New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Artificer Subclass - the Technomancer

The Technomancer

Technomancers use their magic to gain an intuitive understanding of how things work. They also revel in experimenting and improving items that other adventurers consider weak or pointless, imbuing them with new power.

Technomancer Spells: Starting at 3rd level, you always have certain spells prepared after you reach particular levels in this class, as shown in the Technomancer Spells table. These spells count as artificer spells for you, but they don't count against the number of artificer spells you prepare.

Artificer Level Technomancer Spells
    3rd Shield, Thunderwave
    5th Locate Object, Spiritual Weapon
    9th Counterspell, Lightning Bolt
    13th Compulsion, Ice Storm
    17th Passwall, Telekinesis

Intuitive Aptitude: Technomancers can understand any technology or magical device simply by touching it. Beginning at 3rd level:

• You gain proficiency with all weapons, improvised weapons, armor, tools, vehicles, and other objects.
    • You may use your Intelligence modifier instead of Strength or Dexterity for any attack or damage roll you make with a weapon, object, or magic item.
    • You can perform the somatic components of spells even if you are holding weapons, shields, and/or other objects in both hands, as long as at least one of them is a magic item (including magic weapons and shields).
    • You may cast Detect Magic and Identify at-will without expending a spell slot or using material components. These spells do not count against the number of artificer spells you prepare when used in this way.

Technomagic: Beginning at 3rd level, as a Bonus Action you take the Use an Object action or use a tool. You may only use this ability to activate, use, or attack with an object or tool in a way that would normally require an Action. And you may not activate a magic item. When you use this feature, then as part of the same Bonus Action you may also magically create the object you wish to use in a free hand. The object created must be non-magical, be capable of being held in one hand, weigh 25 pounds or less, cost 50 gold pieces or less, and it must be a generic version of the object being created. (For example, creating a key is possible, but not the correct key for a specific lock. Similarly, a dagger could be drawn, but not an accurate reproduction of the embossed dagger that belongs to the king). An object created only remains in existence for 10 minutes or until you use this feature again, at which point it ceases to exist. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Intelligence bonus. You regain expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Extra Attack: Starting at 5th level, you can attack twice, rather than once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Technomagic Enhancement: Starting at 9th level, when a mundane or magic item you are wielding or that you crafted requires a saving throw, you may replace its normal Saving Throw DC with your Artificer Spell Save DC.

Dual Enchantment: Starting at 15th level, you may use your Infuse Item feature on one object that is already a magic item, creating a single more powerful item. Any bonuses to your attack rolls, armor class, and/or saving throws do not stack, you only use the greater bonus for each. All other passive bonuses and benefits do stack, including bonuses to damage, and any other effects that trigger when you hit with a magic weapon. Once use your Infuse Item feature on an object that is already a magic item, you may not use it again on the same item, unless you end at least one of its previous infusions.

All other functions of the magic item (such as charges, activated abilities, your maximum number of infusions, number of attunements, etc) are managed and tracked separately, as if they were two separate magic items. You may not use this ability with the Homunculus Servant infusion, or on any other similar magic item that functions like a creature or can otherwise function autonomously. And only you may wield such magic items – if another creature attempts to do so all infusions on the magic item are immediately lost.

Design Notes: As noted in the introduction, the purpose of this homebrew it to make otherwise ignored mundane equipment and mediocre magic items useful. The mundane equipment list is filled with interesting things I almost never see used in real games. As a DM I once put an alchemy lab filled with Alchemist Fire, Acid, etc., in a dungeon for the PCs to find and use, guarded by a handful of kobolds. On the first turn the first player to act cast fireball on them, specifically asking if it would blow up the room before doing so. It did. It just doesn’t register with most players that such things might be useful.

Now, you may suggest using a Rogue with the Thief subclass, for the Fast Hands feature. Its got a lot of potential. (See this guide for an extensive list of what it can and can’t do). The problem is that characters don’t have proficiency in improvised weapons unless they take the Tavern Brawler Feat. And the Save DC’s for mundane equipment, and many other interesting magic items you might get at low levels, are all static low numbers and thus a terrible choice to use at mid-high levels. And most of the good objects can only be used once and are expensive. So I’m hoping this homebrew gives players a lot of fun new options, and I think the Artificer is really the perfect choice for it.

Open to all feedback. In particular, I’m not in love with the spell list. I’m going for a “makes items more useful” theme but all of those spells are already on the Artificer’s spell list, so instead I just picked things that seemed like a good addition to the mechanics of the subclass without being overpowering. (For example, I left off Haste, Greater Invisibility, Paladin and Ranger specific spells, etc). Doing my best to thread the needle here, giving the class good options without overshadowing other subclasses.

Also looking for a good Creative Commons picture, if anyone has one to suggest. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Artificer Subclass - the Technomancer

This may not be constructive feedback that you will like and I understand what you are trying to make here but, why would an artificer pick this archetype when their base class can already perform many of these features through the use of class features, spells, and magic items they create?

I would suggest turning this into a Rogue or Monk archetype.

Perhaps a rogue gadgeteer that gains proficiency in improvised weapons and has a limited use of the infused item artificer feature. Could even allow them to add their sneak attack damage to their alchemy damage rolls.
    In fact I might tinker with this ideal a bit more.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I agree with what Garfunion says, although I don't dislike this current version. Surely in my opinion there is room for more power, this subclass seems a bit weak at the moment.

Also, maybe I'd cut Thechnomagic's limited number of uses and add a spellslots cost, similar to a paladin's Smite.

4. - Top - End - #4

Your feedback is well taken. Thank you!

I've increased the uses of Technomagic to be twice your Intelligence bonus per short rest. That should give you plenty of Acid Flasks or whatever, without being able to spam it constantly. (Which would be an unbalanced Bonus Action, since it deals 2d6+Int or Dex damage each time, more then what other classes can do with their Bonus Actions, especially at low levels).

I'd be 100% fine with this being adapted into a Rogue or Monk subclass. But I like having it for the Artificer, because it fixes a very specific problem I have with their infusions. Many of them are cool at low levels, but useless at mid-high levels, either because of a low Save DC, or because the effects they provide are nice but not good enough in comparison to random magic items you can find or craft. The Technomagic Enhancement and Duel Enchantment features fix this.

Further ideas are certainly welcome.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Your feedback is well taken. Thank you!

I've increased the uses of Technomagic to be twice your Intelligence bonus per short rest. That should give you plenty of Acid Flasks or whatever, without being able to spam it constantly. (Which would be an unbalanced Bonus Action, since it deals 2d6+Int or Dex damage each time, more then what other classes can do with their Bonus Actions, especially at low levels).
    The artificer has access to the acid splash cantrip and other damage dealing cantrips. Depending on the archetype you choose you also have a bonus action damage ability.

Alchemy jug can produce up to two vials of acid a day, combine that with the catapult spell (and spell storing item feature) to circumvent the improvised weapon penalty.

But I like having it for the Artificer, because it fixes a very specific problem I have with their infusions. Many of them are cool at low levels, but useless at mid-high levels, either because of a low Save DC, or because the effects they provide are nice but not good enough in comparison to random magic items you can find or craft. The Technomagic Enhancement and Duel Enchantment features fix this.
    Which infusions are you talking about? And which non-magical item would work better than a spell.

Like I said this would probably work better on a class that doesn’t have access to spells/spell slots.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Which infusions are you talking about? And which non-magical item would work better than a spell.

Like I said this would probably work better on a class that doesn’t have access to spells/spell slots.
    The Technomagic Enhancement feature is specifically to fix a subset of the items made by the Replicate Magic Item infusion; Eyes of Charming, Pipes of Haunting, Horn of Blasting, and any other common magic item that might require a Save DC useful. Artificers are also highly likely to craft other cheap magic items, and this feature can make those items worthwhile. It also makes the Save DC on poisons, traps, alchemist fire, etc, meaningful at any level.

Though again, I have zero objection to these features being used as a subclass for another class. For example, this could be used as a fix for the underwhelming Thief Rogue subclass:
    • 3rd level: Intuitive Aptitude, Technomagic (per Technomancer), Second Story Work (per RAW Thief)
    • 9th level: Technomagic Enhancement (per Technomancer)
    • 13th level: Supreme Sneak, Use Magic Device (per RAW Thief)
    • 17th level: Thief's Reflexes (per RAW Thief)

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    The Technomagic Enhancement feature is specifically to fix a subset of the items made by the Replicate Magic Item infusion; Eyes of Charming, Pipes of Haunting, Horn of Blasting, and any other common magic item that might require a Save DC useful. Artificers are also highly likely to craft other cheap magic items, and this feature can make those items worthwhile. It also makes the Save DC on poisons, traps, alchemist fire, etc, meaningful at any level.

Though again, I have zero objection to these features being used as a subclass for another class. For example, this could be used as a fix for the underwhelming Thief Rogue subclass:
    • 3rd level: Intuitive Aptitude, Technomagic (per Technomancer), Second Story Work (per RAW Thief)
    • 9th level: Technomagic Enhancement (per Technomancer)
    • 13th level: Supreme Sneak, Use Magic Device (per RAW Thief)
    • 17th level: Thief's Reflexes (per RAW Thief)
    If that’s the most major part about this archetype I will suggest turning it into a feat. Which allows the user to add their proficiency (or half) bonus to the item’s DC.