New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default An opinion you're probably all alone with?

GRAND THEFT AUTO V being the most overrated and actually the worst (next to GTA IV) title within the whole franchise, basically more or less useless gameplay-wise while focusing way too much on "great´n funny" characters and its story.

I also stopped playing it at that "Submarine-Mission" where i had to travel for miles (...again!) until anything more interesting could have happened, other than just driving for miles, so in fact that game focusing on "driving for miles from A to B" without actually doing anything else than "just driving" while looking at the scenery in my opinion, and GTA V does making me do this way more often than i remember in any other games of the franchise.

That same problem was already happening with GTA IV but at least they got me that kewl´n fancy "character-switching" with 3 different characters, which at least blew some slightly new wind into the franchise, but still...compared to GTA SAN ANDREAS it was rather a let-down with the franchise rather moving backwards.

I could as well just step into my own car, driving for miles looking at the scenery, that would also be more exciting since a crash would actually cause more trouble than in GTA V.

Now some claim the same with RED DEAD REDEMPTION II, but as even i am surprised by myself...i was enjoying that title way more than that rather "mess" of a "GTA V".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: An opinion you´re probably all alone with?

I'm fine with driving around and enjoying the scenery in games, and had a lot of fun doing that in GTA 5.

That said, I ALSO stopped playing at the boring submarine mission, so it's not just you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I really didn't like the GTA5 single player experience. Problem is, the previous two games had the characters you were playing as be somewhat sympathetic and forced into doing horrible things occasionally by circumstance. Of course, they were still generally not nice people but they were at least relatable. What do we have in GTA5? Franklin, who just does anything anyone asks him to because he wants to be a big-time criminal. Michael, whose hobby seems to be shouting at his family. And Trevor, who is a brutal psychotic who will just kill anyone at the drop of a hat. I didn't like any of these people and certainly didn't like being put in their shoes, so I gave up on it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I really didn't like the GTA5 single player experience. Problem is, the previous two games had the characters you were playing as be somewhat sympathetic and forced into doing horrible things occasionally by circumstance. Of course, they were still generally not nice people but they were at least relatable. What do we have in GTA5? Franklin, who just does anything anyone asks him to because he wants to be a big-time criminal. Michael, whose hobby seems to be shouting at his family. And Trevor, who is a brutal psychotic who will just kill anyone at the drop of a hat. I didn't like any of these people and certainly didn't like being put in their shoes, so I gave up on it.
    I kind of liked the protagonists for the same reason. At least the disconnect between the cutscenes (where killing someone is a big deal) and the gameplay (where you're likely blowing up cops and running over civilians by the dozens) isn't quite so jarring when you have someone like Trevor.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I only played as far into single player in GTA 5 as the game forced me before it allowed me to move into GTA Online. I enjoyed the single-player modes in previous games but I bought GTA5 specifically to play online with friends, so I just never got around to the single player. As such, I have no opinion on the quality there.

As for my own gaming-related opinion that I don't expect many others to share:

I think the Final Fantasy series is massively overrated, with the exception of VI and VII. I don't begrudge others their fun if they do enjoy FF, but it annoys me to no end that so many other series I think are better fell by the wayside as Square Enix bought up so many of the old JRPG studios and others just vanished. I'd trade every Final Fantasy game made in the last 25 years for one more Ogre Battle title.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I think the best Final Fantasy game is Chocobo Tales...
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I prefer my video games offline and solo, my tabletop games in-person and tangible, and never the twain should meet.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I'm kinda indifferent to Supergiant Games.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2022-09-19 at 03:21 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Obviously not alone because the devs also thought the same, but Mass Effect 2 became a much better RPG because it threw out several obnoxious "RPG elements" from the first game.
    Applying individual points to a dozen different skills for minor percentage increases and occasionally unlocking new abilities was pointless. Strippng it down to just unlocking abilities was great.
    Finding new guns and armor with slighty different protection values every 2 munutes made getting new stuff unmemorable and just created a huge amount of busywork to fine comb through the piles of junk to pick out what's actually good. Having only like four rifles and five pistols is great when each ones handles differently instead of having 240 rifles that are indistinguishable from each other.

When I am looking at a menu screen, I am not playing an RPG. I am interrupting the game to do doing necessary bookkeeping to be allowed to go back to the game.

Also, from a completely different perspective: Stalker and Kenshi are the best RPGs I ever played on computer, and neither is commonly considered an RPG. Open-world and semi-open-world action games are better RPGs than gamified novels. An RPG should be about the experiences of the players, not about a story script.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    I prefer my video games offline and solo, my tabletop games in-person and tangible, and never the twain should meet.
    You're definitely not alone in that one.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

For myself, honestly, I can't think of anything. First thing that comes mind in terms of less-than-popular gaming opinions that I have is my dislike of open-world game design, but I know there are those who share that feeling, we're just a minority. On a related note, I love the Legend of Zelda, but haven't played Breath of the Wild for much that reason - but again, I know there's a minority out there like me in that regard.

I don't know, maybe the fact that I have played Chrono Trigger, enjoyed it, but don't think it's one of the greatest games of all time? Nor even one of the greatest of its genre. It probably was at the time it came out, but it's been surpassed plenty since, IMO. But even that's probably selection bias, since people who share that opinion with me would have little reason to say much about the game, while those who do have that high an opinion of it are the ones likely to bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    As for my own gaming-related opinion that I don't expect many others to share:

I think the Final Fantasy series is massively overrated, with the exception of VI and VII.
    I'd have said Final Fantasy 7 Remake for the exception (haven't played 6, so I can't judge that one), but I'm otherwise with you there. I have no idea why Final Fantasy specifically became the most popular JRPG franchise when it honestly strikes me as mostly full of mediocre to bad games, at least of what I've played of it, which is a fair chunk. There's the occasional good-with-caveats one, but prior to FF7R, nothing I had a lot of praise for personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Obviously not alone because the devs also thought the same, but Mass Effect 2 became a much better RPG because it threw out several obnoxious "RPG elements" from the first game.
    Applying individual points to a dozen different skills for minor percentage increases and occasionally unlocking new abilities was pointless. Strippng it down to just unlocking abilities was great.
    Finding new guns and armor with slighty different protection values every 2 munutes made getting new stuff unmemorable and just created a huge amount of busywork to fine comb through the piles of junk to pick out what's actually good. Having only like four rifles and five pistols is great when each ones handles differently instead of having 240 rifles that are indistinguishable from each other.
    Yeah, you're not alone on that one either, I was very happy with those changes to ME2 as well. I always thought it was a sad joke that most of Mass Effect 1's skill points only got you a 1-2% increase to something, and some even gave you less than 1%. At that point, I have to ask why I'm even bothering, because the effect will be totally unnoticeable.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I think the Final Fantasy series is massively overrated, with the exception of VI and VII. I don't begrudge others their fun if they do enjoy FF, but it annoys me to no end that so many other series I think are better fell by the wayside as Square Enix bought up so many of the old JRPG studios and others just vanished. I'd trade every Final Fantasy game made in the last 25 years for one more Ogre Battle title.
    I think the series is overrated except for IV, X, and XII, so the funny thing is I think that opinion is not unpopular it just varies by which games people think are "the good ones". Which are usually the ones people played first lol.

I think one of my biggest video game hot takes is that Dragon Age 2 was pretty good actually. Not perfect, but good. MUCH better than Inquisition, at least.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I think one of my biggest video game hot takes is that Dragon Age 2 was pretty good actually. Not perfect, but good. MUCH better than Inquisition, at least.
    I agree with this one (well, the first part, I haven't actually played Inquisition), I consider Dragon Age 2 pretty great, despite its flaws. I think it has kind of the opposite strength and weakness to the first game: Origins is a very well made game is most regards but has a fairly unoriginal story (Uniting the people against the literal forces of evil? I've seen it a couple of dozen times before) while Dragon Age 2 has a (in my opinion) much more interesting story but a very flawed execution.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm with you there. It's actually my favorite of the three, though its flaws and the strong characters of Origins do make it a close call.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Games don't need to be difficult to be enjoyable. In fact, in many cases making a game more difficult makes it less enjoyable.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I personally like pokemon fan games and think the well designed ones are better than actual pokemon games

I like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. I'm alone in this because I'm probably the only one who knows it exists.

I liked Blinx the Time Sweepers's look and thought their game's time control gameplay was fun.

Goombario is useless in Paper Mario once you get any other partner, but Goombella is always good in Thousand Year Door.

I have never seen Persona 5 Royale, but I have seen Persona 5 Strikers and I think its story is pretty good.

the three Xenoblade Chronicles games would be better done as three anime series, each one about 26 episodes or so long.

Kingdom Hearts is just bad and incoherent, there is no sense to be made from it.

Minecraft is just a tech demo for all the games that came after it, that did it better.

The idea that a fixed character is also a blank slate to put yourself into is paradoxical, dumb and should no longer be done. give Mario, Link and so on actual personalities rather than trying to pretend they represent me in any way. you want me to blank slate self insert, give me a character creation screen or don't even try to pretend.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Minecraft is just a tech demo for all the games that came after it, that did it better.
    I never played Minecraft and know next to nothing about it.

But I imagine reddit in its collectivity had a fit right now
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I never played Minecraft and know next to nothing about it.

But I imagine reddit in its collectivity had a fit right now
    Then it will hate what I'm about say next even more:

Fortnite is an advertising platform with shooter gameplay elements.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Kingdom Hearts is just bad and incoherent, there is no sense to be made from it.
    I've never understood this take. The plots are extremely straightforward, with the exception of KH 3 which is just a mess from top to bottom because they decided the ****ty mobile games needed to be core plot critical.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I've never understood this take. The plots are extremely straightforward, with the exception of KH 3 which is just a mess from top to bottom because they decided the ****ty mobile games needed to be core plot critical.
    The actions of Sora are straightforward.

Its machinations of everyone else that is the problem.

he is kind of just a pawn in everyone's game of time travel-abstract-conceptual-clone-memory-manipulation calvinball.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I may be the only person in the world that thinks that Ultima 9 is a good game.

But I really do.
    UIX is I think the first 3D open-world* fantasy RPG. It offers great exploration and rewards player creativity in regards of that exploration.
    The dungeon design is flavourfull and highly distinct. Dungeon design is probably my main gripe of many RPGs and almost always I wish that more designer would take a note or two from the dungeon design in UIX.
    And the music is just perfect. It is without a doubt one of my favorite video game score of all time.

*NOT sandbox - just a seemless open world. And from what I remember there where NO map boundaries. Instead the game was programmed to simulate a globe: sail far enough with your ship to the east and you appear on the western edge of the map.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Undertale is overrated. The gameplay is nearly non-existent and the writing relies heavily on emotional cheap shots. There's very little depth to any of it, and the stuff that's going on around the endings is creepypasta-tier. Deltarune has better gameplay, but the story suffers from the same problems.

I'm not saying it was bad. Far from it, in fact. It's just not the modern classic it's held up to be.

Music's good, though.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    I may be the only person in the world that thinks that Ultima 9 is a good game.
    If it existed in isolation then that maybe wouldn't be a controversial opinion. U9 was written as if nothing existed before it, so you get ludicrous lines like the main character--one of whose dearest friends happens to be a paladin--asking "What's a paladin?" when the question comes up. If it was written assuming some knowledge of the previous games, and also didn't crap all over a lot of the characters from those games as well, then it would be considered a competent RPG.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Khay View Post
    Undertale is overrated. The gameplay is nearly non-existent and the writing relies heavily on emotional cheap shots. There's very little depth to any of it, and the stuff that's going on around the endings is creepypasta-tier. Deltarune has better gameplay, but the story suffers from the same problems.

I'm not saying it was bad. Far from it, in fact. It's just not the modern classic it's held up to be.

Music's good, though.
    I remember playing like an hour of Undertale because everyone kept telling me I should and just going "Oh wow, this puzzle is incredibly obvious and uninteresting, oh no, bullet hell, I hate that; I hope these characters get more interesting" and then giving up on it. I just wasn't doing anything I enjoyed. And the meta commentary didn't feel that new or original either.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

They lost me somewhere in the middle of KH 2. I played it all the way through and I still couldn't tell you what the plot was.

I tried out 358/2 Days because the gameplay was still good in KH 2 and I was instantly lost plot-wise. I stuck it out for around 10 hours or so before putting it down and never returning to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Games don't need to be difficult to be enjoyable. In fact, in many cases making a game more difficult makes it less enjoyable.
    There's a balance to be had. I'm currently playing a Fire Emblem/Ogre Battle style game called Symphony of War. The core systems are pretty good, and there's a good game down there somewhere.

However, the difficulty is laughable. On the suggestion of the Steam reviews I cranked the difficulty to the max (Hard + Permadeath) in the hopes of getting a good experience out of it...and it's still far too simple. I'm never at risk of losing my main characters, and I rarely lose even the expendable squad units. I'm A or S ranking everything without even trying.

Games don't have to kick your ass. However, they should provide enough of a challenge to make you engage with their systems. If you're playing the game as intended and you have a 0% chance of losing somebody did their job wrong.

And of course, difficulty levels should always be provided. As long as "difficult" actually is difficult and "easy" is actually easy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Star Control 3 was not a bad game.

It wasn't a good game by any stretch of the imagination, mind you, but it wasn't the horror-show abomination that it gets reviled as. If it hadn't been named "Star Control", it would've been simply forgotten as a thoroughly "meh" game like so many others from its era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

C&C Renegade was brilliant multiplayer, was a decade ahead of the game for hero shooters, and comparing the amount of customization and modding possible to modern platforms makes me weep with rage.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Finding new guns and armor with slighty different protection values every 2 munutes made getting new stuff unmemorable and just created a huge amount of busywork to fine comb through the piles of junk to pick out what's actually good.
    That was actually necessary for story reasons. Not many people know this, but Shepard's secondary MOS is Quartermaster.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Star Control 3 was not a bad game.

It wasn't a good game by any stretch of the imagination, mind you, but it wasn't the horror-show abomination that it gets reviled as. If it hadn't been named "Star Control", it would've been simply forgotten as a thoroughly "meh" game like so many others from its era.
    Apparently there are Masters of Orion 3 fans out there too. I imagine them being people who really like doing their taxes each year.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, from a completely different perspective: Stalker and Kenshi are the best RPGs I ever played on computer, and neither is commonly considered an RPG. Open-world and semi-open-world action games are better RPGs than gamified novels. An RPG should be about the experiences of the players, not about a story script.
    I think STALKER was exceptional and maybe unparalleled in what it was open to be. For me it was an open-world FPS, for many today it's a survival horror, for you it's an RPG, and its engine does allow for all three. As an FPS, it can be modded to be a ballistics simulator (just to make an example: bullets follow a parable, but it isn't predetermined -- it's based on the speed of the bullet. Some rifles have subsonic bullets, which in original games meant an exaggeratedly quickly descending parable), and it also can differentiate weapons by changing drag. It can be modded to be a survival horror by changing the availability of resources and the strength and speed of monsters, radioactive fields, and anomalies. It has a number of crafting mods. It also has traders and quests, both radiant and fixed (DoctorX, who created the quest system now used in many mods, passed away some time ago). Also, I never really checked how it worked, but I think the rank (rookie to legend) affected how effective you were in combat, although I'm not sure and it's possible that the numbers I saw referred to NPCs.

And of course, atop this engine they added an overactive AI with individual stalkers hunting artefacts and fighting both in the map you are in and in the others, faction wars, and ray tracing (in a 2007 game. Can be activated by console).

After a while, the game starts to resemble those Soviet aeronautical experiments, like, "Vovchik, it's nice we have a bomber, but can we add some fighters to the bomber?", so they chained a couple of fighters to the bomber.

Finally, the setting is one of the best ever seen in a videogame, both in atmosphere and interactivity. The fact that deadly anomalies contain precious artefacts means that you want to get close and risk it (and it's difficult, but bolts make it fair). The dungeons are also memorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).