A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Anyone up for something basic? [5e]

So, since it has been a long time since I have gotten into a campaign of any sort and have not yet had much chance to experience DnD 5e, would there be players/GM interested in putting something together? I would be perfectly content with pre-made adventure path (and actually quite excited for some of such since I have never had the fortune of trying any of them out), but entirely original campaigns are a great deal of fun as well. I have fond memories of some back from 3.5e.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone up for something basic? [5e]

Interested as a player, for sure. Needa get my feet a little wetter, there.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Interested as player as well

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I happen to be preparing to run an introductory Adventurerís League module for my cousins. I wouldnít mind practicing it here.

(This is me offering to DM)
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-09-23 at 02:53 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I am interested in playing!
    Last edited by GreenDragonPage; 2022-09-23 at 07:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Alrighty then:

Spoiler: Adventure Hook
    Show
    Phlan is a city in transition. Many groups compete for power, sometimes working together, but often at odds as schemes progress and alliances form and unravel.

Maybe you are part of those schemes. Maybe you're a pawn. Or maybe you're a drifter who doesn't know/care what's going on, so long as you can get the coin to put food in your belly and a roof over your head. Either way, you find yourselves in Madame Freonaís Tea Kettle.

This establishment- despite being situated in the center of a massive political chessboard waiting to be knocked over- has somehow managed to be a place where people can go to have a drink or meal and escape the tensions of the schemers and the power-hungry. With the Tea Kettleís reputation as a haven, adventures who can be discreet and behave themselves can often find employment there.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D, 5E

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    It's an Adventurer's League Module, with an occasional splash of creativity from yours truly. It's actually the first part of what's supposed to be a storyline, so if things go smoothly we can continue. Though I cannot guarantee that the storyline will actually... make sense. Or be cohesive.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    3-5, including Grim ranger.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    These Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No Homebrew. Otherwise go nuts.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

The standard races should go without saying, and I'm fine with the canon Furry/Scaly/Feathery races like Grung and Harengon. Goblinoids/Kobolds are fine with me as well. Hard No on Centaurs, Gith, and Goliaths

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Standard Array

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Be decent.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    N/A for now, given we're at level 1, but standard Multiclassing rules apply if we get any further.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    You roll you, I'll roll me, on the forums.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

• You can do the Tashaís thing where you put your Racial ASI wherever you want
    • Paladins can Smite Unarmed if they so choose
    • Monk Martial Arts/Unarmed Strikes have the Finesse property

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Not really for now. Like I said, if we end up continuing, maybe mock up a skirt-length kinda thing so I can kill off your NPC Family

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    This Module has Combat, Skill Challenges, and Mystery Solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    If/when we get there, feel free to use anything official.

ETA: Just so we have clarity, the fact that this is an Adventurerís League module does NOT mean you have to follow Adventurerís League rules or restrictions.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-09-25 at 07:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool, i'm hooked. Can we use the Tasha's rules for Character Creation? The one about swaping racial ability score.

Also, any race restriction? Kind want to play a Tortle or Herengon, but only if it is ok in this game.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking of applying but, after several years hiatus from DMing, I have literally just started running a game with some friends using these very same modules as an intro to 5e.

I'm not sure if it would be okay playing in this, seeing that as a player (but not a character) I'd know a fairly significant amount of what's going on behind the scenes?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    Cool, i'm hooked. Can we use the Tasha's rules for Character Creation? The one about swaping racial ability score.

Also, any race restriction? Kind want to play a Tortle or Herengon, but only if it is ok in this game.
    All of that is cool with me

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    I was thinking of applying but, after several years hiatus from DMing, I have literally just started running a game with some friends using these very same modules as an intro to 5e.

I'm not sure if it would be okay playing in this, seeing that as a player (but not a character) I'd know a fairly significant amount of what's going on behind the scenes?
    i donít think it would be too fun for either of us if you already know whatís going on and how to solve the problems, so unfortunately Iíll have to say no.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Kolivar "The Windsong" Bolivar, High Elven Bard

Born into a noble family of good pedigree, Kolivar is a scholar and a gentleman who wanders the world looking for adventure and song.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yoggie - Wizard Tortle

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Yoggie always sought knowledge, ever since he was a small Tortle and barely finished forming his shell. His parents taught everything they knew about nature at young age. But Yoggie was to amazed by all misteries of the universe.

At the age of 74 he decided to part way with his clan and went to Plhan, to learn on Mantor's Library and started working as scribe, in exchange for room, food, access to knowledge. Yoggie spend the past 53 years stuying and trying to grab compreenhension on the world and it's misteries. During those time he starting learning a few small magic tricks from books and others scholars.

Yoggie became close friend of master Opanrael during this time, sharing the interest from books, studies and seek for knowledge. The past 2 years Yoggie started fell restless and stagnant, that perhaps he needs to see a bit of the worlds, and others libraries in order to improve himself and maybe in the process help the people of faerun. He decided to go to Madame Freona as a starting point of his adventure outside of the books.

Spoiler: Gears
    Show
    Just to be noted someplace, I sold some starting gear from explorer pack (hempen rope, tinderbox) and with the starting 10g from backgorund I bought a silk rope
    Last edited by Azktor; 2022-09-24 at 02:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Curious if Aquatic Elves would be available.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azktor View Post
    Yoggie - Wizard Tortle

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Show
    Yoggie always sought knowledge, ever since he was a small Tortle and barely finished forming his shell. His parents taught everything they knew about nature at young age. But Yoggie was to amazed by all misteries of the universe.

At the age of 74 he decided to part way with his clan and went to Plhan, to learn on Mantor's Library and started working as scribe, in exchange for room, food, access to knowledge. Yoggie spend the past 53 years stuying and trying to grab compreenhension on the world and it's misteries. During those time he starting learning a few small magic tricks from books and others scholars.

Yoggie became close friend of master Opanrael during this time, sharing the interest from books, studies and seek for knowledge. The past 2 years Yoggie started fell restless and stagnant, that perhaps he needs to see a bit of the worlds, and others libraries in order to improve himself and maybe in the process help the people of faerun. He decided to go to Madame Freona as a starting point of his adventure outside of the books.

Spoiler: Gears
    Show
    Just to be noted someplace, I sold some starting gear from explorer pack (hempen rope, tinderbox) and with the starting 10g from backgorund I bought a silk rope
    Your abilities look wonky. Standard Array is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Youíve ended up with 2 10s and an 8 somehow.
    Everything else checks out

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragonPage View Post
    Kolivar "The Windsong" Bolivar, High Elven Bard

Born into a noble family of good pedigree, Kolivar is a scholar and a gentleman who wanders the world looking for adventure and song.
    Checks Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bansheexero View Post
    Curious if Aquatic Elves would be available.
    If you mean the Sea Elf from Mordenkainenís, then yes. Otherwise I have no idea what you mean.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2022-09-25 at 07:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I forgot to check here for a hot minute: things kind of happened in RL. But I am glad to see there has been GM offer already! I honestly didn't expect to be so lucky

I will try to get sheet up today/tomorrow!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Your abilities look wonky. Standard Array is 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Youíve ended up with 2 10s and an 8 somehow.
    Everything else checks out
    My Bad, went with point buy for some reason, fixed!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, and since I have gone looking a bit while considering character concepts, I had question for our GM: would Lizardfolk or Minotaur (Theros or Amonkhet variants) be acceptable? Otherwise I am currently considering Dragonborn for most part.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    Oh, and since I have gone looking a bit while considering character concepts, I had question for our GM: would Lizardfolk or Minotaur (Theros or Amonkhet variants) be acceptable? Otherwise I am currently considering Dragonborn for most part.
    Iím good with the Lizardfolk, and the Amonkhet Minotaur is more or less a Half-Orc with a horn attack anyway. Both are fine.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Choosing between minotaur and lizardfolk makes me think something frontline. To avoid stepping on toes I'll submit Ara Eywilled, Rogue.
    Extended Signature, Woo! Latest Homebrew: The Oath of Oration.

Spoiler: Previous Avatar
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Choosing between minotaur and lizardfolk makes me think something frontline. To avoid stepping on toes I'll submit Ara Eywilled, Rogue.
    Indeed, I considered going fighty person since usually I try sorcerer or the like. Alas, with some research it seems that the lizardfolk might have lost the ability to use bite as natural weapon (and as such usable with dex too), so it might be out of running. Depends what our GM says. If so, I'll probably use Fizban's dragonborn variant.

20. - Top - End - #20

d20 Re: Anyone up for something basic? [5e]

Bard, wizard, rogue...

I'm gonna recalibrate this Warlock I made. Celestial Pact, a real good apple.

If I'm stepping into Original Poster's lane, though, thennn I'll make something else.
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2022-09-26 at 05:13 PM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Mostly done mechanics and gear, so going with Xamyra, Sea Elf Fighter.

Show
    You said to keep it short, so I will go somewhat minimalist: A long way from home, Xamyra never felt much kinship with her ilk under the seas. Seeking to find new experiences, she came to dry land. Figuring it would help her visit new locales, she sought work as a bounty hunter, and wound up in Phlan. She is currently working on hunting down a contract of a smuggling ring that deals in slaves. Her main concern is getting enough money together so she can continue her travels.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2022-09-26 at 10:33 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

It took a bit since I was tad rusty at this, but here is Soga Zas, Lizardfolk Monk. Certainly not the most optimized build, but I liked the idea so put roleplaying considerations before all that for now

Spoiler: Brief backround
    Show
    A young and brash lizard, Soga was put to the task of guarding an ancient ruin both feared and respected by his tribe after causing frustration for his peers and betters alike. During this mostly lonesome task that was often mostly ceremonial, a stranger approached the ruins...and brash as he was, the young lizardfolk warrior attacked without hesitation. Surprisingly enough, after defeating him effortlessly with mere open hand, the stranger offered to show him the basics of this odd art. As he had never been one to back down from a challenge, Soga found himself training with the stranger for days and then weeks, taught to master the flow of combat. One day, however, the unthinkable occurred: his teacher had disappeared from his usual camp, and had apparently taken something with himself from the ruins.

Knowing that his honor was hanging on returning the treasures of the ruins and feeling quite betrayed, the lizardfolk took up adventuring to gather news on possible whereabouts of the lost artifacts...as well as to seek out further training from the wide world outside his home.

23. - Top - End - #23

Behold ye, Ainigmah!
    Spoiler: Description
    Show
    Ainigmah is many things: insightful. Headstrong. Captivating! Adding to that, she has the pragmatic and proactive streak that makes any adventurer valued over town guardsmen, career politicians, and other foot-draggers.

Ainigmah exudes confidence, almost hubristic amounts. She is a short, dark-haired woman with pale skin. She wears grey and red.

Show
    When asked about her past, AINIGMAH tells you that she hails from Iriaebor, where she studied herbalism before seeking isolation in the woods following several visions ranging from "comforting" to "upsetting" to "inexplicable". After her contemplations ended and Krome made peace with the source, she took to a life of adventure.
    Kept the background short, like Krome.
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2022-09-28 at 06:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

And thatís recruitment closed.

After we picked up a 6th. Oof.

The module is built for a maximum of 5 Level 1 characters, and I donít want to futz around with it too much.

Iíve mulled it over, and even though Scary Wizard posted his sheet last, he was the first to show up interested (orÖ second, if you want to be pedantic).

So if Iím doing things that way, that means the party is:

Sofa Zas, Lizardfolk Monk, played by Grim Ranger
    Ainigmah, Human Warlock, played by Scary Wizard
    Yoggie, Tortle Wizard, played by Azktor
    Kolivar, Elf Bard, played by GreenDragonPage
    Xamyra, Sea Elf Fighter, played by Bansheexero

Apologies sandmote. You can stick around as an alternate.

Iíll get the OOC thread up later today.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Apologies sandmote. You can stick around as an alternate.
    No worries; I hope you all have fun.
    Extended Signature, Woo! Latest Homebrew: The Oath of Oration.

Spoiler: Previous Avatar
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Hmm, good. My character is designed to branch off into different potential directions, and it looks like two of those directions are covered by the rogue and the monk. Might go into cleric or druid if the game goes that long. I am curious about custom gods, as I have a go to for aquatic races that I feel would work well. Fighter seems to be a solid chassis to start with at least for some early survivability though.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2022-09-28 at 04:04 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

27. - Top - End - #27

Cool.

Also, cool that you've got branching-out in mind... I was very briefly considering Cleric or calibrating this character towards multi-classing into it. Not knowing how far this module will take us, though, I'm probably going to remain a Warlock.

EDITDDENDUM: Well, that, and I dumped Wisdom, so...
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2022-09-28 at 03:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by SCARY WIZARD View Post
    Cool.

Also, cool that you've got branching-out in mind... I was very briefly considering Cleric or calibrating this character towards multi-classing into it. Not knowing how far this module will take us, though, I'm probably going to remain a Warlock.

EDITDDENDUM: Well, that, and I dumped Wisdom, so...
    Well, it's hard to say at such a low level anyway, since no access to subclasses yet. My initial idea was to branch off into Monk, taking the Way of Shadow subclass, and then take the Echo Knight subclass for fighter and base style off of raw confusion. Druid would be interesting, though I lack proficiency in Nature (as well as Religion if I went Cleric). The custom god I wanted to go with was from one of my homebrew settings called Skagos, god of the sea and marine life. The god itself is more akin to a raw force of nature rather than upholding any sort of ideal (it's a giant fish large enough to swallow islands whole), and has a sort of survival of the fittest mentality to it (big fish eat smaller fish). I tend to see aquatic elves and similar races to have a bit of an alien outlook when compared to land dwellers, and their gods would be their own from that outlook rather than what the surface tends to revere.

Edit: I could switch to druid without adjusting my stat line-up, but wasn't sure if we'd have any tanks until the monk stepped in, and I build based on party need.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2022-09-28 at 04:27 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

As I have avoided optimization as it is, my possible multiclassing (if the game does end up taking off) will likely be based on Soga's character development and what party might need.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Grim ranger View Post
    As I have avoided optimization as it is, my possible multiclassing (if the game does end up taking off) will likely be based on Soga's character development and what party might need.
    Typically, that is an organic form of optimization anyway.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim