New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC III

Manny and Keith
    Crowe and Izulu’s attacks leave the centipede reeling, but it rears its head again and strikes out at the shadow user. Its snapping jaws barely miss him, catching on the edge of his cape and ripping it. It then swings its head savagely to the side, smacking Polaris down into the concrete below. His impact creates a crater that the alien doesn’t emerge from.

Paradox’s eyes widen as her teammate is hit. She glares up at the demon and a giant chunk of concrete flies up from the ground into the centipede’s bottom jaw.

The demon screeches and attempts to slam its body down on top of her, but she’s able to dive to the side out of the way. The segmented carapace continues and slams down on top of Izulu.

Initiative:
    The demon soaks all Wounds!
    7s… the demon goes! It misses Keith and the OHKOs Aeryn! Oof
    Initiative resets!
    Aces… Paradox goes and wounds the demon, barely
    Jacks… The demon misses Paradox, but hit with a raise on Izulu. He takes 34 damage! He takes a Powerful Blow!
    10s and 7s… Izulu and Crowe have Initiative!

Spoiler: Meanwhile, Back at West Side Base
    Show
    Down in the kitchen, Ryker holds the fifth of Fireball in one hand. He stares down it, remembering the smell on his dad’s breath as he screamed in his face over something that had happened at school. The fear that he felt deep in his gut when his dad unbuckled his belt. The pain as the heavy buckle bit into his shoulders, chest, and back.

He fights down the flood of emotion as he cracks the top. He didn’t want to feel anymore. Numb was better.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-08 at 07:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
    Manny and Keith
    Crowe and Izulu’s attacks leave the centipede reeling, but it rears its head again and strikes out at the shadow user. Its snapping jaws barely miss him, catching on the edge of his cape and ripping it. It then swings its head savagely to the side, smacking Polaris down into the concrete below. His impact creates a crater that the alien doesn’t emerge from.

Paradox’s eyes widen as her teammate is hit. She glares up at the demon and a giant chunk of concrete flies up from the ground into the centipede’s bottom jaw.

The demon screeches and attempts to slam its body down on top of her, but she’s able to dive to the side out of the way. The segmented carapace continues and slams down on top of Izulu.

Initiative:
    Initiative resets!
    Jacks… The demon misses Paradox, but hit with a raise on Izulu. He takes 34 damage! He takes a Powerful Blow!

Izulu tries to brace himself for the weight of the gargantuan creature but its weight immediately shatters any perceptions that was a good idea and perhaps a couple of ribs. The wind rushes from his lungs and his vision blurs .

He lies there motionless as his head swims.

Spoiler: oof
    Show
    Izulu takes a powerful blow and gives the enemy an opportunity.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith

Initiative:
    Initiative resets!
    Crowe watches as Polaris takes the hit he moved out of the way of. No, NOT AGAIN! He yelled out internally placing his palms outward at the demon. "**** OFF BACK TO HELL!" He screams out as the blast fires off.

Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC:
    Show

Crowe uses a Ranged Attack, Heavy Weapon!
    Shooting: 1d10o10 13 1d6o6 1
    Damage: 5d6o6 26
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-08 at 08:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154

NinjaGuy

Bedside Manners

Izzy hesitates for only a moment as she looks into Louis’ eyes before she takes his hand. “It’s okay. Like I said, it was all good news.“

“Ryker was the one that got me out of the room I was in, right? Him and Iris? I feel like I remember seeing him on the news at some point…” she says as she tries to remember. “He’s a former Rook, right?”
    "Yeah, that's him. Ryker's... legally obligated to turn over a new leaf. He's been working as a part of the South Side Pro Team for about a year now I think?"

She smiles as she watches Louis’ explanation. “So, you’re more than just a simple delivery boy, huh? I knew it.”
    "You got me." Louis says, raising his free hand up in surrender. "I'm a street magician too." He grins. "I go by Redline when I'm out doing hero work. I was going to tell you eventually, I promise. I just figured saving it for the second date would be the safer play."

Spoiler: EOS #1 and #2
    Show
    EOS #1

Redline gained 3 EXP!
    Redline ranks up to Veteran!

Redline takes More Power Points!

After responding to Scott's call for help and planning Izzy's rescue on the fly Louis has grown into his own self image. Using the limited resources and manpower at his disposal, he and Ryker were able to respond to a tense situation at the Coffee Bar and obtain details about the kidnapping that took place.

Louis shifts Superior up and Mundane Down

EOS #2

Redline gained 2 EXP!
    Redline marks 2 Potential!

Having rescued Izzy and Iris (inadvertently) with the combined efforts of his team Louis had grown closer to the team. Without Ryker's help none of this would've been possible and because of that Louis owes him more than he'd like to admit. Because of this Ryker gains influence over Louis.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny and Keith
    The demon attempts to stab Izulu through with one of its legs, but Paradox puts her shoulder into its body and lifts, throwing the centipede off balance and allowing Izulu to escape from under it. Crowe’s blast of darkness hits the demon’s head, breaking off one of its antennae.

Initiative:
    Crowe Wounds the demon and it does not Soak!
    The demon uses it’s opportunity to attack Izulu again, but misses
    Initiative Resets!
    Jacks… Crowe has Initiative!

Louis
    “You know, most guys would jump at the chance to let a girl know they’re a hero,” Izzy says, tilting her head. “Makes it easier to get a date. At least that’s what I’ve heard. I’ve never met one before you.”

“Redline is West Side, right? How do you know Ryker if he’s South Side?” she asks curiously. “I thought the teams didn’t really interact all that much.”

Louis and Izzy talk for about fifteen minutes before there’s a quiet knock at the door. Dr. Snowblood quickly pokes her head in. “Louis, Ryker’s free to go. He’s waiting out in reception for you,” she says before she closes the door again.

Izzy sighs. “I guess that means you gotta go,” she says glumly. She swallows. “Umm… do you mind coming back to take me home when they release me? The nurse said they were gonna keep me for observation for a few more hours, but…” she trails off before looking back up at Louis. “I know it’s a lot to ask considering we don’t really know each other, but I don’t feel safe going alone. The Rooks took me from right outside my apartment.” Her voice gets smaller and smaller as she goes on. “Forget I said anything. I’ll be okay. I’m sure you have way more important things to do, ya know. Saving people and all that.”

6. - Top - End - #156

AssassinGuy

Manny and Keith
    The demon attempts to stab Izulu through with one of its legs, but Paradox puts her shoulder into its body and lifts, throwing the centipede off balance and allowing Izulu to escape from under it. Crowe’s blast of darkness hits the demon’s head, breaking off one of its antennae.

Initiative:
    Crowe Wounds the demon and it does not Soak!
    The demon uses it’s opportunity to attack Izulu again, but misses
    Initiative Resets!
    Jacks… Crowe has Initiative!
    Crowe smirks seeing the antennae break off and fired off another blast seeing that Paradox had Izulu covered.
    Spoiler: Rolls, Mechanics, OOC:
    Show

Crowe uses a Ranged Attack! Heavy Weapon!
    Shooting: 1d10o10 3 1d6o6 3
    OOC: RIP, spending my last Benny
    Shooting: 1d10o10 4 1d6o6 5
    Damage: 4d6o6 5
    OOC: BRUH
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-09 at 04:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny and Keith
    The blast of darkness barely scrapes the centipede’s carapace. It targets Crowe and it snaps at the shadow user again, but only gets air. It shifts its bulk and slams back down on Paradox, slicing her shoulder open with one of its legs.

Initiative:
    9s… the demon goes! It misses Crowe but hits Paradox, she soaks all but 1 Wound!
    7s… Izulu has Initiative!

8. - Top - End - #158

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny and Keith
    The blast of darkness barely scrapes the centipede’s carapace. It targets Crowe and it snaps at the shadow user again, but only gets air. It shifts its bulk and slams back down on Paradox, slicing her shoulder open with one of its legs.

Initiative:
    9s… the demon goes! It misses Crowe but hits Paradox, she soaks all but 1 Wound!
    7s… Izulu has Initiative!
    Izulu's consciousness ebb and flows as he struggles to catch his breath. His sees Crowe shooting at the Demon and a giant leg raise above his chest before Paradox knocks the attack and the demon off-kilter. Izulu hearing and vision comes back into focus and he rolls out of the way. He moves to thank her before she get hurts from the Beasts charge. He sees the blood spill from the wound on her shoulder and He steels himself for an assault of his own.

The little arcs that were dancing across his skin start to grow larger and more focused, moving to his Batons be fore his focus lapses and the arc return to Normal.

C'mon not now. NOT NOW! JUST WORK! ****!

Izulu starts an assault but loses his poise from earlier, his precision replaced by wrath! His Baton smashes into the Carapace of the Demon and the weapon smashes upon the impact!

Spoiler: BIG MAD
    Show
    Reality storm: 6
    Izulu marks the Angry condition
    Attacks 15
    Spent a benny for no reason
    19 Damage
    1/3 burn remaining 1 Benny remaining.
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-09 at 09:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Double Date:

Raphael shakes his head with a smile. "Not a Clue. It's Thaddeus' trade secret. He's the only one who knows how to make it. Sure, there's other bartenders in town who claim they've figured it out."

Raphael shakes his head again for emphasis. "None of them even get close." He flicks the glass lightly. "Except for the color. But that's easy... Or at least I assume it is. I just know this is the...."

The vampire's eyes glaze over and he pauses a few seconds too long before starting and finishing "...3rd best tasting thing in the city." He glances at the margarita glass again before shrugging off the lingering memory from his taste-buds.

He turns his attention back to Stella. "So. Is 5th Chapter everything you remember it being?"

10. - Top - End - #160

NinjaGuy

Clean Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    Raphael tilts his head and gives Louis a look that screams skepticism and "Are you kidding me, dude?"

He sighs and pushes himself to his feet, faceless helmet in hand. "You're right Louis, they don't." He says, putting his helmet on and locking it into place.

"Neither do Demons. Or Magic. Or Dragons. Or Angels." He starts to walk away, turning to still face Louis as he walks backwards. "Or Alternate Dimensions, Or Ghosts, or Giant Mecha, or Aliens..." Nightgaunt keeps rattling off paranormal and sci-fi entities until he hits a building across the street and starts to walk backwards up it.

He offers his friend a mock-salute and says "I'll see you back home." Before falling apart into a double handful of corvids that rise, cawing mockingly, up into the sky.
    Louis watches Raphael's disappearing act from his curbside seat. "You know the majority of those things can already be explained by modern science!" He calls out with a smile on his face just before Nightgaunt transforms, flying away as murder of crows. "We're still working out the rest."

Vampire huh? There's no way... Maybe.

Spoiler: Label Shift
    Show
    Louis offers Raphael a few words of encouragement in the same way his mentor would in order to help his friend sort out his current identity crisis. His powers set him apart, give him greater control over the world around him, and they should be embraced.

Since Louis already has influence over Raphael he shifts his labels instead. Danger up and Mundane down.

Louis sits alone with nothing but the to the sounds of the city around him and the weight of the days events for a few more moments before finally getting up and walking back into the house. The hero spends several minutes searching the scene for the keys to the Monte Carlo and keeps an eye out for any other belongings that might've been dropped during the fight.

Spoiler: They Left in a Hurry
    Show

Louis (Duplicate) is looking for the keys and Denzel's phone specifically but will comb the scene for anything else that could be of use as leverage against the Rooks.

After he's finished searching through what's left of the safehouse Louis will notify Zandri that he's headed to whatever station they want him at for the interview. He walks about a block or so to get his bike and to make sure Ryker's is still there before heading down to the station.

Hero for Hire

“You know, most guys would jump at the chance to let a girl know they’re a hero,” Izzy says, tilting her head. “Makes it easier to get a date. At least that’s what I’ve heard. I’ve never met one before you.”
    "Guess I'm just different. Well, more than I already am anyway." Louis shrugs. "I just wanted to be sure that you liked me for me and not what I can do, ya know?" He says, with a hint of vulnerability in his voice.

“Redline is West Side, right? How do you know Ryker if he’s South Side?” she asks curiously. “I thought the teams didn’t really interact all that much.”
    "Yeah, West Side is my team. You've heard of us? Normally we keep to our own sides of the city but the higher ups called us together to work on a joint operation. I can't really tell you much more than that though. It's... complicated."

Louis and Izzy talk for about fifteen minutes before there’s a quiet knock at the door. Dr. Snowblood quickly pokes her head in. “Louis, Ryker’s free to go. He’s waiting out in reception for you,” she says before she closes the door again.

Izzy sighs. “I guess that means you gotta go,” she says glumly. She swallows. “Umm… do you mind coming back to take me home when they release me? The nurse said they were gonna keep me for observation for a few more hours, but…” she trails off before looking back up at Louis. “I know it’s a lot to ask considering we don’t really know each other, but I don’t feel safe going alone. The Rooks took me from right outside my apartment.” Her voice gets smaller and smaller as she goes on. “Forget I said anything. I’ll be okay. I’m sure you have way more important things to do, ya know. Saving people and all that.”
    Louis nods to Snowblood in acknowledgement before turning back to listen to Izzy. "Actually... I was already planning to offer you a ride home once you were cleared." He says, adjusting his goggles before running his free hand through his hair. "And technically my job is to keep the peace and to protect the people of this city, which includes you the last time I checked." He flashes another smile. "So I'll take you wherever you wanna go. As long as you're okay with riding together on my bike that is?"
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-10-10 at 11:14 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

AssassinGuy

Tired of These Centipedes in the Sewers!

Crowe sees Izulu's assault and how his weapon breaks against the carapace and he feels a slight tugging on the edges of his mind. They had to finish this now. He fired off another blast, smirking as it impacted on the demon's carapace again. He figured he would have been the best target, like an annoying mosquito to this giant. He just held onto hope that Polaris was alright, and that Wolf and Zodiac could get to the hostage in time. Still, seeing Paradox and Izulu take the brunt of the force, Crowe had to put all his power behind the blasts.

Spoiler: We are getting Aggravated
    Show

Shooting: 1d10o10 5 1d6o6 2 Heavy Weapon
    Damage: 4d6o6 22 Dark Damage

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Double Date
    “Yes,” Emi says, smiling softly. “My mother was never one for the public spotlight, unless she was preforming with the Symphony, or accompanying my father. It might be selfish, but I enjoyed having her undivided attention while we were out somewhere.”

Her free hand comes up to touch her necklace pendant, a bright silver wave design inlayed with diamonds. John has seen it before— she’d been wearing it on their rooftop date. She realizes what she doing and pulls her hand back down, and picks up her fork, cutting into a scallop.

Stella, who was taking a drink when Raphael spoke, has to force herself to swallow. Her face flushes and she clears her throat. “I’m going to grab another drink from the bar,” she says as she pushes on Raphael’s knee, asking him to let her out. Once he does, she makes her way quickly over there.

Spoiler: Raphael Notice TN 4
    Show
    Raphael spots Cassie making her way down from the spiral staircase. She sweeps the room with her eyes before making her way all the way down and over toward the bar.

Manny and Keith
    The combination of Izulu’s electricity coursing through it and Crowe’s last attack makes the demon screech and pulls back into the initial hole that it had created. Paradox watches it go and waits a moment to be sure it’s not coming back before rushing over to the crater where Aeryn lays. The alien is still, though his chest still moves, just barely.

“Aeryn,” Paradox murmurs as she kneels by his side. “You stupid kid. What were you thinkin’ getting that close?”

Combat Ends!

13. - Top - End - #163

GreataxeFighterGuy

Double Date
    “Yes,” Emi says, smiling softly. “My mother was never one for the public spotlight, unless she was preforming with the Symphony, or accompanying my father. It might be selfish, but I enjoyed having her undivided attention while we were out somewhere.”

Her free hand comes up to touch her necklace pendant, a bright silver wave design inlayed with diamonds. John has seen it before— she’d been wearing it on their rooftop date. She realizes what she doing and pulls her hand back down, and picks up her fork, cutting into a scallop.

Stella, who was taking a drink when Raphael spoke, has to force herself to swallow. Her face flushes and she clears her throat. “I’m going to grab another drink from the bar,” she says as she pushes on Raphael’s knee, asking him to let her out. Once he does, she makes her way quickly over there.

Spoiler: Raphael Notice TN 4
    Show
    Raphael spots Cassie making her way down from the spiral staircase. She sweeps the room with her eyes before making her way all the way down and over toward the bar.

Manny and Keith
    The combination of Izulu’s electricity coursing through it and Crowe’s last attack makes the demon screech and pulls back into the initial hole that it had created. Paradox watches it go and waits a moment to be sure it’s not coming back before rushing over to the crater where Aeryn lays. The alien is still, though his chest still moves, just barely.

“Aeryn,” Paradox murmurs as she kneels by his side. “You stupid kid. What were you thinkin’ getting that close?”

Combat Ends!
    Izulu catches his breath and checks the tunnel once more before getting on comms. "Mimi can you check and see if Seraph is available We have at least 1 badly injured hero." He says as Paradox heads over to Aeryn.

"Crowe can you stay with Paradox and Aeryn? I'm going to check on Wolf and Yuki. I haven't heard anything from them yet." He says, Grimacing at his ruined baton.

I'll need to requisition a new one when I get back to base.

14. - Top - End - #164

AssassinGuy

]
    Manny and Keith

Combat Ends!
    Quote Originally Posted by HIDA View Post
    Izulu catches his breath and checks the tunnel once more before getting on comms. "Mimi can you check and see if Seraph is available We have at least 1 badly injured hero." He says as Paradox heads over to Aeryn.

"Crowe can you stay with Paradox and Aeryn? I'm going to check on Wolf and Yuki. I haven't heard anything from them yet." He says, Grimacing at his ruined baton.

I'll need to requisition a new one when I get back to base.
    Crowe watches as the demon retreats and then turns to fly over to Polaris. He hadn't seen him take a hit that bad. Is this why he was always kept off night missions? It made sense if it drained him so much.

Izulu on the comms snapped him from his thoughts and he nodded.

"Sure, but are you alright to keep going? Took a heavy hit too. Not meanin' any offense just worried for ya." He shakes his head. "Either way, come back in one piece."

He kneels down around Polaris. "Hang in there buddy." He glances over at Paradox and looks around. Partial memories of agents dying as he dodged attacks kept popping into his mind. He hoped Seraph could get there quickly. Even still, he wished he could teleport the way someone else could.

"Izulu's going on ahead to check on Zodiac and Wolf. We should probably try to get him out before something else swings in. There's only static on the comms, and Seraph might be able to get here fastest." He tilts his head. "Zodiac give you any updates via telepathy?"
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-10 at 05:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

OldWizardGuy

Double Date

John mentally crossed ‘diamond necklace’ off his mental list of possible Christmas and Birthday/New Year gift ideas. Perhaps Jefferey could recommend one of his classmates to design a bracelet to match it. That might complicate things, though. The necklace she was wearing was clearly the one in the picture of the two of them at the gala where they had played together. Of course, That would not be all bad. Having his future mother-in-law borrowing a bracelet he commissioned would be a good way of connecting them and entwining the likely gift from Mr. Shaw to a gift from him.

Regardless, the good news was that Emi was not entirely bereft of mementos of her mother.

I’m happy to see you have some tangible things from your mother to connect you to her, John observed gently as he watched Stella slide out of her seat. Of course, once we bring her back, you may have to surrender your necklace back to her — at least from time to time.

He had missed something there. There was no reason for Stella to go to the bar to get a drink. Doubtless, blood and whatever synthetic blood — assuming it was synthetic — Raphael kept in his pouches were the obvious options for the other drinks. But that did not seem enough to cause Stella to need a moment to collect herself.

Mother of his girlfriend — not future mother-in-law.

At least not yet.

Whatever it was that he missed, John considered as he tried to pull himself back to the matter at hand, it seemed as if both of the ladies needed a moment. Traditionally, one would ask about the game at this point. That said, he had no idea of who was playing whom this weekend.

He did, however, have another option.

“I almost forgot to mention, Raphael: Keith has started to pull together a KBMU tournament that pulled in players from East, South, and West. I know you’ve stayed up late gaming but I wasn’t sure if that was one of the games you played. Should we make sure he has your name down?”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2022-10-10 at 05:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Crowe watches as the demon retreats and then turns to fly over to Polaris. He hadn't seen him take a hit that bad. Is this why he was always kept off night missions? It made sense if it drained him so much.

Izulu on the comms snapped him from his thoughts and he nodded.

"Sure, but are you alright to keep going? Took a heavy hit too. Not meanin' any offense just worried for ya." He shakes his head. "Either way, come back in one piece."

He kneels down around Polaris. "Hang in there buddy." He glances over at Paradox and looks around. Partial memories of agents dying as he dodged attacks kept popping into his mind. He hoped Seraph could get there quickly. Even still, he wished he could teleport the way someone else could.

"Izulu's going on ahead to check on Zodiac and Wolf. We should probably try to get him out before something else swings in. There's only static on the comms, and Seraph might be able to get here fastest." He tilts his head. "Zodiac give you any updates via telepathy?"
    "Hello? Mimi Hello? Damn. Nothing but crackle." Izulu says. I'm Headed to find them. If I'm not back in ten, get back topside and get Seraph here." Izulu says before he drops the remnants of his shattered baton and heads down the last path he saw Wolf and Yuki travel.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Clean Up Crew
    Louis sits alone with nothing but the to the sounds of the city around him and the weight of the days events for a few more moments before finally getting up and walking back into the house. The hero spends several minutes searching the scene for the keys to the Monte Carlo and keeps an eye out for any other belongings that might've been dropped during the fight.

Spoiler: They Left in a Hurry
    Show

Louis (Duplicate) is looking for the keys and Denzel's phone specifically but will comb the scene for anything else that could be of use as leverage against the Rooks.

After he's finished searching through what's left of the safehouse Louis will notify Zandri that he's headed to whatever station they want him at for the interview. He walks about a block or so to get his bike and to make sure Ryker's is still there before heading down to the station.
    None of the cops have made it to the kitchen yet. They seem to be more concerned with the drugs and guns in the living room. Louis manages to find the keys to the Monte Carlo sitting in a decorative metal plate on the counter. He also sees an open drawer that has dish towels in it. The countertop above is covered in handprints and streaks of Leo’s blood. There’s a phone lying on the floor below the drawer surrounded by large drops of blood.

Louis finds both his and Ryker’s bikes where he left them. The ride to the main station takes about 20 minutes. He passes easily through security after he tells them who he is. The guard leads him to an open office space filled with desks. There’s a few people working, and sitting at a desk close to one of the back offices is a woman with dark curly hair working at a laptop. There’s a plaque that says Detective Monique Kreiger sitting at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Hero for Hire
    "Guess I'm just different. Well, more than I already am anyway." Louis shrugs. "I just wanted to be sure that you liked me for me and not what I can do, ya know?" He says, with a hint of vulnerability in his voice.

"Yeah, West Side is my team. You've heard of us? Normally we keep to our own sides of the city but the higher ups called us together to work on a joint operation. I can't really tell you much more than that though. It's... complicated."

Louis nods to Snowblood in acknowledgement before turning back to listen to Izzy. "Actually... I was already planning to offer you a ride home once you were cleared." He says, adjusting his goggles before running his free hand through his hair. "And technically my job is to keep the peace and to protect the people of this city, which includes you the last time I checked." He flashes another smile. "So I'll take you wherever you wanna go. As long as you're okay with riding together on my bike that is?"
    “I can understand that,” Izzy says, squeezing his hand. “People have done that with me too when I’m out performing. I mean, I’m sure it’s not the same as what you’ve gone through, but… you know what I mean.”

She gives him a lopsided smile. “I’ve heard of you guys. You saved half the city from Panzer Protonik. With a little collateral damage… but that’s better than what could have happened.”

“Ever the delivery boy, hmm?” she jokes. “I don’t mind riding with you.” She sobers a little as she looks into his eyes. “Thank you Louis. I really appreciate you being willing to take me home.”

Keith
    Paradox shakes her head as she takes Aeryn’s hand. “Her range isn’t very far, especially when she can’t see you.”

The alien groans and coughs up some blood, so dark it’s almost purple.

Paradox looks on with concern and then up at Crowe. “You’re right, we really need to get him out of here.” She stands and concentrates for a moment. Aeryn floats up and she maneuvers herself underneath him so that he settles across both of her shoulders. “Let’s go.”

Manny
    Izulu can hear the sounds of battle as he makes his way down the tunnels where Zodiac and Wolf headed. There’s a loud tiger roar and a much smaller version of the centipede demon comes skittering down the tunnel toward Izulu. It screeches as it spots him and lunges at his head, but overshoots and crashes into the side of the tunnel.

Combat Begins!
    9s… the centipede goes, but gets Jinxed! Izulu gets the Drop on it! (+4 to Hit and Damage)
    6s… Izulu has Initiative!

18. - Top - End - #168

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    Izulu can hear the sounds of battle as he makes his way down the tunnels where Zodiac and Wolf headed. There’s a loud tiger roar and a much smaller version of the centipede demon comes skittering down the tunnel toward Izulu. It screeches as it spots him and lunges at his head, but overshoots and crashes into the side of the tunnel.

Combat Begins!
    9s… the centipede goes, but gets Jinxed! Izulu gets the Drop on it! (+4 to Hit and Damage)
    6s… Izulu has Initiative!
    Izulu deftly steps to it's side Before swinging the electrified Baton up to catch its across its underside!

Spoiler: Step and swing!
    Show
    Attack 13
    Damage 19

19. - Top - End - #169

AssassinGuy

Keith
    Paradox shakes her head as she takes Aeryn’s hand. “Her range isn’t very far, especially when she can’t see you.”

The alien groans and coughs up some blood, so dark it’s almost purple.Paradox looks on with concern and then up at Crowe. “You’re right, we really need to get him out of here.” She stands and concentrates for a moment. Aeryn floats up and she maneuvers herself underneath him so that he settles across both of her shoulders. “Let’s go.”
    Crowe nods as Paradox explains the limits of Zodiac's telepathy. That certainly explained why it was only when she was close by, and earlier today when she hadn't said anything until coming out of the water. Admittedly, Emi's range of her powers had him used to thinking of telepathy being the big replacement for bad comm signal. Just another thing that was different.

"Good to know, never got to ask her about that." He's torn from the thought as Aeryn coughed up blood. He didn't remember seeing Aeryn bleed before, but figured his blood color couldn't be much different from humans. At least, he thought so.

He stood up and watched as she lifted their friend and was ready to move. With a nod, he turned to lead on. Each time I see that, I'm reminded just how useful telekinesis is. Glad Mercury told me about those abilities.

"Somethin' comes back up, just keep on and I'll catch up." He keeps his eyes open as they make their way back out.

Spoiler: What's That?
    Show

Notice: 1d6o6+2 4 1d6o6+2 7

Danger Sense: 1d6o6 3 1d6o6 2
    OOC: Danger Sense is just in case.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Double Date:

Raphael frowns, puzzled at Stella's reaction, but says nothing as he scoots out of her way and watches her head toward the bar.

His frown deepens to a scowl when he spots Cassie head to the same spot. It'd be a little awkward and unfortunate if I had to break one of Ferris' toys after we were off to such a good start. His suspicion of those who were supposed to be his closest confidants rising to the surface again.

He sits back down, keeping one eye on Stella and watching to see whether Thaddeus or one of the other bartenders attends to her.

He slips his mask back on, reaching desperately for the irreverence and assurance he normally exuded and turns the rest of his attention back to John and Emilia.

"A... Kay.. Bee... Em...." Raphael says, trying to parse the acronym before the coin drops. "Oh! Kaiju Mega Brawl." He shrugs. "If we need an even number and we've got a buncha people doing it, sure, I'll play. I'm passable at it. I usually crawl into something a little more...." The vampire purses his lips, considering. "Somber? or maybe.... monochrome?" He says with a chuckle.

Spoiler: OOC/Mechanics/Whatnot
    Show
    Notice: 7 -1 from 2 Conditions = 6

21. - Top - End - #171

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    Double Date:Raphael slips his mask back on, reaching desperately for the irreverence and assurance he normally exuded and turns the rest of his attention back to John and Emilia.

"A... Kay.. Bee... Em...." Raphael says, trying to parse the acronym before the coin drops. "Oh! Kaiju Mega Brawl." He shrugs. "If we need an even number and we've got a buncha people doing it, sure, I'll play. I'm passable at it. I usually crawl into something a little more...." The vampire purses his lips, considering. "Somber? or maybe.... monochrome?" He says with a chuckle.
    John smiles. “Now that you mention it, I seem to recall some hulking, grim figure with a large axe in a vaguely medieval setting so dark as to be impenetrable on the screen when I passed through after bringing Sidney back. Even with the expert instruction I received,” John observed, “I can’t claim to be much more than a novice myself with Kaiju Mega Brawl — as if messing up the acronym had not made that clear enough.

He looked at Emi and smiled broadly, thinking back to Sunday night. “I had thought I had been doing passably well. Then I saw her play drake with her favorite character — if a castle can be called a character — and noted my error.”

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Double Date
    It was one of my mother’s most cherished necklaces, Emi replies. Her voice is back to it’s normal volume in John’s mind now that Stella has stepped away. My father gave it to her as a present for their first anniversary. He gave it to me to hold onto for her. I’ll happily return it to her when she’s back to her normal self.

She pauses, deciding on how much to reveal to John. She can’t have anything that she could try to hurt herself with, she finally says with an internal sigh. Her hand tightens around John’s for a moment before she regains her composure and rejoins the conversation at the table.

“I have had a couple years head start on you, John. You were doing very well for a complete beginner,” Emi says with a small shrug. “My brother and I would play often, and when Grayson and Zack found out we would have tournaments at the base several times a week. Keith joined in too when he joined the team.”

“I’ve done quite a few online tournaments as well,” Emi admits with a slightly embarrassed smile.

Over by the bar, Raphael sees that Thaddeus has come over to speak with Stella and Cassie. The tall, thin man has a wide smile on as he leans against the counter. After a few moments, he steps back and does a little show for the two as he makes a drink, flipping bottles and catching them.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-10 at 10:46 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

NinjaGuy

Q&A

None of the cops have made it to the kitchen yet. They seem to be more concerned with the drugs and guns in the living room. Louis manages to find the keys to the Monte Carlo sitting in a decorative metal plate on the counter. He also sees an open drawer that has dish towels in it. The countertop above is covered in handprints and streaks of LeoÂ’s blood. ThereÂ’s a phone lying on the floor below the drawer surrounded by large drops of blood.
    Louis casually pockets the keys to the Monte Carlo after finding them on the countertop. He frowns upon seeing the phone lying amidst the drops of blood. The hero reaches into his jacket pocket and dons his pair of black gloves before reaching into the open drawer for a dish towel. Louis picks up the phone with the towel then powers off the device and wraps it up inside of the cloth, depositing it in the vacant space inside of his jacket his gloves once occupied.

Louis finds both his and RykerÂ’s bikes where he left them. The ride to the main station takes about 20 minutes. He passes easily through security after he tells them who he is. The guard leads him to an open office space filled with desks. ThereÂ’s a few people working, and sitting at a desk close to one of the back offices is a woman with dark curly hair working at a laptop. ThereÂ’s a plaque that says Detective Monique Kreiger sitting at the end.
    "Afternoon Detective." Redline offers Krieger as he files into the office. "It's nice to be able to put a face to the name." He takes a seat in a vacant chair on the opposite side of the desk or borrows a chair from one nearby if there aren't any. "Thank you again for the help earlier today. So, what was it you wanted to know exactly?"

Bedside Manners

“I can understand that,” Izzy says, squeezing his hand. “People have done that with me too when I’m out performing. I mean, I’m sure it’s not the same as what you’ve gone through, but… you know what I mean."
    Louis nods slightly in affirmation and smiles softly. "Yeah, I do." He says, gently gliding his thumb across the back of her hand once.

She gives him a lopsided smile. “I’ve heard of you guys. You saved half the city from Panzer Protonik. With a little collateral damage… but that’s better than what could have happened.”
    "How's the saying go? 'There's no such thing as bad publicity?' West Side kinda took that to heart and ran away with it." He says with a shake of his head and stifled laughter.

“Ever the delivery boy, hmm?” she jokes. “I don’t mind riding with you.” She sobers a little as she looks into his eyes. “Thank you Louis. I really appreciate you being willing to take me home.”
    "Anytime..." He replies distantly, letting himself get lost in her gaze for a moment. Louis regains control of his senses after a few seconds and mentally prepares to get up and leave. He had to go but part of him was hesitant to leave Izzy by herself after everything that happened to her. The knowledge that he was partly responsible for that didn't help make the decision any easier.

"Alright, I've gotta get Ryker back to base explain what happened before heaven sends an angel to come and collect us. You gonna be okay here?" Alone. "I hear the jell-o's pretty mid." He finishes with a quick tilt of the the head and arched brow.
    Last edited by PK-Leon; 2022-10-11 at 10:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

OldWizardGuy

Double Date
    It was one of my mother’s most cherished necklaces, Emi replies. Her voice is back to it’s normal volume in John’s mind now that Stella has stepped away. My father gave it to her as a present for their first anniversary. He gave it to me to hold onto for her. I’ll happily return it to her when she’s back to her normal self.

She pauses, deciding on how much to reveal to John. She can’t have anything that she could try to hurt herself with, she finally says with an internal sigh. Her hand tightens around John’s for a moment before she regains her composure and rejoins the conversation at the table.
    John cradles her hand as she squeezes his. We’ll bring her back.

While a diamond necklace might be off the card for Christmas or her birthday, having one ready to celebrate her mother’s return might not be a bad move on his part.

Assuming he could pull all of this off. He hoped his lawyers had finalized the permissions he needed.

“I have had a couple years head start on you, John. You were doing very well for a complete beginner,” Emi says with a small shrug. “My brother and I would play often, and when Grayson and Zack found out we would have tournaments at the base several times a week. Keith joined in too when he joined the team.”

“I’ve done quite a few online tournaments as well,” Emi admits with a slightly embarrassed smile.
    “Did you have an online secret identity in the gaming community,” John teased gently, “or have you been publicly shaming those with fragile masculinities in these tournaments?”

Over by the bar, Raphael sees that Thaddeus has come over to speak with Stella and Cassie. The tall, thin man has a wide smile on as he leans against the counter. After a few moments, he steps back and does a little show for the two as he makes a drink, flipping bottles and catching them.
    John noted Raphael keeping half an eye on the bar, where Stella was having a drink mixed. Something tugged his eye to the dark haired woman next to her before his glance returned to Emi. There was a recognition of something there — although that could just as easily be interference from Stella’s curse or his own paranoia about potential interest from the men at the bar.

He had, in the abstract, expected a little territoriality on his part — given what was, to him, the high stakes of the relationship. The fact that this was, in many ways, his first serious relationship (not that he had ever not taken someone seriously) had left him a little at sea as to what he should be feeling.

Neither could he be sure if there was something he should be noting about the woman next to Stella or if the fact that there was now two of them meant that the pair of men at the bar could move on the two of them — something that would cause Raphael to move over there. Or they could use them as a gateway to approach their table.

What was it about her eyes when she smiled at him, John wondered as his thoughts scattered somewhat as his attention returned to her and his active mind recentered itself and calmed in her presence. He had considered their depth before — and how easily one could get lost in them — and the sparkle that joined the smile, as if seeing s deep, still lake in Maine reflecting the sparkle of the summer stars.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Manny
    The electricity crackles through the demon and falls to the ground, smoking. A second one skitters down from the same direction, attempting to escape from Wolf and Zodiac. It launches itself in a similar manner to the first one, but this time makes contact, latching onto Izulu’s left arm and crunching down.

Initiative:
    Jacks… the new centipede goes! It attacks Izulu for 12 damage!
    4s… Izulu has Initiative!

Keith
    “You know where you’re goin’?” Paradox asks Crowe as they attempt to make their way back. Parts of the tunnels look… similar, but they don’t seem to be getting any closer to the surface.

Louis
    Q&A
    “Redline, I presume,” the detective says as she looks up from her laptop. “Nice to meet you too. I was hoping you’d either fill out an incident report or give a verbal statement that I could record.”

She reaches into a drawer of her desk and pulls out a packet of paper that probably about ten pages thick and puts it in front of Louis and places a pen on top.

“If you’d rather do the verbal statement, that doesn’t bother me,” she says. “I’ll see if we can use an office.”

OOC: Detective Kreiger gains Influence over Louis!

Back at the Hospital
    Izzy’s expression turns to mock horror. “The jell-o? Mid? At a hospital? I never woulda guessed,” she finishes with a light laugh. “I’ll be okay, Louis. See you later,” she says with a soft smile.

In the lobby, Louis spots Ryker, now cleaned up of blood and with a new white shirt, and Iris standing several feet apart. The wound over Ryker’s eye is closed now. The two of them aren’t looking at each other, or speaking. Iris seems to be texting on her phone and Ryker is watching the news on the other side of the lobby.

Double Date
    “I do, actually,” Emi says. A slight flush appears on her face. “Can you imagine the field day the media would have if they found out that I play KMB? And can win tournaments?”

Over at the bar, two men farther down come up beside the ladies and start to talk to them.

From down the staircase, a man with long blonde hair that’s pulled back and a beard wearing a white dress shirt and a dark gray blazer enters the lounge.

Spoiler: Notice TN 8
    Show
    All of the waitstaff do a slight nod to him as he enters and do not make eye contact.

Spoiler: John- Occult TN 8
    Show
    This man is definitely a vampire. No doubt about it.

The man makes his way over to the bar and the two men that had been speaking with Stella and Cassie quickly retreat back to the other end of the bar. He smiles charmingly at Stella and says a few words to her before he takes Cassie firmly by the elbow and leads her to a table not far from where the band is playing.
    Last edited by InTheMachine; 2022-10-11 at 02:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

AssassinGuy

Keith
    “You know where you’re goin’?” Paradox asks Crowe as they attempt to make their way back. Parts of the tunnels look… similar, but they don’t seem to be getting any closer to the surface.
    Crowe looks around as they run and is confused. He was certain they had came by this way. As Paradox makes her question known, he shakes his head.

"Not gonna lie, thought we came back this way. Could have sworn it was a left then two rights, go straight, and another left." He scratches the back of his head with his hood down now looking around.

We did come back this way right? I know I'm not losing my mind. ****in' sewers...... If only he made some kinda marker on their way down.

He turns back to Paradox. "Somethin' doesn't seem right about this."

Spoiler: Crowe wracking his mind!
    Show

Smarts: 1d6o6 2 1d6o6 5 For Direction
    OOC: Well 5 again!
    An Illusion perhaps?
    Occult Knowledge: 1d6o6 3 1d6o6 4
    Assess the Situation: 2d6+2 7
    Question: How do we get out of here?
    Last edited by Roguewolf; 2022-10-11 at 02:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

GreataxeFighterGuy

Manny
    The electricity crackles through the demon and falls to the ground, smoking. A second one skitters down from the same direction, attempting to escape from Wolf and Zodiac. It launches itself in a similar manner to the first one, but this time makes contact, latching onto Izulu’s left arm and crunching down.

Initiative:
    Jacks… the new centipede goes! It attacks Izulu for 12 damage!
    4s… Izulu has Initiative!
    Izulu grits his teeth as the Demon Bites down on his forearm and surges his strength and power to his right arm for a decisive blow!

"Stay down." He say, continuing to make his way over to the Wolf and Yuki!

Spoiler: Right where I wanted.
    Show
    Attack 10
    Damage 30
    Izulu takes a wound. :(
    Last edited by HIDA; 2022-10-11 at 06:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178

OldWizardGuy

“I do, actually,” Emi says. A slight flush appears on her face. “Can you imagine the field day the media would have if they found out that I play KMB? And can win tournaments?”
    “Too implausible,” John says smiling and shaking his head. “Attractive women are too incapable of thought and skill to beat you average basement troll.”

Over at the bar, two men farther down come up beside the ladies and start to talk to them.
    Great, John thought, as he noted the two predators started to stalk their prey. The one more classically handsome — certainly more handsome than him — was taking point and his second, who was the better dressed (obviously trying to compensate) was following, ready to split the other woman off once the lead chose.

It was really depressing to watch. His own role as wingman to Manny had been more defensive than pack hunting. The women were willing to come to him and his job had been to warn him when they had removed engagement or wedding rings. He had learned some things from Manny about the social scene, but his own approach with women was so idiosyncratic that there was little to nothing John could apply to his own interactions with women. His looks and his attendant charm and confidence were too much a part of him for John to graft it over.

Of course, in this instance, all Raphael had to do was walk over and invite Stella back to the table for their approach to collapse and they would find themselves in competition for the one woman’s attention and the hunting pair would become rivals.

He found himself turning to the stairs for no reason. It only took a moment for him to see why when he saw the real potential threat descend the stairs.

From down the staircase, a man with long blonde hair that’s pulled back and a beard wearing a white dress shirt and a dark gray blazer enters the lounge.

Spoiler: Notice TN 8
    Show
    All of the waitstaff do a slight nod to him as he enters and do not make eye contact.

Spoiler: John- Occult TN 8
    Show
    This man is definitely a vampire. No doubt about it.

The man makes his way over to the bar and the two men that had been speaking with Stella and Cassie quickly retreat back to the other end of the bar. He smiles charmingly at Stella and says a few words to her before he takes Cassie firmly by the elbow and leads her to a table not far from where the band is playing.
    I am so glad I wasn’t the one who chose the location tonight, John thought with an odd sense of relief, given the situation.

At least it is more ‘interesting’ than Rene would be.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I hope it is more ‘interesting’ than Rene is tonight.

John quickly tallied the situation: The gentleman/creature (title to be determined — the firmness of the grasp on the young lady’s elbow does not bode well for that decision — although his fashion sense spoke well of him) that has entered the room is an older vampire — one he would want serious backup if push came to shove. When he and Montcrieff were hunting that poseur, the Occult Division had requisitioned a squad-sized strike team to be at the ready. He now had a better sense of what the old hands meant when they observed, with relief, that it was only a squad being put together.

The immediate retreat of the two young men could be explained by him exerting his will at some level or their recognition that they were outclassed at every level. Given what Montcrieff could do to strong men with the raising of a single eyebrow, he didn’t want to discount that possibility. Here, however, he was inclined to believe they were younger vampires who had not grown into their power sufficiently to be clearly marked by him when he had scanned the room a few moments ago.

He would have called Emi’s attention to him but he suspected she had already noticed him.

Not noticed noticed, he hoped.

Just noticed.

Focus, John.

The reaction of the staff and his reaction to them, however, was the most frightening thing about his presence. They were pearly deferential and he accepted that difference with something like noblesse oblige. But he had noted the distinction between the managers at Giorino’s and the padrone. Everyone knew that the night manager held a certain authority and power and might even speak on behalf of Momma Giorino. But they all held themselves a little differently when it was her.

The staff wasn’t holding themselves like that and, for all of his poise, he was conspicuously not putting on those airs.

He wasn’t the most powerful vampire associated with this establishment.

Mother Mary, preserve us.

He turned to Raphael. “Upper management, I gather?”

The only card John had to play was that if he pulled in his power, Harbinger would immediately know and recognize that he and Emi were in danger and would come looking for them. And the best he could hope for was that the vampire was sufficiently used to the awe he created in others that he had not even deigned to notice John’s attempts at casual observation and would chalk it up to an interest in what had occurred to someone who sat at his table.

Of course, he was sitting with another vampire, so that was not an entirely likely scenario. And while he might get away with being considered beneath notice, he was with Emi — something likely to attract notice.

Not noticed noticed, he again hoped.

Stay calm, John. Your Amulet may be keeping you from feeling fear but that doesn’t mean you can’t needlessly work yourself up. You need to limit that to your reactions to Emi. Your magic is not your greatest power. Your wits are. Keep them about you, pray that you just have the pleasant dinner you had planned, hope the corner booth isn’t built on a carousel that spins them into a back room, and keep telling yourself that everything will be fine.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Double Date:

Raphael turns his gaze towards Emilia. "A fellow Castle-Maniac eh?"

"Well. Now I'm feeling motivated." He says, making a show of cracking his knuckles. He says, rolling his eyes.... Which drops his gaze onto Stella and Cassie. His eyes bore into Cassie's back before he catches himself and turns his attention back to the conversation.

"I'm sure it's not all glowing, but it must be nice to have the media say nice things about you." Raphael says with a chuckle.

He follows John's gaze back to the stairs and tenses up. But it quickly bleeds out of him as he watches Feris purposefully guide Cassie away from Stella.

Raphael takes another sip of the cerulean bilge-water before answering his teammate. He looks John in the eyes and says "Part Owner, I think."

The vampire's eyes tell John that the newcomer is exactly what he thinks he is.

30. - Top - End - #180

NinjaGuy

Q&A

“Redline, I presume,” the detective says as she looks up from her laptop. “Nice to meet you too. I was hoping you’d either fill out an incident report or give a verbal statement that I could record.”

She reaches into a drawer of her desk and pulls out a packet of paper that probably about ten pages thick and puts it in front of Louis and places a pen on top.

“If you’d rather do the verbal statement, that doesn’t bother me,” she says. “I’ll see if we can use an office.”
    "The one and only," He answers, only realizing he'd inadvertently lied. Redline eyes the pile of paperwork Kreiger slides his way and considers his options. It only takes him a second or two to make his decision. "I think it would be easiest to offer a verbal statement."

Back at the Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy
    Izzy’s expression turns to mock horror. “The jell-o? Mid? At a hospital? I never woulda guessed,” she finishes with a light laugh. “I’ll be okay, Louis. See you later,” she says with a soft smile.
    Louis gets up from his seat, gently parting his hand from Izzy's. He backpedals twice then blinks over to the door. "Later," he says smiling back at Izzy over his shoulder before leaving the room and making his way back to the lobby.

In the lobby, Louis spots Ryker, now cleaned up of blood and with a new white shirt, and Iris standing several feet apart. The wound over Ryker’s eye is closed now. The two of them aren’t looking at each other, or speaking. Iris seems to be texting on her phone and Ryker is watching the news on the other side of the lobby.
    "Ya know I really feel like they passed up on a golden opportunity by releasing you in a white shirt instead of a red one." Louis says over the dialogue of the evening news. "Looks like Snowblood was able to patch you up good pretty though? She said told me you took a nasty hit to the head."