New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Upcoming games you’re excited for?

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Silent Hill 2 does have the benefit of being the only standalone game in the franchise that doesn't suck, though. Makes it the easiest to remaster.
    Even if you exclude Origins-1-3 due to them all being related to the same story (though the connection of Origins (which is pretty decent, much better than the reputation it gets) is tenuous), Silent Hill 4 is completely standalone. And SH4 is probably a perfect remaster candidate, because it had a lot of good ideas, but clearly ran out of dev time and fumbled the execution.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

And now P5R is out in Steam, and of course it's region locked. *sigh*

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I noticed that. A consequence of "elites" in Darktide just being dudes with more dangerous guns. Took me several runs to figure out the guys with shotguns were supposed to be elites.

The grim darkness of the 41st millennium is so deep you can't even see what you're doing properly.
    I was seriously expecting better from Fatshark than having to pick out the elites by jamming on the Tag button while looking at a group of enemies and hoping someone gets highlighted. All of the enemies in Vermintide have glowing eyes, at least give us that much to work with here...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sigako View Post
    And now P5R is out in Steam, and of course it's region locked. *sigh*
    What region are you in where it's not available?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    You can parry a chainsaw with your knife. That’s pre order material right there.
    I had to look that up after seeing this comment, and found this.

I don't think I'm getting the game, not a survival horror guy, never got into Resident Evil, but I definitely liked that.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    What region are you in where it's not available?
    Russia. Sony prohibited to sell any of its products here, games included.
    At least I still can play the games I already bought, but it's still frustrating.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I had to look that up after seeing this comment, and found this.

I don't think I'm getting the game, not a survival horror guy, never got into Resident Evil, but I definitely liked that.
    I'd at least consider playing it. A few of the Resident Evil games are basically just action games/third person shooters where the only horror element is the fact that the monsters are gross and ugly. RE 4 was the first off these, with RE 8 being the only mainline game like this. Both are very good, and unlike 8 there's no particular plot you need to really know going into 4 save that Leon was one of the two protagonists of Resident Evil 2, he used to be a Raccoon City police officer, there was a zombie apocalypse localized to RC, and the city got nuked to contain it.

I actually think all of that is explained in a recap at the start of RE 4 lol, but I actually never got the chance to play it. I never got it when it was new and for some reason the Steam version doesn't run properly. It's the only mainline RE game I've never played any of (though TBF I bailed out of RE 6 very quickly too; what an awful game).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm keeping tabs on Street Fighter VI and Midnight Suns pretty much. I don't plan on getting new hardware anytime soon.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

I'd at least consider playing it. A few of the Resident Evil games are basically just action games/third person shooters where the only horror element is the fact that the monsters are gross and ugly. RE 4 was the first off these, with RE 8 being the only mainline game like this. Both are very good, and unlike 8 there's no particular plot you need to really know going into 4 save that Leon was one of the two protagonists of Resident Evil 2, he used to be a Raccoon City police officer, there was a zombie apocalypse localized to RC, and the city got nuked to contain it.

I actually think all of that is explained in a recap at the start of RE 4 lol, but I actually never got the chance to play it. I never got it when it was new and for some reason the Steam version doesn't run properly. It's the only mainline RE game I've never played any of (though TBF I bailed out of RE 6 very quickly too; what an awful game).
    You are correct: RE4 was the first game in the franchise to deviate from the fixed camera angles & tank controls from its predecessors. This was huge and would reshape future RE titles in years to come, for good or ill.

The game does an entire recap of RE 1 - 3 in the first minute, so you don’t have to play those (although the 2002 remake, along with the 2019 remake, are absolute gems). After that, it’s a one man army in some remote village in Spain. There is action, but tempered with truly horrific moments, reason why the game was so successful.

Later we get RE5 & RE6. A lot of fun if you like coop games and shooting monsters with a Michael Bay backdrop of over the top explosions. There is no horror there, just ugly monsters and lots of guns and QTE.

Then we return to form with RE7. Claustrophobic environments. First person view. Very little in the way of resources and a heavy emphasis on survival horror and body horror as well. This isn’t a guy punching boulders and round house kicking zombies: this is a guy with no hand who wants to escape a crazy family.

RE8 or Village gives us action again. We got guns- lots of guns. Lots of things to shoot at as well. But like in RE4, I believe they managed to find a balance between the gun toting action and genuine feelings of dread & isolation.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I kinda mangled my sentence apparently. I'd meant to say 8 was the only other GOOD game pf that style, jot rhe only one. Though 5 is fun in its own way.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

I'd at least consider playing it. A few of the Resident Evil games are basically just action games/third person shooters where the only horror element is the fact that the monsters are gross and ugly.
    Third-person shooters aren't really my thing either, with the sole exception of Mass Effect. In which I the biotic/tech powers as extensively as possible over the shooting.

No, I know my own tastes, and Resident Evil isn't for me, I'm quite confident of that. It's just that anything that can evoke echoes of Metal Gear Rising will at least get a smile out of me.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The Tactics Ogre remake, Darktide, Harvestella, Bayonetta 3, and Choo Choo Charles are all coming out within a month of each other. Too many games to look forward to, not enough wallet or time.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Have you played Terra yet? Seems like afew people I know bounced off the first few hours.
    I've put about 30 hours in so far. It's good but does have issues. It's easy to make mistakes early on without realising only to have them come back and bite you hard much later on. And it doesn't explain a lot of stuff.

Best bet it to go watch some videos of others playing first to actual know what to do.

I have been enjoying it though.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    The Tactics Ogre remake,
    Haven't scouted that one out yet. Does it look hopeful, or improved in any meaningful way?
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2022-10-31 at 10:18 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I've put about 30 hours in so far. It's good but does have issues. It's easy to make mistakes early on without realising only to have them come back and bite you hard much later on. And it doesn't explain a lot of stuff.

Best bet it to go watch some videos of others playing first to actual know what to do.

I have been enjoying it though.
    Specifically I would suggest watching Perun's videos (PerunGamingAU), as he's really good at explaining things and is one of the players who knows the underlying systems.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Spamalot in the Playground

That Evil West game looks really interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Haven't scouted that one out yet. Does it look hopeful, or improved in any meaningful way?
    The biggest change I saw from some previews is that characters now just have their own level and not individual class levels. I assume some other changes have been made as well.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I have no interest in modern games. Most of the video-games I play still are old, between 10-25 years ago. That list is also small.

The only modern game I bought and played was Elden Ring. That was a good decision. Everything else looks to be either uninteresting or clearly designed to nickle-and-dime me. There's not much else to say that wont just become a doomer tirade.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

And I've managed to buy Persoma 5 Royal/Strikers. With a huge mark-up, but still.
    Next in line: Persona 3, Trails to Azure, Trails into Reverie, and I hope by that point Paradiso Guardians will be realeased too.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Hellblade2: Senua's Saga has me excited

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Steam version of Dwarf Fortress comes out December 6.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Hellblade2: Senua's Saga has me excited
    I'm very cautious regarding Hellblade 2.

Some games don't really need a sequel. For me Hellblade is one of those games.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

That RWBY: Arrowfell game that Wayforward is releasing later today look's promising.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Looking forward to future updates for future chapters of Hiveswap and Deltarune next year.
    Last two chapters/acts, a Hiveswap chapter comes out and then Deltarune comes out about a year or so later, though I doubt the pattern is going to continue for future chapters/acts, because I think they will have caught up to one another.

I just really like these games.
    Last edited by D&D_Fan; 2022-11-15 at 04:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D&D_Fan View Post
    Looking forward to future updates for future chapters of Hiveswap and Deltarune next year.
    Last two chapters/acts, a Hiveswap chapter comes out and then Deltarune comes out about a year or so later, though I doubt the pattern is going to continue for future chapters/acts, because I think they will have caught up to one another.

I just really like these games.
    oh hey third Hiveswap chapter is coming out next year? good I was wondering when it would update. I heard the Deltarune update is going to be large so I'm not surprised its taking so long, its like the entire rest of the game or at least three chapters I think?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post

A lot has changed

Spoiler: Overview
    Show

No more TP; skills like Meditate are now 'Auto' with a chance of triggering.
    Some have expanded use- like nearly all the ranged users seem to have Engulf which was Wizard only in PSP.
    Many old passives are now on gear- Daggers grant Parry etc.
    Lobber is now a skill on a handful of classes.
    Some new ones like Pincer Attack.

Units level on their own, classes have growths, that said there is a level cap and syncing in particular battles.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darkdragoon View Post
    A lot has changed

Spoiler: Overview
    Show

No more TP; skills like Meditate are now 'Auto' with a chance of triggering.
    Some have expanded use- like nearly all the ranged users seem to have Engulf which was Wizard only in PSP.
    Many old passives are now on gear- Daggers grant Parry etc.
    Lobber is now a skill on a handful of classes.
    Some new ones like Pincer Attack.

Units level on their own, classes have growths, that said there is a level cap and syncing in particular battles.

Yeah, I've tried it in the meantime. Pretty enjoyable, but I keep comparing it to FFT for some reason, and it feels kinda lacking when you do that.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Well, all of the news out of the Game Awards yesterday added a few to my list:

Hades 2 - Quite enjoyed the first one, definitely interested in a sequel, and I like what I see from the trailer already.

Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon - I half figured something like this was in the works after playing that storybook bonus stage in Bayonetta 3, but I am stunned that it's coming so soon (mid-March). While it seems very different from the normal Bayonetta games, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor - Technically I knew about this one, but it was easy to forget since so little was known about it besides that it was being made. Now that we got a good look at it and a release date, definitely on my to-buy list. Fallen Order was surprisingly good, so I'll take more of that, sure.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Well, all of the news out of the Game Awards yesterday added a few to my list:
    Definitely will have to be Armored Core 6 for me.

I’ve played every installment, they started at PS2. The most recent one was 9 years ago and it… fell through. But the one before that (a most others) was fantastic.

Also discovered Sky and I like everything Thatgamecompany has done thus far.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Not officially announced, only rumors, but I am looking forward to Resident Evil 9. I don't know what it would be about, but I think the recent RE games have been pretty solid. I wonder what direction they would go in. The last two went in their own direction, but seeing a game that goes back to the main sort of storyline would make sense I think.