New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers part 2: road to couronne

Bruno was surprised at the offer from Bertelis. He had become used in seeing the Bretonnian in full plate.
    "I'm honoured," he said, "but I don't understand. Don't Bretonnians use full plate? I think I once saw a few Bretonnian knights wearing full plate."
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

everyone please gimme a rumor you heard about either the caravan, the route or the city of couronne

anyway, we cut to the party leaving the city of altdorf with the shallyan caravan. two outriders take the lead, followed by several wagons pulled by draft horses. the rear is the camp followers and other walking folk

please put yourselves in the caravan where you will

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    im gonna use that 99 somewhere on this trip, so be prepared

now is a time to rp, so make good use of it before something happens
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-10-14 at 02:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    Bruno was surprised at the offer from Bertelis. He had become used in seeing the Bretonnian in full plate.
    "I'm honoured," he said, "but I don't understand. Don't Bretonnians use full plate? I think I once saw a few Bretonnian knights wearing full plate."
    "Plate, yes - gauntlets, sabatons, helms. But this interlocking construction? It is fine, but... it is not how my father rode into battle, or his father; or my king." He gives Bruno a firm clap on the shoulder. "Wear it, with pride; pass it on, some day, to the next young knight who joins the Company who needs it, ah? We make a tradition, this way."

Siobhan has spent more time with Rainier than Bertelis, in recent months; and he is a little struck with bittersweet feelings as the riding horse instinctively turns to her, and not him, for a nuzzle when they are setting out. But he is happy to be back in the saddle, once more; less burdened in his mere chain and leather, tearing up and back the length of the column from time to time and then, once he has made his personal patrols, dismounted to walk alongside the pilgrims. This is a halfway measure with which he is satisfied; he does not find it honorable to ride while ladies walk, but can saddle up without concern when he is actively outriding. He spends most of his time toward the rear of the column, chatting with the pilgrims; teaching them phrases in Breton and filling their hearts with stories of his homeland - its many and broad plains, not so crowded and full of beasts and goblins as the heart of the Empire. Most of all, he takes delight in making the handful of children who are present in the pilgrimage laugh: he develops a habit of being somewhere in the column of pilgrims, and then piping up on his flute, which sends the children swarming to find him... only to discover him hanging off the side of Adelhard's saddle, using the horse as a blind, or some other ridiculous thing. Some, or all of this, might be to take the traveller's minds off the rumor he has heard circulating - that dark elves have been prowling the coast of Couronne; a historical prelude to a season of slaving, and rapine by the malicious Drukhi.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-10-15 at 08:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard brings up the rear with the medical cart, there to succour any who might drop out, with a few casks of light ale for the thirsty and some waybread for the hungry.

His bow is secured neatly between the seats as is his newly acquired blunderbuss whilst he surveys the group of pilgrims to see who will be the first to fall.

He knows that the attrition rate on this pilgrimage is very high, but if you get as far the Bretonnian border you will probably make it. He wants to get as many people there as he can - and has the added advantage that he's got a Light of Purity burning in the glass on the cart so thdose who are ill are not going to get worse during the trip.

Of course that is a direct challenge to the Fly Lord and the clergy in Altdorf seemed more than usually worried about that.

Still, its not like they had not been a spider to the Fly Lords' minions before and that's the one opponent that Shallyans will actually fight

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

PS Wighard will have taken two locks of hair from everyone unless they have some Samson like objection
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-10-15 at 01:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Very well, I accept," Bruno said. He didn't know much about Bretonnia, but one thing he did know was that they were very touchy about honour.
    "One thing I would like to ask," he said, "can you teach us a bit about Bretonnia during the trip, so we don't make too many social mistakes?"

Bruno would take point. He had been a roadwarden, so this was not the first time he had guided a group of people on the road. He knew about ambushes so he would try to check out potential trouble spots. He was still adapting to the full plate armour, but while on his horse it wasn't too bad. Walking with it made him a bit slower, but he could still move more than he had expected. He had gone back to the roadwardens in Altdorf before they left, and they told him that lately a few coaches had disappeared on the spot where the road skirted the swamps around Marienburg. They didn't know why, and it was out of their jurisdiction as it was outside the empire, but they had heard about it. Bruno had told the rest of their group, but not the pilgrims as he didn't want to panic them and besides, there was little they could do besides trying to protect them if an attack occurs.

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Glod sits in one of the wagons near the front of the caravan, continuing work on the company's runesword. It was still a long way off completion, but he still needed to put in the effort each day in order to bestow upon it the potency it needed to have, and so he saw this as a better use of his time than walking alongside the camp followers. As he works patiently on the rune, muttering arcane words over it and delicately polishing it, he glances down briefly at the helm gifted to him by the dwarfen elders. A masterwork piece of armour, it provides full protection to his entire head, covering his face and the top of his beard with a pitiless visage, much in the same style as those used by the ironbreakers guarding the tunnels beneath the Karaks. If the rumours were correct, the road to Couronne was the preferred hunting ground for bands of orc brigands, and so he feels that he may have need of its protection sooner rather than later. That, and the runes he had studied whilst in the embassy made him confident that he could face anything that the road to Bretonnia could throw at him.
    Last edited by Morovir; 2022-10-15 at 03:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

the first two days go by smoothly, but at midday on the third, the sky is split by torrential rains and lightning. still the caravan proceeds along the twisting roadway, barely able to see twenty feet in front of you.

bruno: you are riding ahead. you see a pair of crudely felled trees across the road. your senses are tingling that there is an ambush coming

bertelis: strange things seem to move in the woods to the left. the shadows themselves seem to form mocking images of daemonettes. can i get a wp roll at -10 or take an IP?

wighard: kwolf alerts you to something bad in the area headed your way. do tell me what it is, and what it would take to kill it

jasmine: what issues have the rain caused, and how are you attempting to rectify them?

glod aand gimgroth: any questions for thurfam longbelly?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Once the rains begin, the roads start to turn to a river of mud. The wagons have to be lightened to make it through, which means nobody can ride them, and it means that everyone has to carry that much more. There's not much she can do, other than add a double load to her mule's pack, but while they are getting things organized, she makes sure to kindle a large fire and get a pot of tea going, to which she adds a generous helping of brandy, and makes sure everyone gets a hot mug of it to warm them. At least until they get cold. And wet. And then they have to stop...

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

24th Ploughtide Bezahltag/Taxday

Wighard 13/13W 0/2FP

Kwolf lights on Wighard's shoulder,

You sure?

Kaw!

Wighard leads the horse in a pivot to head back the way they came.

Back and to high ground! Flood is coming!

Show

(1d100)[93] Drive 34

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The weather wasn't good, and Bruno wasn't all too happy about traveling in such weather. But he still knew his job and that was to check for potential trouble along the road. Coming around a corner he spotted the two logs across the road, clearly cut by someone (or something). He didn't wait and immediately turned around towards the group to warn people for the ambush. He had just arrived when Wighard called out for flooding.
    "And I've noticed an ambush down the road," he said, "let's put the wagons so on high ground that we can defend ourselves behind them and hopefully the flood will wash the logs from the ambush away."

He will check for higher ground and lead the wagons there.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

in case it's needed: outdoor survival: (1d100)[31] vs 59

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Spoiler: Flashback - Previous Conversation with Gimgroth
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Gimgroth waves back to Emil. It was good to see the Scholar again was it not Sir Bertelis? I remember a time when I thought the two of you were to come to blows. I think our journey together has changed you as much if not more than it changed me Knight. the dwarf took a drink from his bottle of spirits before offering the knight a drink from the same bottle. Boats made Gimgroth anxious, he drank when he was anxious.
    He took the drink; even swigged it without complaint, though not deeply; an easy phlegmatism replacing the melancholy that was beginning to visit him in some frequency. "Hah, yes. Emil, like strong drink, is best enjoyed in small dozes, lest one be driven to foolishness. It is easier to like him, now that we are not travelling with him. But I do respect him, moreso for the good he is doing these poor people. Perhaps he has become less naïve; perhaps I have become more accommodating. But you are right; it was good to see him again." He gives the dwarf a glance over as he passes back the bottle, and intuits some of his discomfort. It didn't seem right to ask about about the changes he was referring to - Gimgroth's habit for self reproach was as clear as his truncated beard. And Bertelis was developing his own self reproach, now; his inability to protect the halfling lass from nefarious actors weighing on him... much like he imagined Gimgroth's own frustration when Wighard suffers, on the field.

So he talked about something else, instead; his favorite topic of all: Bretonnia.

"I wonder, my friend, if you have ever heard the tale of the Grail Companions, and the Twelve Battles. You would like them, I think; they mostly involve the hewing of orcs, and goblins, and giants. Of the twelve, my favorite is Marcus d'Bordeleaux, for obvious reasons. But Marcus comes later - first, you must hear of Gilles; and the great red dragon, Smearghus..."

He rabbits on in this manner for the rest of the boat ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    the first two days go by smoothly, but at midday on the third, the sky is split by torrential rains and lightning. still the caravan proceeds along the twisting roadway, barely able to see twenty feet in front of you.

bertelis: strange things seem to move in the woods to the left. the shadows themselves seem to form mocking images of daemonettes. can i get a wp roll at -10 or take an IP?
    Bertelis knows the images are false. She was taunting him. He could not see her when she was there; and when she was was not there, he frequently saw her. He watched the shapes only he could see caper and cavort in the treeline until the rain came, blessedly obscuring them; a mercy of the Lady, perhaps.

When he snapped back to reality, he realized how he had missed the beginning of the flood - and burst into action, racing down the line on Adelhard's back, splashing through the running shallows as he goes, encouraging the line to move, and to help one another, and where necessary, pulling someone up onto his horse to deposit them a little higher up the slope on the high side of the road. He did not hear the call about the ambush; but if he had, he would be exasperated. These pilgrims had nothing to steal - why rob them?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth had been walking amongst the pilgrims as a dwarf does not complain nor tire as easily as the Umgi. He would occasionally spell one of the humans pulling a handcart loaded with a lame friend or family member. While pulling the old, frail, sick or lame Gimgroth would ask them to entreat him with a family story or legend. He was in such a position when when the rainwaters surged toward the caravan and the cries of Flood! Flood! To the high ground! spread around the column.
    Wilhelm ye must carry your own father again and get to the high ground quickly now lad. Gimgroth called the young teen back to the handcart loaded with the boys lame father. He had noticed a nearby wagon driver was haven difficulty getting the wheels to grip as the ground rapidly became a slog of mud and water. Gimgroth sprung into action helping the larger Umgi driver out of his seat and taking his place behind the reins.
    Ya! Come now steeds we must move before ye drown.
    Under Gimgroth's hand the wagon loaded with supplies vital to the pilgrimage begins to surge forward through the muck. Eventually gaining drier footing as it creaked and strained up to higher ground. As he drove the horse forward Gimgroth repeated the call. Flood waters rise and so must we! After me if you wish to see Couronne.

In the back of Gimgroth's mind doubts swirled already they were facing difficulties and they haven't even reached the first waypoint. His thoughts turned toward Axe-Bite Pass and the rumors of the Skullsmasher Orcs and their recent raids of farms around Helmgart and Hochpointe.
    Show

DriveVs51 - (1d100)[13] Success!
    Fortune Point reroll if needed DriveVs51 - (1d100)[70]

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

the party finds a patch of high ground, and the laborious process of setting up the wagons commences. everyone gimme toughness or take a level of fatigue

when thats all done, lightning strikes and in the flash, you all see a dragon ogre lumber on by on the road

can i get a terror test at -20?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard manages to get his cart to dry ground without too much of any issue but is then yanked to the ground as he and his horse try to spook in different directions

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Bruno had just helped some people to get on dry ground when he saw the dragon ogre. Swallowing his lunch back down, he turned his horse around and charged down, his demilance ready to impale the dragon ogre in order to buy his friends time to reorganize themselves.

Spoiler: OOC round 1
    Show

charge with my warhorse: (1d100)[44] vs 56 (reroll FP if needed: (1d100)[15])

damage: (1d10+4)[13] or (1d10+4)[13] (impact quality)

if needed:
    Ulric's fury: (1d100)[36] vs 56 for extra damage: (1d10)[8]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

the demilance hits the dragon ogre's scales, and does minor damage before shattering. the dragon ogre roars in anger and will attempt to tail strike bruno off his horse, while the scaled forelegs slash at the horse

(1d100)[95]

(2d100)[62][42](104)

(1d10+8)[12]
    (1d10+8)[16]

the tail strike misses, but the two clawed legs strike deep.

after this, the dragon ogre opens the throttle and moves on past
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-10-17 at 01:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As his horse buckles under him from the blows, Bruno quickly slips out of the stirrups and jumps off, despite being burdened by the full plate. Seeing the critter run off away from the group, he decided wisely not to pursue it, at least not alone.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Well, ya don't see one of those every day, eh?" comments Jasmine as she spots the huge beast. Her pistol is almost instantly in her hand, but she stays her shot as Bruno charges down the hill. In a moment, the fight is over and the beast keeps going, so she rushes down the hill to where Bruno is recovering. "Taal's horns, did ya see the size of that thing? Course ya did, sorry about yer horse, poor beastie is ridin' with Taal's herds now, I reckon. Where's the thing goin? Should we chase it down? Mebbe figure out where it came from?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis pulls up Adelhard as he sees the tremendous figure in the pounding rain. And for a moment, his heart tight in his chest, his mind desperately makes connections that aren't there.

She has send this one to kill me.

And he can feel himself dying, like he almost died in Altdorf; in the dark, helpless to even land a redeeming blow-

He is out of his own body, now; watching himself make a desperate charge: lance shattering, Adelhard paying the price. But that's not him, is it? No - it's Bruno, in the armor recently gifted. And oh, the bloody spectacle of the steed struck down beneath him! This act, this rough and unforgivable equicide, snaps Bertelis back; and preparing his own lance, he spurs Adelhard to close the distance. But by then, the creature is gone, and Jasmine is already there to check on the baronet. When it's clear Bruno is alright, Bertelis regards the fallen horse with genuine sorrow; but gets about the necessary act of removing its saddle and harness.

"A dragon-ogre - horrific. A leftover of the Everchosen's hordes, perhaps; gone to ground near where his part of the warhost came apart. They live in the World's Edge Mountains, especially up toward Norsca. When storms come - " He glances up at the rain, and brewing thunder as he works, - "...they come out and dare the lightning, to spite the gods. He goes, perhaps, to a high place; and will return to his cave or lair as the storm gives out. On many days I would say chase - especially to avenge this noble charger - but we cannot leave the pilgrims! We must mark this place, and return with retribution another day!" A crack of lightning breifly illuminates the road, as if goading them to hurry. He hands off the saddle and tack to a couple of pilgrims who have come over to help, directing them to deposit it in one of the party's wagons. "Now, we must look to our charges - we dare not retreat to truly high ground, lest we encounter the creature or more of its kind - but we cannot stay in the path of the waters! We must take them, and the wagons, off the road and halfway up the slope, into the trees; and wait the wrath of the tempest past!"

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard picks himself up out of the mud, calmer now that the beast has departed but concerned that at least some of the pilgrims have fled into the woods.

We have two problems now: Some of our charges have fled and when their wits return they will need to find their way back

Secondly if someone was intending to ambush us, it was not that.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

the party gathers the fleeing supplicants and beds down for the night. can i get toughness tests or gain the common cold?

in the morning, the tents are struck and the caravan moves out. the logs have been pushed to the side by the floodwaters, allowing a path through

after another few hours of travel, you come across a carriage. the driver is dead, an orc arrow through the eye. baggage and bodies lie in the way of the path

can i get a wp test or take an ip

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth wakes from troubled dreams of Dragon Ogres dancing in lightning storms. Relieved to find the logs cleared by the floodwaters the pilgrimage caravan begins winding its way again.
    When they reach the site of the carriage ambush Gimgroth moves to the head of the line to help clear the bodies from the path. As he is clearing the bodies he does a quick search of the site to gain any knowledge or any valuables left unplundered.
    Show

Search - (1d100)[1] ohhh a 1 vs 28!
    Toughness and WP rolls in OOC forum. Both passed.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

The following morning, Bruno made sure he was up early to search for any missing horses that were not returned. He would use his riding horse (if it was still there), a bit sad that he didn't have his charger anymore. His lance was less a problem, as he was better with a sword and his pistol and without a warhorse it would be useless anyway. Hopefully he would be able to get another horse in Bretonnia.

When they arrived at the carriage, he immediately looked around. There was little he could do for the bodies (except maybe burry them) but this could also be an ambush. He quickly loaded his pistol, just in case. And he made a mental note to report this and the dragon ogre at the nearest authority.

Show

perception: (1d100)[93] vs 59

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

gimgroth: you find a single golden coin with a skull motif on it. as you pick it up, the wind begins to blow strong and the smell of salt begins to amplify on the wind

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard stays at the back, covering the rear quarter for any signs of ambush from that direction

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

the wind amplifies to a gale for a few seconds and then ceases. the caravan is alight with muttering. you hear things like "cursed endeavor" and "great what now"

can i get a fellowship roll at -10 to allay suspicions

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Jasmine wakes up the next morning with a rasping cough and rheumy eyes. She feels miserable and grouchy, but when the other pilgrims start complaining, she starts reminding them that they're heading towards good health and good fortune, and leaving disease and misfortune behind. Besides, she points out, the purpose of the pilgrimage is to overcome the trials of the path and become stronger by it. Or die trying...

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[93] v. 41 Fel (less whatever the penalty for being sick is)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis takes to riding ahead, now that Bruno is unhorsed of his battle steed; but he keeps parallel and checks in frequently with the baronet for what seems like small reasons. After a few such visits, with their probing, vague concerning questions, it might become clear to him that Bertelis is probing for a much deeper grief, over the loss of the horse - and seems almost wary and disbelieving when Bruno's sorrow is measured and statesmanly instead of poetic and rich.

The ambush site, though, is distressing to see.. but it's the least of the horrors they've experienced. He rides out to check the surrounds to see if there's another lingering ambush; but failing that, he checks to see the condition of the carriage; the fate of its horses; the fate of the occupants. Who did they seem to be? What were they doing?

He offers to Gimgroth, who seems to be rapidly taking account of the scene: "I am certain you noticed, also, the arrow is orc fletching. They might have taken the horses to eat later. If you find their prints, they may indicate the direction of the killer's flight."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"And let us have a prayer to Morr to take this man into His embrace and to ask Him to spare us the same fate for many years to come," Bruno added, as he didn't really want to talk too much about dying, "and not to worry, we're here to protect you."
    He led the group in a short prayer to Morr.

Show

let's see if the religious way works: (1d100)[21] vs 47 (57 if the charm skill applies)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

the religious aspect seems to work for now, and the muttering ceases.

grimgoth, you find orc tracks leading away from the carriage. ze tracks are several hours old, but you could follow them