New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: New D&D 5e Base Class Contest: Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Just to Browse View Post
    A 4-elements monk that lets you play something out of Avatar would be pretty slick
    I've worked on something like this, but I've seen it done quite a few times and now I have Avatar Legends anyway so...

• My mind first goes to Shadow Sorcerer for this theme.
    • I second the "any Artificer" statement.
    • Mercy Monk gives me some ideas.
    • Eldritch Knight (taking some tips from Hexblade and Paladin) as a gish.
    • Spirits Bard tickles my fancy daily.
    • Forge Cleric (inspiration = Ornn from LoL).
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

This one seems like it has a lot of possibilities. I have a long weekend; I might see if I can figure out something interesting to do with one of the wizard schools (necromancy seems like the most obvious candidate).

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

So how close does the new class have to be to the original?

Like, if I made a take on a Bard subclass, does the end result need to be a spellcaster?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    So how close does the new class have to be to the original?

Like, if I made a take on a Bard subclass, does the end result need to be a spellcaster?
    I'm gonna say no. As long as your subclass has clear inspiration. I myself am also considering non-spell options for my entry which is inspired by a full-caster.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I’m most of the way finished with a Mastermind base class at this point.

In terms of other ideas that are appealing, Divine Soul seems to carry some possibility for a whole class. Eldritch Knight has the heft mechanically but it’s not a broad archetype in fiction. Necromancer definitely strikes me as a good choice.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

6. - Top - End - #96

I've been toying with the idea of trying to fix one the most garbage subclasses, because for most of them, their disappointing nature partly comes from how cool the concept is and how bad the end result was. So berserker, trickery cleric, arcane archer, way of the four elements monk, a toss up of inquisitive or mastermind rogue, and wild magic sorcerer is the list I came up with. Could throw evoker in, but doing any of the wizard schools would be best done by focusing even harder on their chosen school, and the problem with evoker is that it already focuses on the worst school. Any other real stinkers I missed in the supplemental books? I mostly stuck to core, except for rogue.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of trying to fix one the most garbage subclasses, because for most of them, their disappointing nature partly comes from how cool the concept is and how bad the end result was.
    That's... not a bad idea. Looking forward to what you decide.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything from SCAG probably belongs on that list. I would add the Assassin Rogue and Beastmaster Ranger as well.
    All work I do is CC-BY-SA. Copy it wherever you want as long as you credit me.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Double posting to say that the storm herald is finished and posted! The heart of it is an upgrade and expansion of the Barbarian Storm Herald, but it's also a love letter to Silva Stormrage's Tempest Warlord, a super cool class that I fell in love with over a decade ago (oh god I am so old). Silva, if by chance you click into these contest threads even though they're 5e material, I want you to know I still remember the Tempest Warlord and I think it's cool as hell.
    Last edited by Just to Browse; 2023-08-02 at 12:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Oh no I forgot to vote on the last thing!

11. - Top - End - #101

Daemon

Here’s the Sojourner, all teleports all the time.

Any feedback is appreciated!
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2023-08-08 at 05:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hmm. I am going to jump in to this one I think with the Magician, based on the themes of the Illusionist subclass and trying to channel themes of old music-hall acts. A somewhat magical performer blending illusions and swordplay to disable and harm their enemies.

First iteration is looking... complex. It has subcasses of conjurer, clairvoyant and mesmerist.

EDI: Now I need to work out how to add pictures.
    Last edited by MrStabby; 2023-08-12 at 12:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Hmm. I am going to jump in to this one I think with the Magician, based on the themes of the Illusionist subclass and trying to channel themes of old music-hall acts. A somewhat magical performer blending illusions and swordplay to disable and harm their enemies.

First iteration is looking... complex. It has subcasses of conjurer, clairvoyant and mesmerist.

EDI: Now I need to work out how to add pictures.
    I use Dall-E to quickly generate stuff for fun like this. Some of what I get is great, a lot is trash, but it pops when compared to my sketchbook or nothing.

I also use Homebrewery to make the pdfs. Take a look when you can.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    I use Dall-E to quickly generate stuff for fun like this. Some of what I get is great, a lot is trash, but it pops when compared to my sketchbook or nothing.

I also use Homebrewery to make the pdfs. Take a look when you can.
    I used stable diffusion for the pictures, just need to work out how to add them to posts. Homebrewery is cool also - I hadn't thought of using that to add the pictures.

15. - Top - End - #105

Daemon

I used stable diffusion for the pictures, just need to work out how to add them to posts. Homebrewery is cool also - I hadn't thought of using that to add the pictures.
    I save my stuff to deviant art then copy the pic address and use the picture link above the text box Like so

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

And I have some illusionists! I used Imgur instead, but seems to work. Thanks!

Also what's it with AI and hands? I mean I work with AI - I build algorithms for a living, and even I don't really get why its so bad.

EDIT: I have never published through the homebrewery before. I think that this should link to the content - before I review, refine etc., can someone tell me if they see it and its all in an appropriate format?

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/fF_oeicTDUzp

Last edited by MrStabby; 2023-08-12 at 07:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Daemon

And I have some illusionists! I used Imgur instead, but seems to work. Thanks!

Also what's it with AI and hands? I mean I work with AI - I build algorithms for a living, and even I don't really get why its so bad.

EDIT: I have never published through the homebrewery before. I think that this should link to the content - before I review, refine etc., can someone tell me if they see it and its all in an appropriate format?

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/fF_oeicTDUzp

It all appears to be in order!

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    It all appears to be in order!
    Fantastic. Thanks. I just need to polish the class.

I think my problem is too many weak abilities. I had a list of things I wanted, which were extensive.

I added them all. The result was overpowered (naturally) so I powered down so many... now I just have a sea of very situational abilities, abilities of marginal effect and a lack of the big features that really define a lot of other classes - rage, sneak attack action surge, paladin aura.

Plan for next weekend is to run some numbers then recalibrate... and then finally take a look at what other people have put up.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Putting in my vote to extend this Be Your Own Class contest. Some RL happenings have demanded my attention, but I have a really cool idea I need more time to finish.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

You have my support

21. - Top - End - #111
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

An extension would honestly be welcome in my end, so I'll throw my vote in as well.
    Temporarily back from the void between realities.
    Don't ask how long I'll be here for, I have no idea.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Whilst I am mostly done, I am all in favour of an extension if it allows others to take part.

And I can still tweak and revise it in that time anyway.

23. - Top - End - #113

I could have finished, but I could actually revise it now. If I finish it.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade View Post
    IÂ’m most of the way finished with a Mastermind base class at this point.

In terms of other ideas that are appealing, Divine Soul seems to carry some possibility for a whole class. Eldritch Knight has the heft mechanically but itÂ’s not a broad archetype in fiction. Necromancer definitely strikes me as a good choice.
    I do agree the necromancer has a lot of potential. I would be really keen to see what you could do with that. My take is that it has to be one of the hardest options to futureproof and balance. Most necromancy spells are just bad - either you balance round typical spells of a given level or you balance round the existing power level of spells. The former is poorly balanced now, the latter gets a bit screwy if in future spells are released that bring the power level up to normal. Maybe if the class comes with some new necromancy spells and is balanced round those then it can be more robust?

In a similar vein I was tempted by spirits bard for a witch doctor class, and might still try that outside the competition.

Shadowmonk seems like it could have more core abilities. Some cleric domains seem like they could replace some elements neatly (does death domain need healing and bless or life domain need inflict wounds?) though this is probably more a homebrew fix. Circle of dreams druid appeals to me as a subclass that has some fluff/expectations not delivered on and where the base class adds features that don't feel like they fit to me. Rogues also feel rich for this - so many themes that are awesome that feel like fitting them into a subclass does them down (Phantom is top of the list, but soulknife, inquisitive, Mastermind and swashbuckler also fit, though I also feel swashbuckler can be reasonably well served by a multiclass).

So many projects for later...

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'm still not sure if I will get something together in time, but my thoughts on Necromancer were more along the lines of what BerserkerUnit did with the Sojourner - moving away from spells in favor of class features. Necromancy in DnD is limited to a small set of niches - creating minions, speaking with the dead, and not dying/stealing the life force of others, and all of them could exist outside of the spellcasting system, I feel.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I also based my class off of the Mastermind, and have posted it. I'm still figuring out the last subclass, but will update it soon
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

27. - Top - End - #117

Planetar

I do agree the necromancer has a lot of potential. I would be really keen to see what you could do with that. My take is that it has to be one of the hardest options to futureproof and balance. Most necromancy spells are just bad - either you balance round typical spells of a given level or you balance round the existing power level of spells. The former is poorly balanced now, the latter gets a bit screwy if in future spells are released that bring the power level up to normal. Maybe if the class comes with some new necromancy spells and is balanced round those then it can be more robust?
    My thoughts were similar to Not A Fish's, that you divvy out the class without spells at all. Minion mancy with some extra spells for panache, but mostly just "Here's your monster stat block, here's how many you get."

I will say the other class I thought of was Circle of the Moon Druid. I feel like shapeshifting is such a distinctive flavor of magic and a class that leaned into it would have a very distinct feel. I had a full on "Shapedancer" which was able to either focus into tanking or impersonating idea percolating, but it didn't come together quite right.

I'm not gonna get mine in, I was about 2/3rds through my Mastermind class (which relied on an invocation like subsystem) when it got eaten and then I either didn't have time or motivation to redo it.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade View Post
    My thoughts were similar to Not A Fish's, that you divvy out the class without spells at all. Minion mancy with some extra spells for panache, but mostly just "Here's your monster stat block, here's how many you get."

I will say the other class I thought of was Circle of the Moon Druid. I feel like shapeshifting is such a distinctive flavor of magic and a class that leaned into it would have a very distinct feel. I had a full on "Shapedancer" which was able to either focus into tanking or impersonating idea percolating, but it didn't come together quite right.

I'm not gonna get mine in, I was about 2/3rds through my Mastermind class (which relied on an invocation like subsystem) when it got eaten and then I either didn't have time or motivation to redo it.
    Certainly a fair enough perspective. I had taken the perspective of it being really annoying inf you were The Necromancy Character and other PCs were able to do raise dead and animate dead better etc.. Giving those spells seemed the obvious solution but you are right, no reason why the tools shouldn't be class abilities.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

I exist ONCE MORE. I definitely don't have time to make something for this one but looking forward to join in the next.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to finish the Ur-Necromancer class by the deadline. 20 levels of class features is a bit beyond my ability at the best of times and now is not the best of times for me. I'm going to paste the markup into a word doc so that I can post it once I do have time to work on it. I look forward to reading everyone else's submissions!