New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default What non-gaming words have you *only* used in reference to gaming.

I just realized that I have never, ever used the word "iterative" outside of talking about iterative attacks in d20 games. I mean, it is a perfectly cromulent word outside of gaming, but I never had a need to use it and frankly never thought of using it.

What words do you notice that both exist in the world outside of gaming, but that you personally have never used outside of the context of gaming?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: What non-gaming words have you *only* used in reference to gaming.

The word epuration. I have nothing against it, I just never heard of it before the spell Elminster's Effulgent Epuration, and never felt like using it instead of purification.

PS: The Spell means, Elminster's Brilliant / Scintilating Purification.
    Last edited by Feantar; 2022-09-24 at 03:48 PM.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmmm… I misread the title, and thought that this was about worlds, not words. Sigh.

Words? Most any in Spell names, tbh. Contrary to my “Quertus” persona, I doubt I’ve used the word “magnificent” outside of a roleplaying setting (where, note, posting to this account counts to my definitions of a “roleplaying setting”), and I only remember using the word “mansion” once outside RPG space.

Mordenkainen? Right out.

EDIT: also, why is this in 3e, rather than general roleplaying?
    Last edited by Quertus; 2022-09-24 at 05:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Verisimilitude.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Amanuensis, avascular, celerity, and lucubration.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post

EDIT: also, why is this in 3e, rather than general roleplaying?
    Because then we get Gygaxian prose via Vance and it becomes like shooting fish in a barrel. 😀

7. - Top - End - #7

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I try to make it a point to use any of the non-fantasy specific vernacular in everyday conversation.

The way I see it, the game taught me a new thing, it would be rude not to use it!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    Verisimilitude.
    I thought of that, but I keep using it when I talk about fantasy movies and tv shows and that's technically not gaming!
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Surprisingly, I can't remember the last time I used the word "feat" in a non-gaming context. Maybe I've said something about a feat of strength once or twice?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Dexterity, constitution, and charisma are words that have uses outside of gaming, but don't really come up very often outside it. Not to say the concepts aren't relevant, they're relevant to a lot of things, but there's generally other words people will use in discussions of such concepts. This is not true of strength, intelligence, and wisdom, which I feel are just more commonly used when such concepts are relevant to the conversation. When people talk about something like wisdom or charisma, they talk about "emotional intelligence", for example.

"Incorporeal" technically isn't just a game term, but it's used exclusively for talking about things that aren't real: it has a legal definition, but generally if a situation would warrant using "incorporeal", people tend to use the word "intangible", which has different and more useful connotations (incorporeal is about something you feel should have a physical presence but doesn't, while intangible tends to be used referring to things that do not and really could not have physical presence, like ideas - "intangible concepts", for example). However, while "incorporeal" doesn't come up much IMO, "ethereal" does, because while in-game it has a cross-dimensional mechanic, IRL something that is "ethereal" could be something that has a magical quality to it ("this place feels almost ethereal"), and it's also a way of describing something that has a physical presence, something so light it practically doesn't exist ("this dress feels ethereal").

"Death throes" is a concept that technically has some use outside of gaming, but because I encounter far more things dying in games than I do IRL, there's just not as much reason to bring it up.

"Poison" isn't something that comes up in my daily life, and not just because I live in the suburbs. Poison in D&D tends to come in two forms: one that PCs coat their weapons with or put into people's drinks, which is sometimes poison? And then the poison creatures have where they bite you and poison you. Which, you may note now that you think about it, is not in fact poison. That's venom.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Defenestrate.

As in, 'Power Word: Defenestrate'.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I don't think I've ever used the word 'adjacent' outside the game, to be honest.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The phrase “5 foot step” also is not something I have used outside of gaming, although I have so used the words individually.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    .I mean, it is a perfectly cromulent word
    Nice.

I have used “initiative” as a synonym for “gumption”, but never as “going next”.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Some of the ones upthread from spell names, I didn't even know the meaning. Amanuensis, avascular, and lucubration

Defenestrate is too cool to not know when you are 8 years old. I'm sure I've only used it when someone gets tossed out a window in a movie, but I've known it a long time.

Initiative, adjacent, celerity, iterative, incorporeal, magnificent, celerity? I'd say those get used reasonably often. Adjacent and magnificent fall into near-common, I'm sure I use them a couple times a week at least.
    Verisimilitude? I know it. I'd say spoken maybe once a year.

Stat names?
    Charisma is standard. How else do you explain people who attract followers for no good reason? (religious and political figures mostly). I did learn this word from D&D, but that was 40some years ago. (And I pronounced it with a soft ch like cheese instead of a hard k for many years.)
    Constitution? Pretty standard as well. "I don't care the pizza has been on the table for 3 days, I have the constitution of a goat."
    Dexterity? Same. "I don't have the dexterity for microsoldering."
    Melee? Only when talking about a free-for-all fight with no sides, but I knew it before I was 10 (so before I learned Charisma), picked up from some book or another.
    Last edited by Elkad; 2022-09-26 at 01:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    Amanuensis, avascular, celerity, and lucubration.
    Agree with all of these, except celerity. Also, knell.

Also, half of the psionic vocabulary. Phthisic. Phrenic. Decerebrate. Apopsi, stygian, amorpha, filcher...
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-09-26 at 02:57 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    celerity
    I made the mistake of using this word in a World of Darkness game (in character), with its original meaning.

"You have Celerity?!"

No I don't, oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I don't think I've ever used the word 'adjacent' outside the game, to be honest.
    This one is baffling to me. I probably use it upwards of a dozen times a week. Mostly in regards to right-angled triangles.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    This one is baffling to me. I probably use it upwards of a dozen times a week. Mostly in regards to right-angled triangles.
    Breaks your ... verisimilitude ... does it?

I also use this word quite a lot when referring to any kind of fictional medium that I engage in.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Agree with all of these, except celerity. Also, knell.

Also, half of the psionic vocabulary. Phthisic. Phrenic. Decerebrate. Apopsi, stygian, amorpha, filcher...
    Does anyone know why they used the word Apopsi, to remove powers? It's greek, and it means opinion - it can also be used to mean someones point of view (or the literal PoV of a camera). It doesn't even exist in english. WHY? Because the subject gets to have an opinion in which power he can lose? Because you change the subject's point of view on whether to keep the powers or not?
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

Subdual. I've never really used subdued outside of D&D either, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...