New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Best weapon for Shadow Pounce build?

So this is referencing the Telljammer Shadowlord PrC. DM has allowed me to take this PrC without the Flesk requirements.

So the idea is simple; get a bunch of shadow hand manuevers, maybe take totemist 2 for Shadow Shirt, and proceed to telespam all over over the place, procking full attack actions as I go.

Problem is, I need a weapon. Most builds I see use TWF and Gloves of the Balanced Hand, but I’m uncertain if this is the best route. Personally, I’m leadinng towards the Spiked Chain for the discipline enchantments. Essentially when I teleport with a SH manuever, I’ll get +3 to the attacks. I will forgo one weapon attack by doing this instead of twf, but I’m only missing out on an extra d4-d6 worth of damage on an attack that’s at -7 unless I dip into Bloodclaw Master with daggers , which is also badass in its own right

Unarmed is out of the picture because of the scaling. I mean I guess I could dip into SS just enough to get that die to a d6 and call it there. Snap Kick and Roundhouse kick are pretty enticing, but I don’t know if unarmed can get a discipline item, nor if there is a way to help it overcome dr.

Another idea is the Falchion or Greatax. I forgo the discipline bonus, but don’t need EWP or a level in Exoticist to turn it on. Really, I only need Power Attack. Though the damage is roughly the same to the Spiked Chain unless I PA or crit with the falchion. A keen Falchion could be interesting, though I do not know if it is wise to go for keen weapons unless you’re building around them. Especially when that one enemy you’re fighting is immune to crits.

I think it’s best to avoid archery. That line is feat heavy as well and we already have a sniper. That and Idk how shadow pounce would function with ranged. I believe it should work as intended, but DM might side against it. That and if I choose to spec into dex instead of strength, I’m limited to a sling.

In regards to feats, DM is allow not one, not two, but THREE FRIGGING FLAWS!!! I’m planninng on going Human or Tiefling; one for darkstalker and the other for the +2 to dex and outsider type (DM is letting me use the LA+1 variant without the cost btw) For those of you who have been following along, I found another 3.5 game in tandem to my first one, and this level of play is MUCH harder than the latter. We have a Tone Dragon and a Nymph in the party, both full casters with 20 INT. So something tells me that I’m going to need those three flaws.

My array is 18, 17, 16, 16, 14, 12. I should have more than enough firepower to make the build work. So what weapons do you believe would help this build out?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Best weapon for Shadow Pounce build?

There's a weapon in the MM3 called the sand blaster. It's normally not that great due to a crappy reload time and general difficulty of use, but with a bit of optimization it becomes amazing.

Ignore the "returning" argument: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...n-Optimization

Use a Medium sand blaster to reduce ammo weight by x8, add one of the various self-loading/infinite ammo properties, and make the range as high as you can get it, and you can affect entire armies multiple times each turn. Use your teleporting (including some swordsage maneuvers for swift/move/standard action teleports, and DotU shadow cloak for immediate action teleports) to get into advantageous positions to make multiple full attacks each round on everyone, and you could potentially daze all of them, repeatedly.

And you don't even need Exotic Weapon Proficiency, either.

And then there's the gnome calculus: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...nome-Calculus!
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-09-22 at 12:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Of course there was a gun somewhere in the book that I could exploit.ord 3.5 is bloated lmao.

I’m afraid to touch that gnome calculus ****. I failed normal calculus lol

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UltraShiko View Post
    Of course there was a gun somewhere in the book that I could exploit.ord 3.5 is bloated lmao.
    It's basically an AoE blowgun that uses sand. It's under the sand giant entry.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraShiko View Post
    I’m afraid to touch that gnome calculus ****. I failed normal calculus lol
    No advanced math involved in the gnome calculus. It's a big sling that hurls potions, oils, and alchemical items.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-09-22 at 12:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spiked chain + Master of Chains PrC and you have both Spiked chain and TWF.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-09-22 at 06:42 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

If you're going to go the Falchion route, casting Dolorous Blow from SpC might save some money for other weapon enchantments instead of going the keen route.