Following the Tactical Rock- Paper-Scissors in RPGs thread there was a lot of discussion and speculation around the practicality of Rock Paper Scissors interactions.

I have in fact written and published such a game and that game is Mannerism - a game about becoming a wizard to escape oppression.

The game has a few properties which I have set about making the most of.

1) Your description of your action is enough to resolve it. Once we know it's a test and the GM has locked in their Complication the player picks the manner best suited to their description.

2) Acting randomly is powerful. Because we don't want characters acting randomly all the time they are encouraged to choose by tying the advancement system to using specific manners, the character traits tied to specific manners being especially powerful and Madness coming into play for randomly played failure. Further the player is encouraged to think about the hazards their character faces and play to avoid them.

3) A player has 5 Manners, which really makes the games more like a Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock, but with a weak interaction and a strong one. Character stats come into play on a tie or a weak result which balances against the strong results where the character's stats aren't relevant.

4) You feel like you are being pulled between hiding yourself away and not letting anyone in and being true to yourself and using your best, but most predictable move. This conflict is explicitly the reason the setting's sorcerers are so evil.

5) Experience is the only metacurrency. Conflicts resolve strongly with no bidding or point spending. There's wiggle room in a tie or a partial success but they are rare with most results being Success or Complication.

Right now the game is PWYW for my birthday week!

Get Mannerism here!