New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dumb qs about the Blackguard's Fiendish Servant and Healer's Companion

Alright, so the blackguard gets a fiendish servant at 5th class level. The DMG says "a blackguard can call a fiendish bat, cat, dire rat, horse, pony, raven, or toad to serve him" (emphasis mine). By fiendish do they mean literally fiendish, i.e. the creature in question gets the Fiendish Creature template applied as well? Or is that just... they called it fiendish because it's metaphorically fiendish (being the servant of a blackguard)?

Similarly the healer's companion. They actually give a statblock for an example unicorn companion and you can clearly see it's got the Celestial Creature template. Is that only for the unicorn specifically, or do the "alternative celestial companions" also gain the Celestial Creature template?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dumb qs about the Blackguard's Fiendish Servant and Healer's Companion

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdtwin View Post
    Alright, so the blackguard gets a fiendish servant at 5th class level. The DMG says "a blackguard can call a fiendish bat, cat, dire rat, horse, pony, raven, or toad to serve him" (emphasis mine). By fiendish do they mean literally fiendish, i.e. the creature in question gets the Fiendish Creature template applied as well? Or is that just... they called it fiendish because it's metaphorically fiendish (being the servant of a blackguard)?

Similarly the healer's companion. They actually give a statblock for an example unicorn companion and you can clearly see it's got the Celestial Creature template. Is that only for the unicorn specifically, or do the "alternative celestial companions" also gain the Celestial Creature template?
    yes they get the appropriate template, celestial or fiendish.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Dumb qs about the Blackguard's Fiendish Servant and Healer's Companion

Okay cool, thanks. ...weird how their progressions give them SR when the template already gives them SR of the same type.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

That's propably because they based the gained abilities on those of the Paladin's special mount, which is explicitely called out as not having the Celestial Creature template, despite being from the celestial planes.