New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting (if maybe suboptimal) weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Oh right, I found the Lynxpaw. That one's odd but interesting. -snip-

Sure it looks kinda dumb, but let's be real. The historical inaccuracies and unrealistic weapons would make actual weapon experts weep already. This isn't even the worst.(I mean seriously, I'm pretty sure weapons don't weigh that much!)
    Stage weapons can, but real weapons have thinner blades—both because that's important on the battlefield and because stage weapons aren't supposed to be sharp.

But yeah, I can definitely imagine lynxpaws that are more reasonable chain weapons than the typical fantasy flail. Dunno what kind is depicted in the actual art, but hey.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Poison rings are also, y'know, rings, and they can be enhanced as both rings and weapons. Which means that combining the two can lead to some interesting results. For instance, did you know that the A&EG has something called the ringsword, which allows you to gain another ring slot by attaching a magic ring to the weapon? That means that a +1 ringsword poison ring can have its own ring and weapon enhancements while giving you the benefits of another ring. And if that one is also a ringsword poison ring, that would allow you to wear yet another ring, which could also be a ringsword poison ring...

And each iterative ring could have different weapon AND ring effects, allowing you to add things like spellsword enhancements, the effects of a ring of invisibility, a ring of evasion, a ring of telekinesis, etc...
    Yo dawg, I heard you liked late-oughts Internet memes, so I put a ringsword on your ringsword so you can attack while you attack.

Also on the note of rings: Apparently it deals its one damage as a touch attack, which is interestingly unusual on its own.

For the ringsword: The ringsword appears to be not a generic weapon enhancement but a Specific Magic Weapon. We can reverse-engineer it to probably be a +4,000 gp enhancement (about 4.5 times as expensive as a hand of the mage, without any telekinetic capabilities, but also slotless)...but by RAW we can't stick it on just any weapon, and while you could probably convince your DM to let you stick it on a +4 longbow or a +2 shocking battleaxe instead of a +3 longsword, getting it on a ring would probably raise some eyebrows.

For the combination: "[T]he wielder gains the benefit of the ring held on its hilt," which is obviously intended to mean "you get the magic bonus the magic ring gives you," I don't think there's a RAW argument that "being able to attack" isn't a benefit of a poison ring held on the hilt of a ringsword. If your DM lets you get away with a bunch of ringblade rings, you can probably argue that you get to attack with all of them. You just need Multiweapon Fighting...and possibly Dodge, to avoid the rulebooks your fellow players will throw at you.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2022-09-26 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The Dart Thruster (Underdark) is essentially a martial repeating hand crossbow that explicitly "holds up to three darts at one time," but since it's not a crossbow and lacks any notes regarding number of hands and only weights 1lb, it might actually be what people want a repeating hand crossbow to be: a gun they can fire multiple times with one hand. Even without the reduced proficiency that would be great, as long as the DM doesn't look to closely at how you're apparently priming three firing mechanisms and loading the darts all in a single move action (where repeating crossbows of course take a full round and require two hands for every shot), with a base price of only 40gp.

But the three dart limit makes it kinda terrible even if it does work the way you want. Unless you can get a ruling that the load action is just putting in the darts and then use an extradimensional Quick Loading- but then it can't possibly be truly one-handed since you have to be priming the springs somehow.

At first glance it looks like the true answer to the gunslinger's problem, then falls apart just as quickly once examined, and even if all that is ignored you end up with. . . 1d4 base damage at a range increment of 40'. A "gun and sword" build could have just thrown something, an actual gun user would be supported by better gun rules/gunslinger features, and TWF is basically inferior to Rapid Shot anyway since paying more feats for lower attacks on a character who is probably supposed to be "accurate" doesn't make sense.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Stage weapons can, but real weapons have thinner blades—both because that's important on the battlefield and because stage weapons aren't supposed to be sharp.

But yeah, I can definitely imagine lynxpaws that are more reasonable chain weapons than the typical fantasy flail. Dunno what kind is depicted in the actual art, but hey.
    I was thinking of the “canonical” depiction of the spiked chain actually. Chain weapons are arguably silly by default, but the way the spiked chain tends to be drawn makes it look like a double weapon, and not a two-handed reach weapon.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

There's a few weapons which give extra attacks.

The crescent knife in Dragon #275 allows attacking twice per attack. Light 1d3 exotic slashing weapon. Good for sneak attack.
    The braid blade in Dungeon #120 allows an extra attack per full attack. Light 1d3 exotic slashing weapon, 18-20/x2 crit. Also good for sneak attack.
    The Manyfang dagger in Serpent Kingdom hits 4 times quadrupling damage by default (and quintupling on a critical hit). The base damage (1d4+1)x4 is low, but with a strength of 40 and a Greater Magic Weapon for a +5 enhancement bonus, it does ~90 damage per attack that hits. It's spendy at 32K.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly you don't need 40 Str to get more than your money's worth out of the Manyfang Dagger. CL 20 GMW alone makes the damage of the weapon itself 30 or so, and that's without paying to add things like Collision on top of it.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.