New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Star Wars: Andor BBY5

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    New episode:

Do we know what Luthen and Kleya were talking about? What's the other piece?

Just to help me get my head around it, because I've been watching this series week by week and so may be forgetting things. Next week is the last episode, so here's where things stand.

Spoiler
    Show

Cassian's sister: His search for her is the precipitating event. I'm doubtful we'll see her next episode, but we may get some more info.

Kreegyr: About to attack the power station; ISB knows about it. I wonder if we'll see the attack. Saw was successfully called off and won't be participating.

Ferrix: Bix still in custody, looks in really bad shape.
    There will be a funeral in 2 days.
    ISB agent in place. (Is Dedra coming herself?)
    Cinta in place. (I don't think Luthen / Vel are coming?)
    Syril is on his way.
    Cassian and Melshi separate and I assume Cassian's coming.

Mon Mothma seems like she's acceding to the gangster's request to set up his son with her daughter.

Anything else I'm missing?

Spoiler
    Show
    Contextually the other piece is Andor. Luthen was asking about the 'other piece' ie the other loose end that can lead back to him. Kleya talks bout having 'buyers on site[?]' referring to Cinta being in place and probably loose cannon Vel going to see her. Luthen wants to go himself to [Speculative] eliminate or recruit Andor as a loose end leading back to him. I don't think Dedra is going herself. I'm not sure if Andor is going himself, it's stupid but possible since he doesn't seem to know about the massive manhunt for him. I suspect we'll see Luthen and Andor both go Ferrix in the next episode, all the pieces are being set up for a confrontation there.

Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    Some low grade predictions. Luthen gets seen / identified by Syril who leverages this into a position at the ISB or killed for it. ISB seems more likely with Kleya getting burned/killed.
    Alternatively, Andor ends up rescuing Luthen from Syril who dies convinced of his own righteousness. Either way, Luthen fully recruits Andor offering a way out of his current problems, Andor with nothing left to lose accepts and joins the rebellion proper.
    I expect Cinta or Vel to die, most likely Cinta. This would set up a season 2 plot where Vel agrees to a political/cover marriage to the gangster to (1) solve Mon Mothma's problem (2) obtain more resources for the rebellion (3) spare/rescue her niece from a bad situation.

Side comment: Luthen's ship lightsabers are wild impractically and totally cool, Star Wars at its best and 1000% matching the original style/aesthetic. Although I seem to remember having seen the ship in generic promo material without realizing what it was and thinking it was going to be some sort of Sith or Dark Side users craft. The tractor beam countermeasures were cool and feasible, but no way they should have taken that long to charge. I realize it was completely for the drama so that's only a small quibble. The same effect could have been achieved by stretching out the hyperspace jump calculation time or needing to get clear for the jump. Also 3 'clicks' assuming [km] is nothing in modern air fight range let alone futuristic space flight.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2022-11-17 at 01:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

New episode:

Do we know what Luthen and Kleya were talking about? What's the other piece?

Just to help me get my head around it, because I've been watching this series week by week and so may be forgetting things. Next week is the last episode, so here's where things stand.

Spoiler
    Show

Cassian's sister: His search for her is the precipitating event. I'm doubtful we'll see her next episode, but we may get some more info.

Kreegyr: About to attack the power station; ISB knows about it. I wonder if we'll see the attack. Saw was successfully called off and won't be participating.

Ferrix: Bix still in custody, looks in really bad shape.
    There will be a funeral in 2 days.
    ISB agent in place. (Is Dedra coming herself?)
    Cinta in place. (I don't think Luthen / Vel are coming?)
    Syril is on his way.
    Cassian and Melshi separate and I assume Cassian's coming.

Mon Mothma seems like she's acceding to the gangster's request to set up his son with her daughter.

Anything else I'm missing?

Well now you got me feeling all smart because I thought it was obvious but maybe it wasn't and I'm just cool like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The piece is Cassian Andor. Luthen already mentioned being sloppy when he recruited Andor, and whats-his-face's attempted betrayal screwed things up - instead of Andor staying in the fold, he took his share and booked it before anyone else could stop him. They have no idea where he is, he's a loose end that can readily identify Luthen and Vel, and if he gets caught their whole enterprise collapses. Luthen wants to go look himself for Andor but with his agents already on planet looking for him they don't need him in person, as well as with the Imperials and ISB specifically being in force on Ferrix it's too hot. Luthen believes he can handle it, though, especially considering the importance of containing Cassian.
    And there's the conversation fully explained.

ETA: The conversation in question. It should make perfect sense once you consider that context above.
    Spoiler: Spy stuff!
    Show

Luthen: I'm most curious about the other piece.
    Kleya: Your presence would complicate the bidding at this point.
    L: We need that piece. We lose that and we'll have to close up shop.
    K: It's a crowded market.
    L: You need to think of the consequences of losing that piece to another collector.
    K: There's nothing more you can do.
    L: That's never true.

That last line also says a lot about the lengths he's willing to go to.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-11-17 at 01:52 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just popping in to say that Luthan currently has my vote as the most badass non-Jedi in the SWU.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

When I watched the first episode I was expecting another Obi Wan and almost didn't watch the second. My spouse convinced me to watch the second episode and it was good. We waited a bit to watch the third. By the 4th I was hooked.
    Now having watched up to 11 I'm thinking this is the best Star Wars show so far with Mandalorian as a close second.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for all the answers about Luthen and Kleya's conversation.

Second question about Mon Mothma.

Spoiler: Money
    Show

So, Mon Mothma's dilemma is that she has a hole in her family accounts. She's been pulling money from her trust to support the Rebellion, hiding it as charitable giving, but auditors are about to examine her books and discover money missing, so she needs to find a funding source to fill that hole.

The only option at the moment from her banker is the gangster. Isn't Luthen sitting on a ridiculous sum of money from the Aldhani raid and doesn't Vel know about that money?

Why does she not simply ask Luthen to borrow the money to fill the hole. Having a senator not go to jail that knows who he is seems like something he would want to avoid.

Then after the auditors are done, she can go through her banker and discreetly move more money.

I must be missing something.

Last edited by Joran; 2022-11-18 at 01:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Show

So, Mon Mothma's dilemma is that she has a hole in her family accounts. She's been pulling money from her trust to support the Rebellion, hiding it as charitable giving, but auditors are about to examine her books and discover money missing, so she needs to find a funding source to fill that hole.

The only option at the moment from her banker is the gangster. Isn't Luthen sitting on a ridiculous sum of money from the Aldhani raid and doesn't Vel know about that money?

Why does she not simply ask Luthen to borrow the money to fill the hole. Having a senator not go to jail that knows who he is seems like something he would want to avoid.

Then after the auditors are done, she can go through her banker and discreetly move more money.

Mon does not know, for sure, that Luthen was behind that action, nor does she know Val was involved

7. - Top - End - #157

Show

Spoiler: Don't do crime. Plans like that are how people get caught. Alsocrimeisbad
    Show
    She needs clean money. The bank heist money is just money coming in from nowhere, because it was stolen from an Imperial base (assuming he even has it anymore and hasn't distributed it all already). Davo can supply her with laundered, "clean" money. The Imps can trace it all they want and find no issues to hang Mon Mothma or Davo on. That's not the case with the stolen loot from Aldhani.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Mon does not know, for sure, that Luthen was behind that action
    Sure she does.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-11-18 at 03:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Sure she does.
    Doh, you're right..was thinking of another...but yeah, even though it was never said, it was clear

As for the needed resource she's looking to get:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure that is the reason either. I'm seeing it as if they want to basically offset that 400k withdrawal with a deposit that does not have a source; like they 400k was taken out, but nothing was ever done with it, and just put back in. Cash would be perfect for that, not a tracked loan or transfer from somewhere that would lead to question why the money was coming from that source or why 400k was now on the wrong side of the ledger

I am thinking that it has to do more with honour (and it being blood money) and not wanting to be tangentially responsible for all the bad things that came from the taking of that cash. She's a bit of a straight arrow when it comes to that. Given her situation though, she's not going to have many choices to do this the right way
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2022-11-18 at 04:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

As for the needed resource she's looking to get:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure that is the reason either. I'm seeing it as if they want to basically offset that 400k withdrawal with a deposit that does not have a source; like they 400k was taken out, but nothing was ever done with it, and just put back in. Cash would be perfect for that, not a tracked loan or transfer from somewhere that would lead to question why the money was coming from that source or why 400k was now on the wrong side of the ledger
    Spoiler: The source
    Show
    Taking out 400,000 in cash and replacing it later is suspicious as all hell. There'd be questions about why she did it and what the money was doing until it got re-deposited, which are questions she can't answer. Davo provides answers to any such questions, along with the money, and can provide the receipts of needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am thinking that it has to do more with honour (and it being blood money) and not wanting to be tangentially responsible for all the bad things that came from the taking of that cash. She's a bit of a straight arrow when it comes to that. Given her situation though, she's not going to have many choices to do this the right way
    Spoiler: Blood money
    Show
    You think Davo's money isn't blood money? He's no moral high ground, and he also is wanting Mon Mothma to sell her daughter to procure his services. There is no "right way" available to her. She is severely morally compromised already, and taking some Aldhani money isn't going to make things any worse. If you want to talk about blood money, her arms are already red and dripping with Davo's assistance. She needs an explanation for everything, not just a simple ledger. Again, just taking the quick and easy kludge to prop up a case is how criminals get caught. Give it a shake and the whole thing comes crashing down. She needs stability, something that can weather a storm of scrutiny and still be standing when it's all done.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-11-21 at 11:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contextually the other piece is Andor. Luthen was asking about the 'other piece' ie the other loose end that can lead back to him. Kleya talks bout having 'buyers on site[?]' referring to Cinta being in place and probably loose cannon Vel going to see her. Luthen wants to go himself to [Speculative] eliminate or recruit Andor as a loose end leading back to him. I don't think Dedra is going herself. I'm not sure if Andor is going himself, it's stupid but possible since he doesn't seem to know about the massive manhunt for him. I suspect we'll see Luthen and Andor both go Ferrix in the next episode, all the pieces are being set up for a confrontation there.

Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    Some low grade predictions. Luthen gets seen / identified by Syril who leverages this into a position at the ISB or killed for it. ISB seems more likely with Kleya getting burned/killed.
    Alternatively, Andor ends up rescuing Luthen from Syril who dies convinced of his own righteousness. Either way, Luthen fully recruits Andor offering a way out of his current problems, Andor with nothing left to lose accepts and joins the rebellion proper.
    I expect Cinta or Vel to die, most likely Cinta. This would set up a season 2 plot where Vel agrees to a political/cover marriage to the gangster to (1) solve Mon Mothma's problem (2) obtain more resources for the rebellion (3) spare/rescue her niece from a bad situation.

Side comment: Luthen's ship lightsabers are wild impractically and totally cool, Star Wars at its best and 1000% matching the original style/aesthetic. Although I seem to remember having seen the ship in generic promo material without realizing what it was and thinking it was going to be some sort of Sith or Dark Side users craft. The tractor beam countermeasures were cool and feasible, but no way they should have taken that long to charge. I realize it was completely for the drama so that's only a small quibble. The same effect could have been achieved by stretching out the hyperspace jump calculation time or needing to get clear for the jump. Also 3 'clicks' assuming [km] is nothing in modern air fight range let alone futuristic space flight.
    Spoiler: Countermeasures
    Show
    My thought was that the charge time was not just for the tractor-beam killers, but for all his weapon systems.

The Fondor's supposed to be a light, common ship. Its weapons are hidden, and presumably not kept "ready for action" (which probably helps keep them hidden from scans by suspicious authority figures). The "charge time" is how long it takes to "warm them up", "charge their capacitors", etc.

No idea if that was the intended interpretation, but that's what it seemed like to me. Also, there were some blue sparky-things as the projectiles hit the dish. Idk if that's supposed to be the dish shorting under damage, or some sort of ion-cannon-like effect, which would in turn imply that the projectiles needed to be "charged up" to deliver it.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's a great article about why Andor is the best Star Wars thing to come out in years and years (and one of the best TV series of 2022) in the Guardian HERE.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

12. - Top - End - #162

Just now going into the 12th episode, but I did want to note that I've stopped skipping by the intro as each week, while the basic theme never changes, each episode it grows and evolves and gives a bit of on insight to each chapter. This week's intro gave me goosebumps ;)

EDIT: OK, all done with watching the first time and really really disappointed. Disappointed that I'm going to have to wait a year or more to see more of this absolute monster of a show!

I'm going to continue digesting a bit before I come back and really comment, but one thing (and I was so wrong with back a few episodes where I posted we'll probably never know ;) ) BE SURE TO WATCH AFTER THE CREDITS --- You'll be rewarded for all of those sleepless nights of wondering what the heck those were ;)
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2022-11-23 at 07:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163

NecromancerGuy

I got up early to watch the season finale before work, so I wouldn't spend all day anticipating anx worrying about spoilers.

Definitely worth it. I'll share thoughts later, but for nkw I'll just say that this is a magnificent piece of television.

Mando Season One was a lot of fun and great Star Wars and TV,. Andor is a masterpiece.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    I got up early to watch the season finale before work, so I wouldn't spend all day anticipating anx worrying about spoilers.
    I do the same thing with the whole show (and Mandalorian. And Kenobi. Basically every Star War show), but less to avoid spoilers and more so I can discuss with friends as soon as they ready, or on here. I been ready to talk about this since 6am.

Anyway, it was really good and would have been a perfectly satisfying conclusion to the season if not for one pretty major hanging chad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They still haven't showed us anything about the Weights and Gauges department! Imean really, it's just plain not fair for thr Bureau of Standards to tease us like this.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Haven’t had a chance to watch today’s episode yet, but I noticed that the first episode of the series is apparently broadcasting on ABC tonight.

Will the entire series be shown on ABC? Can’t recall any other Disney+ series jumping to broadcast TV.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Haven’t had a chance to watch today’s episode yet, but I noticed that the first episode of the series is apparently broadcasting on ABC tonight.

Will the entire series be shown on ABC? Can’t recall any other Disney+ series jumping to broadcast TV.
    I believe so. Also FX and Hulu.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Disney has noted that Andor is a hit with viewers but people simply aren’t giving it a chance.
    So they’re airing a few episodes where everyone can see it.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Just finished the finale. Gripping and superb.

Spoiler
    Show
    As always, Fiona Shaw stole the show. And the music of the dirge was unexpectedly powerful.

The convergence of nearly every major character on Rix Road had a cinematic logic to it, but I’m not quite sure what Syril and his sarge were doing there. Did Syril really make the journey just to be ready to rescue the ISB officer? Or was he planning to collar Andor himself?

Either way, I’m surprised she didn’t kill him for having witnessed her in a state of less than total control. I was halfway expecting that; but maybe now she has actual feelings to wrestle with.

(Season Two: Twisted Petty Tyrants in Love.)

And I agree with runeghost and Maelstrom that this will take some musing and digesting before sharing any more detailed thoughts. Hopefully the digesting will take less than a thousand years.

Spoiler: Stinger
    Show
    Slightly disappointed at the reveal that they were building parts of the Death Star. Doesn’t the Empire have any other sinister weapons projects?

And haven’t we seen the dish-assembly process before, but with more star destroyers and Moff Tarkin? Feels like too much of a contrived oh-cool moment.

19. - Top - End - #169

Spoiler
    Show
    Or was he planning to collar Andor himself?
    Yes.
    Spoiler: Stinger
    Show
    Slightly disappointed at the reveal that they were building parts of the Death Star. Doesn’t the Empire have any other sinister weapons projects?

And haven’t we seen the dish-assembly process before, but with more star destroyers and Moff Tarkin? Feels like too much of a contrived oh-cool moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was also hoping for not-the-Death-Star and that it was a component in walker footpads or TIE wing connector assemblies or something, but I've Gilroy said it was important I figured it was defo Death Star. And while I dislike it for small-universe-syndrome, it does make thematic sense that Andor was building the tool of his own destruction.... But yeah, why couldn't it have been TIE fighter components?

Also, here the suoermaser dish assembly is still being consteuxted. In Rogue 1 it was fully constructed and just being assembled with the station as the final part.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-11-23 at 11:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

I am literally having to catch my breath after watching the finale.

Right now I can’t think of a better show in recent years. Not just Disney+, since that would be a painfully low bar, but any show on any channel or platform.

21. - Top - End - #171

I am literally having to catch my breath after watching the finale.

Right now I can’t think of a better show in recent years. Not just Disney+, since that would be a painfully low bar, but any show on any channel or platform.
    Might I recommend Better Call Saul?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Don't do crime. Plans like that are how people get caught. Alsocrimeisbad
    Show
    She needs clean money. The bank heist money is just money coming in from nowhere, because it was stolen from an Imperial base (assuming he even has it anymore and hasn't distributed it all already). Davo can supply her with laundered, "clean" money. The Imps can trace it all they want and find no issues to hang Mon Mothma or Davo on. That's not the case with the stolen loot from Aldhani.
    Spoiler: Last episode
    Show

Indeed. So she needed both the money and a plausible explanation / source for the money.

Absolute masterstroke by Mon. She gets the money from Davo Sculdun, an unsavory character, but explains it as her husband trying to hide his gambling losses. So, she shouldn't have much trouble with the Imperial auditors.

However, her family and home life on the other hand...

23. - Top - End - #173

DwarfClericGuy

Yes.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was also hoping for not-the-Death-Star and that it was a component in walker footpads or TIE wing connector assemblies or something, but I've Gilroy said it was important I figured it was defo Death Star. And while I dislike it for small-universe-syndrome, it does make thematic sense that Andor was building the tool of his own destruction.... But yeah, why couldn't it have been TIE fighter components?

Also, here the suoermaser dish assembly is still being consteuxted. In Rogue 1 it was fully constructed and just being assembled with the station as the final part.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I agree entirely but I want to further grouse about it being a POST CREDIT scene. You get no points for being thematic if it's NOT actually included in the actual SHOW were the themes are SUPPOSED to be. I didn't even realize there was a scene until someone mentioned it here and then I went to watch it.

That's a very complete looking Death Star, super maser excepted. Doesn't really look like there's 5 years of work left to get it functioning, especially compared to the RotJ incomplete but fully functional battle station.

24. - Top - End - #174

Is it just me or at about 23 minutes in, where the flute players are warming up, it sounds like the flute players are warming up with the Original Trilogy theme (but are cut off before much too much of the melody develops)?

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I agree entirely but I want to further grouse about it being a POST CREDIT scene. You get no points for being thematic if it's NOT actually included in the actual SHOW were the themes are SUPPOSED to be. I didn't even realize there was a scene until someone mentioned it here and then I went to watch it.

That's a very complete looking Death Star, super maser excepted. Doesn't really look like there's 5 years of work left to get it functioning, especially compared to the RotJ incomplete but fully functional battle station.
    Actually that I like.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It has no actual bearing on the plot whatsoever and is nothing more than a small Easter Egg of knowledge for the audience. That's perfect for a post-credit scene. Those who niss it lose out on virtually nothing and it is wholly irrelevant to the story.

Also, devils advocate, the second Death Star being functional was part of a specific and deliberate trap. It wasn't supposed to be and surprised the attackers completely.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
    Is it just me or at about 23 minutes in....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Went back and watched that section and it didn’t seem like it to me—just instruments warming up.

That would be a bit too blatantly meta for the scene. It works in something like Amazing Spider-Man, when his ringtone is the old Spidey theme, but not for the sombre tone and rising tension of the funeral march.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Latest episode.
    Show
    A decent ending though I did find it mildly funny that I've seen less restraint from police in the real world than the evil empire during protests. Though suppose that's about as far as I can go into that.

For the good; the music particularly the in universe parts, both the speeches both from the recording from naïve kid and the mother character, Mon Mothmas parts. the riot scene. Even though I haven't gone into as much detail as the stuff below this covers the majority of the episode.

The average; The rebel character stabbing the ISB agent I'd have actually found it more interesting the other way I don't really find this character killing a low level ISB agent worth as much time as it was given. Meanwhile the reverse could actually create some good character moments.

The stuff I didn't like; why does the antiques dealer feel the need to go everywhere, I could understand it when meeting Saul he needed that personal touch but for this mission it's just insane. He's standing in full view of an ISB outpost, if they check the tapes after to start identifying people he's going to stand out like a sore thumb. So far the ISB has been pretty awful at facial recognition tech (See Andor being able to be sent to a prison facility without his arrest warrant showing up) so it almost seems like it's not a thing until they have full holographic facial scans of people in some scenes so they obviously do.
    Death Star post credits scene it was pretty obvious what those things where going to end up getting used for but I'd have preferred them to be attached to something that could play a part in this series which we know it doesn't since they don't know about it until Rogue One.
    Andor, still by far the weakest part of the series. The show seems to recognise this though.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    naïve kid
    I would say he's the farthest from naive of any character in the Star Wars universe to date.
    Show
    .The stuff I didn't like; why does the antiques dealer feel the need to go everywhere, I could understand it when meeting Saul he needed that personal touch but for this mission it's just insane.
    Spoiler: He says why at the end of episode 11.
    Show
    If the Empire catches Andor then he loses everything. It's absolutely vital to contain him and its been months at this point. They don't know Andor has been on prison. All they know is he disappeared like a ghost and this is so far the only lead they've had and so far as they can tell it's the only lead they will ever have. It's too important to let skip through and he's paranoid they'll miss him

Kleida tells him they already have operatives there for him. She tells him the Empire is on the ground en force. She tells him it's too risky. And he just keeps saying it's too important to not go.

You can argue about whether he was right or not, but we know exactly why he went there.
    Also I disagree about sticking out like a sore thumb.

29. - Top - End - #179

ClericGuy

Show
    So far the ISB has been pretty awful at facial recognition tech (See Andor being able to be sent to a prison facility without his arrest warrant showing up) so it almost seems like it's not a thing until they have full holographic facial scans of people in some scenes so they obviously do.
    I mean, I'm a bit sympathetic, but it is absolutely clear that this technology either just doesn't exist, or doesn't work at all in Star Wars. Yes, people take photos of stuff and then use that to make up bounties, they don't run it through some database to instantly find the guy (except for the Mandalorian with its weird tracking fobs that then disappear from the universe). Whether its due to sheer size, or tech limitations is unclear, but it's just not a thing.

Really enjoyed that episode and the bit about control being an illusion is proven pretty clearly for both Dedra and Luthen. Massively excited for season 2, which is coming out in...2024, probably. Argh!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I would say he's the farthest from naive of any character in the Star Wars universe to date.

Spoiler: He says why at the end of episode 11.
    Show
    If the Empire catches Andor then he loses everything. It's absolutely vital to contain him and its been months at this point. They don't know Andor has been on prison. All they know is he disappeared like a ghost and this is so far the only lead they've had and so far as they can tell it's the only lead they will ever have. It's too important to let skip through and he's paranoid they'll miss him

Kleida tells him they already have operatives there for him. She tells him the Empire is on the ground en force. She tells him it's too risky. And he just keeps saying it's too important to not go.

You can argue about whether he was right or not, but we know exactly why he went there.
    Also I disagree about sticking out like a sore thumb.
    Spoiler: Sore thumb meaning
    Show
    By sore thumb I mean they are going to run the face of everyone in the crowd and it's going to be local, local, local, local, coruscant art dealer with no reason to be on the planet and is being regularly visited by member of Mothma clan. You know what he could do to completely remove that issue and for it to make more sense. Wear a mask. My point wasn't that he was there more that he was taking zero precautions except occasionally having his hood up.

I'd disagree about him being naive but that was just a way for me to describe him since I'm awful with names.

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
    I mean, I'm a bit sympathetic, but it is absolutely clear that this technology either just doesn't exist, or doesn't work at all in Star Wars. Yes, people take photos of stuff and then use that to make up bounties, they don't run it through some database to instantly find the guy (except for the Mandalorian with its weird tracking fobs that then disappear from the universe). Whether its due to sheer size, or tech limitations is unclear, but it's just not a thing.

Really enjoyed that episode and the bit about control being an illusion is proven pretty clearly for both Dedra and Luthen. Massively excited for season 2, which is coming out in...2024, probably. Argh!
    Another point for the empire being less dystopian than modern reality then, I do think that's something I'd like to see abit more of in this show to be honest the everyday oppression going on in the empire they've touched on it afew times but it'd be interesting to see more. I've been playing shipbreaker recently and can't help but finding alot of the commentary in that preferable to modern day.