When Louis comes back in, he can see that Izzy’s eyes are red and puffy, like she’s been crying. She smiles at him though. Whatever medication they’ve given her seems to have perked her up considerably, as she seems much more aware of herself and her surroundings. “So, I’m pretty sure that I saw you at the Machine Shop when I played. Did you like it?”
    The hero takes his seat back at Izzy's bedside and rocks forward in the chair, leaning against the bed rails. "Every second of it. I even recorded a couple of songs on my phone. Wish I was able to stay and talk to you guys after the set was over but something came up back at home." Feelings of loss and anger surge through him but he's able to suppress his emotions by refocusing on Izzy's eyes. "So... what's with the waterworks?" He says with a slight nod of his head in her direction. "It's okay if you don't wanna talk about it. I know the last day or so's been hard on you."

13. - Top - End - #133

OldWizardGuy

“He is,” Lana says. “I’ll get that right in for you, then come back for your order.” She once again rushes off.

“Did you find any good books while you were up there?” Stella asks Raphael as she also finally looks at a menu.

“I was surprised to find what amounts to a library here. I’d always assumed it was all a restaurant,” Emi says. She looks between Stella and Raphael. “Have you been in Iron Station long?” she asks the vampire. “I’ve kept up with the Myriad side of town, but not so much with the AEGIS side.”
    “Help yourself,” John offered to Raphael as he took one of the oysters before rereading the description of the grilled Cobia option on the menu — a fish he had heard about but never tried — and waited to hear Raphael’s answers the the ladies’ questions. With the first, he had the opportunity of providing some kind of plausible explanation to what kind of business took him upstairs for such an extended period. Of course, he didn’t know that Stella had confirmed that there was a meeting that took place upstairs — an inadvertent minefield he had laid. He would have to learn to be more wary on his friends’ behalf in settings like this.

Of course, there had been nothing in the conversation thus far that linked the meeting with the location — with the exceptions of the waitress knowing him by name, offering a drink on the house, and his knowing the name of the bartender.

Okay, so there were some thing that linked the location to the meeting.

Nevertheless, those items just meant he was known here — not that Raphael had reasons to frequent the establishment over the still relatively short time — less than a year, if he remembered the briefing sheet correctly — he had been in Iron Station.

The awkward part of all of this was that John found himself with divided loyalties. On one side was AEGIS and his friends and teammates. On the other was his implausible girlfriend, who had already begun to notice things and who was attached to Myriad and was likely going to notice if he tried to redirect the conversation.

Of course, he did have Stella to help him.

14. - Top - End - #134

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    "Thanks mate. Let's stay sharp. Who knows when it's gonna pop off." Manny says trying to focus on task at hand.
    Crowe nods and keeps his eyes open and himself at the ready. Maybe Izulu was more conversational outside of a mission? Eh, he'd take time to find out later.

Eventually he felt a sort of shiver down his spine again, not quiet the same as with remembering Zodiac potentially knowing his full story, but something different. Or maybe it was the anxiety. Who knows?!

Spoiler: Is it my mind?
    Show

Danger Sense!: 1d6o6 3 1d6o6 5
    Bennys 2/3

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Louis
    “I glad you liked it,” Izzy says with a wide smile. “I thought that show went really well. I was supposed to play tonight at 5th Chapter, but I guess we’re gonna have to reschedule.”

Her eyes lower back to her lap. “They were happy tears, I promise. The nurse said I wasn’t… ya know…” she trails off for a moment. “They still had me take a morning after pill and a shot to make sure I don’t get any STDs, just in case.”

“I don’t remember much from the last two days, but I do remember this huge blonde guy with a beard checking on me a few times. He seemed really concerned that I’d been drugged.” She thinks for a moment, recalling what she can. “How did you find me anyway?”

Manny and Keith
    Crowe spots small bits of dust and debris fall from the ceiling. It seems to be heading the same direction that the six of them are as they make a turn and the small trickle of dust from the ceiling follows.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-05 at 10:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

R&R:

"There was some really old-looking book about like... knights... sorcery... quests.... that kinda thing." Raphael says absentmindedly as he figures out what he plans on ordering.

He looks up, thinking. "It was called.... The Diamond Throne."

Raphael turns his attention back to Emilia, "About six months. ish. I think."

He looks between the two women. "It was disgustingly romantic, I think you both might like it." He says with a grin.

17. - Top - End - #137

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith
    Crowe spots small bits of dust and debris fall from the ceiling. It seems to be heading the same direction that the six of them are as they make a turn and the small trickle of dust from the ceiling follows.
    Crowe watched the dust and debrisstart moving the same direction they were going and tilted his head to figure it out.

Dust could move a bit oddly but debris should fall straight down. It's almost as though it's being lead. Or leading them that way.

"Dust and debris are actin' weird. It's movin' same way we are. Like it's followin' us."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Post Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Spoiler: Meanwhile Back at East Side Base
    Show
    Kylie waits behind the wheel of Boss Betty as Zack fills up the new radiator with fluid, gently chewing the inside of her bottom lip. They still needed to bleed the coolant system, but this was the final piece that was needed to complete the Mustang. If it started today, she wouldn’t get to spend any more time alone down here with him. It was a guilty pleasure she had, even knowing that he probably didn’t see her as anything more than a friend.

Her thoughts race. Zack was single for the first time in two years. But she’d promised to go on a date with Keith. Zack was single, finally. But Keith…

“Kylie?”

Zack’s voice, directly outside the driver’s side window, startles her. He’s leaned down, with one arm braced on the roof so he can look into the cabin. She hadn’t even seen him move from the front of the engine bay.

“You okay?” He asks with a bit of concern.

She nods, gazing into those baby blue eyes of his. Kylie blinks before she can stare too long. Jesus girl, get a hold of yourself. “Is she ready?”

“I think so. All that’s left is to see if she’ll start.” He waves his hand and does a little magic trick to produce the key for her. “Would you do the honors?”

She grins as she takes the key from him. “Go watch up front and make sure nothing catches on fire.”

Nora starts up all the exhaust fans in the garage as Zack gives Kylie a mock salute. “Yes ma’am,” he says as he goes back to the front of the car.

Kylie presses down firmly on the clutch as she puts the key in the ignition and twists it. The engine turns over a few times before roaring to life, filling the garage with the sound of an angry V8 before it quiets to a low burble. She gets out of the car and walks around to stand beside Zack, who is admiring their work.

He shakes his head as the engine continues to run. “We did it,” he says, then gains volume. “Kylie, we did it!” He turns and hugs her tightly before spinning her around in a circle.

She forgets how to breathe as he holds her. Having his arms around her like this was something she’d literally dreamed about.

His smile is wide and innocent as he sets her back on her feet. He had no idea just what kind of effect the simple things he did had on her.

Zack’s expression turns more toward confusion as Kylie looks up at him and holds his gaze. She hasn’t stepped away, or removed herself from his arms like she normally did. And he realizes as her eyes dart down to his lips for just a moment that his hands have drifted down to just above her hips. Surely she wasn’t interested in him. She was one of those tomboy types that had guy friends— she’d told him before. Zack counted her as one of his own best friends after all the time they’d spent together. But holy **** was she looking at him like she wanted him.

John and Raphael
    The two women share a glance and a smile before Emi takes a scallop and offers it to Stella before taking two for herself.

Lana returns with a large margarita glass filled with a bright blue liquid and sets it in front of Raphael. “Thaddeus sends his regards. Are we all ready to order?”

“Yes,” Stella says. “I’ll have the lamb with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus, s'il vous plaît.”

Emi nods as well. “I’ll do the pistachio crusted salmon with broccoli.”

Spoiler: Still Meanwhile
    Show
    **** it, Kylie thinks before she reaches up and rests her hand on the nape of his neck to encourage him to lean down. Zack obliges and their lips meet in a slow, passionate kiss. The slight static that always seems to cling to his hands leaves a pleasant tingling sensation as Zack reaches up under her shirt to wrap his fingers around her sides and lower back. He does, however, keep his hands firmly in those ‘safe’ spots as much as he wanted to explore a little.

“Now, I am not complaining,” Zack says as she pulls back for a moment to gauge his reaction, “but you aren’t recording this, are you? This isn’t one of those ‘kiss your guy friend and see how he reacts’ things, right?”

Kylie grins. “And if it is?” she asks as she kisses him again.

“It’s a pretty cruel joke,” he replies quietly as looks down at her with half lidded eyes. “Even I’m not that mean.”

“Well it’s a good thing that it’s not a joke then,” she says as she hooks both arms around his neck. “Do you really think I’d do this just to mess with you?”

He shakes his head. “You’re not that kinda girl. Like I said, I’m not complaining.”

Kylie bites her lip, sending a shiver straight down Zack’s spine and into other parts of his anatomy. “You wanna… take this upstairs?” she asks, running one hand down his chest and stomach toward the top of his jeans.

Zack blinks, not quite believing what he’s hearing, or what she’s doing to him. This was not how he’d expected his evening to go. “Hell yeah I do.”

She smiles as she steps back and pushes lightly off him. “Grab the key for Boss Betty. I’ll meet you in my room.”

Keith and Manny
    Keith’s warning gives Wolf just enough time to dive out the way as chunks of concrete explode down from the roof as a giant chitinous draconic head the color of fresh blood breaks through and snaps at the chimera. Its centipede-like body and legs scrape back through the opening as it retreats back up into the roof.

Combat Begins!
    The centipede misses Wolf on the Surprise Round!
    Kings… Manny has Initiative!
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-06 at 11:16 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

OldWizardGuy

The two women share a glance and a smile before Emi takes a scallop and offers it to Stella before taking two for herself.

Lana returns with a large margarita glass filled with a bright blue liquid and sets it in front of Raphael. “Thaddeus sends his regards. Are we all ready to order?”

“Yes,” Stella says. “I’ll have the lamb with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus, s'il vous plaît.”

Emi nods as well. “I’ll do the pistachio crusted salmon with broccoli.”
    “I’d like to try the cobia, please,” John adds after Emi. “You know, we never did get around to asking about each other’s literary tastes the other night,” John observes. “For all I know, Raphael could be right about your taste in literature.

“I, um, seem to recall tacitly admitting to having read some sci-fi and fantasy,” John said, blushing a little as he recalled having touched Emi’s temples as a precursor to a more elaborate than usual telepathic connection, “although it has usually been alternate history like Turtledove and Powers rather than Tolkienesque fantasy. Do you get to do any reading other than psychology textbooks?”

Although he had preferred Drawing of the Dark, Powers’ The Stress of Her Regard and Hide Me Among the Graves, of course, had eventually led him to Stoker and LeFanu one fall when he decided to look into the original masters of the genre instead of Twilight. From everything he had heard, he had made the correct choice in that. But the nephilim of Powers’ stories were a far cry from what’s he had seen from Raphael. He was much closer to Stoker and LeFanu.

And he certainly did not sparkle.

As he finished his question of her, however, Emi’s eyes scattered his thoughts.

She wanted to be there with him.

Focus, John. She’s about to answer and you should try to remember what she says.

20. - Top - End - #140

GreataxeFighterGuy

Keith and Manny
    Keith’s warning gives Wolf just enough time to dive out the way as chunks of concrete explode down from the roof as a giant chitinous draconic head the color of fresh blood breaks through and snaps at the chimera. Its centipede-like body and legs scrape back through the opening as it retreats back up into the roof.

Combat Begins!
    The centipede misses Wolf on the Surprise Round!
    Kings… Manny has Initiative!
    Manny moves back away from the freshly made entrance.

**** i should've come up with a better plan than Traipse in there and hope it works. I don't want any more hurt on my watch.

"Wolf are you okay?" Izulu says, rushing towards wolf and ushering the team further in. His form starts to course with power and small arcs of electricity dance across his body.

"We can't fight in these tunnels. Head for more open space."

Spoiler: OOC Flight then fight
    Show

Flares and Burn: 8 Izulu marks Guilty for not coming up with a better plan.
    Izulu Holds 3 Burn Currently and Will you use one to protect a teammate as a note to the GM should it come up.
    Izulu takes the "Defend" (+2 to Parry) action and moves towards the nest.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

R&R:

"I'll have the steak." Raphael says, selecting the dish he'd recommended to John. "Medium Rare."

He carefully takes hold of the punch-bowl masquerading as a cocktail glass and takes a sip of the cerulean cocktail. After Lana walks away he offers it to Stella. "You gotta try this. You can only get it if you know the guy personally."

"And he likes you." The vampire adds as an afterthought.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny and Keith
    “Fine,” the chimera says. He pushes aside a large chunk of concrete blocking the path for the rest of them. It leaves a small space that is just big enough for everyone to squeeze through.

Wolf leads them farther into the sewers and a dull roar starts to build in front of them. The demon above seems to follow every twist and turn until the group hits a large, open chamber. Disgusting water flows from four different directions, converging in the center of the chamber in a giant drain.

As the group enters the chamber, the demon crashes through the wall behind them and snaps at Paradox.

Initiative:
    The demon gets to go again! It attacks Paradox— Izulu shields. If he misses on the roll he takes 16 damage
    8s… Crowe has Initiative!

Double Date
    Stella scoots closer to Raphael and slides the glass over to her so she can take a drink. “Oh, that is good. Do you know what’s in it? Or is that a secret only the bartender knows?”

Emi considers John’s question for a moment. “Since I joined East Side, I haven’t read much other than my textbooks,” she admits a little dejectedly. “The last one I read was maybe a month ago—The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami. It was very surreal, and I quite enjoyed it. I’ve always liked mysteries though, Sherlock Holmes stories especially.”

23. - Top - End - #143

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith
    “Fine,” the chimera says. He pushes aside a large chunk of concrete blocking the path for the rest of them. It leaves a small space that is just big enough for everyone to squeeze through.

Wolf leads them farther into the sewers and a dull roar starts to build in front of them. The demon above seems to follow every twist and turn until the group hits a large, open chamber. Disgusting water flows from four different directions, converging in the center of the chamber in a giant drain.

As the group enters the chamber, the demon crashes through the wall behind them and snaps at Paradox.

Initiative:
    The demon gets to go again! It attacks Paradox— Izulu shields. If he misses on the roll he takes 16 damage
    8s… Crowe has Initiative!
    Crowe floats out of the way and reacts with a blast of darkness from his palm. "Think this is as open as it'll let us get!"

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC:
    Show

Keith attacks the Demon Centipede with a Ranged Attack! Heavy Weapon!
    Shooting: 1d10o10 2 1d6o6 3
    OOC: Well then......

As the blast whiffs, Crowe spits. ****! I can't even hit a big target like that now?!

24. - Top - End - #144

OldWizardGuy

Double Date
    Stella scoots closer to Raphael and slides the glass over to her so she can take a drink. “Oh, that is good. Do you know what’s in it? Or is that a secret only the bartender knows?”

Emi considers John’s question for a moment. “Since I joined East Side, I haven’t read much other than my textbooks,” she admits a little dejectedly. “The last one I read was maybe a month ago—The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami. It was very surreal, and I quite enjoyed it. I’ve always liked mysteries though, Sherlock Holmes stories especially.”
    “I enjoy those as well,” John admitted. “My grandmother had saved my father’s old Hardy Boys books and I started in on Conan Doyle soon after I finished them — although I did get distracted by his historical novels at one point. Still, it didn’t keep me from indulging in the role of an American tourist and walking up Baker Street while listening to Gerry Rafferty looking for 221B — even thought I knew it didn’t exist.”

“So where do you come down on the great debate of Rathbone, Brett, or Cumberbatch as the best screen Holmes — or do you prefer one of the less well known portrayals? If, that is, you don’ t prefer your own imaginings? I’d imagine one with your talents must produce a compelling theatre of the mind.”

While almost all of his smile was driven by Emi’s presence, John noticed a touch of it came from glancing at Stella and Raphael getting closer together and conspiring over his drink. The look on her face was a far cry from the one he had encountered on the roof following Raphael’s disappearance and it made him happy to note the change.

25. - Top - End - #145

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith

Izulu follows Wolf as the group continues to path through the sewers, The trail of debris from the demon keeping him on edge. As soon as he enters the chamber there's a beat where he looks back at Paradox and the wall buckling behind her before he grabs her arm, pulling her towards him and sends a gust of wind past her with his free hand and buffeting the rocks from behind her and having the demon crunch down on the broken stone instead. "Would truly hate to see you get hurt." he says with a grin before realizing he's still holding her hand. He lets go and clears his throat before equipping his weapons and assuming a combat stance.

Spoiler: OOC Lucky Lucky.
    Show

Shielding roll 6 +2 from freak= 8

1 Burn spent! 2/3 remaining.

26. - Top - End - #146

NinjaGuy

Bedside Manners

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    “I glad you liked it,” Izzy says with a wide smile. “I thought that show went really well. I was supposed to play tonight at 5th Chapter, but I guess we’re gonna have to reschedule.”

Her eyes lower back to her lap. “They were happy tears, I promise. The nurse said I wasnÂ’tÂ… ya knowÂ…” she trails off for a moment. “They still had me take a morning after pill and a shot to make sure I don’t get any STDs, just in case.”
    "Oh..." Louis says in surprise as the nature of Izzy's conversation with the nurse is made painfully clear. He averts his gaze out of mild embarrassment. It should've been obvious to anyone what they were talking about when he was asked to leave the room but given everything that had transpired today it was easy for Louis to overlook such an important detail.

"Sorry, I really should've been able to put that together on my own. I know that kinda thing is incredibly personal. I'm just... glad you're okay." He says looking up into Izzy's eyes again with a soft smile. The hero leans further forward so that he can rests his elbows on the bed and offers a hand for Izzy to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    “I don’t remember much from the last two days, but I do remember this huge blonde guy with a beard checking on me a few times. He seemed really concerned that I’d been drugged.” She thinks for a moment, recalling what she can. “How did you find me anyway?”
    "Leo? Really?" He huffs a bit. Never would've guessed he was the sympathetic type.

"It's kinda funny actually. I think finding you was the easiest part of the rescue? We hit the streets as soon as Scott called up Ryker looking for me. Two Rooks working under the guy responsible for your kidnapping were posted up at the coffee bar this morning. They were hoping that by kidnapping you they could get Scott to talk and give up Ryker in exchange. Fortunately for Scott we had an opening in our schedule today, so we made a special delivery to the bar. We got the guys to talk and they were pretty quick to tell us where they thought you were taken." An illusory panel materializes in the air just above Izzy's lap and animated images of the rescue mission play out in stylized comic book art across it's surface as Louis recounts his story, taking artistic liberties when necessary.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Double Date
    Emi smiles as her gaze goes down to the table. “I don’t have a favorite. My grandfather and I would watch Rathbone films often though. He’s the one I’m most familiar with.”

“I also walked Baker Street,” she admits. “My mother took me when I asked one time to see the museum. Our picture was in The Times the next day and I was so embarrassed when one of my teachers pointed it out in class.” Her cheeks warm from the memory.

Manny and Keith
    Paradox thanks and steps away from Izulu as the demon chomps down on pieces of stone, crunching them into gravel and dust. Debris fall from its mouth as it raises its head and the feelers above its eyes quiver.

Polaris flies the 30 feet up to its head and throws a few fireballs into its black eyes while Paradox charges forward and throws her fist into the body of the centipede. The impact cracks its carapace slightly.

Wolf sniffs the air. “Zodiac, follow me.”

The tiger backs away from the centipede and follows the chimera down the East tunnel.

“Let’s keep this thing busy,” Paradox says as she punches the demon again. “I’m sure Wolf just smelled the hostage.”

Initiative:
    7s… Polaris goes, but fails to beat the centipede’s armor
    5s… Paradox Wounds the demon after it tries to soak!
    Wolf and Zodiac leave this combat
    Initiative resets!
    Queens… Paradox goes! She Wounds the demon again, but it soaks
    10s and 9s… Crowe and Izulu have Initiative !

Louis
    Izzy hesitates for only a moment as she looks into Louis’ eyes before she takes his hand. “It’s okay. Like I said, it was all good news.“

“Ryker was the one that got me out of the room I was in, right? Him and Iris? I feel like I remember seeing him on the news at some point…” she says as she tries to remember. “He’s a former Rook, right?”

She smiles as she watches Louis’ explanation. “So, you’re more than just a simple delivery boy, huh? I knew it.”

Spoiler: Meanwhile Back on the Roof
    Show
    Ryker sits on the lip of the roof, feeling his heart continue to break the longer he stares out into the night, waiting for her to come back.

The sound of the door opening behind him again makes him look over his shoulder. He sighs. Of course it had to be one of the angels. No doubt he was coming up here to talk to him about what’d happened. Ryker knew Mimi had probably shown him the footage. Nothing that happened at the base was secret, after all. He wasn’t sure how many cameras there were, but it was enough. The AI knew everything— Ava had proven that to him numerous times.

Seraph comes up beside him and leans his back against the edge of the roof. He’s silent for a long moment as he looks at the furniture John had set up, waiting for Ryker to acknowledge him.

Ryker lets the silence lay for a while until a question occurs to him. “Sid’s not in trouble for this, is she?”

“No,” Seraph replies as he checks his watch. “Do you have any idea where she could’ve gone?”

The former villain says nothing, unwilling to lie to the angel. He didn’t want her to be forced to return here if she didn’t want to be, even if it was the safest place for her. She wasn’t under Vibrato’s control anymore. She could make her own decisions.

He’s surprised when Seraph doesn’t call him out on his silence, but instead glances over at Ryker before he turns and hops up on the lip of the roof. “You know I’m here to talk if you want,” he says finally. “Harbinger too.”

“You know Harby would just yell,” Ryker scoffs. “I know both of you are probably ****in’ disappointed in me, ya know, being angels and all. Infidelity’s a sin, ain’t it?”

“I’m not that much different than a normal man, Ryker,” Seraph says quietly. “Everyone, even angels, make mistakes.” He looks like he wants to say more, but stops himself before he can start lecturing the younger hero. He glances at Ryker one more time before he jumps off the roof and soars up into the night.

The **** did it matter if everyone makes mistakes if you can’t fix it? Ryker thinks. The trust he and Sidney had between them was broken. It left a void that he couldn’t begin to figure out how to fill. He runs a hand through his hair once more as his emotions rage within him. It was a pain he’d never experienced. It had hurt when his mom and Gavin died. When he’d learned that Jesse had betrayed him. But this… it was so much worse.

28. - Top - End - #148

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith
    Paradox thanks and steps away from Izulu as the demon chomps down on pieces of stone, crunching them into gravel and dust. Debris fall from its mouth as it raises its head and the feelers above its eyes quiver.

Polaris flies the 30 feet up to its head and throws a few fireballs into its black eyes while Paradox charges forward and throws her fist into the body of the centipede. The impact cracks its carapace slightly.

Wolf sniffs the air. “Zodiac, follow me.”

The tiger backs away from the centipede and follows the chimera down the East tunnel.

“Let’s keep this thing busy,” Paradox says as she punches the demon again. “I’m sure Wolf just smelled the hostage.”

Initiative:
    7s… Polaris goes, but fails to beat the centipede’s armor
    5s… Paradox Wounds the demon after it tries to soak!
    Wolf and Zodiac leave this combat
    Initiative resets!
    Queens… Paradox goes! She Wounds the demon again, but it soaks
    10s and 9s… Crowe and Izulu have Initiative !
    Crowe grins seeing the way that the carapace cracks under Paradox's assault, and lets his illusion drop as he flies to the opposite side Polaris was on. "Aye aye!"

He yells out the acknowledgement as another blast is let loose from his hands.

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC:
    Show

Crowe uses a Ranged Attack! Heavy Weapon!
    Shooting: 1d10o10 4 1d6o6 4
    Spent one Benny to reroll; 1/3
    Damage: 4d6o6 21 Dark Damage

29. - Top - End - #149

OldWizardGuy

Double Date
    Emi smiles as her gaze goes down to the table. “I don’t have a favorite. My grandfather and I would watch Rathbone films often though. He’s the one I’m most familiar with.”

“I also walked Baker Street,” she admits. “My mother took me when I asked one time to see the museum. Our picture was in The Times the next day and I was so embarrassed when one of my teachers pointed it out in class.” Her cheeks warm from the memory.
    The Times covered her outings with her mother. Yes, The Times ran human interest stories but middle schooler and her mother visit museum is not the kind of thing that would sell papers — no matter how beautiful they were.

The portion of his brain that never stopped trying to solve puzzles wanted to ask how old she was. For her mother to be there, it had to have been before or, perhaps, just after she turned 11 — likely close to that time, given the age at which she would have found herself coming across Conan Doyle. Fifth grade — maybe sixth? That would align well with the embarrassment any child noted by her teacher might feel.

The story she was referring to had been scrubbed. Unless she had retained a copy in a scrapbook, that had been taken away from her in the interest of security — a need that, as of yet, had not been explained to him.

There hadn’t even been an exchange. She did not receive anything like anonymity when the record had been scrubbed. She was still known and still recognized wherever she went. The tangible, material artifacts that recorded memory were nonetheless gone.

She had her memory, of course, and the associations that memory provided her. But it was locked behind the discipline her father had instilled in her.

“The excitement of the outing must have been worth the next day’s embarrassment,” John observed, reaching over and giving her hand a gentle, supportive squeeze. “I spent a solid year going through maps of the coast around New York trying to find a town that matched the profile of Bayport and trying to build a case of it to be Newport. I really couldn’t wrap my head around the need for the various Hardy Boys ghost writers to have a fully fictional place.

“I did get a good grade on the project, but, in retrospect, the real fun lay in trying to put together that puzzle.

“I’m guessing your mother enjoyed the chance to go on the outing with you,” he ventured, offering the chance for her to indulge in the happy memory.

30. - Top - End - #150

GreataxeFighterGuy

Crowe grins seeing the way that the carapace cracks under Paradox's assault, and lets his illusion drop as he flies to the opposite side Polaris was on. "Aye aye!"

He yells out the acknowledgement as another blast is let loose from his hands.
    Izulu watches the 2 head off Worrying about their safety but think better than to try to debate it now. If this is the biggest threat let's crush it now.

Izulu dashes towards the Demon Charges up his batons with a powerful current for two explosive strikes at its carapace!

Spoiler: Flight's over. Fighting now.
    Show
    Attack Rolls 10,9

2 Hits; No Raises.

Damage 22 and 27