New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Upcoming games you’re excited for?

Silksong is at the very top of my list. Hollow Knight is such an amazing game, and Hornet is one of my favourite side characters in it. I hope it can live up to the hype.

I am also tentatively excited about the whispers of a new Little Big Adventure game, as LBA 2 holds a very, very special place in my heart. Though we know so little about the project that I don't really know whether I should be excited or nervous.

While not really a full game, I'm very excited about the Lost Lands DLC for Tales of Maj'Eyal, although we don't really know how far off that is. But it sounds like it will provide quite a bit more content than the last DLC we had, so I'm hoping it can inject some more energy into one of my all-time favourite games.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    I am also tentatively excited about the whispers of a new Little Big Adventure game, as LBA 2 holds a very, very special place in my heart. Though we know so little about the project that I don't really know whether I should be excited or nervous.
    This is the first I've heard about that, but I immediately share your excitedness and/or nervousness. I must've played through Little Big Adventure 2 roughly a billion times when I was a kid (and the first game like four times, it had some annoying parts. Like hurting yourself by running into things).
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2022-09-23 at 04:51 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm hopeful for Diablo 4, even though Diablo Immortal dampened that enthusiasm considerably.

What I'm really looking forward to are a trifecta of space horror games - The Dead Space remake, Callisto Protocol from the original creator, and spiritual successor Negative Atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Getting too deep in the sauce is bad, for sure, but it's not healthy to push down your excitement for stuff. Good way to just decide you're not into gaming anymore at all because you're too anti-hype.
    Nah, I still enjoy gaming. I've just been burned way too many times on hype. I don't think a game I've been hyped up for has actually delivered since like...Burning Crusade maybe? Which doesn't mean there haven't been good, or even great games, just that they usually come as a pleasant surprise. If I had to give a list of my favorite games like Subnautica, Terraria, etc none of them had major hype before release.

Sekiro was great and also mainstream, but I didn't really enjoy Dark Souls (bad controls aren't "difficulty" Fromsoft, they're just bad controls) so I was pleasantly surprised by that one too.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-09-23 at 01:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Not a game in and of itself, but I'm pretty hyped for this new RTX Remix tool. If it works as promised, it will be incredibly useful for fan-remastering of many classic titles.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Most of the games I've been excited for lately just came out, so for now I can only name Ys 10. Which probably is still a few years off, but still. I love that series, and it has been consistently great for almost 20 years and 6 entries now.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Uhm, big Cyberpunk DLC. I may be like the one person in the world who really liked Cyberpunk 2070. Playing it like a year after release probably helped, but I did.
    It seems to have had something of a rehabilitation in reputation lately, and a lot of people have started playing it after the recent Netflix series. Personally, I started playing it this summer and liked it pretty well and a lot more than I expected, though I haven't quite finished it yet. So I'm vaguely looking forward to the DLC also, but avoiding any information about it until I actually finish the main game.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

There is an upcoming PS5 exclusive: Stellar Blade, formerly known as Project Eve.

The visuals look stunning, as does the combat. Getting some Nier Automata vibes from this one, and that’s not a bad thing.

9. - Top - End - #39

DruidGuy

Haven't been paying a lot of attention to what is coming out of late but there are a couple on my radar.

1) Victoria 3. I've generally liked most Paradox games and this one looks interesting.

2) Terra Invicta. Made by the people behind the Long War for X-com. You lead one of 7 ideological factions dealing with the crash landing off a UFO on Earth, initially dealing overtly or covertly with the nations of Earth, trying to bring them under your control while investigating the aliens and what they want, before leaving Earth and spreading through the solar system and engaging in fleet battles. Fight the aliens, submit to the aliens, try and learn from the aliens or just try to flee Earth? Sounds large and complex.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

They are, but it's not looking good. On the one hand, Za/um seems to be hiring a lot of people. On the other, Robert Kurvitz (lead writer), Helen Hindpere (Final Cut lead writer) and Alexander Rostov (concept artist/art director) all seem to have more or less quietly left the company.

Around the time Za/Um rebranded from"experimental art collective" to "full time game company".
    Wow, that's really bad news, as far as gaming news go. Didn't know that.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

Star Citizen if it's ever released and as for board games Frosthaven!

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateGirl

I meant unrelated to the other sequels. As in, thrre's several lines of SC2 sequels now made by different people.
    Ah, I see. I'm unfamiliar with the more recent game released, but as far as SC3 goes, it was rather underwhelming on expanding the lore. The Orz should've been a greater/primary threat or remained a vaguely sinister ally and the backstory of the Vux was just dumb. As far as the Ur-quan Kzer-za becoming enthusiastic allies after the war, I could see that part happening. But the blackface bit was too far.
    They are, but it's not looking good. On the one hand, Za/um seems to be hiring a lot of people. On the other, Robert Kurvitz (lead writer), Helen Hindpere (Final Cut lead writer) and Alexander Rostov (concept artist/art director) all seem to have more or less quietly left the company.

Around the time Za/Um rebranded from"experimental art collective" to "full time game company".
    Ouch. Having main creative staff leaving between projects seems to just be how the game industry works, but usually the company's idea of their 'brand' and some of the staff who worked on prior projects can get the company to put out similar stuff for a while. Hopefully whoever's left behind can at least put out something of similar quality and the creatives who left can get some other thing going.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Just saw a trailer for Homeworld III.

I loved Homeworld, and Cataclysm was awesome (although some of the dialog and voice acting could have used some work). Then they came out with Homeworld II. The graphics were fantastic, the story was ridiculous, and the gameplay was atrocious.

Homeworld III looks beautiful. I just hope they've got the story and gameplay to back it up.
    I still have to finish the first one. Never got past the ship graveyard.

Homeworld 3 is really the only game I am aware of being in development. I really don't have a clue about what people are working on these days. I still have at least a dozen games lined up that are going on 20 years old and beyond that I either never finished yet or want to do a fourth playthrough off.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I really don't have a clue about what people are working on these days. I still have at least a dozen games lined up that are going on 20 years old and beyond that I either never finished yet or want to do a fourth playthrough off.
    This thread kind of made me realize that this is the case for me too. While I do play a new game on occasion, it's usually because I stumbled onto it somehow than started looking forward to it before it was even finished.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I still have to finish the first one. Never got past the ship graveyard.
    You want a wolfpack of heavy corvettes with repair corvette support. Fighters don't last long enough, and anything frigate-sized or larger gets grabbed.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

16. - Top - End - #46
    Banned

I'm currently waiting for Fire Emblem: Engage.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Spamalot in the Playground

Having revisited Baldurs Gate 3 early access to help scratch my between-sessions D&D 5e itch, I'm excited for that too. Especially the floodgate of mods that will inevitably bring non-core races and classes and 1D&D improvements to their base game

I especially can't wait for the DMing tools!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

There are a lot of amazing games coming to PC this year and I can't wait to play them.
    Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Warhammer 40,000: Darktide.

Mini Militia App Lock
    Last edited by avensis; 2022-11-26 at 11:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to be super into Darktide once it's out... But I'm not getting it on release day. Much as I love the Vermintide series, I remember what they were like before the first couple of hotfixes.

For games I will try on release day, I'm thinking of Scorn. It'll be on the Game Pass, so even if it turns out to be too disturbing for me, I won't lose anything for trying it.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    I'm going to be super into Darktide once it's out... But I'm not getting it on release day. Much as I love the Vermintide series, I remember what they were like before the first couple of hotfixes.
    The funny thing is, I started to lose interest in Vermintide after the first few release patches. "Balancing" a lot of the enemy spawns legitimately sucked a lot of the fun out of the game. I've played much more sporadically since they "fixed" stuff like Chaos Warrior troops spawning.

I think about half of my current playtime is in beta and 1.0 builds.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-10-11 at 06:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hope I'll be able to snag Persona 5 Royal once it's released on PC, assuming it's not immediately banned for my region.
    Next in line are leftovers and continuation of Kiseki/Trails series.

I'm also eyeing Paradiso Guardians, although that's not so much "upcoming" as "maybe, one day, possibly".

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    2) Terra Invicta. Made by the people behind the Long War for X-com. You lead one of 7 ideological factions dealing with the crash landing off a UFO on Earth, initially dealing overtly or covertly with the nations of Earth, trying to bring them under your control while investigating the aliens and what they want, before leaving Earth and spreading through the solar system and engaging in fleet battles. Fight the aliens, submit to the aliens, try and learn from the aliens or just try to flee Earth? Sounds large and complex.
    I came to this thread to mention Terra Invicta.
    I've learned about this game only a couple of months ago, but it was something like love on first sight. It seems to be that grand strategy game that I've been waiting for for my entire life
    I was actually pipedreaming for about a decade now about a solar system based SciFi strategy game that instead of giving the player some god-like power over some faction the player acts by influencing social, political and technological developments, with the technology having a very grounded "NASA"-style to it while also featuring exicting SciFi action. You can imagine how my eyes began to widen when I discovered Terra Invicta. While it is not a 100% fit it is frightingly close to the game I had envisioned.

So yes, I'm very much looking foreward to the full release
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2022-10-16 at 05:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

They have released the trailer for the upcoming Silent Hill 2 Remake. The trailer looks incredible and I hope they stick to what made the original so memorable.

No release date yet, but it is a PS5 exclusive.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

I got into the Darktide beta, which confirmed that I'm making a sensible decision to wait a little while after launch before getting it. At first I was disappointed by the feel of the combat, then it hit me that I needed to compare the experience to playing a level 1 Vermintide character with default gear, and my impression became much more charitable. The game's still going to have issues, but then, Fatshark are the kind of devs who are still adding major new modes to a game they released four years ago, so I'm sure most of the things I had problems with are going to be solved.

There's just one aspect of the base design that worries me. Vermintide had excellent enemy designs, that made it easy to identify what you were up against at a glance, or with a moment of sound cues. Darktide's various enemy types are lethally hard to pick out of the crowd, both because there's much more variety in the ordinary minions, and because the elites and specials don't stand out enough. In Vermintide, you'd never be taken by surprise unless you weren't paying attention, or if a literal ninja rat teleported onto you. Here, you can unexpectedly run into dangerous enemy types without realizing it, which isn't what I expect after all my Vermintide experience. Here's hoping they make the major enemies stand out more in the live game...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I noticed that. A consequence of "elites" in Darktide just being dudes with more dangerous guns. Took me several runs to figure out the guys with shotguns were supposed to be elites.

The grim darkness of the 41st millennium is so deep you can't even see what you're doing properly.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

I want some more Twisted Metal. The last installment was just so good.

Also looking forward to the next God of War installment. Trying not to watch too many (oh, all this stuff has been revealed) videos because the immersion I felt while playing the most recent one and experiencing the story as the game presented it was very nice.

Alternatively, I’ve watched plenty of videos on Hogwarts Legacy because I wanted to learn about what each house would look like and perhaps gain an insight to what the differences might be (even though I know exactly where I’m going).
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    They have released the trailer for the upcoming Silent Hill 2 Remake. The trailer looks incredible and I hope they stick to what made the original so memorable.

No release date yet, but it is a PS5 exclusive.
    Timed console exclusive - one year on PS5 and PC only.

Personally, the other two Silent Hill games announced at the same time interest me more. I never put SH2 on nearly the same pedestal as others (though it is a perfectly fine game), preferring 1 and 3.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Silent Hill 2 does have the benefit of being the only standalone game in the franchise that doesn't suck, though. Makes it the easiest to remaster.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Just watched the Resident Evil showcase. They presented things the fans already had seen, like the upcoming DLC for Village, Shadows of Rose and the sleepy title, RE Verse, which pits well known characters against each other in battle maps. Then they showed the brand new trailer for RE 4 Remake…

There might be a reason why Konami chose to show Silent Hill 2 a day earlier. This new RE entry blows the other out if the water on first impressions. It seems to have everything the fans wanted and from what I could see and take…

You can parry a chainsaw with your knife. That’s pre order material right there.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Haven't been paying a lot of attention to what is coming out of late but there are a couple on my radar.

1) Victoria 3. I've generally liked most Paradox games and this one looks interesting.

Have you played Terra yet? Seems like afew people I know bounced off the first few hours.