New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Wanted to share some story... also questions

D&D.

So. They are in the feywild. They plan to track down the Prince of Frost and kill him after they finish the side quest they're doing.

The PoF is currently on a campaign to freeze anything he likes and wants to keep, anything beautiful... basically, he's trying to take over the feywild and eventually the waking world, so that he will never lose something he loves again (his bride to be left him for a mortal). The queens of the Winter and Summer courts are both pissed at him and want him gone, but am action on either queen's part would incite war, which they do not want. The Wild Hunt has been called to find him, with no luck.

I know that this deserves like a whole campaign, but I'm going to limit their trek to find him to just a few sessions. That being said, I think that I don't want them to do a sneak into his castle deal, it'll take way too long. Also, it makes sense that he wouldn't be in his castle because he's hiding from the Hunt.

So i figure they will find someone frozen, and if they figure out a way to unfreeze them, this person will tell the party that PoF is not in his castle, but hidden in a secret place.

Who is the person they free? They are looking to make a deal with an arch fey to control the time dilation of the feywild when they leave, so perhaps it is an arch fey that got caught unawares by the PoF? But who? Or, since Pippi has history with Fionnghuala, perhaps the person is a swanmay that can connect them with Fionnghuala? I think the frozen person will be a swan may. I don't want it to be Fionnghuala because i don't want Pippi to have that conversation with her yet. But Fionnghuala is the deity of the swan mays, so a swan may makes sense.

How do they find the Prince of Frost's hideout?

What does his hideout look like?

Also, I want them to encounter an Oni... the party found the Eladrin city that most commonly crosses over to the material plane, while it was in the material plane. While they were inside, they wanted some souvenirs. I had them roll on the feywild trinkets table, and two of the items they got was an Oni mask, and a poorly drawn portrait of an Oni. It was so random to get two Oni things in a table of 100 possibilities. Then i was in a game store and saw the Oni figure, and bought it on a whim. So now they need to encounter an Oni. I think some pixies, in the midst of pranking the party, will set up the mask and drawing to try and earn the party of the Oni. Maybe after the Oni has joined them for some reason and is trying to delegate them so he can kill one and take their magic items. Does the Oni work for the PoF? Is the Oni, in human form, the person they free from the ice? Why was he frozen, if so? Is the Oni in a settlement, taking people at random and impersonating others? Or does the party encounter him on the road?
    Does the mask and drawing mean anything to him? If so, what? There's definitely going to be pranking pixies.

I think Oni in a settlement makes the most sense, and i think he does work for the PoF. The Prince has promised him some magic items. I don't know what the Oni is doing for him, though. Maybe an enforcer since the PoF is hiding from the Wild Hunt? But he'll find a reason to join the party as they leave the town. Then the pixies will try to warn the party by setting up the mask and drawing.

And Pippi's daughter. I've put an endive with her on the train encounters roll table, and if Pippi wants to search her out we can do that, too. I figure her daughter is now a young adult, and as she is not of either the feywild or the material plane and also of both, she acts as an emissary between courts and between the feywild and material plane, if needed.

What kind of fey woman was her other mother, the woman Pippi fell in love with? A nymph? Fairy? I'm thinking maybe the fey woman that is the child's other mother was maybe a nymph. Lots of reason for her to cross to the material plane and be an emissary.

How does the daughter feel about Pippi lacking her with Fionnghuala and running away from her grief? I guess a cold indifference is probably best. She never knew either of her mothers and was raised by an arch fey. She has no reason to hate or love her mothers, though it's possible she holds a bit of a grudge for Pippi essentially abandoning her.

What the heck is the daughter's name?

I have travel in the feywild set up a little weird to help make things go faster. It's based on emotions. So if their urgency is great enough, it can shorten journeys to places. They can also try to travel to people this way, but often you will only be brought to places where that person experienced great emotion. Archfey and some others are able to protect themselves from being found this way, though.

I think that the first time they attempt to travel to the PoF, they will probably focus on his castle more than *him*. This will bring them to the edge of his domain, as he would never allow someone to travel through his domain in that way. This is where they will find the swanmay, and get the information about his hideout.

Then i need to figure out what the rest of that journey looks like and how they find his hideout. :/

So much to do! Thanks for letting me ramble. If anyone has ideas for new, I'm open to them!
    Last edited by Monstrrr; 2022-09-14 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Wanted to share some story... also questions

There is a lot to unpack here. I'm going to sleep on this for a bit. I hope players are not waiting on us for it sounds like a concept of a story. It sounds silly and I mean that in a good way; like a fairytale.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Wanted to share some story... also questions

D&D.
    Not helpful at all. It would be better if you had given a setting name to go with like "Pathfider's Golarion"; which is the only setting I know without reference material in hand.

So i figure they will find someone frozen, and if they figure out a way to unfreeze them, this person will tell the party that PoF is not in his castle, but hidden in a secret place.

Who is the person they free? They are looking to make a deal with an arch fey to control the time dilation of the feywild when they leave, so perhaps it is an arch fey that got caught unawares by the PoF? But who? Or, since Pippi has history with Fionnghuala, perhaps the person is a swanmay that can connect them with Fionnghuala? I think the frozen person will be a swan may. I don't want it to be Fionnghuala because i don't want Pippi to have that conversation with her yet. But Fionnghuala is the deity of the swan mays, so a swan may makes sense.
    Why was this person frozen? The players might never learn but for a coherent narrative to unfold in front of them you, at least, must know.

Me? I'm thinking a good friend or a visitor to the court tried to talk him out of something. Is that something plot relevant? Who knows (you should; the players might ask) but our dear Prince was in no mood for pleasantries and froze them. Perhaps this was the good friend trying to warm his frozen heart before all went to frozen hell. Ice and darkness go well together so...a dark fay based on shadows and fear tried to descalate the situation?

Who is Pippi? Who is Fionnghuala and why is she in here?

How do they find the Prince of Frost's hideout?

What does his hideout look like?
    Good question! Depends on what the hideout looks like.

1. He stepped out to the lake near his castle and stepped through into the mirror castle and is hiding in plain sight.

2. He is with some winter hag allies and is sitting in a picturesque cottage that definitely isn't bigger on the inside than on the outside *wink*

3. Hideout? What hideout? In folklore one cannot outright hide from The Hunt. The Huntress will find you if she is looking for you. Expecting that he rides in a sleigh or even a boat. Perhaps multiple ones with multiple Princes? The objective is not to beat The Hunt but to outlast and achieve victory before being caught.

A great opportunity to include chase rules and other non combat mechanics.

What kind of fey woman was her other mother, the woman Pippi fell in love with? A nymph? Fairy? I'm thinking maybe the fey woman that is the child's other mother was maybe a nymph. Lots of reason for her to cross to the material plane and be an emissary.
    Is Pippi our Dear Prince? I'm getting confused here...

A Nymph (in some D&D settings) is actually a beauty elemental and is incapable of producing a child (and has about as much mobility as a dryad). While they can perform The Dirty Deed in every setting anything that diminishes her beauty will cause her to diminish as well. Unless it was especially rough it won't be harmful; it'll just leave her vulnerable.

I have travel in the feywild set up a little weird to help make things go faster. It's based on emotions. So if their urgency is great enough, it can shorten journeys to places. They can also try to travel to people this way, but often you will only be brought to places where that person experienced great emotion. Archfey and some others are able to protect themselves from being found this way, though.
    yeah... Kingmaker AP did something similar.

The more they learned of the place they were traveling to the easier it became.