New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Upcoming games you’re excited for?

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Fan View Post
    Not officially announced, only rumors, but I am looking forward to Resident Evil 9. I don't know what it would be about, but I think the recent RE games have been pretty solid. I wonder what direction they would go in. The last two went in their own direction, but seeing a game that goes back to the main sort of storyline would make sense I think.
    Many fans are asking for a return of Jill & Claire to RE9. Jill has been gone canonically since RE5, so it’s been awhile.

Officially, there’s RE4 Remake coming out in March, which many are eagerly anticipating.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    Many fans are asking for a return of Jill & Claire to RE9. Jill has been gone canonically since RE5, so it’s been awhile.
    And Jill hasn't been PLAYABLE in a new canon game since RE 3. Even Claire has had a slightly more recent canonical, playable appearance.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    And Jill hasn't been PLAYABLE in a new canon game since RE 3. Even Claire has had a slightly more recent canonical, playable appearance.
    I believe Revelations, which takes place after RE4 and before RE5, is canonical. And Jill is the protagonist there, for the most part.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I believe Revelations, which takes place after RE4 and before RE5, is canonical. And Jill is the protagonist there, for the most part.
    Is she? I actually haven't played those. They're in my Steam library but I've never been sure whether they're considered good or not.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Is she? I actually haven't played those. They're in my Steam library but I've never been sure whether they're considered good or not.
    They certainly are. And they serve to bridge the gap between RE4, 5 & 6.

The Revelations games are split into episodes- much like a tv show. In a time where RE was more action focused, these titles take us back to claustrophobic environments, tight corridors and little ammunition.

The first entry has you play as Jill, investigating a haunted cruise ship in the Mediterranean.

The second entry focuses on Claire and Barry, as they seek to unravel the mystery behind an old Umbrella employee.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Spamalot in the Playground

Jill is also playable in RE5's DLCs, Desperate Escape (concurrent with RE5's events) and Lost In Nightmares (prequel). Chronologically though, Revelations is the last time we've seen her in the overall plot.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2022-12-15 at 08:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Jill is also playable in RE5's DLCs, Desperate Escape (concurrent with RE5's events) and Lost In Nightmares (prequel). Chronologically though, Revelations is the last time we've seen her in the overall plot.
    I had forgotten about those DLCs. Lost in Nightmares introduces a fun new enemy you have to outwit rather than fight head on. And Desperate Escape throws everything at you in the final act, while waiting to be rescued.

I certainly would recommend Revelations, though. Especially if you like the more classic RE games. The enemy designs are very good, too.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2022-12-16 at 03:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

I saw a random YouTuber play Dredge over the holidays. I got excited, because it looked like it was worth checking out and Steam has one of their sales going. Then I found out it doesn’t even come out until next year and the demo said YouTuber was playing is closed presently. Frustrating!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm counting down the days until Fire Emblem Engage comes out. Two and a half weeks now.

The only other game I'm waiting on is Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It comes out four days before my birthday in May.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I'm hoping Engage is good.

I'm not super enthused about the art style though, it's very vtuber (because that's what the character designer usually does). Toothpaste-kun's design bothers me most, not just the hair colours but the fact that their bangs make an X in the middle of their forehead. Yes yes, I know it's a crossover but that's a step too far.

They're giving me Corrin vibes as well, the protag unit is always better when they're a deuteragonist not the specialest of the snowflakes.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2023-01-02 at 02:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

After being somewhat underwhelmed by The Callisto Protocol, I am looking forward to the Dead Space Remake, coming out later this month.

The original game nailed the gripping tension of sci-fi/horror aboard the Ishimura. Here’s hoping they can replicate and enhance said experience.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Very looking forward to Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (FromSoftware). My brother and I have played every installment of the series and this got us really excited. I started a thread with some of my thoughts on the entire series.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

13. - Top - End - #103
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am incredibly excited for Spider Man 2 to come out. Both the first one and Miles Morales were excellent games, so I have high hopes for the sequel.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

14. - Top - End - #104
    Spamalot in the Playground

Whelp, I got to play Callisto Protocol and was immensely disappointed. There are bad design decisions all over that thing, between the weird Punch-Out minigame for melee, the complete inability to heal during combat, the need to stay in the menu and stand around during audiologs, the lackluster enemy and weapon design, no objective markers etc. Thankfully I rented it rather than buying; I guess the Dead Space remake is my main hope now.

I certainly would recommend Revelations, though. Especially if you like the more classic RE games. The enemy designs are very good, too.
    I've beaten both Revelations games. (Rev2 bringing back Barry and Claire was pretty fun, but man did I hate the dodge mechanics in those titles.)

RE2Make is still the pinnacle of the franchise's third-person mechanics imo, though I haven't tried the third-person remaster of 8 yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Fire Emblem Engage comes out tomorrow! I'm super excited; I don't have any 24hr stores that sell games near me, so I'll be picking up a physical copy at 6am when my local Walmart opens (I prefer physical copies to digital ones). I'm planning to get the DLC too, since Wave 1 includes several useful things (Silver Card, Emblem that boosts stat growth, Emblem that boosts EXP gain). Going to bed early tonight so I'll be rested enough to start playing as soon as I get the game.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Fire Emblem Engage comes out tomorrow! I'm super excited; I don't have any 24hr stores that sell games near me, so I'll be picking up a physical copy at 6am when my local Walmart opens (I prefer physical copies to digital ones). I'm planning to get the DLC too, since Wave 1 includes several useful things (Silver Card, Emblem that boosts stat growth, Emblem that boosts EXP gain). Going to bed early tonight so I'll be rested enough to start playing as soon as I get the game.
    I live in Australia so I picked up my copy this morning. Have to wait for work to end, but I am super excited. We should probably start a FE thread again... Maybe with the title: "If you like it, put a ring on it"?

:P
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I live in Australia so I picked up my copy this morning. Have to wait for work to end, but I am super excited. We should probably start a FE thread again... Maybe with the title: "If you like it, put a ring on it"?

:P
    I was thinking some kind of Star Trek reference myself. "Fire Emblem: Engage, Number One!"

Going to be picking my copy up after work tomorrow, though I may delay starting it a day in order to wrap up Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope. I am oddly in a place where I'm both more excited for it and more worried about it than I ever have been with a Fire Emblem game before. And it's entirely Three Houses' doing. I'm more excited than normal because Three Houses was so much better than I expected it to be, which therefore raises my hopes for the series going forward; and I'm worried because what (admittedly little) I do know about Engage makes me think it's more likely than not to fall back down to more the series' standard level. Which is still good, mind you, but still, to get that taste of greatness only for it to be a one-off is a bittersweet possibility, even if one I've always known was entirely likely.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I was thinking some kind of Star Trek reference myself. "Fire Emblem: Engage, Number One!"

Going to be picking my copy up after work tomorrow, though I may delay starting it a day in order to wrap up Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope. I am oddly in a place where I'm both more excited for it and more worried about it than I ever have been with a Fire Emblem game before. And it's entirely Three Houses' doing. I'm more excited than normal because Three Houses was so much better than I expected it to be, which therefore raises my hopes for the series going forward; and I'm worried because what (admittedly little) I do know about Engage makes me think it's more likely than not to fall back down to more the series' standard level. Which is still good, mind you, but still, to get that taste of greatness only for it to be a one-off is a bittersweet possibility, even if one I've always known was entirely likely.
    The reviews seem to indicate that it is way more similar to Awakening and Echoes then it is to Three Houses. I love(d) Awakening even if the story was not great and you could predict it from chapter one. I don't think we're getting a complex story and character relations but if the rest of the game is good I think we're in for a treat.

And yes I was very sceptical too when I saw the first trailer...Toothpaste- kun's design is ummm not good.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Finally, a Fire Emblem for the N-gage!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

The reviews seem to indicate that it is way more similar to Awakening and Echoes then it is to Three Houses. I love(d) Awakening even if the story was not great and you could predict it from chapter one. I don't think we're getting a complex story and character relations but if the rest of the game is good I think we're in for a treat.
    That's precisely what I mean, though. I can't speak to Echoes (skipped it since Shadow Dragon left me with the impression that remakes of the really old games weren't likely to be that worth playing), but while I like Awakening and consider it quite good, it's still ultimately just another typical Fire Emblem game to me, just with the time-traveling twist and kids generation added in. The massive jump in writing quality is the main thing that puts Three Houses head and shoulders over the rest of the franchise IMO - they did some good stuff with the gameplay too, don't get me wrong, but writing was always the series' biggest deficiency, just being kind of average fantasy fare most of the time, and Three Houses elevated it way past that, both in the story and the character dynamics. Dropping back down to the series' standard there means we're back to it being a series you mostly just play for the gameplay, rather than having both strong gameplay and writing. That's where the disappointment comes in.

It's like if Dragon Quest suddenly put out a game where the writing jumped up to near-Persona levels of quality, only to go right back to normal in the next one. I like Dragon Quest, but I couldn't help but lament that brief greatness was just a one-off, rather than the series being elevated to a new, higher standard.

Assuming those reports about the game are true, anyway. Who knows, maybe it'll surprise us again. I'd like it to, I just don't know that I can expect it to.

And yes I was very sceptical too when I saw the first trailer...Toothpaste- kun's design is ummm not good.
    Aye, that doesn't help either.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Release date for Dredge has been announced!

Spoiler: Adventures in Helnith
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post

:O

At the beginning I was like nah that looks lame.

By the end, I was intrigued.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

23. - Top - End - #113

There's a new playable demo out for the System Shock remake on Steam.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2023-02-11 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking forward to picking up Etrian Odyssey 3 HD when i get the chance.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Looking forward to picking up Etrian Odyssey 3 HD when i get the chance.
    Same. It's already on the Steam store, upcoming in June.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post

Splattercatgaming did a short video about Dredge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm0Ww59R-sg

I only skimmed through the video but I got a better idea of what kind of game this will be. My interest is definitely piqued

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Rough Justice: '84

A neon-noir story with Synthwave music.

It's like, I have these buttons to push, and this games just hits them all.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Paradox have already done their version of Simcity with Cities: Skylines (and soon Cities: Skylines 2), but now they are going to be doing their version of The Sims as well. Life by You. Will have to keep an eye out on it, but it seems you will have far, far more control on everything than in The Sims.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

I loved the first game, so I'm excited for Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. A new gameplay trailer just dropped, and it looks amazing.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    I loved the first game, so I'm excited for Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. A new gameplay trailer just dropped, and it looks amazing.
    I just saw it. It does look amazing. And the game comes out 4 days before my birthday, so it's like a birthday present from Nintendo.