New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Help with a 3rd party spell

Hey guys, I found this 3rd Edition spell in Green Ronin's Advanced Race Codex: Elves

Sacred Source

Transmutation
    Level: Druid 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: 10 ft./level-radius emanation
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    You tap into ancient wells of natural power, increasing the effectiveness of spells cast by elves or fey in the area. Although this spell can be quite powerful, elves and fey alike are careful with its use, as it temporarily drains the area of some of its magical essence each time it is cast.
    While sacred source lasts, any spell cast by elves or fey in the area is heightened as if under the effect of the Heighten Spell feat (though the spell’s level and casting time do not change). This affects only spells, not spell-like abilities or magic items created within the area. Once cast, sacred source cannot be cast successfully again within 1 mile of the origin point of a previous sacred source spell for 1 week after the previous spell expires. During this time, any attempt to cast the spell fails, and the spell is lost.
    Material Component: A small tree wrought from silver worth 50 gp.

I like the spell for its flavour, even though it probably isn't that good. But here is the thing: the spell's rules and those of the Heightened Spell feat obviously don't work together as Heightened Spell says "prepare a spell in a higher spell slot, then it counts as a spell of that level" while Sacred Source says "spell counts as heightened, even though it's actual level doesn't change".

So by how much would you let spells in the area be heightened? One? the Sacred Source caster's maximum spell level? Other?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Help with a 3rd party spell

Quote Originally Posted by eBarbarossa View Post
    Hey guys, I found this 3rd Edition spell in Green Ronin's Advanced Race Codex: Elves

Sacred Source

Transmutation
    Level: Druid 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: 10 ft./level-radius emanation
    Duration: 1 hour/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    You tap into ancient wells of natural power, increasing the effectiveness of spells cast by elves or fey in the area. Although this spell can be quite powerful, elves and fey alike are careful with its use, as it temporarily drains the area of some of its magical essence each time it is cast.
    While sacred source lasts, any spell cast by elves or fey in the area is heightened as if under the effect of the Heighten Spell feat (though the spell’s level and casting time do not change). This affects only spells, not spell-like abilities or magic items created within the area. Once cast, sacred source cannot be cast successfully again within 1 mile of the origin point of a previous sacred source spell for 1 week after the previous spell expires. During this time, any attempt to cast the spell fails, and the spell is lost.
    Material Component: A small tree wrought from silver worth 50 gp.

I like the spell for its flavour, even though it probably isn't that good. But here is the thing: the spell's rules and those of the Heightened Spell feat obviously don't work together as Heightened Spell says "prepare a spell in a higher spell slot, then it counts as a spell of that level" while Sacred Source says "spell counts as heightened, even though it's actual level doesn't change".

So by how much would you let spells in the area be heightened? One? the Sacred Source caster's maximum spell level? Other?
    As far as I can tell the spell does nothing! However, it might be, that it allows you to act as if you had the heightened spell metamagic feat, but without increasing level. This interpretation is likely unbalanced, but I can’t see it working any other way.

In reality they probably thought heightened spell did something like empower spell or extend spell, and not have the dynamic nature as it does!

Is short, it’s broken! As in, the mechanics doesn’t work!
    Last edited by Melcar; 2022-09-22 at 11:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Given that it's a 2nd-level spell which lasts 1 hour/level and affects multiple people, allowing it to Heighten up to your maximum spell level seems way too powerful. I'd probably say one level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

This seems pretty powerful, but more like an out-of-combat or defensive spell. Casting time is 1 minute, and the emanation is kind of small. So those are some pretty big limitations, even on something that would give free Heighten. You'd want to cast it if you know something's coming towards you, not when you're about to attack something else. So, something to cast at camp, or for an NPC who knows the players are going to attack them soon.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2022-09-22 at 02:06 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

I second limiting it to "+1 spell level" , more or less reword the effect to "increase the DC of all spells casts by elves and fey by 1"

A note on range/area : sadly by the rules to spell can affect anything outside it's range, so that 10ft/level radius "caps out" at the 25+5/2 level range, which is a shame but is what it is

6. - Top - End - #6

Chimera

Either this does nothing or lets anyone heighten a spell to either what their maximum CL allows/9th level for free. Those are the only interpretations that make sense. That is a pretty big buff to save DC of it’s the latter.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-09-22 at 04:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would say it heightens it to whatever level they are capable of casting. Its powerful but with the long cast time you would have to use it in say an ambush or in defense of a location that you know is going to be attacked.