New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Nightscale armor seems pretty good?

I was looking at mundane armor types and I found this in the Underdark sourcebook.

+2 AC and a max Dex bonus of +10, with only 5% ACF and no Exotic proficiency actually seems real nice? It's a strict upgrade to padded armor for one, and if you can get around the ACF somehow it's even better than thistledown. High level rogues or rangers or whatnot don't even have to worry about that, either.

Sure your AC might be better with Bracers of Armor et al. but this still actually seems pretty decent.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Nightscale armor seems pretty good?

I thought you did beed exotic armour proficiency for it? I need to reread that when I’m back at my books
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Surprisingly, no. In the table, spidersilk armor is listed as exotic, but nightscale and chitine web aren't. Heck, it's even lighter than thistledown.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Usually the penalty for not having armor proficiency is a penalty on attack rolls and str/dex ability checks and skill checks. Since the ACF is 0, it seems the point is moot except for some edge case where armor proficiency in that armor is needed as a prerequisite for something.

That said, the text seems to describe it as an exotic armor.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

For a high Dex character, you end up with AC equivalent to the standard Mithril Chain + Dastana + Chahar-Aina + more moderate Dex, but you benefit from a higher touch AC. However, I believe you can also do Thistledown padded + Mithril Dastana + Chahar-Aina for slightly more AC?

In the SRD, you also have Celestial Chainmail at +5 base armor +8 dex and (epic)Celestial battalion at +5 base armor +10 dex.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Usually the penalty for not having armor proficiency is a penalty on attack rolls and str/dex ability checks and skill checks. Since the ACF is 0, it seems the point is moot except for some edge case where armor proficiency in that armor is needed as a prerequisite for something.

That said, the text seems to describe it as an exotic armor.
    Honestly, the wording really sounds like that means an exotic type of armor rather than the armor requiring the Exotic Armor Proficiency feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    For a high Dex character, you end up with AC equivalent to the standard Mithril Chain + Dastana + Chahar-Aina + more moderate Dex, but you benefit from a higher touch AC. However, I believe you can also do Thistledown padded + Mithril Dastana + Chahar-Aina for slightly more AC?

In the SRD, you also have Celestial Chainmail at +5 base armor +8 dex and (epic)Celestial battalion at +5 base armor +10 dex.
    Well the Armor of the Celestial Battalion being epic automatically locks it out of 99.99999% games and most theorycrafting as well, so that's moot. Celestial Chainmail's great though.

Also the rules for dastana and chahar-aina are weird. I'm not entirely sure if you can enchant them and get additional armor/shield bonuses that way...? And there's nothing to suggest that if they work with thistledown padding they can't work for nightscale armor, no?

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Honestly, the wording really sounds like that means an exotic type of armor rather than the armor requiring the Exotic Armor Proficiency feat.
    The wording of the fluff is also kinda irrelevant. If it doesn't say "this requires the Exotic Armor Proficiency feat", and it's not listed in a table with the "Exotic Armors" heading (the way such tables have in books like Races Of Stone), then it's not Exotic ArmorTM, it's just armor that is in-universe kinda exotic.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Also the rules for dastana and chahar-aina are weird. I'm not entirely sure if you can enchant them and get additional armor/shield bonuses that way...?
    Dragon Magazine #318 page 42 says that enhancement bonuses on these do not stack but they can each be enchanted with different specials.
    And there's nothing to suggest that if they work with thistledown padding they can't work for nightscale armor, no?
    My understanding is that thistledown padding _is_ padded armor which happens to be made out of thistledown. Nightscale armor is "much like leather armor, except that it is much more supple and formfitting" but perhaps not technically leather armor. Of course, DM mileage may vary.

Incidentally, Shadowsilk Padded (Tome of Magic, page 156) is much like thistledown padded. Shadowsilk Leather+Mithril Dastana+Chahar-Aina provides AC+4/max dex+8, for another competitor point.

And at the very high end, you have Gnomish Twist Cloth with no dex maximum at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The wording of the fluff is also kinda irrelevant. If it doesn't say "this requires the Exotic Armor Proficiency feat", and it's not listed in a table with the "Exotic Armors" heading (the way such tables have in books like Races Of Stone), then it's not Exotic ArmorTM, it's just armor that is in-universe kinda exotic.
    Armor proficiency also doesn't seem particularly relevant since you have a 0 penalty to use when nonproficient.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Nightscale still seems pretty good nevertheless.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Nightscale still seems pretty good nevertheless.
    Yup, agreed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The window where your Dex is high enough to want nightscale armor but also not high enough to want bondleaf wrap...I mean, it's a small window, but it certainly exists.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

The issue with super high dexterity armor in general is that by the time your dex is high enough to take advantage, you can usually buy something that emulates a spell or power that gives more AC.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The issue with super high dexterity armor in general is that by the time your dex is high enough to take advantage, you can usually buy something that emulates a spell or power that gives more AC.
    The extra cushion on your max dex isn't the only reason to take this armor. 5% ASF and -0 ACP is practically perfect, and it's only 1000 gp. It's a little cheaper than a Mithril Chain Shirt, and trades 2 points of AC for 4 points of max Dex and 10% ASF in comparison to MCS. +500 gp and you can knock off the remaining 5%. 1500 gp for +2 AC that doesn't require armor proficiency, doesn't interfere with spellcasting, and effectively doesn't have a max dex, in a single slot. That's 2500 gp cheaper than bracers of armor.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I mean, if you are rocking a whopping +10 DEX mod, you can probably afford a wand of Mage Armor, even a high CL one.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, but there's always armor enchantments to consider. And it's a strict upgrade to leather armor aside the cost.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The extra cushion on your max dex isn't the only reason to take this armor. 5% ASF and -0 ACP is practically perfect, and it's only 1000 gp. It's a little cheaper than a Mithril Chain Shirt
    Well yeah, but a mithral chain shirt is better for most characters because it gives 4 base AC instead of 2. And can be raised to 6 with addons. Nightscale is only good if you actually are making use of the dexterity capacity, which probably isn't happening until your levels are double digits even if dexterity is your main stat. If you evaluate armor purely on ac + max dex then nightscale is decent, but it's only going to be valuable to a small minority of characters who find themselves with the dex to make use of the super high max dex but not any more than that since then they're better off without it.

and trades 2 points of AC for 4 points of max Dex and 10% ASF in comparison to MCS. +500 gp and you can knock off the remaining 5%. 1500 gp for +2 AC that doesn't require armor proficiency, doesn't interfere with spellcasting, and effectively doesn't have a max dex, in a single slot.
    Or you could spend 1000gp on a pearl of power and cast mage armor? Or buy a mithral chainshirt with caster armor and githcraft for a similar price and 2-4 more AC depending on what addons you can mitigate? Or cast Greater Mage Armor if you're okay with eating the slot cost? Or a wand of greater mage armor which costs less and has 50 uses?

That's 2500 gp cheaper than bracers of armor.
    Not really what you want to compare to, since bracers aren't very good.

Sure, but there's always armor enchantments to consider. And it's a strict upgrade to leather armor aside the cost.
    If you want a base for enchantments you just use clothing or gnome twistcloth.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fairly sure you can't use normal clothes for that.

Also, you get a high Dex armor without looking like you're wearing a winter jacket. That's got to mean something.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #18

I think whenever I’ve used nightscale it’s usually when I want a formfitting bodysuit for a superhero character based build. Usually with a signature crest for their chest emblem
    OI YOU! Join this one Discord where people talk 3.5 stuff! Also chicken infested related things! It’s pretty rad! https://discord.gg/6HmgXhUZ

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Well yeah, but a mithral chain shirt is better for most characters because it gives 4 base AC instead of 2. And can be raised to 6 with addons.
    I know that Reinforced would account for one of those 2 added-on. What accounts for the other 1 base ac added-on if it isn't max dex increase?

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    I know that Reinforced would account for one of those 2 added-on. What accounts for the other 1 base ac added-on if it isn't max dex increase?
    Dastana + Chahar-Aina. each adds +1. i dont think reinforced was considered.